Mafia III

The first 2 or 3 hours is the best part of the game.
Although I stopped playing after a few zones of the grind portion, in the middle of the game.

Yeah, I watched his review today. I was on the fence with this game before release (Didn't like M1 and didn't play M2) and then listened to all the complaints people were saying and then saw AJ's full review. I'd say he did a great job because he covered everyone's complaints and added a few of his own. I'm passing on mafia 3.

The physics are so off its fucking retarded lol... Yeah, they want people to pay full price for this garbage? lmao.

Wait for the Steam sale or the hefty GMG discount or some such.

There's enough here to like once a few patches come through and the price drops. I'm glad I got it as cheaply as I did otherwise I would have stayed on the fence as well.

Check this out. Before and after the reshade mod that takes out the blur and makes colors a bit more vivid. I don't have the game yet to test, has anyone tried?

http://m.imgur.com/a/Awpoq
I just noticed in these screenshots that it looks like there is no AO being used in this game at all. It really makes a huge difference and is instantly noticeable in this day and age. Does forcing AO in the NVIDIA control panel work with this game?
Wait for the Steam sale or the hefty GMG discount or some such.

There's enough here to like once a few patches come through and the price drops. I'm glad I got it as cheaply as I did otherwise I would have stayed on the fence as well.
Yeah, I don't usually say this, but I'm waiting for a deep discount on this one. I'm still interested in playing it, but it doesn't have the quality of a full priced title. Maybe when it hits $20 I'll buy it.

I regret paying 35 for it. Can't win everything though. Still at the start so am enjoying this game. The mirror reflections are one of the best I have seen lol.

Patch released. 1.2 GB, I think.

PC Update: We just rolled out a hotfix on PC that addresses blurry rendering for some players, and other stability improvements

Nice. I had blurry rendering. Fixed it by turning off motion blur and reducing AA to medium.

Definitely still do this: Turn in game AA down to Low. (this is the lowest setting.) You can try medium but I went down to low. I'm not sure what kind of AA this is. Turn off Depth of Field and motion blur as well.

AO is an option in the menu since someone asked about that earlier.

The story/characters are its strongest quality next to the excellent combat mechanics.

It's more of a revenge story then Mafia 1's classic style mafia story. It does have some great characters and the setting, etc helps drive it's more uniqueness.

It's just a shame that the game itself focuses you so much on doing the repetitive taking over districts gameplay loop and drip feeds you the story , unlike Mafia I/II where the story was it's main focus an dit didn't throw "filler" at you like the GTA games/ubisoft style game design. Mafia 3 is much more like those games then Mafia I/II.

Which is a shame, if they would have just stuck with it's narrative focus (like the first 3 or so hours of the game) it could be great, there was no reason they needed to pad out the game or try to make it into a gta/ubisoft style game.

A good high quality heavily narrative driven 12-15 hour game vs a 30-hour super-repetitive game with a great story buried underneath a LOT of grind , I'd gladly take the 12-15 hour one.

I got this game cheap thanks to rebates and discounts so I'm probably in a more forgiving mood but overall what I see here is a 7.5/10 game that could end up being at least an 8/10 game depending on the post release support. I couldn't recommend a full price purchase with a straight face as is.

I'm mildly encouraged so far based on the two patches they have put out already. I'm still a bit concerned at the hardware duress/performance for what you're getting out of this game. My 980ti sounds like I'm running Witcher 3 at 4K and it just shouldn't be.

There is a good story here..revenge and absolution of sorts with lots of shades of gray.... and the gameplay itself is fairly solid "GTA like" gameplay for the most part... but yes there is quite a bit of Ubisoft-ish repetition and paddding. So it's got a bit of everything in this.

I'm enjoying it all in all for what it is. I constantly alternate what I do and the story is enough to keep me going.

Keep an eye on this if you're interested. It will be worth it if you see it hit the price you want and you see more improvements on the items that pretty much everyone who likes the game like me on down all agree on are issues.

This isn't No Man's Sky. This isn't a hopeless, lost cause. Just wait. Be patient.

I'd say wait for a Steam Christmas sale. Probably be half price or wait for Steam's Summer sale next year when it will be $20 or less. Otherwise its a total pass and see if they do a Mafia 4 and learn their lesson.

A good high quality heavily narrative driven 12-15 hour game vs a 30-hour super-repetitive game with a great story buried underneath a LOT of grind , I'd gladly take the 12-15 hour one.
Agreed, but then you get a lot of complaints that the game is too short for $60. The grinding is overkill just to pad out the game. It's a shitty way to make it appear like you got your money's worth while 2K is laughing all the way to the bank.

