• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LTC difficulty is really cranking up

I couldn't stand LTCing with air coolers on GPUs....waterblocks for the win.

Yeah, I'm lucky in that my mining gear in is the basement and out of hearing range. It is decently loud and having it on constantly wouldn't be bearable for long. I found AMD reference model cards to be the best built for 100% use 24/7, they just keep on working with a minimum of maintenance.

I'm actually starting to look at a water setup for my own rig though. :)
 
My 7970 is pushing .22 LTC per day at about 630 KH/s. I have not upped the memory clock on the card yet (through the miner config), just letting it run stock at the moment.

After I get my first coin I will up it to 1830 and see if that does me any good, I would like to push between 700-750 KH/s.

I am hoping, if this works out, I might see if I can find a 7950 to throw in as well or another 7970 and see if I can make it worth my time/money.
Man... I don't know what the deal is but I have to jack up my memory clocks just to get to 650 on my 7970's. Stock clocks I was getting 500 at best. Now I'm at 980/1700 and can do 650. I'm not sure how all these people are getting 700-750 on 7970's.

-i 13 -w 256 -g 2 -tc 8192

I already had the two cards so after electricity its all profit. I'm seriously tempted to sell my 7970's off for an inflated value and pick up some 780's or something instead to cash in. With my LTC profits I could probably cover the difference.
 
Man... I don't know what the deal is but I have to jack up my memory clocks just to get to 650 on my 7970's. Stock clocks I was getting 500 at best. Now I'm at 980/1700 and can do 650. I'm not sure how all these people are getting 700-750 on 7970's.

-i 13 -w 256 -g 2 -tc 8192

I already had the two cards so after electricity its all profit. I'm seriously tempted to sell my 7970's off for an inflated value and pick up some 780's or something instead to cash in. With my LTC profits I could probably cover the difference.

Last I knew AMD cards were superior to the Nvidia competition when it came to LTC. By quite a large margin.

I have my 6970 2GB at 950mhz core and 1450 memory, getting around .2 LTC per day. Helps a great deal having a water block and not being constrained by temps.
 
Last I knew AMD cards were superior to the Nvidia competition when it came to LTC. By quite a large margin.

I have my 6970 2GB at 950mhz core and 1450 memory, getting around .2 LTC per day. Helps a great deal having a water block and not being constrained by temps.

Well yea, but the thought being I might as well cash in on the crazy prices and not even bother with the mining... just get a nice little free upgrade out of the deal. If I do that and can't get my hands on a pair of 290/290x's then I'm caught in the lurch without a gaming rig, which is where my real priorities are :D

And yes, being under water helps my peace of mind/ear drums too :)
 
And the difficulty kicked up another notch...

I've been primarily on BQC right now and thats going nicely. Use the profit calculators and LTC is dropping in overall profit while many are staying the same or getting better. I can quickly just exchange BQC over to whatever one I want to "invest" in but getting them over to the exchange is all that matters
 
And the difficulty kicked up another notch...

10 kH now gets 3.75 LTC/day.

so sad, though I knew it was coming. I expect the difficulty to climb until 720 kH yields approx $2 to $2.50 per day. Coupled with electric cost of $0.50 per day to run the card, people will barely be making a profit and won't have dreams of striking it rich. That will happen when LTC @ $30 and 720 kH gets 0.066 LTC/day.

At that point, people will stop jumping on board with huge mining setups. Oh, I miss the days when difficulty was 800 and I could easily get 20-25 LTC/day.
 
10 kH now gets 3.75 LTC/day.

so sad, though I knew it was coming. I expect the difficulty to climb until 720 kH yields approx $2 to $2.50 per day. Coupled with electric cost of $0.50 per day to run the card, people will barely be making a profit and won't have dreams of striking it rich. That will happen when LTC @ $30 and 720 kH gets 0.066 LTC/day.

At that point, people will stop jumping on board with huge mining setups. Oh, I miss the days when difficulty was 800 and I could easily get 20-25 LTC/day.
heh, then I'll be laughing at all those people who drove home with truck loads of 7950's last week. Enjoy your non-existent ROI!

Anyway, I'm mining on existing hardware, when the difficulty goes up to that point I'll just pull out and go back to F@H full time
 
heh, then I'll be laughing at all those people who drove home with truck loads of 7950's last week. Enjoy your non-existent ROI!

