Low Watt AM3 not AM3+ for NAS

unholythree

Limp Gawd
What was the lowest watt tri/quad core AM3 (not AM3+) CPU? I'm looking to upgrade my NAS.

I originally planned on building a new NAS from scratch: Opteron 3350 HE on an ASUS mATX board (for ECC support); however the 3350 HE is hard to find, and all the mATX AM3+ motherboards I've seen seem inferior to the mATX 880G in my desktop.

So new plan: upgrade my desktop to a full ATX AM3+ board and move the mATX 880G to my NAS, but I need a older AM3 CPU.

My NAS is headless, always on: serving files and running Transmission, and I would like a little headroom to run some non NAS services in a freeBSD jail or maybe a small VM.

Any suggestions?

Look at the 45W:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Phenom_microprocessors

Good luck in finding one now.In my country they are nowhere to be found. Luckily i had bought a 605e when time was right.

If you can't find one, go for an Athlon 640/645 95W, if the board can afford it and undervolt it. It should go to about 80W. These are still easy to find. Another option is to get a 65W Athlon X2 and undervolt it. But you get 2 cores. But they are still easy to find too and some have high clocks.

Uhh, there'd be no reason for a NAS to have >2 cores anyway... Too many people on this site expect more cores than they need for so little reason... I run my NAS setup in an ESXi environment on a C2D E8400 which is dual-core and it works perfectly. Got a couple other VMs on there too. No need for quad core here.

Uhh, there'd be no reason for a NAS to have >2 cores anyway... Too many people on this site expect more cores than they need for so little reason... I run my NAS setup in an ESXi environment on a C2D E8400 which is dual-core and it works perfectly. Got a couple other VMs on there too. No need for quad core here.

I suppose you're right. In a past life this NAS had a Celeron 3200 and currently it's a C2D E6400 and neither broke a sweat. I guess I want to equal or surpass their processing power and maybe lose a few watts. With the E6400 and 4 HDDs my Kill-a-Watt gives 60-80 watts from the wall peaking at ~100 when first booting.

You'll never recoup the cost of upgrading the machine solely to lose 5-10 watts unless you score some used parts for $10 or $20 or something really cheap. Just hang onto it for now if it suits your needs.

The E6400 is on cheap mobo with only 2 DDR2 dimms and 4 SATA II ports. My objective really is to find a low power processor to use on a far nicer AM3 board currently in my desktop.

You can always underclock and undervolt the thing.

Alternatively just get a used HP microserver of fleabay, they work great for must usage scenarios.

+1 620e is a great low wattage quad. I had one then went to a 95w X6

Still a waste for this purpose. Like I said before, a lot of you are irrational with your love of more cores. 4 and 6 core CPUs have a purpose. This is not one of them. Even if you counter with "the chip only costs a little more and the extra power usage is negligible," I counter that with "yet the benefits won't be even slightly noticeable."

I humbly disagree.

What if you're using the NAS as a remote media center storage drive and you edit those video files to remove commercials or something. :p

Adding +50% power TDP for some L3 cache doesn't seem to make a lot of sense for a fileserver...

TDP doesn't mean it sits there and sucks 65W continuously, NAS is probably idle most of the time ... just sayin'

TDP doesn't mean it sits there and sucks 65W continuously, NAS is probably idle most of the time ... just sayin'

It doesn't matter, because the NAS won't need the extra speed. At ALL. Not even 0.000000000000001%. You cannot come up with an argument that trumps that. I suggest you take your useless overkill suggestions elsewhere.

Would you use a sledgehammer on finishing nails? No (well, maybe YOU would). Use the right tool for the job.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter, because the NAS won't need the extra speed. At ALL. Not even 0.000000000000001%. You cannot come up with an argument that trumps that. Take your useless overkill suggestions elsewhere.

Whoa whoa whoa, I was just commenting on the TDP thing -- not suggesting a processor choice.

Whoa whoa whoa, I was just commenting on the TDP thing -- not suggesting a processor choice.

Nothing personal, but people on this site typically suck at recommendations because they have this ridiculous notion that overkill is "[H]ard" instead of the waste that it is. I'll call anyone out for doing such a thing. For those who want to waste money on overkill, whatever, but NEVER try to convince anyone else to do the same.

I ended up going with the Athlon 270U: low watt and I suspect enough performance for my needs. It's just for FreeNAS, and maybe some other light server duties.

Now I can move my M4A88TD-M/USB3 to my NAS and benefit from more and better ram, the additional sata ports, and a better chipset. I just need a new board for the 1090T in my desktop. I think I'll get a M5A99FX PRO R2.0 and see if I can't learn a bit about IOMMU/passthough with Proxmox or Xen.

Back