Looking for the best 27" or 30" Display for me

No such thing as "deep blacks" on ANY LCD, of course perception of "deep blacks" is subjective. I think the blacks on the ZR30w are actually quite good for a LCD..

Could not be further from the truth, unless we are only talking about 24"+ IPS. Perception of black depth is only subjective if one has never seen a display with deep blacks. HP ZR230W black level of 0.31 @210cdm/2. Blacks are not even close to being deep, contrast ratio stays around 700:1 across all ranges of luminance which is well below average. The HP ZR30W requires calibration from a Wide Gamut compatible colorimeter, the OP said he wanted accurate color and deep blacks and the HP provides neither. We get it you like your display, but come on........

@Everyone else
All of these input lag measurements being refered to are wrong due to inacurate testing methods which lead to higher averages due to the "lag spikes," which do not actually exist. The monitors with scalers will have over 1 frame (16.7ms) while the ones without will have even less. Head on over to PRAD.de for the real numbers.

Last edited:
TFT central has some pretty good testing I wouldn't throw it out the window... and they state the u2711 for example with its scaler has 30ms "and often 40ms"input lag.. so they do define the spikes. Don't confuse input lag with response times shown in the response time testing (With the clocks run on each screen photographed with a high shutter speed camera). That is a measure of how fast the LCD panel can update and "refresh" itself when sent signals very quickly. From what I've been reading 120hz panels still blur some even though they can optimally send twice the frames to the displays per second, because the response time not allowing the lcd to update fast enough.. you get an afterimage...(and due to sample and hold nature of lcd tech).
... In my own subjective and very imperfect testing using my sony xbr960 1080i/"720p" CRT widescreen 34" HDTV with hdmi vs various lcd tv's I've owned, using rock bands simple metronome matching averaging test... the input lag is drastically different on the LCD tv's even in "game modes". LCDTV's input lag due to processing is almost always worse than a desktop monitor's, but the trend still shows even running the same tests on computer LCDs... and input lags of even 38 - 48 ms are not surprising to me on monitors with scalers considering what I've seen.

Last edited:
No they do not when it comes to input lag, most sites don't. PRAD has a big long article about the different testing methods. The U2711 does not have 30ms of input lag, all the monitors with scalers typically only have around 18ms of input lag.

I find that hard to believe (the low quote) but I will check it out. In my experience the input lag on lcd with scaler has an impact on games that require precision timing (most games, but some more obviously hindered by it than others).
Also passing this along to chew on.. see if you agree with this statement quoted below, and then consider adding your input lag to the scenario while gaming.. perhaps reacting to an out of date mis-represented pixel-frame (the prior frame due to the real response times), and then your input directed after a noticeable input lag gap (perhaps just over another frame late with your input coming in at 18ms later.. two frames or more later if the TFT central quotes are correct).
at 60Hz refresh rate a monitor has a ~16 milliseconds duration for the pixels to respond before they might be told to change again, so if it takes say ~7 milliseconds for the response time of a certain LCD pixel to change from the old value to the new shade(to display a new image or frame) that pixel will be properly displayed for the remainder of the time(~9 milliseconds spent correctly displaying the shade its told to be out of the ~16 total duration period of the refresh rate)
... I have my own personal experiences as well as knowledge I've tried to keep up on, but I'm always willing to learn more , or to get a clearer picture (no pun intended) of what is going on in practice, dispelling myths included.

lol @ ZR30W recommendations. People need to learn how to read and learn about they products they buy.

"But I bought it and like it":rolleyes:

Color accuracy on the zr30w is outstanding. If one cares about accuracy, calibrate it. And it will out perform every other monitor in the list. In fact it is a hit on three of four of the criteria. Of the five he's looking at, it's the best fit. Note that no monitor hits on all four, so yeah, it's a good recommendation for the op.

Last edited:
Could not be further from the truth, unless we are only talking about 24"+ IPS. Perception of black depth is only subjective if one has never seen a display with deep blacks. HP ZR230W black level of 0.31 @210cdm/2. Blacks are not even close to being deep, contrast ratio stays around 700:1 across all ranges of luminance which is well below average. The HP ZR30W requires calibration from a Wide Gamut compatible colorimeter, the OP said he wanted accurate color and deep blacks and the HP provides neither. We get it you like your display, but come on.........

