Mandatory Windows 10 Update Is Causing Machines to BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going through these issues is still less of a pain in the ass than dealing with linux.
I find Linux pretty easy to use. These days it is not a whole lot different than windows, except it let's you have control.

Going through these issues is still less of a pain in the ass than dealing with linux.

Maybe 5-6 years ago. Linux on the desktop is actually in really good shape today.

I moved the whole house from 7 to Linux Mint about a year ago. There's no upgrade path from 7 in the Windows ecosystem and enough games/software works in Linux nowadays that it's not really a problem to switch anymore.

Isn't this a big enough deal to at least try an alternative? Or do you need your computers to literally melt before you'll even consider something not Windows?

If you really want to try something else, try Ubuntu. It updates when YOU want.

For me, gaming is my primary use of my PC, and vast majority of my games only support windows.

Dual booting? PITA to keep switching because I often need to have websites open as well.

VM? With the experiences I have had with them on windows, you couldn't pay me enough to run anything on VM, I run native wherever possible unless I absolutely have no choice in the matter.

So until I can get a second computer to run Linux alongside another windows running machine, I don't see myself ever switching to Linux. And even then, having 2 completely isolated screens and 2 sets of keyboards/mice (or requiring to use KVM to switch between then) is a major PITA.

My priority with my PC is always games first above all else, and with that particular condition in mind, it's literally impossible for me to get rid of windows.

This is exactly the reason I'm planning to go for win 10 enterprise ltsb built.
It's sad that I have to go the "not very legit way" to have a tolerable experience, despite having a legit win 10 pro license.
I hate when microsoft shove thing down my throat. I've no control of my machine whatsoever. Professional my ass.

Thank you for the heads up, I appreciate it. No point in whining about the problem, things happen and it is good to know about it so us IT people can fix it when needed.

Maybe 5-6 years ago. Linux on the desktop is actually in really good shape today.

I moved the whole house from 7 to Linux Mint about a year ago. There's no upgrade path from 7 in the Windows ecosystem and enough games/software works in Linux nowadays that it's not really a problem to switch anymore.
I'm a noob and there's a lot of googling before I can get the simplest thing done. When there's an issue, it's not fixable. Because of the shear amount of distros and the lack of noob user base, there's not enough noob-friendly information available to help me diagnose it.

For example, I had a perfect clean install of a stable build of centos on a freshly formatted drive in my laptop. There's no dual boot or other drive that could screw it up. I followed the helpful installing wizard and installed nothing afterward because I wanted an absolute malware free system just to log in to online banking and trading sites. But the system still managed to fuck up. Sometimes at the very moment I press enter on the user login screen the system just shut down. Sadly I understand it's a problem not fixable with the knowledge I have.
I'd love to make the switch and little problems like this have always put me off.

This is exactly the reason I'm planning to go for win 10 enterprise ltsb built.
It's sad that I have to go the "not very legit way" to have a tolerable experience, despite having a legit win 10 pro license.
I hate when microsoft shove thing down my throat. I've no control of my machine whatsoever. Professional my ass.

This is revelatory for me. I was not aware of the existence of this branch of Windows 10. Thank you, seriously. (y)

Pushing a button on the mouse and clicking... Pretty [H]ard.

You have tried Linux or read about it?
Ah yes, then do explain to me how I used the safe update options on a mint box that after it was done, totally borked cinimannon ? If I simply press a button, please tell. Go on. I'll wait.

Ah yes, then do explain to me how I used the safe update options on a mint box that after it was done, totally borked cinimannon ? If I simply press a button, please tell. Go on. I'll wait.
If you can't do simple things like install a graphics driver, there is no use explaining..... :)

If you can't do simple things like install a graphics driver, there is no use explaining..... :)
Pushing a button on a mouse? Right..

1. I followed this guide to get mine working, written by ferro. I've added a few things here that might need further explanation.
  2. Note: Run commands as sudo and back up or make notes of what you change.
  3. Open /etc/default/grub and change: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nouveau.blacklist=1 quiet splash" Specifically add "nouveau.blacklist=1" to whatever you have. It will probably look like the above.
  4. Run: $ sudo update-grub2
  5. Reboot
  6. After the reboot you'll be promted to run in low graphics mode. Accept it and sign into your account.
  7. Install the Nvidia hardware drivers as you normally would through "Hardware Drivers" in the Menu.
  8. Run: $ sudo nvidia-xconfig
  9. Restart X : Alt+Ctrl+Print_Screen+K. This should restart X but if it doesn't then restart your computer
  10. Your screen should look like like your video card is working.
  11. To see if Nvidia is recognized: $ inxi -xG OR:
  12. Menu >> Nvidia X Server Settings and you should have options show up with no reported errors.
Looks like a button press to me..

