Magical RTX Drivers

I've seen videos on youtube and read lots of articles. those 1 in 5 articles/videos/reviews with benchmarks that recommend viewers/readers buy the RTX 2080 and admit its a tiny increase in performance from the 1080 TI seem to always say something along the lines of "we should expect to see further increases once drivers are created and mobos are optimized etc etc" or something of that nature.

My question is, how long would it take for these so called drivers to appear? another week? another month? another 6 months? I honestly wanna write the RTX off, but I guess i gotta still hold a glimmer of hope that these magical drivers will provide more than the measly 3-5 FPS 1440p boost we are seeing between the 1080 TI vs the 2080 RTX (and some times the FPS drops in certain games...)

Well if anyone has any experience with driver optimization and creation etc, please let me know. I wanna be able to say I waited for driver optimization but not if its gonna arrive after x-mas. i draw the line there cuz at that point I wanna get my new build monitor and i'll have to pull the trigger by then. (non ray tracing related drivers i mean, drivers that would give more FPS for traditional gaming)

The 2080 FE has 7% less TFLOPs and memory bandwidth than a 1080Ti FE. I had them tied in performance after the L1/L2 cache changes, so I am surprised it's faster at all.

Wait for 7nm cards if you want to play games at anywhere near 60 fps at 1440p with any ray tracing effects on.

well i would wait but im on a five year old computer using a nvidia 760 in a form factor so i need a new rig. (i waited 1 year longer than i had planned cuz of the mining craze prices and lame anticipation of RTX.) :( i was wanting to build a 1440p machine for 100+ fps on some upcoming games like camelot unchained, crowfall, and lost ark. those games arent due out until 2019. but my monitor sucks has missing pixels etc cuz of damage to it haha. so its immersion breaking.

i can't play witcher 3, dragon age, black desert online or kingdom come deliverance just out of principal as its a waste of gaming fun/enjoyment to view it on low settings. its like looking at card board boxes running around haha. :wtf: so yeah, i guess if i was an unfeeling machine i would wait for 7nm, but for now I'm gonna prolly get a 1080 TI or a 1080. the 1080 ti will definitely hold me at 1440p 60-100 FPS for the next 1-2 years until newer cards come out i guess and I can re-sell it when it becomes even more aged hahah.

NV will slowly butcher 1080Ti performance with each new driver release so after few months difference will be very noticeable (y)

Every single gen for the past 25 years we've heard nonsense about magical drivers that will improve performance impossibly oher "the coming months". Every single gen these claims turn out to be absurdly exaggerated. And especially now, seeing there's nothing exciting about 20xx performance, nV has every motivation to posit this claim.

The performance you see now on the 2080 will generally be the same you will see a year from now.

NV will slowly butcher 1080Ti performance with each new driver release so after few months difference will be very noticeable (y)
I can't tell by your emoticon if you're joking but I presume you are. If you're indeed serious, nvidia has never done this in the past have they? HardOCP did an analysis of nvidia drivers that were released over time during the 980 Ti and 1080 era, and no such loss in performance occurred between generations.

It seems like nvidia would be shooting themselves in the foot and would be the ridicule of all the PC hardware sites if they were to ever pull this stunt.

I can't tell by your emoticon if you're joking but I presume you are. If you're indeed serious, nvidia has never done this in the past have they? HardOCP did an analysis of nvidia drivers that were released over time during the 980 Ti and 1080 era, and no such loss in performance occurred between generations.

It seems like nvidia would be shooting themselves in the foot and would be the ridicule of all the PC hardware sites if they were to ever pull this stunt.
For existing titles it's obvious. For new ones with heavy sponsorship, who knows?

For all we know it's probably months before the RTX series drivers could be considered mature. I fully expect most of the improvements will be in the raytracing side when games that support it are out for more people to try. Even then we are most likely looking at something way less than 10 fps difference but maybe a more noticeable one in minimum framerates.

If you need a GPU now, buy a used 980 Ti/1070/1080/1080 Ti and upgrade to the 7nm models when they come out. Any of the past gen cards will do just fine for 1080p or 1440p.