How on earth is it NOT subjective? Everyone perceives color, contrast, and light differently. "Deep black", when compared to a CRT, does not exist on ANY LCD!

Giving the "lol" treatment to people recommending the ZR30w for what this guy is asking is absurd. It's a completely viable option for what the OP is asking. The minor difference in black levels among the displays that fit within his other stated criteria are not necessarily what matters most to the OP.

From that same Anandtech link you posted:
"We would’ve liked to see just a bit more color accuracy, but the tradeoff for a dramatically bigger gamut is a good one to make. The ZR30w blew past the advertised 99% of AdobeRGB, coming in at just over 111% of the volume. It’s important to note that HP likely means coverage overlap of 99%, which the ZR30w does meet. But heck, having a volume bigger than the AdobeRGB volume is more notable. In person, the ZR30w is impressive all around. It’s bright, contrasty, and has colors that put my daily use monitors and others I’ve got laying around to shame; not an easy thing to do."

So yeah, it's not perfect. No monitor currently available is. But for you to outright dismiss it as a valid option for the OP to consider is ridiculous.

The 2ms 120hz über alles crowd will dismiss any IPS display, even if it's the best fit for the need.

Pretty much any modern VA panel has deeper blacks than most CRTs

If you actually understood what you are talking about you would know that the HP should be dismissed and statements like "contrasty," go agaisnt Andand techs own measurements and should be ignored.

Product fanboys are extremely annoying, especially when they clearly don't have a clue what they are talking about and just want to justify their purchase.

Last edited:
What monitor on his list is better suited?

Clearly I am wrong, everyone in this thread suggesting the same thing is wrong, Anandtech is wrong, and you're right.

Yes, in fact those who disagree with you are all fanboys.

Product fanboys are extremely annoying, especially when they clearly don't have a clue what they are talking about and just want to justify their purchase.

Almost as annoying as the reflexive haters. Fact is, you picked the one weakness of this display and discounted it, while ignoring the wins it racks up against the op's criteria. No monitor meets all his needs. No other monitor meets as many as well as the zr30w.

Last edited:
It has neither accurate color nor deep blacks, that is 2/4 of the criteria, and these are the most important aspects of image quality.

I get it, neither if you understand this, nor want to because you are both way to in love with your ZR30W.

Andand tech is wrong when saying a monitor with low contrast is contrasty, again not that I would expect either of you to understand this. The average CR is between 850-900:1 @200cdm/2 (Digital Versus). If the HP has a 700:1 contrast ratio, how can it be "contrasty," when it is well below average? How can the display be suited for the OP if it requires calibraiton and he does not mention owning a colorimeter? We don't even know if a gamma of 2.2 or color temperature of 6500k can actually be achieved, so we don't actually know if it can provude accurate colors after calibraiton. All we know is that it can achieve a low Delta E, which any monitor can achieve after calibraiton.

With each post it just becomes more and more obvious that neither of you understand the things being discussed and just want to feel good about your purchase. So go on, continue to embarass yourselves.

Last edited:
It has excellent accuracy, and better coverage than the others. Black levels are in the ballpark of the others. Latency is lower, and resolution is equal or higher. AR coating is light, and you dont need to put up with reflections....

So precisely which monitor are you recommending?

The fact is the ZR30w is arguably the best of the choices posted by the OP, based on the criteria set forth. You disagree with several people posting in this thread along with Anandtech's REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE.

There isn't any point to continue to waste time and bring this thread down any further. Plenty of suggestions here, all you do is try and shoot others down to make your own pitiful self feel better, so please continue to be an elitist douche.

I stand by my suggestion, good day.

It has neither accurate color ….
ZR30w is the only wide gamut display in consideration. This makes it an almost automatic win for color professionals, so for you to claim it has inaccurate color is indefensible. http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/hpzr30w_060110184507/23137.png

And it’s delta-e is excellent, better than most. http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/hpzr30w_060110184507/23135.png