1. I followed this guide to get mine working, written by ferro. I've added a few things here that might need further explanation.
  3. Open /etc/default/grub and change: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nouveau.blacklist=1 quiet splash" Specifically add "nouveau.blacklist=1" to whatever you have. It will probably look like the above.
  5. Reboot
  6. After the reboot you'll be promted to run in low graphics mode. Accept it and sign into your account.
  7. Install the Nvidia hardware drivers as you normally would through "Hardware Drivers" in the Menu.
  9. Restart X : Alt+Ctrl+Print_Screen+K. This should restart X but if it doesn't then restart your computer
  12. Menu >> Nvidia X Server Settings and you should have options show up with no reported errors.

You'll never win this argument. The users that can get it to work look down upon those who cant like some kind of troglodytes. In their mind you're simply too stupid to use their most excellent of operating systems so you don't deserve any help doing so. This has always been and always will be the problem with Linux.

You'll never win this argument. The users that can get it to work look down upon those who cant like some kind of troglodytes. In their mind you're simply too stupid to use their most excellent of operating systems so you don't deserve any help doing so. This has always been and always will be the problem with Linux.
Maybe in his mind. In the real world, his "one button push" claim is hogwash.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
Maybe in his mind. In the real world, his "one button push" claim is hogwash.
True, since I did not say one button push. :)

I would use Linux as my main if it played all my games. I have not checked to see how the Rift plays on Linux.

It's ok. You've already made an ass out of yourself.
butthurt.png

Linux is not for everybody.
When will MS stop forcing updates and just let the user go back to having control. Or have it an option but have it on by default, so the people who want to test it first can do so.

My gaming rig has been on Linux for over a year and a half now. The number of games that you can play on Linux actually dwarfs the number of games on the Xbox One, PS4 and WiiU/Switch combined.

The fact is, you will never, ever, see 100% of the games playable on Linux. If you actually want to switch, just do it already, and stop coming up with excuses. There's plenty of gaming to be had in Linux, just buck it up and join up.

For me, gaming is my primary use of my PC, and vast majority of my games only support windows.

Dual booting? PITA to keep switching because I often need to have websites open as well.

VM? With the experiences I have had with them on windows, you couldn't pay me enough to run anything on VM, I run native wherever possible unless I absolutely have no choice in the matter.

So until I can get a second computer to run Linux alongside another windows running machine, I don't see myself ever switching to Linux. And even then, having 2 completely isolated screens and 2 sets of keyboards/mice (or requiring to use KVM to switch between then) is a major PITA.

My priority with my PC is always games first above all else, and with that particular condition in mind, it's literally impossible for me to get rid of windows.

I seriously doubt that you've actually tried a real distro like Ubuntu in the last 3+ years. My entire family has switched, same with my SO, and friends are following suit. I'm calling you out here and now, because it's actually not hard. In fact, it's worlds easier than Windows.

Don't believe me? Try it out, for real. Don't half-ass it. Install Ubuntu.

They won't, because people clearly say this is okay when the market share doesn't shift. The only way the change is going to happen is when you stop fucking paying them for this bullshit. Until that happens, it won't change.

Just look at Call of Duty, Madden, and the other plethora of crapware gaming that has annual releases.

Linux is actually for everybody. It's actually easy. And I'm not only talking from my personal experience, but also the feedback my family, SO, friends, and others around me give me in response to switching.

View attachment 39448

When will MS stop forcing updates and just let the user go back to having control. Or have it an option but have it on by default, so the people who want to test it first can do so.

My gaming rig has been on Linux for over a year and a half now. The number of games that you can play on Linux actually dwarfs the number of games on the Xbox One, PS4 and WiiU/Switch combined.

The fact is, you will never, ever, see 100% of the games playable on Linux. If you actually want to switch, just do it already, and stop coming up with excuses. There's plenty of gaming to be had in Linux, just buck it up and join up.

With the following comment, I bow out of this argument.

I play games because I want to play that particular game, not because that game happens to run on my system (if it was the latter, I would have most likely switched to Linux, or have heavily considered it). If a game I want to play does not run on Linux, I have no reason to use Linux, because OS, just like the PC I have, are merely tools I use to get the games run. If a tool is useless to me, no amount of argument is ever going to convince someone to buy it.

