All I remember about Mafia is waking up every morning in the 2nd game, raiding Joe's fridge and going out into the world with my yellow Dick Tracy suit on and 6 beers and sandwiches in my belly.

And Joe screaming VITO TAKE YA FOOT OFF THA FUKIN ACCELERATA as we fly so far into the air that we slam into the 2nd story of a building and die instantly.

All while listening to music that adds to the hilarity:

All I remember about Mafia is waking up every morning in the 2nd game, raiding Joe's fridge and going out into the world with my yellow Dick Tracy suit on and 6 beers and sandwiches in my belly.

And Joe screaming VITO TAKE YA FOOT OFF THA FUKIN ACCELERATA as we fly so far into the air that we slam into the 2nd story of a building and die instantly.

"C'mon baby, let's see what ya got."

I surely do wish that redone Mafia 1 was out now.

Last edited:
I thought Mafia 3 was meant to be a visually impressive game? Looks pretty subpar so far, muddy low res textures as far as the eye can see....doesn't hold a candle to GTA V.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I thought Mafia 3 was meant to be a visually impressive game? Looks pretty subpar so far, muddy low res textures as far as the eye can see....doesn't hold a candle to GTA V.

They could of done a lot better. It's not a terrible looking game, but it is for sure lacking in a lot of areas. I just hope with the Mafia 1 remake that it looks better, and doesn't have the terrible pop-in like Mafia 3 has.

like this

I agree. It was a subpar port.

That being said there are some nice tips and tweaks out there. First off, the in game AA is horrendous. Disable it or run it on the lowest setting at most. This is the most important graphics tip by far.

Depending on what video card you have consider using options from that vs in game.

Consider using Reshade or SweetFX and upping Lumasharpen and Vibrance per preferences.

Do a search for "mafia 3 graphics tweaks PC" without the quotes and there are some more tips. These days it can look good but GTA V is still pretty impressive no doubt.

Playing Mafia 2 Definitive Edition, it is improved visually but not up to current type standards. Performance is great on a Vega FE. Having a very good time, no bugs/crashes/flickers etc. Seems like a solid release. Love the feel, story and the car handling is great. I played the 2010 version up to around 85% but somehow corrupted the save file so never completed the story. Will this time and all the included DLCs.

Only way I beat the race in first Mafia was by using a controller, I don't know how many times I failed using the keyboard. Ended up buying a controller and like the 2nd or 3rd time was able to complete the race. One of my favorite games of all time. The Definitive edition says HDR which would make it more modern then Mafia II and III, plus the images makes Mafia 1 look the best of the three. Very much look forward to it.

$40 seems a bit steep for Mafia 1 Remaster, but I imagine the amount of work on that was probably pretty significant compared to the other titles.

like this
$40 seems a bit steep for Mafia 1 Remaster, but I imagine the amount of work on that was probably pretty significant compared to the other titles.
Well worth it to me. I haven't bought a $40 game in the past decade I've liked more than the original Mafia. I get your point, but it's basically a new game with the same plot.

like this

For all intends and purposes it is a new game, save for script and maybe voice acting/sound track. $40 seems fair.

As for Mafia 3 graphics I'll echo what others said. I remember it being notably washed out to the point it looked a bit bad in some areas. Had the odd overly done bloom that was popular in the mid 2000s. And while a bit of a nitpick as I realized it wasn't set in New Orleans but rather a city based on New Orleans, but people spoke with southern accents if I recall which isn't really correct for the city. I'll chalk it up to them being unable to find voice actors from New Orleans.

Last edited:
I agree. It was a subpar port.

That being said there are some nice tips and tweaks out there. First off, the in game AA is horrendous. Disable it or run it on the lowest setting at most. This is the most important graphics tip by far.

Holy crap you weren't kidding! I can actually now see the unimpressive brown textures instead of a washed our blurry mess!! I honestly cannot recall previously seeing any implementation of AA as bad as this.

like this
Holy crap you weren't kidding! I can actually now see the unimpressive brown textures instead of a washed our blurry mess!! I honestly cannot recall previously seeing any implementation of AA as bad as this.

It's unbelievable and they never fixed it.

The over abundance of drab brown doesn't help the game either so that's where SweetFX or Reshade has to come in.