“Moving to calibrated performance at 200 nits, the ZR30w really starts to deliver, with impressive Delta E of 1.01. Pay attention to the charts, there's not a single peak above 2.0, which is awesome.” - Anand
… nor deep blacks… The average CR is between 850-900:1….
Wrong. Your average CR is (apparently) across any panel technology. The average calibrated CR of the listed monitors is somewhere around 775, making the ZR30w’s 738 very respectable, equal to the Hazro and better than the 3007WFP. We know IPS panels suffer from relatively poor CR, but the HP isn’t uncompetitive in this group.
…Andand tech is wrong when saying a monitor with low contrast is contrasty….
No, Anadtech is not wrong. That statement was in the context of other monitors it is in competition with. In that group, this subjective statement is very reasonable. Some craptastic TN panel will blow it (and the others) away with CR, but who cares when it fails on all other accounts?
… How can the display be suited for the OP if it requires calibraiton and he does not mention owning a colorimeter? ….
So let me get this straight… you say the HP has inaccurate color (which is provably wrong), then claim it can’t be suitable for the OP because he doesn’t have any calibration equipment (you assume), all while the OP put color accuracy first on his list? I have no comment… If you don't have a calibrator, and want subjectively good color with almost no work, click the "EDID" checkbox in your GPU control panel, and enjoy.
…All we know is that it can achieve a low Delta E, which any monitor can achieve after calibration...
Um.. what? If any monitor could achieve this, why would anyone mention it in a review? This is the silliest thing you’ve written yet. I’ll tell you one thing, no other monitor in consideration can achieve a low delta-e while providing 111% of Adobe.
…With each post it just becomes more and more obvious that neither of you understand the things being discussed and just want to feel good about your purchase...
I own a ZR30w, and many other displays. I wouldn’t recommend it to everyone (nor even most), but this poster’s requirements line up quite well with this monitor, so I recommend it. You recommend… nothing actually… which must be a pretty easy position defend.

Last edited:
It has neither accurate color nor deep blacks, that is 2/4 of the criteria, and these are the most important aspects of image quality.

I get it, neither if you understand this, nor want to because you are both way to in love with your ZR30W.

Andand tech is wrong when saying a monitor with low contrast is contrasty, again not that I would expect either of you to understand this. The average CR is between 850-900:1 @200cdm/2 (Digital Versus). If the HP has a 700:1 contrast ratio, how can it be "contrasty," when it is well below average? How can the display be suited for the OP if it requires calibraiton and he does not mention owning a colorimeter? We don't even know if a gamma of 2.2 or color temperature of 6500k can actually be achieved, so we don't actually know if it can provude accurate colors after calibraiton. All we know is that it can achieve a low Delta E, which any monitor can achieve after calibraiton.

With each post it just becomes more and more obvious that neither of you understand the things being discussed and just want to feel good about your purchase. So go on, continue to embarass yourselves.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1620146

Discussing the technical merits of the argument is fine, but inferring that other forum members are simply unable to understand your point of view and that they are embarrassing themselves takes this to a personal level where it doesn't need to be. Civility and adult discussion is the requirement, if you can't disagree with someone without insulting their intelligence, you are not welcome to post here.

Last edited:
The 2ms 120hz über alles crowd will dismiss any IPS display, even if it's the best fit for the need.

From the latest 120hz threads I've been reading, 120hz requires 120fps maintained to get the full effect. If you are doing eyefinity/surround gaming with three 1080p 120hz it might cost some serious eye candy tradeoffs to maintain 120fps on the more demanding games if even possible at that rez on some games vs your gpu horsepower, and perhaps even single monitor gaming on the most demanding games of today and tomorrow would require some settings turned down. From the threads I've also heard that 120hz will send 120 updates to the panel per second, but that due to the real response times (quoted specs are grey to grey only) and the sample and hold nature of lcd tech - that the LCD panel will be unable to refresh fast enough and you will still get some blurring.. but maybe half as blurry as 60hz. (It will look nicer/a little tighter than 60hz if you spaz your mouse pointer around or hold a window and move it around on screen with your mouse too but I don't think that point is really worth it to me vs cost and image quality.)
...... Considering all of the above, I will probably try one out xmas/tax return time from somewhere with a good return policy... but I'm not getting my hopes up, especially considering the better 27" ones are prob going to be $650 or more while being TN quality, "only" 1080p, still having blurring and most likely costing you some graphics bells&whistles in order to maintain 120fps without dips. IPS image quality is so much better than TN that I will always have at least one in my array for the forseeable future regardless (perhaps three for eyefinity if I am not completely blown away by 120hz during return policy).

