Mafia: Definitive Edition

erek

[H]F Junkie
Excited?

"Remastered in stunning HD detail, live the life of a gangster during the Golden-era of organized crime in America. War hero Vito Scaletta becomes entangled with the mob in hopes of paying his father's debts. Alongside his buddy Joe, Vito works to prove himself, quickly climbing the family ladder with crimes of larger reward, status, and consequence. However, the life of a wise guy isn't quite as untouchable as it seems.
The Xbox Store says that the game runs at 4K resolution on the system, so it should look incredibly crisp on the console.

Are you interested in the game? Let us know. Hopefully, it'll be priced reasonably and not $60."

https://www.windowscentral.com/mafi...-4k-resolution-xbox-one-x-could-launch-may-19

So, it looks like 2 (and possibly 3) are getting the remaster treatment where-as Mafia 1 is getting a full on remake. The MS store page is down now, but when it was up there were images shown of it looking completely brand new.

Escapist has the images re-posted in the linked article. It looks really pretty.

I loved Mafia 1 and I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the remake of it.

I loved Mafia 2 and 3. Mafia was a bit dated technically, but with a remake I'll give it another try. Though I kind of chafe at the idea of buying remastered versions of games I've already bought once. I hope we'll see a heavy discount, at least, for those who purchased prior versions of the games.

Mafia III used a rushed new engine compared to the second game and it contained far less detail while running like dog poo. It was also more of a straight up GTA clone rather than just using the same open world concept that the second game did. There is also the political element I won't get into behind the development of the game and change in studio structure at 2K. The game was in development hell due to the demands of the publisher and it basically shipped with underdeveloped gameplay concepts along with the broken engine.

The short of it is it's a far inferior game compared to its predecessor.

Mafia2 could've been good if they didn't cut half the game due to time constraints and another half as a paid dlc, which left a skeleton of a campaign.

I'd rather they remade Mafia1.

Mafia 3 was total garbage.

Mafia 1 was an incredible game. The only part I didn't like was the part nobody liked - the racing sequence due to the terrible controls. Fix that and they'll have a real winner on their hands.

I'm generally not in favor of remakes but I'd buy these if they're done well since they're all good to great games that could be improved with some changes.

Mafia 1 was probably the best game in the series in a lot of ways but both the controls and graphics are really clunky and outdated, it's the one game in the series I have a hard time playing these days.

Mafia 2 is probably my favorite game in the series even if it's not as good as the first and I still play it every year or two mainly because I love the setting and enjoy how well the game integrates the story(even if it isn't a great story). The graphics have held up fairly well but improvements are always welcome. What I'd really like to see them do though is work some of the Joe's Adventures DLC back into the main game like it was supposed to be originally and at the very least they need to give the main game a better save system than it had.

Mafia 3 managed to look awful while running even worse, had wonky physics(even after fixes), and I think they shifted it too far towards a sandbox style game making gameplay a bit too repetitive. On the other hand I really enjoyed the setting and some of the characters were the best in the series IMO. I don't think there's much they can do to address the repetitiveness other than maybe lowering the requirements to take of an area but hopefully there's an updated version of the game engine they can port it to that will improve graphics, performance, and physics.

Mafia 1 was an incredible game. The only part I didn't like was the part nobody liked - the racing sequence due to the terrible controls. Fix that and they'll have a real winner on their hands.
I liked every part of it, including the race, there was nothing wrong with the controls using a wheel. Butt hen again you're better off using a wheel for the entire game, it had force feedback effects years ahead even of sims.

I liked every part of it, including the race, there was nothing wrong with the controls using a wheel. Butt hen again you're better off using a wheel for the entire game, it had force feedback effects years ahead even of sims.
Sports Car GT and NASCAR Racing 3 had wheel FFB in 1999. Need for Speed III had it 1998. Mafia came out in 2002.

I loved Mafia 1. While I didn't like the story in M2, the incredible graphics and optimization made it an excellent PC game. It ran so well on my GTX 650.

Mafia 1 was all about the story for me. Once you beat the story you unlock a strange free roam mode with challenges. Free roam was something I really like in Mafia games, but it definitely needed some more thinga to do.

Reactions: erek
like this
Sports Car GT and NASCAR Racing 3 had wheel FFB in 1999. Need for Speed III had it 1998. Mafia came out in 2002.
I didn't mean it had FF before any other game, I meant It was years ahead of other games in terms of the quality and realism of the FF effects.

I loved the first one, didn't finish the second one and didn't touch the 3rd one.

Last time I played Mafia, I used several mods, looked better, but it really needs a facelift.

Just give me Mafia 1 with an improved Mafia 2 engine and I'll pay whatever you want.

https://www.windowscentral.com/mafia-definitive-edition-may-launch-august-28-according-xbox-store

xp81897w9jo21.jpg

Is mafia 3 really all that bad? It’s a bit weird and awkward but not that bad imho

Mafia 2 and 3 definitive editions were released today. They are both free for owners of the old versions. Mafia 1 to be released August 28th and will cost 40 bucks. No free version if you own the original due to the extensive rework being done.

I have Mafia II classic as well as a definitive edition in my Steam library now but it looks like Mafia III was just replaced with the definitive edition. I'm glad they left the old version of 2 but assuming they didn't screw anything up I'm perfectly fine with them just dumping the old version of 3.

