Low Cost VR Solution: TrinusVR

cthulhuiscool

2[H]4U
https://www.trinusvirtualreality.com/

Having spent the last few days tinkering with this, I have to say I am SHOCKED how well it works. Using my Moto X pure (1440p) phone and a good set of google cardboard oculars, picture is pretty well on-par with my experience using an oculus. Since it is network streamed, tethering is a must for high framrates and quick response, but when set up well you totally forget how cheap your setup is.

Just figured I'd start a thread for people to post their experiences with it, and ask any questions they may have.

The phone VR systems seem more for kids than anything.( maybe 5-10 of age)
It may be a good starter or portable but I don't like the idea of cardboard on my head. :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Problem with this is that even with it being way cheaper it's still way less of an experience. Cardboard is like 10% of what an Oculus is experience wise. Even the latest Gear VR is maybe 15% of the Oculus.

Cheap way to get into things like racing games or sims for looking around and having depth but I think Room Scale and Touch controllers are wayyy more cooler haha!

Problem with this is that even with it being way cheaper it's still way less of an experience. Cardboard is like 10% of what an Oculus is experience wise. Even the latest Gear VR is maybe 15% of the Oculus.

Cheap way to get into things like racing games or sims for looking around and having depth but I think Room Scale and Touch controllers are wayyy more cooler haha!
I've been playing sw jedi academy w/ a first person mod and it's pretty damn impressive
Head tracking works really well when you play with the trinusvr settings a bit.

For some reason, my phone (Galaxy S8) seems to think TrinusVR has a Trojan in it. Makes me hesitant to try it, too much valuable data on my phone.

I messed around with this before my Rift arrived last year. It's nowhere near as good as a true Gen1 PC headset due to the lack of positional tracking and motion controls, but it's way better than a vanilla Google Cardboard experience.

Even GearVR is better than this since it has a motion controller and superior rotational tracking.

Also FYI there is a version for the PS VR headset, as well. I'm going to give it a shot once I'm motivated to set it up.

Back