Absolutely,

I've always been a big proponent for people to understand that photos are a picture, of a picture, looked at on a monitor, which is a third picture, and there is so much that can happen to the image.

In that photo, for example, color differences between the middle, and right-most monitor could also simply be attributed to viewing angle + ambient lighting characteristics.

For the OP I would agree with others that the ZR30W is probably a good display in regards to criteria and I'd also say check out a 27" ACD as a second option, though based on price differences being generally negligible, the 30" wins IMHO. The other good aspect is that it is pretty much sRGB meaning that color would be more consistent between non-color managed and color-managed apps.

The good part about the ACD is that it's often available at Best Buy and other B&M for viewing to give the prospective buyer a good insight into how the reflections work out, as well as the color (which obviously looks better/deeper due to glossy).

The U2711 is unfortunately a solid screen let down by a poor AG application.

...point still stands.. photos give a false impression of saturation IRL. In fact in several of my pictures over the years the higher contrast and superior color range panel in dual setups would show up as the worse of the two in the picture. You also have to tweak and calibrate your monitor of course, and with inferior to pva contrast levels you have to pick how pale or dark you want your blacks vs details in blacks being lost at some point .. which is also affected by your room lighting as far as your human eyes percieve it. I think if anything glossy makes the colors more lush and pop. An over-aggressive AG coating over the top isn't going to make it better either, especially if it makes you think you can allow light pollution from direct lighting on your screen where you might think you are "immune" to it having AG (imo).

regarding the over-aggressive AG coating on the current gen of LG ips screens .. (u2711 thread)

The U2711 is unfortunately a solid screen let down by a poor AG application.

I was under the impression that all the LG panels had the same AG coating, including the HP screen?

Don't get me wrong, i'm not bashing the HP screen.. in fact i'm leaning towards one myself because the NEC pricetag is just too high.

@elvin: Well in general I was talking very subjective about the two displays (since I owned both at the same time and could do a comparison). That being said, that photo is very close to what I had experienced sitting in front of the two. This is the reason I sold the apple and bought 2 more dells. I'm not sure (haven't looked it up) but I'm fairly certain that the dell is a wide gamut monitor while the acd is not. I like colors that POP (very saturated colors where it's almost to the point where colors anr bleeding into each other) over color accuracy, so this plays into my opinion as well.

Why would anybody recommend a wide gamut monitor for normal use. If you want accuracy for sRGB, which games, the internet, and your desktop are displayed in, wide gamut is a poor choice. The amped colors look terrible and are very inaccurate.

Why would anybody recommend a wide gamut monitor for normal use. If you want accuracy for sRGB, which games, the internet, and your desktop are displayed in, wide gamut is a poor choice. The amped colors look terrible and are very inaccurate.

This is easily adjusted for in GPU software. As I suggested above, if you are an ATI/AMD user, you can click the EDID checkbox in the control panel. Instant correction, and by my admittedly uncalibrated eyes, looks accurate and fantastic. I suspect nVidia has a similarly easy solution.

You are still buying a monitor that requires corrective action at some level, here your video card, which may not be available outside of ATI users. How accurate the correction is another issue. Having a monitor designed for the color space you plan on using makes a lot more sense to me.

I don't know the specifications for the ZR30w, but depending output of your system and panel type, you might lose precision when reducing the color space. This can cause washed out colors, banding or other problems.

I don't know the specifications for the ZR30w, but depending output of your system and panel type, you might lose precision when reducing the color space. This can cause washed out colors, banding or other problems.

How could you even say this if you haven't seen a ZR30w? The colors look great and in no way washed out. Banding and other problems? Gee whiz dude, give us break.

Unless you use >8Bit color through the entire chain from desktop to LCD panel you can lose precision reducing the color space, how that affects the display depends on the design and implementation. I specifically said I did not know the specifications of the ZR30, I am just saying in general.

I was under the impression that all the LG panels had the same AG coating, including the HP screen?

Don't get me wrong, i'm not bashing the HP screen.. in fact i'm leaning towards one myself because the NEC pricetag is just too high.

I would think that most using the same panel would. There may be batch differences and there are definitely differences between different panels. The 24" LG panel in my LCD2490WUXI2 is less than the U2711 by a long shot and the 3008WFP is somewhere in between.