Um... 7950's were discontinued and mostly unavailable about 2 months ago. If you're referring to some of the pictures floating around, they bought them before the price spiked and before the difficulty spiked.
 
heh, then I'll be laughing at all those people who drove home with truck loads of 7950's last week. Enjoy your non-existent ROI!

Anyway, I'm mining on existing hardware, when the difficulty goes up to that point I'll just pull out and go back to F@H full time

people who bough 7950s at sane prices should ROI easily.

I bought a pair of 7970s last week, at $250 a piece, and have made $150 so far.

It's the people that bought 7970s at $500 each that may not ROI.
 
A difficulty increase bites, but was expected. Still can be quite profitable to mine ltc (depending on you electricity cost), but time to at least start looking at other coins.
 
A difficulty increase bites, but was expected. Still can be quite profitable to mine ltc (depending on you electricity cost), but time to at least start looking at other coins.

This

I will mine LTC for at least 2-3 months but will than cash out and jump ship to another crypto.
 
I will mine LTC for at least 2-3 months but will than cash out and jump ship to another crypto.

I've already bitten the bullet. Gonna take a stab at some other coins for awhile. With some coins sitting at what they are worth, it is far more profitable at this stage to mine them, convert them to BTC and then use that to buy LTC than it is to directly mine LTC.
 
Do you guys have suggestions for other coins? I started messing around with feather coins last night but even though they were much easier to mine, they were worth so much less than LTC that I went right back to LTC.

Is the idea just to mine something easy and hope it goes up in value?
 
Do you guys have suggestions for other coins? I started messing around with feather coins last night but even though they were much easier to mine, they were worth so much less than LTC that I went right back to LTC.

Is the idea just to mine something easy and hope it goes up in value?

Actually, I was doing Worldcoin. I had no plans on holding it. Right now, it is a few dollars a day more profitable for me than LTC if I just take what I mine and exchange it across for BTC. Then I can use the BTC to either fund other trades or to hold for eventual cashing out. I may hold a few WDC in hopes that it will gain a bunch of value but that's still up in the air.
 
Do you guys have suggestions for other coins? I started messing around with feather coins last night but even though they were much easier to mine, they were worth so much less than LTC that I went right back to LTC.

Is the idea just to mine something easy and hope it goes up in value?

That's exactly the idea. If you can pack away 1000 FTC, and they go up to $30/coin, you've got $30,000. If you're mining LTC, which is already at $30/coin, the same amount of effort isn't going to make you anywhere near $30,000. But it's a gamble. It takes higher risk to get that higher reward. If FTC's price doesn't go up, then you won't have made as much money as you would have with LTC.

It's really all just a gamble. LTC is the safer route, but you're not prospecting for the chances to earn big.
 
If some kind of coin could somehow be merged with F@H (get rewarded coins for folding, but follows the same trend of being more difficult to obtain over time) I think it would be huge. I mean, think of how much quicker the end goal of F@H would be reached in such a scenario too. It would be a win-win for everyone.

All these other alt coins really offer nothing. And I mean absolutely nothing. Like others have mentioned, you can mine and trade for BTC (or LTC) when it's more favorable to do, or take a chance and go long term and hopefully make way more than otherwise mining LTC.

I'm still looking for candidates but outside of mining and trading into BTC on a regular basis, nothing makes sense to me.
 
If some kind of coin could somehow be merged with F@H (get rewarded coins for folding, but follows the same trend of being more difficult to obtain over time) I think it would be huge. I mean, think of how much quicker the end goal of F@H would be reached in such a scenario too. It would be a win-win for everyone.

All these other alt coins really offer nothing. And I mean absolutely nothing. Like others have mentioned, you can mine and trade for BTC (or LTC) when it's more favorable to do, or take a chance and go long term and hopefully make way more than otherwise mining LTC.

I'm still looking for candidates but outside of mining and trading into BTC on a regular basis, nothing makes sense to me.

Yeah, I was disappointed when I learned how crypto currencies work. I had always assumed that it was basically like F@H with coins as rewards. I mean, it seems like a huge waste of electricity.
 
If some kind of coin could somehow be merged with F@H (get rewarded coins for folding, but follows the same trend of being more difficult to obtain over time) I think it would be huge. I mean, think of how much quicker the end goal of F@H would be reached in such a scenario too. It would be a win-win for everyone.

All these other alt coins really offer nothing. And I mean absolutely nothing. Like others have mentioned, you can mine and trade for BTC (or LTC) when it's more favorable to do, or take a chance and go long term and hopefully make way more than otherwise mining LTC.

