Love your socket 754?

Well, I tried again after the BIOS update to see if I could go any higher.

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=29525

305, ooooo, aaaaa. :rolleyes: DFI's quality control must have seriously tanked at some point if Eclipse and Baron can both get 400MHz+ boards and this one can't even run a stable 300MHz, and can barely pull 305....Hell, my MSI was prime stable at 310MHz. The only things this board has going for it are the "probably" more accurate temp sensors and extra voltage options...but had my MSI had, say, a chipset voltage option as well as higher DRAM voltage options (and a few more memory dividers) the MSI would have been a superior board, at least to this one I'm using. HTT, to me, shows how well the board can handle stress, as high HTT just rocks everything...and I know the CPU isn't holding it back.

Just feels like I got fucked on this board, which I coulda taken if I woulda just got the chaintech, but not on a DFI. We'll see if I get DFI for my 939 board or not after this episode, as I'll need 300HTT at least.

well, i got f-ed by newegg hardcore. you know the egg rule of thumb, you get your package a day early. i didnt. now i hafta wait till tommarow to see if my stupid 6200 unlocks or not. stupid newegg.

setup 7/16 tubing. its great actually, bends super nicely, all that stuff. and the blue is even more VIVID! i however lost my tube of as5 and am waiting on a tube of as ceramique to arrive. its been an eventful week. keep posting, you gotta keep the s754 love alive.

tsue! post the new shots, i know you're hiding a 345mhz shot in there

also.. baron, ccu, tsue and myself have some news to announce. ccu should be writing up a nice post on it at the very moment :D

yes yes,

it seems that these days there are very few sights that give a good review to the people who matter, the Overclockers. so Me Mr.(cf)Eclipse Mr. RobberBaron and Mr. Tsuehpsyde are going to make a review sight that is gear only towards Overclocking. The name you might ask?

the name will be Eclipse Clockers, or Eclipse OC for short.

now its your turn to help us out.

pick a logo!

A.

eclipseoc2.png

B.

eclipseOC.png

you guys choose! get on it!

note that the second one would be tweaked so that the font is more properly aligned, and a more interesting font :D

tsuehpsyde said:
Now I'm supposed to do that 1:1, right Eclipse? :p
you bet! :D
actually, i'd like to see you really do some cool stuff with that memory.. maybe not 345mhz, but breaking your old record would be nice, even if we suspect you're memory controller limited

and yes.. if you want a different name, you better act quick. i think the three of us can talk you into it though ;)

My friend just picked up an e-Machine with a 3000+....I figured it'd be a 939, but nope, 754! Plus, it has PCI-E on it. :D Now that's hawt.

Here's his CPU-Z
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=30622

I'm waiting to see what those ATi onboard graphics look like...if they're faster than my current temp card, it's time to get a new videocard like NOW. :p

Can I join? I just ordered an Asus K8N4-E deluxe to replace my Abit KV8 Pro. PCI-Express just for my 7800 GTX!!!

Question for my fellow 754er's....

After hours upon hours of tinkering with this 3400+, I've come to the realization it's a crappy overclocker, period. It might pull 2.3ghz stable, but that's hardly worth the effort. I did a little research and it seems a lot of 3400+ Claw's are stubborn like this one. Rather than abandon ship and go the San Diego route, I'm looking into a 3700+ Claw. Being a newer processor, is there generally a better chance of getting one that isn't a bad apple like mine? Are the steppings that are selling these days overclocking pretty well? Anything over 2.6ghz and I'd be content.

ATW said:
Question for my fellow 754er's....

After hours upon hours of tinkering with this 3400+, I've come to the realization it's a crappy overclocker, period. It might pull 2.3ghz stable, but that's hardly worth the effort. I did a little research and it seems a lot of 3400+ Claw's are stubborn like this one. Rather than abandon ship and go the San Diego route, I'm looking into a 3700+ Claw. Being a newer processor, is there generally a better chance of getting one that isn't a bad apple like mine? Are the steppings that are selling these days overclocking pretty well? Anything over 2.6ghz and I'd be content.

