Longest games

455olds

Gawd
I read Oblivion was the longest game but I have never played it.
I thought GTA San Andreas was a long game playing to 100%. In one of the guides I read ,it said San Andreas should take 150 hours to complete to 100%
Has anyone played both? Is Oblivion longer?
Any other long games?

Oblivion is definitely much longer than 150 hours. The Baldur's Gate series is also another set of games well known for their length, and both can have their length doubled, trebled, or more by mods; for example, the Darkest Day mod for Baldur's Gate II adds 200 hours to gameplay according to the mod team, which would almost double the length of the game. As for Oblivion, I would say about 250 hours? These numbers are little more than an estimate, though. Since both games are relatively open-ended, what you decide to take on will obviously have an effect, as well as your skill level and your interest in the background of the game worlds.

But definitely, if you're into that sort of thing, you really get your money's worth with Oblivion and Baldur's Gate.

What do you mean by long though? It takes less than 20 hours to complete Oblivion if you just do the main quest line.

In that respect... a game is as long as you want it to be. In which case, WOW is 'longest game' since people log easily thousands of hours... and it's technically never 'completed'.

What do you mean by long though? It takes less than 20 hours to complete Oblivion if you just do the main quest line.

In that respect... a game is as long as you want it to be. In which case, WOW is 'longest game' since people log easily thousands of hours... and it's technically never 'completed'.

Thats the hard thing about the games out there like Oblivion, Mass Effect, etc. They are as long as you want them to be instead of having a clear A -> B path.

For a long A -> B path type of game I would say the GTA type games are probably some of the longest (Crackdown, Saints Row, GTA, etc. all can take a lot of time to reach 100% and have a clear path to get to 100%).

But why would you buy Oblivion just to play the main quest? It doesn't seem very interesting, and it certainly means you lose out on an awful lot.

I put almost 200 hours into fallout 3, my friend clocked in over 300. This is with all the dlcs as well, and we both like to collect as much stuff as possible but my friend is almost ocd about it. If you stick to just the main quest however it will be done in a fraction of that time, although I imagine it would be quite difficult as you wouldn't really have the levels or equipment to live.

If you stick to just the main quest however it will be done in a fraction of that time, although I imagine it would be quite difficult as you wouldn't really have the levels or equipment to live.

It's not in games like that... since the enemies level with you.

But why would you buy Oblivion just to play the main quest? It doesn't seem very interesting, and it certainly means you lose out on an awful lot.
To each their own. I spent over 100 hours in Oblivion, I also have friends who spent less than 20.

Back on topic though... just doing the main quest line usually takes 30-50 hours in most JRPG's. I've also spent over 100 hours on some JRPG's doing side quests, secret missions, post-completion content.

But again, with no clear definition of what 'completion' is, you can arbitrarily make any game as long as you wish.

Disgaea games are all pretty long.

I'm on the last chapter of Disgaea 3 and I'm over 40 hours now. That's just the main campaign... the achievements would take months. And the level cap I think is 9999.

Thats the hard thing about the games out there like Oblivion, Mass Effect, etc. They are as long as you want them to be instead of having a clear A -> B path.

For a long A -> B path type of game I would say the GTA type games are probably some of the longest (Crackdown, Saints Row, GTA, etc. all can take a lot of time to reach 100% and have a clear path to get to 100%).
I never played Oblivion. I though it was cut and dry,you just played it through and that was it. There is no way of telling if you played the hole thing through?
I just got done playing Crysis and Crysis Warhead and I think it took me about a week for both,not many hours. It took me a lot longer to play any of the GTA games.

Last remnant, easily longest F'in battles ive ever had.

Dragon age is relatively long also, completed the game with about 85hrs in

I never played Oblivion. I though it was cut and dry,you just played it through and that was it. There is no way of telling if you played the hole thing through?
I just got done playing Crysis and Crysis Warhead and I think it took me about a week for both,not many hours. It took me a lot longer to play any of the GTA games.
No, Oblivion has a main quest. As people here have said, it's not that long; 20 hours if you're good. The thing with Oblivion, though, is that the main quest is set in a game world with a whole lot of other stuff to do. You get a much better experience from the game from not just doing the main quest, but exploring and doing other quest lines as well; for example, the Thieves' Guild quest line is much, much longer than 20 hours long. Most of the quest lines offer reasonable pay and loot, which also help a lot in the main quest.