There are going to be no magical drivers. Didn't HardOCP debunk this along with the driver gimping?

The 2080 FE has 7% less TFLOPs and memory bandwidth than a 1080Ti FE. I had them tied in performance after the L1/L2 cache changes, so I am surprised it's faster at all.

RTX cards have effectively more bandwidth. They’ve optimized how it uses the BW it has. It’s in the whitepaper.

Previous claims of this have been debunked by [H] and I think Brent said he plans to do it again.

OP I would not expect more gains in traditional games. I do look forward to DLSS 2X and ray tracing however. So nothing magical except actually utilizing ~1/3 of the die that uses those things...

OP, don't even worry about this. Buy a 1080ti now, at the best prices they've ever been, and be happy. The 2080 makes zero practical sense at this point, unless you're flat-out guzzling the raytracing hype.

You should really only be considering the 2080 if you absolutely believe, in spite of all precedence and reason, that the 2080 will still be relevant by the time raytracing is.

The 2080ti make a tad more sense since it's actually faster than a 1080ti, but you get 30% more performance for (at this point) >100% more cost... your call.

You have no proof of that, it's based on your own opinion:unsure:

I've seen videos on youtube and read lots of articles. those 1 in 5 articles/videos/reviews with benchmarks that recommend viewers/readers buy the RTX 2080 and admit its a tiny increase in performance from the 1080 TI seem to always say something along the lines of "we should expect to see further increases once drivers are created and mobos are optimized etc etc" or something of that nature.

My question is, how long would it take for these so called drivers to appear? another week? another month? another 6 months? I honestly wanna write the RTX off, but I guess i gotta still hold a glimmer of hope that these magical drivers will provide more than the measly 3-5 FPS 1440p boost we are seeing between the 1080 TI vs the 2080 RTX (and some times the FPS drops in certain games...)

Well if anyone has any experience with driver optimization and creation etc, please let me know. I wanna be able to say I waited for driver optimization but not if its gonna arrive after x-mas. i draw the line there cuz at that point I wanna get my new build monitor and i'll have to pull the trigger by then. (non ray tracing related drivers i mean, drivers that would give more FPS for traditional gaming)

it's upto NV when the time is right to release the new drivers not your time line, also not every game will have the highest FPS no card is that good not even the RTX

Last edited:
If I were in the same shoes building a new rig, I would grab a $200 580 8GB, and a cheap Free Sync monitor and see what happens in another year. I would say not being vested in nVidia at this point is a good thing, can't wait to see how expensive the 3xxx series will be next year.

WTF are you talking about? The benches speak for themselves. The RTX cards LOVE Vulkan and spit out tremendous FPS.

it's a PC Hardware fan sites, the name speaks for it self so WTF you are on about?

Actually in the long run (i.e., more than 2 years) the performance difference between generations drops back to launch difference because neither are getting driver updates. You only get a small bump ~6-9 months into a generation because the previous generation gets support dropped. I'm talking about Nvidia here. With AMD, all their cards tend to get faster over time, if only because the gains tend to carry over between "generations" because they haven't seriously changed their architecture for ages--it's more like everything unintentionally gets faster with driver updates lmao.

And you believe marketing crap from guru3d
What an idiotic comment. If you bothered to do your homework you would see the benches roughly correspond to those in other reviews.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1334...tx-2080-ti-and-2080-founders-edition-review/9
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_RTX_2080_Founders_Edition/29.html

RTX cards (as well as AMDs Vega) are more capable on a hardware level to deal with low level APIs like Vulkan and DX12. Pascal, although improved over Maxwell, still relies more on software, driver optimizations to achieve the same, not always with good results.