Of course, they are all different dot pitches and this may be more apparent in the more dense and tighter dot pitch of the U2711 and 3008WFP, but the U2711 is a far cry from the other two.

The NEC is a unique monitor and if you don't need all the profiling power it has, I'd not bother with it. For a professional level monitor it has a very modest price tag, but for general use it is expensive.

This is easily adjusted for in GPU software. As I suggested above, if you are an ATI/AMD user, you can click the EDID checkbox in the control panel. Instant correction, and by my admittedly uncalibrated eyes, looks accurate and fantastic. I suspect nVidia has a similarly easy solution.

No, as far as I know, the EDID color temperature control is unique to ATI. nVidia only has a saturation control which allows de-saturation. I can't remember if you can set it per monitor though, in case you are using a wide gamut screen beside an sRGB screen.

I tried this EDID color temprature control a long time ago and found that while the gamut was nicely reduced, there were some gamma issues with it. Admittedly I haven't tried it in a long time so it may have improved, as I'm running my nVidia GPU in my main PC now. I'll throw in the 5870 and see if it's any better now for curiosity's sake.

Agreed. Some monitors have a decent "gamut limiting" mode but most don't except for the aforementioned NEC PA271W, PA301W, or PA241W and some Eizo screens.

I'll give Dell credit for implementing a decent form of gamut limiting sRGB modes, but from what I've seen in the U2711, there is still some extra saturation over regular sRGB screens. I haven't seen the U2410 and U3011 but I'm assuming they are the same.

The NEC is a unique monitor and if you don't need all the profiling power it has, I'd not bother with it. For a professional level monitor it has a very modest price tag, but for general use it is expensive.

What do you mean by profiling power? I'm looking to purchase the NEC. I mainly play RTS/some FPS games and I watch a-lot of movies and tv shows. So both input lag and black light levels are my most sought after attributes. From what I've been reading... if I didn't mind spending extra $$$$ on quality, the NEC would beat out the ZR30w/3007WP in those two aspects, is that correct?

This is the NEC that I'm looking at: lcd3090wqxi-bk-r
http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/lcd3090wqxi-bk

I believe the OP and I have similar goals for our monitor. Except I may not be that interested in picture perfect color accuracy. (In regards to the above mentioned problems with running a wide gammut monitor in games/srgb)

For movies, considering the $1k and up price tag on most of these high rez ips moniitors, I'd get a 32" pva tv and slap it along side/above/beneath your main monitor or monitor array. Pva black levels and detail-in-blacks are much better, you'd be at native resolution for most hd video (1080p), and would have a scaler on a panel that you aren't gaming on. A good 32" could be had for $360 if you look hard enough.. though the higher end ones might be a refurb at that price. It seems silly to have that kind of budget and try to rig a higher end graphics monitor into being a video/tv playback device.. you'd be much happier with a dedicated pva panel.. ips can't compare for HD movies/TV/content. If you have some open space you could prob get a 40" HDTV for $400 or less alternately, but thats far to big for right at a deskt.
... For fps I'd require not having a scaler, which for the 30" over-agressive AG panels of this gen is pretty much limited to the zr30w though one of the euro hazros might be similar. The 27" ACD also has no scaler but it is glossy which some people don't prefer - but I do.. If the zr30w was glossy or at least matte I may have got that instead, though now that I've used the pixel density and size of the 27" I think I'd prob still prefer it.

For movies, considering the $1k and up price tag on most of these high rez ips moniitors, I'd get a 32" pva tv and slap it along side/above/beneath your main monitor or monitor array. Pva black levels and detail-in-blacks are much better, you'd be at native resolution for most hd video (1080p), and would have a scaler on a panel that you aren't gaming on. A good 32" could be had for $360 if you look hard enough.. though the higher end ones might be a refurb at that price. It seems silly to have that kind of budget and try to rig a higher end graphics monitor into being a video/tv playback device.. you'd be much happier with a dedicated pva panel.. ips can't compare for HD movies/TV/content. If you have some open space you could prob get a 40" HDTV for $400 or less alternately, but thats far to big for right at a deskt.
... For fps I'd require not having a scaler, which for the 30" over-agressive AG panels of this gen is pretty much limited to the zr30w though one of the euro hazros might be similar. The 27" ACD also has no scaler but it is glossy which some people don't prefer - but I do.. If the zr30w was glossy or at least matte I may have got that instead, though now that I've used the pixel density and size of the 27" I think I'd prob still prefer it.

http://www.hazro.com/index.php?pid3.html

That Hazro has a stated input lag 1ms less than the ZR30w. And you're saying that it doesn't have the AG that the NEC/other 30"s have????