If Oblivion is long what is Morrowind which came out before it and didn't have all the map travel and map markers in it.

I easily have logged hundreds of hours into both of these because they are so addicting with all of the mods and different story lines you can follow

If Oblivion is long what is Morrowind which came out before it and didn't have all the map travel and map markers in it.

I easily have logged hundreds of hours into both of these because they are so addicting with all of the mods and different story lines you can follow
The lack of instant travel is one of the things that made me never get into Morrowind. And just because a game is long does not automatically mean that all that length is good.

The lack of instant travel is one of the things that made me never get into Morrowind. And just because a game is long does not automatically mean that all that length is good.
So true. I could make a game that takes 1000 hours to beat but isn't worth playing. At the same time, I have had a lot of fun in some of the shorter games that have came out. Both Portal and Mirror's Edge were short and a lot of fun.

Far Cry 2.

I played for 1000 hours, and finally quit. Turns out it was only about 3 hours, but it felt like an eternity.

I still haven't beaten GTA4 myself, but I blame that on the sandbox 'go screw around' vibe. I'll like do missions for 10 minutes, then spend an hour just causing mayhem and other randomness. I don't even buy into that whole 100%ing thing. That's just obsessive on a whole 'nother level lol.

Disgaea games are all pretty long.

I'm on the last chapter of Disgaea 3 and I'm over 40 hours now. That's just the main campaign... the achievements would take months. And the level cap I think is 9999.

Took me like 500 hours to reach the level cap and then have my character reincarnated in the first Disgaea. Beating the main story in those games is easy, its the optional dungeons that are a bitch and require some insanely high levels.

This was true for me as well. I never could finish Morrowind as much as I loved the elder scrolls games. I'd eventually just get sick of traveling from place to place and give up.

For non-MMO games I sunk the most time in FFVII or FFXII, both probably 70+ hours. Most RPG games I usually spend 40-50 hours on so they're all long games. Also the reason I don't play as many as I used too.

To the OP. I would say its a toss up between the 2 games you listed. I have played both. I dont remember if there was a way to tell your percentage in Oblivion but I do know GTA games are good for showing you that. SA took a very long time as did Oblivion but I had allot of fun doing both.

Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 was one of the longest game I played when I was in high school way way back during the 'cool looking' big boxes, thick manuals, et. al. era.

STALKER:SoC seemed pretty long to me,especially if you try and do all the side missions.And in freeplay mode with the Complete 2009 mod,it can last as long as you have the inclination to play it.

Final Fantasy Tactics.

...Never did get that 13th Zodiac Stone in the Deep Dark Dungeon. =/

The lack of instant travel is one of the things that made me never get into Morrowind.
Morrowind had fast travel via Silt Striders, boats, and Propylon index stones. You couldn't just click a location on a map and be instantly transported there, but if you spent some time learning the various fast travel routes in Morrowind, you end up spending very little time walking/running from place to place.

So true. I could make a game that takes 1000 hours to beat but isn't worth playing.
Morrowind's main quest is probably a good thirty hours, and it stands pretty well on its own. It's not as if the side-quests are mandatory.

Oblivion was too open, more so than fallout 3 IMO. The time it takes to master skills, complete all the guild quests, buy houses, discover and explore all the caves and ruins is a long, long time. Doing it on the hardest difficulty would be insane most likely even when you are near on invicible.

If you want a long game, then something like mount and blade would be good, no end to that just larger and larger battles and empires. If you have the computer for it of course.

The Baldur's Gate series is also another set of games well known for their length, and both can have their length doubled, trebled, or more by mods; for example, the Darkest Day mod for Baldur's Gate II adds 200 hours to gameplay according to the mod team, which would almost double the length of the game.

Holy crap! Reinstalling BG2 now. It's my all time favorite game.

Oblivion was too open, more so than fallout 3 IMO. The time it takes to master skills, complete all the guild quests, buy houses, discover and explore all the caves and ruins is a long, long time. Doing it on the hardest difficulty would be insane most likely even when you are near on invicible.
The quests aren't mandatory, and neither are the ruins and caves. Of course, if you want, you can, but the repetition would get a bit boring, IMO. And the only skill I think takes too long to Master is the athletics one, seeing as you don't really need to run anywhere far with fast travel and horses.

