Love your socket 754?

guess what showed up today! BALLISTIX! thats what my uncle got for me for my birthday.

pictures!

AHH! ITS HERE!

100_0547.jpg

NEW VS OLD!

100_0543.jpg

you sure that's Balistix? The pic is WAY too small and FAR too clear.

Ya well, my 3700+ made it to me from Newegg in less than 24 hours. I'll take my own pics, HA~!

CRXican said:
oh yeaaaah
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/eckoplaya/Shuttle/IMG_2174.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/eckoplaya/Shuttle/IMG_2177.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

The clawhammer 3700+ is a good chip. I enjoyed mine a lot.

I am pullin off s939 plan. Anyways, I am gonna get MSI Neo Platinum mobo from Mr. Stryker when I get to my college in few weeks. Mr. Stryker's cpu is 3000+ clawhammer w/o ihs. I don't want it. I am in mood for some power out of MSI mobo with good ocing stablility.

Which one should I go for 3400+ Newcastle, 3700+ Clawhammer, or 3700+ Newark? I am tryin to save some money there also I will be using CNPS7000-AlCu Led heatsink, too. I want good result in gamin, too. :)

Note: I will be using this puter for one yr cuz I am savin up some money for my next "M2" rig.

What kind of overclock do folks usually get out of their NC 3400+?

I am currently at a 3000+ with a pretty good OC and was debating swapping cpus just for fun...

Heya everyone. I recently became a member of the s754 club and I've run into an issue with multi-bank operation on my VNF3-250.

When I put both sticks of RAM in, I get errors in I get memtest errors in test #5 after 215Mhz, regardless of timings or voltage. The errors occur high in the memory range at first, but at higher frequencies (>233) they cover the whole map.

I am thinking that this is a clock skew issue between memory banks, because when I run only one stick, it is good to go up to 306MHz 1:1

Does anyone here have insight into this issue? Could it actually be due to the A64 memory controller at these speeds?

I've followed procedures so far and here's what I've gotten:
HTT Max: above 333 (stopped with 333 x 3LDT)
CPU Max: 2480MHz so far (1.55v), Newcastle CG 2800+ OBAZC
Memory Max: 306MHz (one stick) 3-4-4-8 T2 2.9V (TCCD from Patriot)

Thanks! I love my s754!! hooray for $28 Mobos!!!

try banks 1 and 3. that might fix your issue. and whta mobo did you get for 28 bucks? is it the VNF3-250? and if so, does the xp120 fit on it?

CRXican said:
oh yeaaaah
IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2177.jpg

I'm glad my advice helped out. That is a VERY powerful processor for the money....I'm jealous, as my max overclock is your stock speed. :cool: Enjoy it bro.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
try banks 1 and 3. that might fix your issue. and whta mobo did you get for 28 bucks? is it the VNF3-250? and if so, does the xp120 fit on it?

That sounds like a nice and simple solution. I'll try it when I get home from work and let y'all know how it goes. i suspect that I will still need to alter the clock skew between banks to offset the difference in trace length. I shouldn't HAVE to, but I think that it is at the heart of the issue.

I did get the Chaintech VNF3-250 in the retail package at my local computer hole for the laughably low sum of $28 tax included. Thus, I HAD to embark on this s754 quest!

I can confirm that the XP-120 will fit (barely) on this board. It didn't look like it at first, what with the line of tall caps toward the back end of the board, but the non-heatpipe side of the heatsink fits over these caps with a little room when first tipping it to install.

The real constraint is the clearance with DIMM bank 1, as the heatpipes are *almost* touching my PDP RAM's heatspreader. The heatpipes do actually touch the heatspreader for corsair ram (I tried these too). I would say that clearance is ZERO, but not NEGATIVE... so it is a go.

Thanks for the reply, hopefully it will work!

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:

I tried banks 1&3 today and that helped out quite a bit. I was able to 'get it up' to a reasonable 250MHz with both sticks at 2.5-4-4-10-T1. Then I fooled around with the "drive strength" and increased the clock skew to 2 cycles. I was able to reach my goal of 267MHz with both sticks in and at a 2.5-4-5-10-T2

Well, I'm happy! Thanks for the advice.

This motherboard is the only thing holding me back, since it doesn't have a PCI lock, but I did get my 3700+ up to 2.8 for about 5 minutes. As soon as I tried to use the HD, the computer locked and I had to reinstall windows. This was on 1.6 volts, stock fan. I bet it could go higher with water and a real motherboard.

Not too friggin shabby for $260.

I'm hitting 2.48 stable on my 3200+, is that a good OC? The mobo is an Asus K8N4-E...
It's been a lot of fun compared to my abit kv8-pro.

nigerian_businessman said:
This motherboard is the only thing holding me back, since it doesn't have a PCI lock, but I did get my 3700+ up to 2.8 for about 5 minutes. As soon as I tried to use the HD, the computer locked and I had to reinstall windows. This was on 1.6 volts, stock fan. I bet it could go higher with water and a real motherboard.

Not too friggin shabby for $260.

go buy a dfi nf3 250gb for $60 refurb at the egg
:D

sabrewolf732 said:
go buy a dfi nf3 250gb for $60 refurb at the egg
:D

I'm giving it some serious thought, although I'd buy a new one since it will come with any accessories and a warranty.