I have Mafia II classic as well as a definitive edition in my Steam library now but it looks like Mafia III was just replaced with the definitive edition. I'm glad they left the old version of 2 but assuming they didn't screw anything up I'm perfectly fine with them just dumping the old version of 3.
Mafia III wasn't remastered in any way. It's just a package that includes all the DLC and additional content.

I hated the driving mechanics on the first game. It kept me from ever finishing it. I loved the 2nd. The 3rd one started off and ended well enough but the in-between was tedious and shallow.

I wonder what they will do to Mafia 1 to make it more fun.

I absolutely loved 1 when it came out and for years later. When back and played it a few months ago and it just wasn't a fun game, not because it is difficult and annoying just very dull. Too much driving around all the time and very little content in between a lot. It still looks like a great game today when you use the fan made HD mods with it.

count me in. If just for Mafia 1. Yes, the racing was incredibly difficult with a keyboard. That's what made it fun.

One of my all time favorite games. It is somehow greater than the sum of its parts.

I have the same reaction to L.A. Noire. Not the best game but I did like to play it because I liked the time period and I liked how it played. Wasn't everyone's cup of tea though. :oldman:

count me in. If just for Mafia 1. Yes, the racing was incredibly difficult with a keyboard. That's what made it fun.

luckily they eventually patched this so you could skip it entirely or change the difficulty so you could actually win....that mission was the biggest PITA at the time and I know so many people that gave up playing the game at the race mission.

luckily they eventually patched this so you could skip it entirely or change the difficulty so you could actually win....that mission was the biggest PITA at the time and I know so many people that gave up playing the game at the race mission.
Damn. I know it was hard but still. Games used to be hard. It took me a while to do the parking garage mission too. Don't get me started on the church.

Damn. I know it was hard but still. Games used to be hard. It took me a while to do the parking garage mission too. Don't get me started on the church.

that race was absurdly hard for the wrong reasons though. the church and parking garage were not nearly as bad as the race since you could eventually manipulate things a bit. especially the parking garage. I rememeber spending time moving cars all over the place to block the AI from being able to advance or drive vehicles into other areas.

I do remember the game being hard only because it took me forever to realize there were med kits in the missions.

mafia 3 looks as agly it did before.
Yeah I never really understood what the hell they were doing with the graphics in that game. They were quite outdated looking even when the game was released yet the game was actually pretty damn demanding. In fact you have zero chance of running that game smoothly with just 4 cores/ 4 threads as your CPU will be pegged at 100% the whole time unless you have a really really weak GPU.

I am definitely looking forward to the remake of the first game but will certainly not be pre-ordering since it uses the same shitty engine as Mafia 3 so I'm expecting some technical issues at launch.

Yeah I never really understood what the hell they were doing with the graphics in that game. They were quite outdated looking even when the game was released yet the game was actually pretty damn demanding. In fact you have zero chance of running that game smoothly with just 4 cores/ 4 threads as your CPU will be pegged at 100% the whole time unless you have a really really weak GPU.

I am definitely looking forward to the remake of the first game but will certainly not be pre-ordering since it uses the same shitty engine as Mafia 3 so I'm expecting some technical issues at launch.
I would have a look at this article if you want to know why.

https://kotaku.com/how-the-makers-of-mafia-iii-lost-their-way-1825242177

I actually finished it, sometime before they ended up patching it. Annyoing AF, probably one of the most annoying missions in a game ever that I can recall.

Anyone play it yet?
Yes. 4K all settings maxed (except motion blur - I turn that off in every game) I'm getting mid 50 FPS on average on my 2100MHz 2080 Super with +1250 on the VRAM. Lowest that I've seen so far was 44 FPS in the Farm chapter (where I stopped playing last night).

I did not play the original Mafia.

Driving doesn't feel quite as good as Mafia II (either edition) - mostly because the faster cars have shit for grip.

Sound is very well done overall (listening on my 5.1.2 system). And the voice acting is great.

Visually - it's gorgeous. It looked to me as if the puddles were raytraced reflections. Textures, traffic, pedestrians, weather, all look great. And the facial animations and textures in the real time cutscenes look phenomenal.

Getting cover is kind of kludgey, and aiming isn't very precise (more realistic overall I would say).

It might be different for someone who played the original, but as someone coming at this fresh who has really enjoyed every Mafia game so far - this one is a must buy even without a discount (and I usually always wait for one).

It looks fantastic. It feels good. For $35 or so it's a no-brainer for fans IMO. Vote with your wallet so maybe the gaming industry gets a clue that remastering beloved games can sell and we can get more.

This remaster does underscore one tragedy about it though: A gorgeous game world that is sadly under utilized. I wish this game could be modded.

I grabbed the screenshots from Escapist posted way back when:

apps.26846.14479109482538687.fee2b7fd-33b8-463e-b444-b5f0839c1d2b.jpg

apps.32170.14479109482538687.fee2b7fd-33b8-463e-b444-b5f0839c1d2b.jpg

apps.32471.14479109482538687.fee2b7fd-33b8-463e-b444-b5f0839c1d2b.jpg

apps.37254.14479109482538687.fee2b7fd-33b8-463e-b444-b5f0839c1d2b.jpg

apps.22160.14479109482538687.fee2b7fd-33b8-463e-b444-b5f0839c1d2b.jpg

apps.26448.14479109482538687.fee2b7fd-33b8-463e-b444-b5f0839c1d2b.jpg

apps.31783.14479109482538687.fee2b7fd-33b8-463e-b444-b5f0839c1d2b.jpg

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Back