Longest games

Oblivion has already been listed, but I'm going to say it again as a special case for anyone who would be interested in adding in extra content.

I actually think Bethesda slacked in the creating of Oblivion, but I do think they really made an incredible canvas for modders to work with. And they've done some incredible stuff.
I honestly would never be able to play the retail oblivion again.

My oblivion is now 25gb's of pure pain for example.
I admittedly have a problem though :D

Anyone who complains about Morrowind travel needs to go back to that game. First, there are plenty of insta travel methods (mark, recall, divine intervention, silt striders, boats).... but also there are mods that have instant travel to any town/city.

but that's not the best part......

Get the spell effect Jump 1000 pts.... and you will have the best travel ever in any game EVER. While you're at it, go get the graphics extender mod to see for miles. Then you can jump from city to city in a single hop. Oh what a blast! I've never witnessed such acceleration of game movement. I've messed around with speed/agility spell effects and and the jump effect, and I jumped about half the distance of the game. I've never moved so fast in any other game. Falling from the jump can be scary.

Modded Morrowind might overtake modded Oblivion as far as gametime. It's tough to tell, but nothing will come close to beating Elder Scrolls 2, Daggerfall. That game would take years and years to actually "do everything." Daggerfall is the longest game.

Last edited:
out of the games I've played, GTA games took the most time for me to complete because of all the mini-missions.

Anyone who complains about Morrowind travel needs to go back to that game. First, there are plenty of insta travel methods (mark, recall, divine intervention, silt striders, boats).... but also there are mods that have instant travel to any town/city.

but that's not the best part......

Get the spell effect Jump 1000 pts.... and you will have the best travel ever in any game EVER.

Those boots were a blast! I did go back and seriously try to play Morrowind again after Oblivion and I just couldn't. The interface was too dated and the game was just not fun to play.

Hmm, in the last couple of years, the longest games I played were definitely RPGs. Fallout3 in 2008 took me about 40 hours to complete, and I still have yet to go through the DLC content. In 2009 Dragon Age Origins came out to 66 hours. These were complete, single player games, though.

If I had to point out a game that seemed to never end, then it is probably WoW... across all my characters, in the five years that it's been online through the various expansions, I have nearly three hundred days played. Almost a whole frigging year of my life, playing that game. Probably nothing compared to folks who have been playing something like Starcraft since it came out!

but nothing will come close to beating Elder Scrolls 2, Daggerfall. That game would take years and years to actually "do everything." Daggerfall is the longest game.

Finally someone mentions Daggerfall! 15,000 towns and over 750,000 non-player characters.

Oblivion is definitely much longer than 150 hours. The Baldur's Gate series is also another set of games well known for their length, and both can have their length doubled, trebled, or more by mods; for example, the Darkest Day mod for Baldur's Gate II adds 200 hours to gameplay according to the mod team, which would almost double the length of the game. As for Oblivion, I would say about 250 hours? These numbers are little more than an estimate, though. Since both games are relatively open-ended, what you decide to take on will obviously have an effect, as well as your skill level and your interest in the background of the game worlds.

But definitely, if you're into that sort of thing, you really get your money's worth with Oblivion and Baldur's Gate.

Baldurs Gate games are quite long and do have some great mods. Before you get involved remember that all the Baldurs Gate mods simply reuse areas from the game series which make parts of it extremely lame.

Yeah, I think the town structure and NPC's (though not the visuals) where uniquely generated, though the experience doesn't feel all that unique after a long while of playing.

Back