Logitech MX 518 w/ Hero sensor

Discussion in 'Mice and Keyboards' started by Comixbooks, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

Meeho likes this.
  2. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

Cool...I wonder if the scroll wheel will get sticky/gummy/tacky like the old ones, though. It looks the same, or very similar. Otherwise, looks great!

3. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

its a "reproduction" from china, ie fake.

AltTabbins and atarione like this.
  4. daveayee

daveayee n00b

Miss my old Mx518, I don't even know what happened to it. Keeping an eye out for another one

5. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

It's offical you can't buy one in the states just yet.

6. pendragon1

"Item location: SZ, China" - ill bet on fake.

AltTabbins likes this.
  7. daveayee

daveayee n00b

Fake or not, still looks like it will do what a mouse does.

8. pendragon1

9. daveayee

daveayee n00b

my bad. didn't realize you were talking about an eBay item

10. pendragon1

bet that's a scam too. lots of "never showed up" and "refunded" comments under the store reviews and a five star "no"...
    the only "review" I see is made up of a copy/paste from the HK site with some indian guy's appeniss comments about it coming back, not an actual hands on review. nobody has actually gotten hands on with one of them, the only places selling them are Alibaba, egg(corn electronics) and ebay, so I think these are scams even if the mouse does exist in HK.

11. daveayee

daveayee n00b

But it is on the internet. So it must be real

pendragon1 likes this.
  12. surlyroad

surlyroad [H]Lite

I still have my Mx518. It's in great cosmetic shape, but has some internal problem that I need to try to fix. When mine started acting wonky I just set it aside and bought a Logitech G402, which is a good mouse, IMO. But I wish I had bought like five Mx518s back in the day. It really was a great mouse.

13. daveayee

daveayee n00b

I know the feeling. I bought the mx518 when they came out. had it for years. Then i got like a G9 or something. Then the G400s came out and I have used that ever since. I paid $40 brand new when they came out, now they ask $200AU for them new, so i am glad i got one when i did. It is getting old now though, if i do get another mouse it will be an old mx518 again.

surlyroad likes this.
  14. surlyroad

surlyroad [H]Lite

Just the feel of the Mx518 in the hand was great.

I really haven't thought about fixing mine for years.

15. daveayee

daveayee n00b

They still get around. Grab a new one

16. blitzkommando

blitzkommando Gawd

I loved mine. I'm currently using a Corsair M65 but if this were to pop up here, and not from a Chinese reseller, I'd pick one up. I've still not found one as comfortable for my hands as the MX518. And, yeah, I even liked the weird mid 2000s shell aesthetic.

surlyroad likes this.
  17. daveayee

daveayee n00b

Have you tried the G400?

18. daveayee

daveayee n00b

olrder.png

19. daveayee

daveayee n00b

Price in AU. so apx $27 for the g400 lol. still not quite as good as the mx518 though. Ill get another one day

20. daveayee

daveayee n00b

Yeah, getting hard to find in Aus. I want to buy 2 of them lol. one to use and one to sit in the box for the next 50 years and see if its worth anything lol

21. maro

maro Limp Gawd

Look for a announcement from Logitech on the 19th. It is looking like it will be the MX518 Legendary and is hopefully getting a global launch tomorrow so it may be available in NA.
    Does not look like it will have the beloved 3366 sensor, but the HERO sensor instead. I s'pose it is time for me to read up on the Hero sensor - I am assuming it is Logitech's own variant of the 3389/3391.

Whatever it is Logitech will be taking some more of my $$$....

** edit - it looks like sensor is more like a Mercury variant than a Pixart variant, which would make sense.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    surlyroad likes this.
  22. surlyroad

surlyroad [H]Lite

Good news! Thanks much.

23. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

If they lauched the G9X that would be great....

24. dragonstongue

dragonstongue 2[H]4U

I still miss my MX518 as well, had for many many years (original not the wonky new one that had I think was 3 or 4 skates ? ) what I recall I did not like about it however were those skates did not last all that long even when using on a low friction surface :( .... I got a G500S currently, is "close" handfeel etc to what the 518 was, just a bit quicker and with adjustable weights etc.

