Man Cave Project

Man, this thread is all kind of [H]ard. Awesome work!

Can you provide some more info on your custom monitor mount? I'd love to make one of those for my two monitors, but most commercial stands only work up to about 22".

What is all that for? Looks awsome

I am just a big nerd and need this all to help satisfy my technolust. :) I do a lot of testing, experimenting, sand boxing, study etc here at the house. Say we are going to pull off a domain migration at work. I can whip up a similar scenario at the house and be ready to tear it up at the office.

This isn't my dream room but it's getting close.

Man, this thread is all kind of [H]ard. Awesome work!

Can you provide some more info on your custom monitor mount? I'd love to make one of those for my two monitors, but most commercial stands only work up to about 22".

The arm is built with the following pieces

Chief KTA325B Triple Monitor Arm ( This will hold three 25" monitors)
1 1/2" Galvanized Steel Pipe
1 1/2" Floor Flange

The arms are available all over the net. I picked up the threaded galvanize pipe from Ace Hardware. If I remember correctly Lowes and Home Depot don't sell it in that size. If you are having a hard time finding the pipe and floor flange check plumbers shops. I've also seen the floor flanges on eBay.

The rest was simple. Bolt the floor flange to your desk and screw the pipe into it. Then attach the arm to the pipe. The mount is extremely solid!

Nice! looking good. Inspiring, as I've been planning out my server room myself. I don't have the money now though, but it will be a project soon in the future... first I need to fix my weeping tiles, kinda important eh lol.

I am so jealous! That makes my basement look like crap! lol
You have a neater setup than 90 percent of the businesses I have worked in. Cheers to you!

I am so jealous! That makes my basement look like crap! lol
You have a neater setup than 90 percent of the businesses I have worked in. Cheers to you!

LOL, thanks, I appreciate that. I've had a few setups over the years and none of them were real nice. This one still isn't perfect but it's getting there.

LOL, thanks, I appreciate that. I've had a few setups over the years and none of them were real nice. This one still isn't perfect but it's getting there.

hell your rack is nicer than my office rack.

Nice! looking good. Inspiring, as I've been planning out my server room myself. I don't have the money now though, but it will be a project soon in the future... first I need to fix my weeping tiles, kinda important eh lol.

that depends on how often you feel like rebuilding the server room....

Ahhhh, this is killing me. My monitors are in and sitting in my office. I've got one more night of studying my butt off and then the exam tomorrow.

Good luck at training! Looking forward to seeing the finished geek cave.

What monitors did you end up getting? I can't afford IPS right now, but the Acer TN I picked up last month does okay, so I might have to grab a couple more of those in the next couple of months... and copy your monitor mount exactly. ;)

Your room is really coming together, I think I am going to use it as inspiration for my room sans-servers if that's okay with you. :)

Be sure to post pictures of your monitors after your exam, its a shame to see such a nice mount holding a bunch of 17 inchers.

By the way have you thought about getting one more extension from IKEA and cutting it to fit the gap between the two desks? It would look nice but I guess it doesn't really add any functionality, so it might not be worth the money. Just something to think about if you see a piece on craigslist.

Your room is really coming together, I think I am going to use it as inspiration for my room sans-servers if that's okay with you. :)

Be sure to post pictures of your monitors after your exam, its a shame to see such a nice mount holding a bunch of 17 inchers.

By the way have you thought about getting one more extension from IKEA and cutting it to fit the gap between the two desks? It would look nice but I guess it doesn't really add any functionality, so it might not be worth the money. Just something to think about if you see a piece on craigslist.

I actually have a piece that I can cut down. I need to look at the frame section I have and see what I can do.

I took the ITIL V3 foundations exam yesterday and think I did pretty well. Won't know for a few days though.

I mounted the monitors last night but was exhausted so I haven't hooked them up yet. I have a ATI 6870 video card on the way that will allow me to do the eyefinity thing. I'll probably hook up at least one of them after work tonight.

Thanks for all the comments and ideas, I really appreciate it.

I have the monitors mounted and leveled. My video card should be in on Tuesday along with all my cables. I had to buy some longer video cables (HDMI, Displayport, DVI) so that I could keep my computer where I wanted it along with keep things clean.

Seems like every time I get a piece of the project in the room turns into a disaster.

mc19.JPG

mc20.JPG

I still need a couple chairs or something for the back wall along with stuff to hand on the walls.

I think you need a bigger keyboard, man that thing looks tiny next to those big monitors.

so what is that xserve going to do ;)

Love the space man, wish i could get something like that together.

so what is that xserve going to do ;)

Love the space man, wish i could get something like that together.

Just picked up that server from a buddy at work. Looking forward to getting it racked up so I can play around with it. Haven't done much with Mac.

This is an All American Badass setup. Very nice.

I should probably give the story behind that. A couple years back I was giving someone my email address and thought to myself "that doesn't sound cool at all". That is when I decided to buy allamericanbadass.com :)

I am trying to talk my Wife out of the sleather love seat up stairs. We'll see what happens :)

Ran into a small problem.....well, a pretty big problem. Because this desk sits in a corner the monitor arm has to be pushed closer to the user so that it clears the walls. When the 3 monitors are mounted to it you have to turn your heard quite a bit to be able to see the edges. To me that was unacceptable so the factory monitor stands came out and the monitors were rotated into portrait view. I've never used monitors in this configuration but thus far I think it will be alright. I may try putting them back into landscape on the factory stands.

mc24.JPG

NO! Not your amazing stand! Functionality should always come second to awesome stuff.

btw, are you running linux?

NO! Not your amazing stand! Functionality should always come second to awesome stuff.

btw, are you running linux?

LOL, yeah I hear you! I may cut down the stand so that I can put it further back with the monitors the way they are sitting now.

I am running Ubuntu. I've been running different flavors of linux for a decade or so. I don't think I'll ever switch back to Windows. Windows 7 is a good product but doesn't provide me the tools and flexibility that I need.

I did a bit more playing around and it looks like the stand is going to work fine. I had to pull the desk away from the wall a couple inches which allowed me the adjustment that I needed to get the monitors into a comfortable position.

I was able to get the data rack secured using 1/2" concrete anchors. Nice and solid now.

Good to hear you got your mount to work.

I just bought my galant desk today. I knew it was expensive, but I didn't realize how expensive. $455 for the complete desk I wanted. I ended up leaving off the end half circles so that brought it down to $350. I figured I can always pick up more extensions on craigslist later.

Back