Mark Zuckerberg's New $7M Home

HardOCP News

[H] News
Is property in California really this expensive? Zuckerberg bought a new home and, to be honest, it looks like your mom and dad's house. Not sure how this is a $7M home, which brings me back to my question about property value in California. Maybe it sits on 100 acres or something. :confused:

It does look damn nice, but I can't imagine it being 7 mil either.

Looks like a 1, maybe 2 mil house around here.

Turn of the century historic home on acreage in Palo Alto. Pricing seems in line. I prefer that look over some over the top monstrosity.

Well, first that's in the GOOD part of Palo Alto, up in the hills, and yeah, thats where 7 and 8 figure homes are. It's the neighborhood not that actual size of the property, it's along the lines of living in Beverly Hills, you're going to pay a steep price to live in the "nicer" (richer) parts.

second, he more than likely did what a lot of people did that absolutely fucking ruined the housing market in California when the dot com bubble was upon us, he found a house he liked and then over bid like crazy to make sure he got it. Or the real estate market is so depressed no way to sell it, so he just said "I'll take it" having a lot of money kinda works like that :D

Well, it is almost 6,000 sq ft, though it doesn't look it in the picture.

I guess it depends on the town.

Property here around Boston gets pretty pricey too.

Would you believe that the condo that is half of this two family home (picture below) amounting to about 1000sqft and a whopping 0.03 acre plot sitting about 20 minutes by car from downtown Boston goes for about $400,000?

Great. 15 more inches of snow. by mattlach, on Flickr

It's the value of the area that brings the cost of the house up so high.

looks nice, id prefer that over some huge thing that id have to pay people to clean, although I would imagine he still pays people to clean that :)

hell i downsized from 3200sq feet 5 bed room 3 bath to 2200 sq feet, 3 bedroom 2 bath, saved a crap ton of money and i dont have as much to clean.. i never want a big house again lol

Turn of the century historic home on acreage in Palo Alto. Pricing seems in line. I prefer that look over some over the top monstrosity.

Yea, he is paying for being in that part of Palo Alto. I'd consider it a very nice home (that I wouldn't pay 7mil for, but probably because I don't have 7 mil)

It would likely have cost a bit more if it had been on Lake Washington near the Gates neighborhood. Property value there is insane.

Recently I decided to stop buying games, go on a severe diet, and stop going out to save money while I work on my house(which doesn't even have kitchen right now). Putting in all the drywall, flooring, doors, paint myself. Because I like most people even making decent money am having to work hard to get by. It must be nice to have the ability to light money on fire like that while rest of us are just getting by.

"You're just mad you're not rich." No I'm not. I give what I can to other people. I volunteer. I help out. If I had more money I'd do the same. There's people really hurting in this country and I'm just continually astounded by other peoples obsession with money and disregard for the consequences.

heh. whatever.

Just imagine, if you owned that property, you'd be paying $2750.00 a month in property taxes alone. That's more than I pay for my mortgage + taxes + insurance.

and no, menial Philanthropy does not make up for it. imo of course.

It's just the shady real estate business doing their thing. "Flipping houses" and ripping people off who had no idea what they were doing. Artificially pricing housing so they get the biggest profit and make their consumers get a foreclosure. Not to mention the retard banks that wanted in on the blood sucking action. Real estate is a complete joke.

I live in a rural farming community in south florida, I have seen $1,200,000 3 bed 2 bath homes with a yard so small you can cut it with scissors. Commute to downtown miami takes about 2 hours during rush hour if you are really lucky. Real estate prices have nothing to do with the area.

You know... it's funny that people like to pay for big houses to pay more and for nothing. I don't get the whole HoA bull crap, If they mowed your lawn, that'd be pretty cool, cooler if you can get your kids in it. Like a way to ensure your lawn gets cut and your sons/daughter doing somethign responsible.

But as far as I can tell, HoA are just a bunch of dicks getting paid to tell you to cut your lawn, or what you can't do with your land. I don't live in HoA areas, so I don't know for absolute certainty, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Looks nothing like my house.