Agreed, but then you get a lot of complaints that the game is too short for $60. The grinding is overkill just to pad out the game. It's a shitty way to make it appear like you got your money's worth while 2K is laughing all the way to the bank.

Right, although it's an all too common a practice perfected by the likes of Ubisoft.

To be fair, Ubisoft "got better" with some of the more ridiculous and tedious bloat in more recent titles like AC Syndicate but we can thank them for setting the tone.

If I had to gauge it in terms of meaningful content (main story, key missions, worthwhile side and optional missions with key characters) and take a hard cut to a lot of that bloat, it's probably still a good 20-30 solid hours, harshly graded and depending on how people play, give or take.

I'm up to 18 hours. I've done a little bit of the bloat but my routine with any of these games is if I'm headed to an important target on a map I'll knock off things I see on the nearby radar on my way to that target. I won't deviate and I won't tediously hit areas on the map deliberately.

I'm a thorough player but I'm not going to be super OCD because it frankly isn't worth it.

Frame of reference:

I just finished the part in the main story where you get everyone together for their first sit down together with Lincoln laying down the law.

I'm sure I'll get a good 30-40 hours out of this game without going nuts.

Last edited:
Right, although it's an all too common a practice perfected by the likes of Ubisoft.

To be fair, Ubisoft "got better" with some of the more ridiculous and tedious bloat in more recent titles like AC Syndicate but we can thank them for setting the tone.

If I had to gauge it in terms of meaningful content (main story, key missions, worthwhile side and optional missions with key characters) and take a hard cut to a lot of that bloat, it's probably still a good 20-30 solid hours, harshly graded and depending on how people play, give or take.

I'm up to 18 hours. I've done a little bit of the bloat but my routine with any of these games is if I'm headed to an important target on a map I'll knock off things I see on the nearby radar on my way to that target. I won't deviate and I won't tediously hit areas on the map deliberately.

I'm a thorough player but I'm not going to be super OCD because it frankly isn't worth it.

Frame of reference:

I just finished the part in the main story where you get everyone together for their first sit down together with Lincoln laying down the law.

I'm sure I'll get a good 30-40 hours out of this game without going nuts.
Glad to see your take on it. I like open world games but it looks like they just ran out of creative ideas outside of the main missions.

Filler missions aren't bad if they are optional, give useful items or add to the story. If it's just to gain nothing but exp or fluff then it's weak game design.

Maybe 2K had a smaller budget or they didn't have enough game devs to make it a better game. If that's the case, make it a 15-20 hour game and sell it for $40 or less.

I'm still planning on buying this game once it's free of bugs, performance issues and gets a decent price drop.

Glad to see your take on it. I like open world games but it looks like they just ran out of creative ideas outside of the main missions.

Filler missions aren't bad if they are optional, give useful items or add to the story. If it's just to gain nothing but exp or fluff then it's weak game design.

Maybe 2K had a smaller budget or they didn't have enough game devs to make it a better game. If that's the case, make it a 15-20 hour game and sell it for $40 or less.

I'm still planning on buying this game once it's free of bugs, performance issues and gets a decent price drop.

It will be worth it. I bought it for under $40 thanks to a discount and rebate I had going. I don't feel bad about it at that rate. It will get better.

I notice I have to keep reducing my AA settings every time I fire up the game. Just be aware of that if you are playing it. It wants to keep defaulting me at high and that's a bad setting for this game's AA. I'm using Low. Some people are using Medium. Don't go past that.

Low AA, no DOF, no motion blur = better

A lot of those criticisms are valid although I think some of the "anger" and hate are overblown. It's probably because I came in with moderate expectations to begin with. If you go back in my post history you'll see where I basically expected to get roughly a 7.5/10 game and that's what I got. Plus I got it for cheap so inclined to be more forgiving. *shrugs*

They can improve it to a point but it certainly is not "the next GTA 5 with a high end Good Fellas story" latched on to it.

This is a solid Steam sale special if you like these kinds of games. No more. No less.*

* Somewhat contingent on performance patches because this is still pretty wonky as is. I shouldn't have my 980ti reacting like I'm trying to run Witcher 3 at 4K although by doing my above recommended settings the game runs better and looks better without that soft and horrible AA this game implements. Keep that crap on the lowest setting and check it every time you fire the game up.

That's sell-in, which mean its what they sold to retailers, not units sold to consumers.