If there is ever a day where a game I really want to play can only be played on Linux, then I will be the first to jump that ship, and you can quote me on this.

Right now, Linux doesn't do that. Hell sometimes even Windows have difficulty doing that as well. I once downgraded my OS from 8.1 to 7 on the virtue that one game refused to run (yes, 1), and I have went out of my way to build a computer whose primary reason for existing is to natively run Win XP, as I have never managed to get it working under VM environment. So, right now, I don't have much of a reason to switch to Linux from a gaming perspective.

If games decide to completely abandon DX12 and instead run on Vulkan exclusively, or if there is a game I really want but only run on Linux, I'll be the first person there. But today is not that day.

Last edited:

Windows 10 randomly implodes from updates. My Mom has been using Linux for almost a year now. No problems.

How is Linux 'not for everyone?' Sure, Windows has exclusives just like any other platform, but its already lost the completely dominant software support position it held for so long. Linux use is growing fast and that trend will accellerate as Windows 7 approaches it's real end-of-life. Windows 10 is objectively a terrible product and people are looking elsewhere.

If windows is so critical to the world and people can't use anything else... It needs to be taken out of Microsoft's hands.

A common theme with windows fuckups is Microsoft. So fix the problem.

Sure people argue Linux isn't for everyone. Guess what neither is windows, it's disgusting

I seriously doubt that you've actually tried a real distro like Ubuntu in the last 3+ years. My entire family has switched, same with my SO, and friends are following suit. I'm calling you out here and now, because it's actually not hard. In fact, it's worlds easier than Windows.

Don't believe me? Try it out, for real. Don't half-ass it. Install Ubuntu.
You'd be wrong then. I run my mumble server on mint. It serves its purpose.

Reading all this I'm just shaking my head.

For some reason MS and Win10 reminds me of working for a supervisor that doesn't like you but can't fire you. So he give you all the crap work that is really beneath you and not what you were hired for hoping you will get mad and quit.
You can only make the best of it for so long.

Reactions: Madoc
like this
Windows 10 randomly implodes from updates. My Mom has been using Linux for almost a year now. No problems.

How is Linux 'not for everyone?' Sure, Windows has exclusives just like any other platform, but its already lost the completely dominant software support position it held for so long. Linux use is growing fast and that trend will accellerate as Windows 7 approaches it's real end-of-life. Windows 10 is objectively a terrible product and people are looking elsewhere.
Because if it was for everyone then MS would not be in business? Unfortunately there are still things that some people have to use Windows for even if they don't want to.

It always gives me a laugh to watch the 3 total Linux users come into these types of threads and attempt to pound their chest. :D

like this
update screwed up my keyboard's macrokey and rog gaming key.
need to run macrokey software manually first to get the macros to work, at every reboot
the gaming key remains dead despite reinstalling whatever drivers that are available on the net.
fckn microsoft sticking their fingers into things which aint broke again....

5. Reboot
Then you are doing it wrong.

The driver manager does all that.. don't blame the tool because you went full retard.
Can you do it that way? sure... do you have to ... no Get over yourself
nvidia-desktop-1.png

insider 1709 build 17017 installed last night. so far so good.

oh and piss off with the Linux shit. let one fucking thread stay on topic, ffs

like this
oh and piss off with the Linux shit. let one fucking thread stay on topic, ffs

How is it not on topic? Stories like this reinforce the growing consensus that there are serious problems with Windows 10. Linux on the desktop has improved to the point of being a legitimate option for most people around here, even for gaming.

I'd like to see a repeat of the '30 Days with Linux' article [H]OCP ran back in 2007.

look at the thread title "Mandatory Windows 10 Update Is Causing Machines to BSOD" where the fuck does it say anything about Linux!? that's why its not on topic.
if you want to spout about linux start a fucking linux thread and leave the windows threads alone, ffs! "move to linux" "try linux" "windows sux" doesnt fucking help...

look at the thread title "Mandatory Windows 10 Update Is Causing Machines to BSOD" where the fuck does it say anything about Linux!? that's why its not on topic.
if you want to spout about linux start a fucking linux thread and leave the windows threads alone, ffs! "move to linux" "try linux" "windows sux" doesnt fucking help...
It helped me!

Windows 10/8 sucks, I loved 7 and Vista 64. Weird that they have massive spyware on their OS yet it seems like they keep doing the opposite of what I would personally like in an OS.(Others to maybe). Get rid of the spyware, bloatware, metro, and auto anything crap and it might be a good OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back