Low Cost VR Solution: TrinusVR

cthulhuiscool

2[H]4U
https://www.trinusvirtualreality.com/

Having spent the last few days tinkering with this, I have to say I am SHOCKED how well it works. Using my Moto X pure (1440p) phone and a good set of google cardboard oculars, picture is pretty well on-par with my experience using an oculus. Since it is network streamed, tethering is a must for high framrates and quick response, but when set up well you totally forget how cheap your setup is.

Just figured I'd start a thread for people to post their experiences with it, and ask any questions they may have.

Hagrid

[H]F Junkie
The phone VR systems seem more for kids than anything.( maybe 5-10 of age)
It may be a good starter or portable but I don't like the idea of cardboard on my head. :)

cthulhuiscool

2[H]4U

Mut1ny

[H]ard|Gawd
Problem with this is that even with it being way cheaper it's still way less of an experience. Cardboard is like 10% of what an Oculus is experience wise. Even the latest Gear VR is maybe 15% of the Oculus.

Cheap way to get into things like racing games or sims for looking around and having depth but I think Room Scale and Touch controllers are wayyy more cooler haha!

cthulhuiscool

2[H]4U
Problem with this is that even with it being way cheaper it's still way less of an experience. Cardboard is like 10% of what an Oculus is experience wise. Even the latest Gear VR is maybe 15% of the Oculus.

Cheap way to get into things like racing games or sims for looking around and having depth but I think Room Scale and Touch controllers are wayyy more cooler haha!
I've been playing sw jedi academy w/ a first person mod and it's pretty damn impressive
Head tracking works really well when you play with the trinusvr settings a bit.

theplaidfad

Lurker
For some reason, my phone (Galaxy S8) seems to think TrinusVR has a Trojan in it. Makes me hesitant to try it, too much valuable data on my phone.

TheSmJ

2[H]4U
I messed around with this before my Rift arrived last year. It's nowhere near as good as a true Gen1 PC headset due to the lack of positional tracking and motion controls, but it's way better than a vanilla Google Cardboard experience.

Even GearVR is better than this since it has a motion controller and superior rotational tracking.

Armenius

Fully [H]
Also FYI there is a version for the PS VR headset, as well. I'm going to give it a shot once I'm motivated to set it up.