I might have to jump on that... it can be had for less than the NEC I was looking at.

I said one of the hazro models might not be heavy AG.. they might have a glossy one - but that might be a 27" 1440p too. I'm not really up on the hazro models so I'm a little hazy on recalling sorry. The other problem with hazro if you are in the usa is that I've heard support is lacking.
....I still think you would be better off adding a 32" pva tv in addition to whatever ips you decide later on if you are watching HD movies/tv/vids at your desk, rather than buying your ips screen around that content consideration. The black levels are no comparison. I ran a fw900 24" widescreen crt next to a TN for 3 years and would always put HD material on the crt. IPS has better colors than TN but the black levels are no comparison to pva. For example, I watched a little "LoTR" I recorded off OTA antenna in HD in media center on my ips and then switched to living room samsung LED edgelit glossy (46" pva LCD) and the blacks were so deep.. really no comparison to anything other than crt and perhaps plasma.

Must have:[ ] Accurate color
[ ]Deep blacks
[X]Very low input lag
[X]High resolution (2560 x 1600 or 2560 x 1440)
If this is for gaming and gaming ONLY. the HP ZR30w is what you want. Accurate color and deep blacks are "Good" but not excellent. If you have to pick and choose on your gaming needs, I would go with low input lag to be honest.

I said one of the hazro models might not be heavy AG.. they might have a glossy one - but that might be a 27" 1440p too. I'm not really up on the hazro models so I'm a little hazy on recalling sorry. The other problem with hazro if you are in the usa is that I've heard support is lacking.
....I still think you would be better off adding a 32" pva tv in addition to whatever ips you decide later on if you are watching HD movies/tv/vids at your desk, rather than buying your ips screen around that content consideration. The black levels are no comparison. I ran a fw900 24" widescreen crt next to a TN for 3 years and would always put HD material on the crt. IPS has better colors than TN but the black levels are no comparison to pva. For example, I watched a little "LoTR" I recorded off OTA antenna in HD in media center on my ips and then switched to living room samsung LED edgelit glossy (46" pva LCD) and the blacks were so deep.. really no comparison to anything other than crt and perhaps plasma.

Great post, Ty. I may end up doing that... I'll have to figure out how to mount the tv.

What do you mean by profiling power? I'm looking to purchase the NEC. I mainly play RTS/some FPS games and I watch a-lot of movies and tv shows. So both input lag and black light levels are my most sought after attributes. From what I've been reading... if I didn't mind spending extra $$$$ on quality, the NEC would beat out the ZR30w/3007WP in those two aspects, is that correct?

This is the NEC that I'm looking at: lcd3090wqxi-bk-r
http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/lcd3090wqxi-bk

I believe the OP and I have similar goals for our monitor. Except I may not be that interested in picture perfect color accuracy. (In regards to the above mentioned problems with running a wide gammut monitor in games/srgb)

If you're not interested in super accurate colors the NEC monitors shouldn't be on the list. I was talking specifically about the PA271W or PA series in general which not only have internal calibration capability where you calibrate the monitor and not just the video card, but the ability to create color profiles to match the monitor to specific gamma and gamut targets.

These aren't requirements for most people out there.

In terms of input lag the NECs will be higher/worse than the ZR30w and 3007WFP.

If you're not interested in super accurate colors the NEC monitors shouldn't be on the list. I was talking specifically about the PA271W or PA series in general which not only have internal calibration capability where you calibrate the monitor and not just the video card, but the ability to create color profiles to match the monitor to specific gamma and gamut targets.

These aren't requirements for most people out there.

In terms of input lag the NECs will be higher/worse than the ZR30w and 3007WFP.

Really? (On the input lag) That's good to know... man... I keep pinging around all over the place trying to find a new 30". I found some 30" Zr30ws on ebay for $500 but they state they don't check for dead pixels... that's my biggest worry atm.

Been hearing some rumblings about new LG ips' with very high rez.. aka "Quad full HD" - though might be in the next year (or 2). Apple prob going to release similar as well.

http://flatpanelshd.com/pictures/lgsid2011-1l.jpg

Should be plenty of rez at 27" 16:9 to satisfy... 3840x2160.