25. surlyroad

surlyroad [H]Lite

My MX518 is probably fixable. Mouse pointer just drifts to the left a bit. Yeah, everything has it's way of working out, the ebb and flow of time. Eventually I'll dig into it and fix it.

Eddies in the space-time continuum.

There is nothing on this site, or any sites, worthy of getting your blood pressure to rise.

Relax. Breath in deep. Hold it. Exhale.

Take care of your family and friends.

Take care of yourself.

26. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

27. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

I still miss it sounds like a big snowflake who used to play World of Warcraft with It. G9X needs to make a comeback..... I read on the Overclock forums this is a good mouse but the shell has changed it's glossy and the mouse clicks are more rigid but I would have to try one to see if that was the case.
    The problem with Logitech Mice now they take chances on shapes I mean the Logitech Proteus sold like crazy but the shape and side buttons suck that is why I use a Razer Deathadder I couldn't stand using a Proetus for the side buttons alone. I think Logitech pays attention to the reviews on Amazon and not what the Overclock.net people say who are basically the experts on mice.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  28. Adidas4275

Adidas4275 [H]ardness Supreme

Love my mx518 been using mine for a decade

Armenius likes this.
  29. RPGWiZaRD

RPGWiZaRD [H]ard|Gawd

Shell is also glossy on the original MX518, I still use mine as I haven't been able to find a better shape out there :p About glossy I'm two-sided, I like the feel as it feels more smooth to your hand but kinda dislike that it gets easily more sweaty at the same time.

The good about MX518 Legendary:

- HERO sensor (obviously)
    - Lighter than before at 100g compared to 106~108g depending on version of MX518/G400/G400s. Gaming mice these days strive to be lighter, around 90~95g is kinda the "norm" average kind of weight FPS pros want so in that sense the slight weight reduction is a welcomed change
    - Appearently has some of the thinnest and most flexible rubber cables out there now while the original had some of the thickest and unflexible cable out there and it has ofc a strain relief added which the original MX518 lacked (hence the common cable lost connectivity issue)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Armenius likes this.
  30. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Awe yeah! Just got this in my news feed and was about to post.

Looks like I'll be getting this. Still have my original but it exhibits double clicking issues. Thank god there is not fucking RGB on it. Will kind of miss the bowling ball texture though :p

Armenius likes this.
  31. Armenius

I had an MX510 I used until 2013, and I only replaced it because the mouse wheel literally fell off. Best mouse design ever, in my opinion. Already have this new one preordered.

32. Domingo

Domingo [H]ard as it Gets

I'm weirded out by this move back to 2 thumb buttons. Everything either has like 40 thumb buttons or two.

33. Armenius

I've used several mice over the past decade and have found 2 to be the perfect number. With 4 I'd find my thumb constantly hitting the adjacent buttons all the time, and any more than that is just ridiculous in my opinion. Some of those mice marketed for MMOs with their 20 macro buttons just look confusing. Is anyone really going to develop the muscle memory to know which button to hit at a critical time and where it is? I find keyboard macros in those instances to be much more useful, which is why I have a K95.

34. Domingo

Domingo [H]ard as it Gets

I like using my right hand for as many functions as possible. Could be because I prefer pads and all of the buttons are on the right. I think 3-4 thumb buttons is ideal for me, but fewer and fewer mice are offering that option. I wouldn't mind a mouse with a ring finger button, too. Back in the dark ages of the 90's I had a 3-button mouse with a wheel, too. I never saw another one.

Armenius likes this.
  35. LightsOut41

LightsOut41 Limp Gawd

Just ordered one from Amazon. I had the original back in the day, but pitched it when it started to act up.

36. TechLarry

TechLarry Can't find the G Spot

Original Version is still available too :)

upload_2019-2-25_11-36-7.png