m/b swap

ajkev24

n00b
my son's rig gigabyte 690v am2 5000+...i want to install a gigabyte 8200 chipset w/ 9750 phenom in his comp. he uses vista premium 32 bit while mine xp pro sp1. will it work without a fresh vista install?

It might. You may need to repair the installation, though. However, I havent done such a task with Vista yet, so I can't help you there.

Hey,What are you talking about a 8200 chipset?You mean installing your chipset drivers?well,i would flash the latest bios and format the harddrive and start off with a fresh install and if you got it try the 64 bit vista if its compatible if not the 32 bit will be fine.:)
Good Day

I would honestly back up the important information first then reformat anyways, just to avoid driver issues. If I replace any type of hardware like that I will always reformat.

That's just me though, some people aren't as anal.

Hey,What are you talking about a 8200 chipset?You mean installing your chipset drivers?well,i would flash the latest bios and format the harddrive and start off with a fresh install and if you got it try the 64 bit vista if its compatible if not the 32 bit will be fine.:)
Good Day

its the gigabyte controller northbridge chipset GA-M78SM-S2H matx it supports amd2+ up to 9950 140w phenom chip 1066 ddr2 ram pcie 2.0...definitely a step-up except for the heat.

I would honestly back up the important information first then reformat anyways, just to avoid driver issues. If I replace any type of hardware like that I will always reformat.

That's just me though, some people aren't as anal.

thanks for the rep...definitely will make a back-up.

What did you decide to do?

ill be on the safe side make a back-up And swap my sys to my son's...but one problem his psu is a xclio 500w active pfc two +12v rail 18a each when i used everest ultimate it showed 11.67v on load and 11.70 idle...with my sys (9750 phenom) ocz 500w psu active pfc two +12v rail pumpin 12.67v on load. ithink ill give him my psu too will run an msi oc 8800gt 512mb.

Back