What an idiotic comment. If you bothered to do your homework

It was not a idiotic comment has you put it, they are known to have fan based crap IMO, today there is too much BS and fake news and youtube have become a fan based website it's a shame now day's we have to see through all the BS, and marketing is more worse then it's ever been and the media plays a big part of it too, Nvidia and AMD have played many dirty tricks over the years and we still trust them! You will have to look on other websites to understand why I will not post links here this is not the thread or fair to the OP, maybe it's hard to understand all of this because many people don't want to do there homework and some want to turn a blind eye around them on what's going on or maybe they are suck in too much and don't know which way to turn but now there is another big problem we have to deal with all the fanboys and online bullies.

It was not a idiotic comment has you put it, they are known to have fan based crap IMO, today there is too much BS and fake news and youtube have become a fan based website it's a shame now day's we have to see through all the BS, and marketing is more worse then it's ever been and the media plays a big part of it too, Nvidia and AMD have played many dirty tricks over the years and we still trust them! You will have to look on other websites to understand why I will not post links here this is not the thread or fair to the OP, maybe it's hard to understand all of this because many people don't want to do there homework and some want to turn a blind eye around them on what's going on or maybe they are suck in too much and don't know which way to turn but now there is another big problem we have to deal with all the fanboys and online bullies.
Blah blah editorial rant ... seriously grow up. Either post relevant benchmarks that are reproducible by multiple websites to prove a point or you have nothing. Just blabbering about "too much BS" or "fan sites" with nothing to back up your claims is hilarious. Rants are pathetic and offer nothing.

Getting back to the point, low level APIs like Vulkan and DX12 will favor RTX and AMD more than Pascal or Maxwell as we get more titles featuring these APIs.

Blah blah editorial rant ... seriously grow up. Either post relevant benchmarks that are reproducible by multiple websites to prove a point or you have nothing. Just blabbering about "too much BS" or "fan sites" with nothing to back up your claims is hilarious. Rants are pathetic and offer nothing.

Getting back to the point, low level APIs like Vulkan and DX12 will favor RTX and AMD more than Pascal or Maxwell as we get more titles featuring these APIs.

Really now we are do personal attacks on members Wow;) I thought if I write it this the bullies would come out of the wood work with their followers Thanks:):) you prove my point.:):)

Last edited:
Really now we are do personal attacks on members Wow;) I thought if I write it this the bullies would come out of the wood work with their followers Thanks:):) you prove my point.:):)

you speak like a 11 years old child with pure bs statement with not proof of any claim... just hurted because there is a new generation of GPUs that he cant afford and it is just much better than the current card he is using lol. i have seen you in other threads trolling and speaking pure BS with zero proof of anything..

Actually in the long run (i.e., more than 2 years) the performance difference between generations drops back to launch difference because neither are getting driver updates. You only get a small bump ~6-9 months into a generation because the previous generation gets support dropped. I'm talking about Nvidia here. With AMD, all their cards tend to get faster over time, if only because the gains tend to carry over between "generations" because they haven't seriously changed their architecture for ages--it's more like everything unintentionally gets faster with driver updates lmao.

which its the same that has been happening to Nvidia cards since maxwell as the diferences between maxwell and pascal were small, and the differences from pascal to volta/turing are also small, so I think that will keep relevant maxwell for another couple of years, Im still impressed on how well has aged the tiny GTX 970 Its still a very nice 1080P GPU after 4 years. maxwell in general has been aging really good due pascal uarch similarities that may get a bit extended with turing improvements.

He didn't personally attack you, he called you out on your BS. Those are two entirely different things. He didn't bully you either. He asked you to put up or shut up, which I think is entirely ok as you have been posting a lot of sensational stuff with no evidence or links to backup your claims. Also, he is 100% right in what he says, the new Turing cards are much better in Vulkan and Dx12 than Pascal cards.

This is nothing new.

1) New features are introduced which provide performance advantages when leveraged (e.g. Rapid Packed Math, Tile-based Rendering, Async Compute, etc)
2) As time passes, new games are able to implement these features
3) Newer hardware benefits from the performance advantages more than previous generations due to hardware support

There is no reason that either AMD or NVIDIA would intentionally cripple older hardware, as it would be trivial to prove by any competent tester.

Back