I'm still looking for candidates but outside of mining and trading into BTC on a regular basis, nothing makes sense to me.


Yeah was thinking all the wasted resources we could all pool in for Folding :) then at the same time rewards us.

Still thinking which alt coin to mine. Feather or world or nova?
 
Yeah was thinking all the wasted resources we could all pool in for Folding :) then at the same time rewards us.

Still thinking which alt coin to mine. Feather or world or nova?

IMO, don't bother with Nova. There's been some events that have occurred since its inception that have been considered unethical and even labelled a scam. One issue is that there were a good chunk of coins that were premined and are being held by a few people. They paid for their inclusion on BTC-e instead of being chosen on the merits of the currency alone. There were a couple other things, but it is due to these things that a good number of people will not touch it... they don't mine it nor trade in it. However, the decision is in your hands.

I would go with either of your first 2 choices.
 
If some kind of coin could somehow be merged with F@H (get rewarded coins for folding, but follows the same trend of being more difficult to obtain over time) I think it would be huge. I mean, think of how much quicker the end goal of F@H would be reached in such a scenario too. It would be a win-win for everyone.

All these other alt coins really offer nothing. And I mean absolutely nothing. Like others have mentioned, you can mine and trade for BTC (or LTC) when it's more favorable to do, or take a chance and go long term and hopefully make way more than otherwise mining LTC.

I'm still looking for candidates but outside of mining and trading into BTC on a regular basis, nothing makes sense to me.

It's not necessarily linked to the official F@H project, but I've heard about CureCoin which is supposedly a mixture of both folding and cryptocurrency in one package.
 
Last edited:
That's exactly the idea. If you can pack away 1000 FTC, and they go up to $30/coin, you've got $30,000. If you're mining LTC, which is already at $30/coin, the same amount of effort isn't going to make you anywhere near $30,000. But it's a gamble. It takes higher risk to get that higher reward. If FTC's price doesn't go up, then you won't have made as much money as you would have with LTC.

It's really all just a gamble. LTC is the safer route, but you're not prospecting for the chances to earn big.

Why not? With LTC, there is almost an exponentially greater chance for it to hit $100 or higher (not saying it will do that soon or anything) than there is of FTC hitting anything greater than $20 (and even then, I'm giving it more credit than it's due) given FTC's track record to date.

Of course, just my 2 cents though... so take it with a grain of salt.

You know what they say about crypto currency speculations... they're like assholes. Everybody's got one and 99% of them are full of shit.
 
It would be awesome if they could be combined!
 
Why not? With LTC, there is almost an exponentially greater chance for it to hit $100 or higher (not saying it will do that soon or anything) than there is of FTC hitting anything greater than $20 (and even then, I'm giving it more credit than it's due) given FTC's track record to date.

Of course, just my 2 cents though... so take it with a grain of salt.

You know what they say about crypto currency speculations... they're like assholes. Everybody's got one and 99% of them are full of shit.

I'm with you on that. But FTC reaching as high as $10 each might be possible. With this last rise NMC hit something like $14-$15. If FTC can stabilize anywhere between $0.25 - $0.75 over the next few months (and not get delisted from BTC-e), it's going to make quite the pump and dump coin for the next bubble much like NMC did this time around. That's the only purpose I can see for FTC, but it's like that for any alt to be honest - WDC, SBC, QRK, etc.
 
Last edited:
Why not? With LTC, there is almost an exponentially greater chance for it to hit $100 or higher (not saying it will do that soon or anything) than there is of FTC hitting anything greater than $20 (and even then, I'm giving it more credit than it's due) given FTC's track record to date.

Of course, just my 2 cents though... so take it with a grain of salt.

You know what they say about crypto currency speculations... they're like assholes. Everybody's got one and 99% of them are full of shit.

Again, it's partially about difficulty. The difficulty for FTC is just shy of 175, while the difficulty for LTC is just shy of 2700, with both coin systems using scrypt. Furthermore, FTC pays out 200 coins per block, while LTC pays out 50 per block. This means, according to some quick back-of-the-napkin math, that you should be able to mine FTC about 60 times faster than LTC. In the time it takes to mine 1 LTC, you can mine 60 FTC, so small changes in price are leveraged by quantity with FTC.