Why settle for 130nm when you can get a RevE 90nm 3700+?
http://shentech.com/amn3700bkx5bu.html

Newark core. Very similar to the San Diego core, except thermally binned. Eclipse has one that does about 2.9ghz on air easily.

http://shentech.com/amn3400bkx5bu.html
Theres the 3400+ Newark. It should do decently as well.

Be aware the Newark is lidless, so you have to adjust your cooling so it'll contact the core (sand down the standoffs for the HSF). And yes, 3400+ CG Claws seem to be stubborn. But, with cold air, they run better....like, I could only benchmark 2.5GHz on mine, but once I put AC into my case, I got about 100MHz for free, which is pretty cool....Also, the 3400+ mobile clawhammer is a good clocker, but if you're going to mess around with a mobile, I suggest the Newark.

But if you don't wanna screw around with the mobile chip, a 3700+ would be the best binned 754 clawhammers, so they should be the best overclockers.

Anybody got a hold of a Sempron 64 yet? If it OC's as good as my current part or better I'll snag one.

Selecter said:
Anybody got a hold of a Sempron 64 yet? If it OC's as good as my current part or better I'll snag one.

Mine gets here monday. Expect a thread+formal review on EclipseOC.
What's more is that I'll take the heatspreader off of it. Should be fun :cool:.

How about doing the review on the standard part as recieved? I dont want buying decisions based on something I wont do. Thats not useful to me. It like buying a chevy for review and then putting a aftermarket big block in it, and recommending the car based on what you did.

You can always add the IHS removal as a part 2.

tsuehpsyde said:
But if you don't wanna screw around with the mobile chip, a 3700+ would be the best binned 754 clawhammers, so they should be the best overclockers.

What are the more recent Claw's pulling 24/7 stable on air?

I would expect about ~2.6GHz with a 3700+ with some voltage and decent cooling...but that's never guarenteed. ;) But even at stock speeds, the 3700+ will be a VERY nice CPU.

And about his review, he will be reviewing the CPU from EVERY angle, including overclockability on stock voltatge, how far it can be undervolted, and THEN it will show the tempature and possible OC advantages of removing the IHS....basically, a complete review for overclocking (hense our name, EclipseOC :D)....of course that's what I'm thinking, correct me if I'm mistaken baron.

Assuming the seller isn't a troll and I get the SN85G4 I paid for I'll be part of this crew.

Without starting a new thread which S754 CPU is the best and where should I look for the best prices?

Or better yet, any of you guys have any extras you wanna hook me up with?

I'm assuming you mean which CPU, and the "best" retail CPU now is the 3700+ Clawhammer, which is about $260 on the egg...but for about $300something you can get the 3700+ Newark, but if you're new to hardware I wouldn't recommend that, as it's mobile and requires a bit of work.

I'm not new to hardware, I know what using the mobile processors requires. I'd rather not deal with it.

Yes, retail CPUs. Thanks for the advice, I'll wait for some more replies

Not sure what else you need to know. :p The Newcastle 3400+ is pretty close in performance, especially for the money, but as far as the best possibly socket 754 processor, the 3700+ is the fastest, non-mobile socket 754 processor available. I'm still waiting on the Newark 4000+ which should be out in a month or two, so Eclipse can get one and test it out. :D But it's doubtful they'll make a 4000+ retail on 754.

the 3700+ claws ROCK! weve all been really busy as of late. Robbers been working, (cf) has been vacationing his nerdy butt off in vermont, tsue has been working and CS sourcing, and ive been awating my newest ram, Crucial Ballistix. i sold the TCCD and have made the transition. everyone pipe up, whats been going on?

ok I'll go. I'm joining the 754 club because I found a sweet deal on a barely used Shuttle SN85G4V3 in the FS/FT forum. Assuming it arrives safely from Alaska I will be a happy camper, hopefully this weekend.

How much voltage can I stuff on this Shempron 3100+ ? I've had it up to 2.5 but it wasnt stable. I only used 1.5 volts. Need better cooler. :rolleyes: I'll snag a Xp-90 before I try again.

Back