Mafia 3 is a "good game" overall but it's more like some kind of distant side afterthought to the first two games for me. Or maybe it's the "Godfather 3" of this series. Mafia 3 really could have been and should have been something special.

Last edited:
IGN has an article saying, "Mafia: Definitive Edition is using Mafia 3 mechanics." At first glance, that doesn't look good. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

https://www.ign.com/articles/mafia-...hanics-and-learning-from-the-sequels-mistakes

If they're using Mafia 3's mechanics I won't touch it. Mafia 3 didn't have bad gameplay but it's not what the original game was going for and I feel will ultimately make it a much worse game in the end.

I'm not at all surprised that it's being pushed back since it sounds like they're using the same engine as M3 which last I looked the game had been patched multiple times trying to fix core mechanics and graphics issues since the re-release with each patch ending up breaking more than it fixes.

I had high hopes(and low expectations) when it was announced and figured that it at least meant that the series hadn't been abandoned but if the remake of the first is a complete disaster then it would hurt the chances of there being future games in the series.

I have so far spent 9 hours on Mafia 3 and it is such a tedious borefest.....same repetitive gameplay loop with little to no variation, uninteresting characters, unoriginal plot and terrible weapons handling. So far it just feels like a chore to play, don't know that I can force myself to finish it.

I have so far spent 9 hours on Mafia 3 and it is such a tedious borefest.....same repetitive gameplay loop with little to no variation, uninteresting characters, unoriginal plot and terrible weapons handling. So far it just feels like a chore to play, don't know that I can force myself to finish it.

I agree that the game is very repetitive which is the biggest issue IMO.

I can't really argue with the other stuff either but I will say that weapon handling wasn't really much of an issue to me because the vast majority of combat situations are designed with stealth more in mind, my favorite part of the game was clearing out areas without anyone even realizing that something was going on. It was a fun challenge to get the order and timing right to take someone out when nobody was near then hide the body before it's seen(if you're near water you can feed the gators to completely get rid of them).

I agree that the game is very repetitive which is the biggest issue IMO.

I can't really argue with the other stuff either but I will say that weapon handling wasn't really much of an issue to me because the vast majority of combat situations are designed with stealth more in mind, my favorite part of the game was clearing out areas without anyone even realizing that something was going on. It was a fun challenge to get the order and timing right to take someone out when nobody was near then hide the body before it's seen(if you're near water you can feed the gators to completely get rid of them).

I don't find the stealth mechanics at all interesting, partly because other games have done it much better and mostly because it entails the same repetition across most missions. I am pretty much going full Rambo to get through the game as quickly as possible, which is why the mediocre gunplay is so noticeable. Literally the only weapons you need are the silenced pistol and a sniper rifle.

Yea game started off great and had a decent ending but all the in-between stuff was ugh.

I don't find the stealth mechanics at all interesting, partly because other games have done it much better and mostly because it entails the same repetition across most missions. I am pretty much going full Rambo to get through the game as quickly as possible, which is why the mediocre gunplay is so noticeable. Literally the only weapons you need are the silenced pistol and a sniper rifle.
Fair enough other games have certainly done stealth better. To clarify though I was referring to hand to hand takedowns, the silenced pistol was super easy mode other than hiding the bodies and I think I only used the sniper rifle in one of dlc missions.

I'd probably hate the game if I tried to run and gun it because as you say the gunplay sucks and it really shows in the handful of missions where you're forced into it.

It was simply an uninspired game throughout. Ever notice how Lincoln shouts aloud in an age before cellphones existed, and magically your buddies come up to swap your weapons out or carry away your cash and the like? It stood out like a sore thumb, they were clearly trying to copy GTA4 with its phone mechanic when it didn't fit in the time frame. Side quests were very repetitive are required to progress the game.

And I know it wasn't technically New Orleans, but it was very obviously based on it yet the accents were wrong. Pretty much everyone had a southern accent if I recall rather than the actual New Orleans accents.

14 minutes of Mafia: Definitive Edition 4K gameplay footage
Poor sound design, poor physics (one of the key features of Mafia), and Paulie looks and sounds nothing like Paulie. Looks like a terrible remake in the making.

Mafia: Definitive Edition- Welcome to the City of Lost Heaven

Experience classic Mafia missions in this iconic city, completely rebuilt from the ground up...

Back