I read Oblivion was the longest game but I have never played it.
I thought GTA San Andreas was a long game playing to 100%. In one of the guides I read ,it said San Andreas should take 150 hours to complete to 100%
Has anyone played both? Is Oblivion longer?
Any other long games?

Turok 2 is a pretty long game, especially its second level which I don't think I've beaten still lol.

I still haven't beaten GTA4 myself, but I blame that on the sandbox 'go screw around' vibe. I'll like do missions for 10 minutes, then spend an hour just causing mayhem and other randomness. I don't even buy into that whole 100%ing thing. That's just obsessive on a whole 'nother level lol.

Its the perfect ADHD game. :D ...dont take long to go through though. less than 60 hours for sure.

The Ultimate series (Lord British) took me forever to get through.... V - IX, months and months.

I WAR II - Edge of Chaos .... loooong game! HARD!

Turok 2 is a pretty long game, especially its second level which I don't think I've beaten still lol.

Turok was great but defiantly not long. I finished the game on the 'ol 64 when I was in the 2nd grade.

Oblivion was long. So was DAO. I never finished Oblivion because there was too much to do :p and never felt rewarding enough.

Borderlands can be pretty long if you follow every minor quest. However, the ending is so stupid that I'd recommend against prolonging your time with the game.

The Witcher was pretty long without resorting to a lot of generic quests or generic dungeon crawls.

Oblivion, KOTOR( have played through this 4 or 5 times each time I spent the better part of 4-5 days glued to the computer haha), system shock 2.

I know I am forgetting some games...

The longest game I ever played due to trying to figure out quest lines was Phantasie 2 on the C64. The quests were not well laid out.

I'd imagine The Witcher would be a pretty lengthy game as far as main story quests go.

Like others have said, most any "Open World" type game is going to be pretty long. Oblivion, Stalker, GTA, Assassins Creed etc etc are all games that are pretty much as long as you want to make them due to the open world/side quest environment. They can get kinda tedious if you get OCD about completing all the quests or finding all the artifacts/objects etc, but they are definitely time killers.

Other than that, any good multi-player game (FPS like the halo series, CS, Battlefield series, COD series; MMORPGs like WOW, Guildwars, LOTR Online; Sports games like Madden, FIFA, Fight Night; RTS like Starcraft, Warcraft series, Command and Conquer series) is going to have a long playable life, as long as you have someone to compete against.

Plenty of choices out there that can keep you entertained for a long time. I still play CS:S, and it came out in 2004 I believe, not to mention the odd game of Scorched Earth that I bust out on occasion (1991 ftw!).

Betrayal at Krondor was well north of a hundred hours. Blade and Sword was pretty long too.
They don't win, but they're worth mentioning, and actually FUN :D

Morrowind had fast travel via Silt Striders, boats, and Propylon index stones. You couldn't just click a location on a map and be instantly transported there, but if you spent some time learning the various fast travel routes in Morrowind, you end up spending very little time walking/running from place to place.

Morrowind's main quest is probably a good thirty hours, and it stands pretty well on its own. It's not as if the side-quests are mandatory.

Dont forget the Boots Of Blinding Speed!! I loved those things, and Yes I did run around with only the minimap until I found out about the resist magic spell :)

this got me thinking what some of hte longest games out there for different genres are.

ofcourse RPGs are going to clock in at the longest overall but i started to think about the longest FPS/RTS i've played.

i remember Deus Ex was a good size for an FPS but for me i think Jedi Knight (Dark Forces 2) clocked in at the longest FPS.

Theatre of War (a sim/rts) was a long RTS, i never did finish it. mainly because its pacing was very slow. Soldiers Heroes of WWII was a good length RTS.. Supreme Commander comes in as my biggest disappointment, the single player ended up being a glorified tutorial.

Xwing Alliance was a good long space sim, although i think the X series takes the longest (its an open world a la GTA/Oblivion)

The open world games... well... they can take a massive amount of time. For something on 'rails', I'd have to give points to Total Annihilation: Kingdoms. That game seemed like a huge number of levels.

Back