So while litecoin can go up, feathercoin need only go up a little bit to be profitable. If feathercoin goes up by $1 in price, it will annihilate whatever ROI you would get from mining litecoin short of litecoin going up by $60/coin. You can amass a large quantity of coins, so a price increase for FTC is 60 times more profitable than the same price increase for LTC. If FTC can reach $5+ per coin, like most of the other alt coins on the exchanges have, the profit would be equivalent to LTC going up to around $300 per coin. It's all about leverage. It's the same idea that allows derivatives like options to give such huge returns compared to trading the base security itself. However, similarly, it is higher risk.

Nobody is arguing that LTC isn't a safer route. It just doesn't have the gearing to have the room for profit that FTC has. Plus, after trading to BTC and then to USD, FTC goes for around $0.56, so the amount of effort to mine 1 LTC is going to earn you $33.61, which is very similar to the LTC payoff. You'll pay more in fees because of the second transaction, but assuming nothing really happens FTC isn't much less profitable than LTC at current numbers. For the potential for huge gains, I'd say switching to FTC could be quite worth it. It could easily go up or down, so it could easily mean huge gains or lost opportunity, but if you're not into high risk & high reward, feel free to stay on LTC.

Please note: I am not urging people to switch to FTC. I am neutral. I am merely highlighting some of the factors which have lead people to switch from mining LTC to mining FTC. This post is not advice.
 
Last edited:
I heard that FTC was centralized somehow. Not sure of the validity but..

Has anyone ever tried to get an [H] pool going?
 
I heard that FTC was centralized somehow. Not sure of the validity but..

I'm not sure how that would be. It uses a ledger (the block chain) just as any other crypto currency does. Though it has been affected by a few 51% attacks, which the developers claim to have now implemented protections against.
 
I was looking into mining LTC, but only having one 6870 I decided to go the FTC route, good investment? I am only getting about 170 kh/s with the core at 920 and the memory at 1100. Almost got one whole FTC over night :) hope I can get a lot more and have it jump up in value.
 
I think we need an alt coin thread. We're clearly now in the gold rush stage for the next big thing with the recent success of LTC. :p
 
Going to start mining again. Found a few coins on my coinotron account. What's the best LTC exchange to realize value when I decide to cash out? BTC-e still?
 
Going to start mining again. Found a few coins on my coinotron account. What's the best LTC exchange to realize value when I decide to cash out? BTC-e still?

Thats what i used. I moved my mining rigs over to ftc for now since the payout is much higher it and holding them till the price goes up from a bubble. Im just going to trade ltc now,with the recent jump in difficulty i would need alot more machines to be able to make decent money. Im hoping ftc can hit 5$ next year or higher.
 
Thats what i used. I moved my mining rigs over to ftc for now since the payout is much higher it and holding them till the price goes up from a bubble. Im just going to trade ltc now,with the recent jump in difficulty i would need alot more machines to be able to make decent money. Im hoping ftc can hit 5$ next year or higher.

Yea. I switched my dd boxen over to FTC. Ltc is just too difficult and it is too late to make much profit mining with the hardware I have.
 
Mining away again on my 7950. Trying an undervolted method this time. Overclocked I was doing 630hash or so, now I am at 0.880v core and 1.4vmem and 900/1505. 550 hash and overall power consumption is down to 200w total system.
 
Yea. I switched my dd boxen over to FTC. Ltc is just too difficult and it is too late to make much profit mining with the hardware I have.

If you do the math, it's actually more profitable to mine LTC than FTC.
FTC is approx worth $0.553 each right now.

With 12 kH, I would get about 260 coins/day = $144

Using the same 12 kH to mine LTC, that's 4.5 LTC/day (at $33.8) = $152
 
The value of other alt coins fluctuate way more than LTC / BTC from what I've seen. So you gotta be careful. Usually if a coin is already being listed as the most profitable you've missed the boat, as it'll drop back down within the next few days.

If you want to make more money from these, mine coins that are at a low diff, then sell them when the value spikes. This requires a bit of luck as no one really knows what coins will go up. Like the Quarkcoin rise... I never saw that coming.
 
If you do the math, it's actually more profitable to mine LTC than FTC.
FTC is approx worth $0.553 each right now.

With 12 kH, I would get about 260 coins/day = $144

Using the same 12 kH to mine LTC, that's 4.5 LTC/day (at $33.8) = $152

I don't think the entire draw to FTC is how much one theoretically makes in a day. Besides, you only make that in a day if you actually cash out each day. I'm pretty sure some people are planning on holding some for the future. FTC has actually had its pumps and dumps too.
 
Back
Top