It does look like an average house, but in California it's gotta be expensive. I'd own a house like that, but only if it were ~$250,000 where I'm living now. Sounds about right. Everything is cheap here. Our $1Million house has 250 acres and a big house, a couple shops/garage areas, a lake, a pool...

If I had billions of dollars, I'd buy property all over the world and live in a different location every week or month and enjoy the various locales and cultures, that'd be an awesome way to live life.

It also depends on what the interior is like. But yeah, that's CA for you.

Yea houses in CA are pretty expensive. My relative has a 1mill+ house in norcal, and although it is pretty nice decent sized house.. if they bought a 1mill+ house in TX it would be twice as big.

He could just move to rurals of the midwest. Build a $1,000,000 home (home itself probably wouldn't cost much, but this would include security against hillbillies). Would be cheap like none other.

That house would go for less than $300k in Ohio and maybe $250k in WV.

I like that kind of house. Similar in style as mine except I'm sure it's much much newer, bigger and modern, lol

Common sense people. Its in the nice part of Palo Alto. He was renting a house down the street from this. Its not like he has not been living in an expensive home all this time. At the end of the day he lives in a nice area and reasonably close to work.

After watching the movie, I suspect he's not in charge of his money. Parents probably cosigned. As a matter of fact what is Zuckerbergs backgound. In the movie he's a spoiled arrogant brat.

To be honest, I knew California was expensive. My sister lives in California and her home cost 3x as much as mine in Alaska and her property tax is INSANE. People NOT from California just don't understand why it is so expensive there.

You could drive to the Fry's off El Camino Real in Palo Alto and not think anything of it (it's kinda grubby) Hell, you could drive by that house and never realize it's a $7M home. I guess that's what is so weird about the whole thing.

And....for the record, I like that house...just not $7M worth of "like."

I would have built a house for that much money. Even if you spent 1 Million on some land, you could STILL build a 4500sqft monstrosity for far less then 6 Million. *shrug* Each to their own though. When my wife and I get a house, we will be looking for a two bedroom. Neither of us want a huge home, we'd rather be able to travel and spend time at the coast instead of taking care of useless (to us) space.

I would have built a house for that much money. Even if you spent 1 Million on some land, you could STILL build a 4500sqft monstrosity for far less then 6 Million. *shrug* Each to their own though. When my wife and I get a house, we will be looking for a two bedroom. Neither of us want a huge home, we'd rather be able to travel and spend time at the coast instead of taking care of useless (to us) space.

I should have mentioned, we do live in CA, near Sacramento... so the homes I am speaking of still run in the $150-$200K range. I know in Johnstown PA you could get a large home on acerage for less then that. :/

Even if it was on 100 acres here, it still wouldn't be over 1 million, historical or not. A house almost identical to that one just close by was sold 2 months ago. 3 story, 26 acres, house roughly 80 years old and in fantastic condition. Went for 425k.

Then again, this is commiefornia we're talking about. You can't even buy a puppy around there without going through a lengthy 'adoption process' and spending thousands of dollars, all for a mutt. Nearly everyone there lost their minds long ago.

sounds about right. track houses in pockets of palo alto, menlo park, redwood city, etc go for 700k.

Even if it was on 100 acres here, it still wouldn't be over 1 million, historical or not. A house almost identical to that one just close by was sold 2 months ago. 3 story, 26 acres, house roughly 80 years old and in fantastic condition. Went for 425k.

Then again, this is commiefornia we're talking about. You can't even buy a puppy around there without going through a lengthy 'adoption process' and spending thousands of dollars, all for a mutt. Nearly everyone there lost their minds long ago.

Wish housing was that cheap here...you'd figure living in the middle of nowhere desert of West Texas that our housing would be reasonable. 425k gets you a large house here, but not 3 stories on 26 acres. You'll be lucky to get 3/4 of an acre at that price point.

Well everyone knows if you live in California you're automatically cooler than the rest of the country.

SLOcal fo' life!

I pay $700/mo for a bedroom, and I'm in the cheapest part of Marin, nowhere near the 'prestige' of Palo Alto. I can see how that place cost $7m. Property in CA is stupid expensive.

And I'll never leave.

Back