I might scrap my eyefinity idea for next year if things are changing that much within perhaps a year if lucky (depends on price of course). I'll stand pat with my 27" 2560x1440 and its side portraits for awhile and see what the outlook is.

Last edited:
I'm still really unclear as to which monitor is really the best... in my case all 3 are roughly the same price, give or take an amount I won't cry over.

Dell U3011 - I see many people raging about the anti-gloss coating and I also see a few complaints about input lag. My girlfriend has the U2411 and I don't have any issues with what I've seen with it, though I haven't tried hooking it up to my computer and gaming with it...
1. How bad is the lag/AG really? How is it compared to the U2411? If its close and the U2411 works fine for my personal tastes, then I think I can ignore those issues.

Dell 3008 - I see complaints about the colour quality here and otherwise I am unclear, anyone know if its any good? This is actually the most expensive of the options.

HP ZR30w - I've seen some complaints about the blacks and colours (oversaturation), but that the input lag is better than the U3011.

Are there any other monitors I should be looking at? (I'm in europe/Germany).

Thanks for any feedback.

Uhhhh, there have been 75 replies to your thread. How much more input do you need? Every monitor has its goods and bads. None are perfect.

I saw some Apple Cinema display 27" monitors this weekend. Nice monitor. It would be even nicer if it wasn't glossy. The thing was reflective enough for me to use while shaving.

It (the cinema display) glares more from seeing light sources in the screen. Any kind of store and most office environments will have banks of bright fluorescents above and behind you (in front of the display surface) which will exacerbate glares and reflections (flooding a display with direct light also pollutes the color space and contrast of AG coated screens whether people acknowledge it or not - thats why some of the high end NEC's have monitor hoods, and prob why most color testing is done in dark conditions).
.. I keep my corner desk facing out from the corner of my room, boxing off the corner more or less. I have a few lamps adjacent to the screens and desk, but nothing above me or behind me that would be a light source showing "in" the display surface. The room itself has a few windows, regular room lights, and even a large very brightly lit salwater aquarium... none of which will apply direct light or show in the glossy display surface the way I have my back facing the corner. If you don't have the room(space) or you don't have control of your environment or the means to design your deskspace and lighting accordingly, its probably not the display for you. For me, the glossy screen is very clear and display very lush. I also have a 46" led edgelit samsung TV in my living room, which is glossy and whose back is to my picture window. I have adjacent floor lamps, and one lamp behind the large wrap-around couch - though i have that lamp on a remote that I turn off when viewing tv. Again the display and blacks are very lush (extra nice blacks since it is a pva panel in this case). I also own a 10.1" asus transformer tablet that is IPS and glossy 1280x800. The tablet is the only screen that I run into real glare issues with on occasion, since I use it in so many different locations. Luckily I have full control of the large modeled rec-room/2nd living room my desk space is in , as well as my living room my tv is in.. so the layout and lighting plans are set up appropriately to prevent light pollution from direct lighting and light sources don't change like they do when I use my tablet. - that said I wouldn't change my tablet coating from glossy even if I had the chance. I think all my glossy screens look gorgeous in the proper conditions. They would not be nicer if they weren't glossy... and they would be bad if they had over-agressive AG crystal-haze/grease polluting solid colors (esp whites) and distorting text and fine details in photos.. I'd like a clear glass instead of an empty frosty mug so to speak. Whatever you like is your choice of course.. It would be nice if they would put out different coatings on the same models, with a different suffix on the model number so people have a choice either way.

Last edited:
The NEC PA series screens have a measured input lag at 35ms or approximately two frames worth of delay, which is middling for an IPS screen and poor compared to most gaming TN displays out there.

Again, PRAD.de seems to have comprehensive reviews and goes into a good deal of detail. TFTCentral.co.uk is also a very nice resource which is less heavy on the technical jargon. Both sites have reviewed the NEC/HP/Dell screens so you can compare them on there.

Either way, I'm bummed Planar replaced the PX2611W with a cruddy TN panel for the newer model. I'll probably just sit this generation out until LG can release a display without a horrible coating or see what Samsung comes out with this their new PLS technology... although for color reproduction it doesn't look all that promising.

Back