Maybe if I do, could put together a sempron based system using this motherboard, for my mother or possibly to sell to one of my friends. Hmmmmm.

I like my little setup.

-MSI K8N Neo Platinum (754pin)
-AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (1MB Cache) --not OC'd
-1GB HyperX Memory (CL2)
-XFX GeforceFX 5950 Ultra
-WD 74GB Raptor 10k RPMs
-Antec TrueBlue 480watt Power Supply

It runs games really good.. I play Quake 3: Rocket Arena, HL2, Doom 3, FarCry, etc.. and I usually game at 1024x768 in Ultra mode for Doom 3 and still get around 40-50fps steady.. same for HL2. FarCry is a little tougher, but still very little lag or anything. I also encode videos to DivX and stuff.. it goes really fast for me. Same with MP3 encoding. I can convert WMV or WAV's to MP3's (5mb song) in about 5 to 6 seconds. I am thinking about upgrading though next year.. maybe just a new video card and power supply, but I'm not sure yet. Quake 4 is coming, and I need to stay absolutely on top for that. Hopefully they make Rocket Arena for it.. :D I was thinking about going with a 7800.. and a 550watt PS.. and if I need to, one of the new dual core Athlon's and a MSI mobo. <3 MSI. I just ordered one of their new Turion64 laptops. (MS-1013 in white) :p

The DFI is definately the most flexible motherboard, but it's got some seriously weird quirks in it that almost made me get rid of it. Basically, slot 2 is non existant...don't even pretend it has any functional use. I got memtest errors 2-3-3-10 at like 219MHz....and mind you, I can do 2-2-2 214MHz 2.9v on my TCCD with both sticks memtest86+ stable, and 2-3-3 I've had up to 235MHz memtest stable on 2.8v. Once I switched sticks over, it was like the 'wtf curtain' had been lifted. Also, I've had other weird things that were unexplainable, but I got them working. But as far as stable, the MSI is a much better board (especially with a viable 2nd slot :rolleyes: ) but as far as voltage/HTT, the DFI is king....you just gotta deal with it's mood swings. At least I'll be able to sell the board if need be. :cool:

tsuehpsyde said:
The DFI is definately the most flexible motherboard, but it's got some seriously weird quirks in it that almost made me get rid of it. Basically, slot 2 is non existant...don't even pretend it has any functional use. I got memtest errors 2-3-3-10 at like 219MHz....and mind you, I can do 2-2-2 214MHz 2.9v on my TCCD with both sticks memtest86+ stable, and 2-3-3 I've had up to 235MHz memtest stable on 2.8v. Once I switched sticks over, it was like the 'wtf curtain' had been lifted. Also, I've had other weird things that were unexplainable, but I got them working. But as far as stable, the MSI is a much better board (especially with a viable 2nd slot :rolleyes: ) but as far as voltage/HTT, the DFI is king....you just gotta deal with it's mood swings. At least I'll be able to sell the board if need be. :cool:

Whoaaa whoaaa whoooooaaa, you mean... there is something wrong with the second DIMM slot?!?!?

Is this why I can't get ANY stability over 275mhz HTT??

I could go all the way up to 2.6ghz with 1 stick of 256mb PC-2700... but my new RAM I can barely get it past 2.3ghz to boot into Windows...

Borgschulze said:
Whoaaa whoaaa whoooooaaa, you mean... there is something wrong with the second DIMM slot?!?!?

I could go all the way up to 2.6ghz with 1 stick of 256mb PC-2700... but my new RAM I can barely get it past 2.3ghz to boot into Windows...

Well, with two sticks of memory, you're taxing the memory controller harder (I can run 235MHz HTT on this Claw with two sticks 1:1, but 265MHz 1:1 with one stick). But this is assuming you're talking 1:1....but my board died at 300MHz on two sticks, slots 1 and 2...so yeah, I'd probably have cut out "stabability wise" where you did. For shits and giggles, just move ur second stick of memory to slot three and see what you can come up with. I've yet to hear of a DFI that does any good in slot 2. *grumble*

As for NF4 754 boards, I don't think anyone here has gotten their hands on one, but I'd be interested to see what they come up with.

tsuehpsyde said:
As for NF4 754 boards, I don't think anyone here has gotten their hands on one, but I'd be interested to see what they come up with.

I came damn close to getting the K8N Neo3, but those retards at MSI only put 2 DIMMs on it. If it had 3, I could use a DDR booster, but no. You're not allowed to have a high performance 754 board, according to MSI.

on further inspection, yes, this is the OCparty mobo thy were planning on releasing. they made a whole new sector of mobos though called the Infinity, instead of OCparty. its the same thing, different name.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
on further inspection, yes, this is the OCparty mobo thy were planning on releasing. they made a whole new sector of mobos though called the Infinity, instead of OCparty. its the same thing, different name.

Hey, it's the DAGF, 754 style.

Borgschulze said:

that's usually memory controller and ram related, but sometimes a mobo can play a part. i find that with my ballistix and dfi-nf3, it likes slots 1+2 with cas 2.5 and cas3, but 1+3 for cas2. odd eh?

Back