UPDATE: Mafia III Free Outfit DLC and New Patch Available Today
Community Announcements - JosephB2K

Lincoln Clay is ready to take on the mob in style – starting today, you can choose from 11 outfits while bringing down Sal Marcano. Along with Lincoln’s new threads, we’ve also rolled in a series of performance updates and hotfixes for Mafia III in a new patch. Keep reading for a breakdown of how the new outfits will work and what improvements are coming with the latest patch that is rolling out on all platforms now.

OUTFITS

This was a big request from you – our fans – so we made sure to get free Outfits to everyone that owns Mafia III, ASAP. So, suit up! With this update, you will now have 11 outfits to choose from: six outfits that Lincoln wears throughout different points in Mafia III’s story, and five all-new outfits. If you want to stalk the streets of New Bordeaux in military gear, you can. Want to get decked out like a proper Mob Don – no problem. Or maybe you just need a sweet racing jacket for when you tear through town in the Samson Drifter. Choose the best look for you!

As soon as you hit the “Somethin' I've Got To Do” mission, these outfits are available for you to pick your new look. Just head to your safehouse – or any racket hideout you’ve taken over – and head to the wardrobe. Ready for some killer style?

Action Gear: For all your combat wear needs.

Plain White Tee
On Leave
Full Metal
Full Metal II
Combat

Formal Wear: Ready for business

Mr. Clay
Business Hours
Waiter

Special Occasions: Always be dressed to kill

Pro-Am
Revolutionary
Fed

UPDATE: PATCH NOTES

The dev team has also been hard at work addressing your feedback since the game launched on October 7. We’re happy to report that we’ve made a number of improvements on PC included in this patch. But we’re also not done improving the game, and will be making more updates to Mafia III in the future.

These updates include:

UI Improvements
Improved car reflections
Improved streaming issues
Performance optimization
Fixed audio issues
Fixed some cases of savegame corruption
Fixed various issues for Cassandra’s Contraband missions
And more

The work continues for the dev team as we still have more free content on the way – races and car customization! – and more updates for Mafia III. So keep an eye on our social channels for updates. And, most importantly, keep sharing your experiences with us. We want your stay in New Bordeaux to be an enjoyable one.

Thanks again from the whole Mafia III team!

Follow Mafia on social media:
https://www.facebook.com/mafiagame/
https://twitter.com/mafiagame
https://www.youtube.com/mafiagame

I finished this last night. You're given two choices to conclude the story at the end. Stay for something through the end credits that potentially teases a larger rabbit trail type backdrop.

I don't see myself replaying this.

Giving this game a try, and it is rather bad. Big mini review in wall of text format ahead:

It mirrors GTA games, which do nothing right and have horrible, plain gameplay. So I suppose if you enjoyed GTA4/5 you'll love this. It straight up rips off the flaws in those games without fail. The horrible driving mechanics, where merely brushing something at minimal will send your car spinning in circles. You can't turn around a corner driving more than 10 MPH, otherwise you will loose control. It makes you wonder if these developers, like the GTA developers, have ever driven a car. You have enough hip points to survive about 2-3 crashes, yet the AI can ram full speed into cars, walls and the like without being phased or slowed down one bit. They also have more hitpoints than you. Not fun when you die in 4-5 shots while they can adsorb 5-8 shots, and instantly spawn GTA style out numbering you 10-15 times to 1. Cops have magical vision, like GTA, and can instantly detect you through buildings or if you've on the overpass above them. Their cars instantly accelerate and can't get damaged. Meanwhile, you brush against another car at 10 MPH and you loose half your hitpoints while spinning out of control.

There are many other awkward and bugs/design over sights that diminish what little fun you can have. For example, the lack of a save system. If you die you will not resume where you left off, but often very far with entirely different weapons and ammo counts. Beware before you decide to redo a mission. I've died with an SMG and about 100 rounds of ammo only to "respawn" with a shotgun with a single shell. To make up for the lack of a save system there is a truck which you can call in to change your weapons, but oddly you can not refill ammo without paying for it. So it only works partially. As even a second pistol will take many hours of gameplay to acquire, if the game decides to "respawn" you with zero pistol rounds you will have to rebuy ammo or get into a suicidal fight with police to try and pick up said ammo. Once you acquire a second weapon you can select that and get ammo free of charge though.

To add insult to injury, each time you die (which is plenty) you loose half your cash. And cash is in short supply. Merely getting to a deposit location to secure it requires 4-5 impossible battles with super power police. If you have $3K you want to put in your vault you'll be lucky to get $500 by the time you actually get there.

I am on a mission where I must rob a police bar, which is guarded by 15 cops. Merely getting within range of the bar will trigger the alarm and they will constantly respawn. You will run out of ammo and die as they swarm you. I am not actually sure if it is possible to complete the mission.

Story is dull. You're trying to kill some generic bad guy who killed your friends. So you frequently meet up with a bunch of stereotypical ethnicities, doing random jobs for them. There is no real direction at all. Drive here, fight magical cops, kill some guys, meet a new character with a funny accent, drive there, rinse repeat.

Graphically the game looks sub par and runs poorly for how it looks. Nothing horrendous, but given how nice other games look while running much better it is important to note.

Crashing. Rather frequent. No save system + magical cops = lots of retreading for an already repetitive game.

All in all, I'd give it a solid 4.5/10. A bit more polished than GTA4, a bit more rough than GTA5. If you liked those two games you'll love this though. Everyone else need not apply.

Last edited:
I think you might be doing something wrong Frogger....

You shouldn't have any "fights" to simply deposit money, you literally just go to your safehouse and put it in your safe, no one should be hostile to you....Also after a few missions you have the ability to simply call someone to pick up your money and deposit it for you, so you don't even have to go anywhere to drop it off anymore.

As far as the bar mission you don't have to walk in the front just go to the back and sneak in there. You can get in/out without even fighting anyone or triggering an alarm.

GTA 5 is a much better game than this is. Some of Froggy's criticisms are valid... Stiler's post covered the best tips for the high points.

I'd say this a 7.5/10, generous tops, one time playthrough game and only if you're a junkie for the "GTA sandbox" style games. Unless some amazing DLC comes out this will probably be uninstalled off my HD in the next handful of months. As a contrast: GTA 5 is never being uninstalled. ;)

The character of Donovan has potential, though, and they could do some thing with him.

Last edited:
This game is decent for what it is and if you can get it cheap.

This is the best character in the game far and away and I expect this DLC to be better than the main game itself:

47ac3b2c1a36ec0dde970849f19fa1f48301076e.jpg

We know that Mafia III revolves around the Marcano crime family and Lincoln’s tale of revenge, but everyone wants to see more of John Donovan. Same here at Hangar 13! That’s why Lincoln’s fiery, wiseass CIA handler from Vietnam is front-and-center for “Stones Unturned” – the new DLC for Mafia III coming May 30.

In “Stones Unturned,” Donovan is your wingman and buddy. He’s there with you every step of the way, helping unfold a mystery brewing in New Bordeaux. As Donovan’s past catches up with him, you’re fighting side-by-side… or, in some cases, firing a huge mounted turret from the back of a truck while he’s doing the driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUUq_f5KI9s

Which leads us to what’s turning up in Stones Unturned.

One thing that we’ve continually heard from fans is how much you loved the minute-to-minute story-driven action in Mafia III. So we focused on that to bring this DLC to life. “’Stones Unturned’ is an adventure story, through and through. Our goal: Make it feel like a great buddy action movie,” says Senior Writer Ed Fowler.
  • More to explore: We won’t spoil too much, but as you’re chasing down clues, you’ll explore new locations within New Bordeaux city limits – a department store, restaurant and safe house – as well as a remote island off the coast of New Bordeaux.
  • There’s a new support option: You’ll be able to call in Sniper Support.
  • New vehicles: How does a turret-mounted off-road vehicle sound? Good? Good.
  • New mission types: You’ll meet another salty friend from Donovan’s past as you pick up new Bounty Hunting missions around New Bordeaux.
  • New weapons to subdue foes: Get your hands on the dart gun to silently take down targets from a distance.
  • Most important: Donovan is your wingman, fighting by your side throughout “Stones Unturned.”
That’s right, you’re getting 100% more Donovan. “What we really wanted to do was tell a story that was unique to Lincoln and Donovan. Something to show they were a tight team that had each other’s backs… and that they have this rich history together. We don’t get explicit about their time in Vietnam, but in “Stones Unturned,” you get to experience what that time might’ve been like,” Ed tells us. He also went a little more into what it’s like to write lines for Donovan.

“Writing Donovan, brings my inner wiseass out. He gives you that channel to say and do what you probably wouldn’t in civil company. What I really love about the character is that Donovan is a guy that you can disagree with his methods, but you understand his reasons. He truly believes in what he’s doing and he is armed with facts as he does it.”

According to Ed, it’s a combination of what’s on the page… and what actor Lane Compton brings to role.

“[Donovan’s] so much fun to write. Still, I gotta say it’s equally the magic Lane brings to the table. He locks in on Donovan’s swagger and principles in such a dynamic way and takes everything to another level. It’s awesome to watch him work.”

We’re excited for “Stones Unturned” to just get out there for everyone to see these two pals hanging out in New Bordeaux. The bullets start flying May 30 on Steam.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube to get the news right as it hits.

Back