Logitech MX 518 w/ Hero sensor

Cool...I wonder if the scroll wheel will get sticky/gummy/tacky like the old ones, though. It looks the same, or very similar. Otherwise, looks great!

Miss my old Mx518, I don't even know what happened to it. Keeping an eye out for another one

bet that's a scam too. lots of "never showed up" and "refunded" comments under the store reviews and a five star "no"...
the only "review" I see is made up of a copy/paste from the HK site with some indian guy's appeniss comments about it coming back, not an actual hands on review. nobody has actually gotten hands on with one of them, the only places selling them are Alibaba, egg(corn electronics) and ebay, so I think these are scams even if the mouse does exist in HK.

bet that's a scam too. lots of "never showed up" and "refunded" comments under the store reviews and a five star "no"...
the only "review" I see is made up of a copy/paste from the HK site with some indian guy's appeniss comments about it coming back, not an actual hands on review. nobody has actually gotten hands on with one of them, the only places selling them are Alibaba, egg(corn electronics) and ebay, so I think these are scams even if the mouse does exist in HK.
But it is on the internet. So it must be real

I still have my Mx518. It's in great cosmetic shape, but has some internal problem that I need to try to fix. When mine started acting wonky I just set it aside and bought a Logitech G402, which is a good mouse, IMO. But I wish I had bought like five Mx518s back in the day. It really was a great mouse.

I still have my Mx518. It's in great cosmetic shape, but has some internal problem that I need to try to fix. When mine started acting wonky I just set it aside and bought a Logitech G402, which is a good mouse, IMO. But I wish I had bought like five Mx518s back in the day. It really was a great mouse.

I know the feeling. I bought the mx518 when they came out. had it for years. Then i got like a G9 or something. Then the G400s came out and I have used that ever since. I paid $40 brand new when they came out, now they ask $200AU for them new, so i am glad i got one when i did. It is getting old now though, if i do get another mouse it will be an old mx518 again.

Just the feel of the Mx518 in the hand was great.

I really haven't thought about fixing mine for years.

I loved mine. I'm currently using a Corsair M65 but if this were to pop up here, and not from a Chinese reseller, I'd pick one up. I've still not found one as comfortable for my hands as the MX518. And, yeah, I even liked the weird mid 2000s shell aesthetic.

I loved mine. I'm currently using a Corsair M65 but if this were to pop up here, and not from a Chinese reseller, I'd pick one up. I've still not found one as comfortable for my hands as the MX518. And, yeah, I even liked the weird mid 2000s shell aesthetic.
Have you tried the G400?

Have you tried the G400?
olrder.png

Price in AU. so apx $27 for the g400 lol. still not quite as good as the mx518 though. Ill get another one day

Yeah, getting hard to find in Aus. I want to buy 2 of them lol. one to use and one to sit in the box for the next 50 years and see if its worth anything lol

Look for a announcement from Logitech on the 19th. It is looking like it will be the MX518 Legendary and is hopefully getting a global launch tomorrow so it may be available in NA.
Does not look like it will have the beloved 3366 sensor, but the HERO sensor instead. I s'pose it is time for me to read up on the Hero sensor - I am assuming it is Logitech's own variant of the 3389/3391.

Whatever it is Logitech will be taking some more of my $$$....

** edit - it looks like sensor is more like a Mercury variant than a Pixart variant, which would make sense.

Last edited:
I still miss my MX518 as well, had for many many years (original not the wonky new one that had I think was 3 or 4 skates ? ) what I recall I did not like about it however were those skates did not last all that long even when using on a low friction surface :( .... I got a G500S currently, is "close" handfeel etc to what the 518 was, just a bit quicker and with adjustable weights etc.

My MX518 is probably fixable. Mouse pointer just drifts to the left a bit. Yeah, everything has it's way of working out, the ebb and flow of time. Eventually I'll dig into it and fix it.

Eddies in the space-time continuum.

There is nothing on this site, or any sites, worthy of getting your blood pressure to rise.

Relax. Breath in deep. Hold it. Exhale.

Take care of your family and friends.

Take care of yourself.

I still miss it sounds like a big snowflake who used to play World of Warcraft with It. G9X needs to make a comeback..... I read on the Overclock forums this is a good mouse but the shell has changed it's glossy and the mouse clicks are more rigid but I would have to try one to see if that was the case.
The problem with Logitech Mice now they take chances on shapes I mean the Logitech Proteus sold like crazy but the shape and side buttons suck that is why I use a Razer Deathadder I couldn't stand using a Proetus for the side buttons alone. I think Logitech pays attention to the reviews on Amazon and not what the Overclock.net people say who are basically the experts on mice.

Last edited:
I still miss it sounds like a big snowflake who used to play World of Warcraft with It. G9X needs to make a comeback..... I read on the Overclock forums this is a good mouse but the shell has changed it's glossy and the mouse clicks are more rigid but I would have to try one to see if that was the case.
The problem with Logitech Mice now they take chances on shapes I mean the Logitech Proteus sold like crazy but the shape and side buttons suck that is why I use a Razer Deathadder I couldn't stand using a Proetus for the side buttons alone. I think Logitech pays attention to the reviews on Amazon and not what the Overclock.net people say who are basically the experts on mice.

Shell is also glossy on the original MX518, I still use mine as I haven't been able to find a better shape out there :p About glossy I'm two-sided, I like the feel as it feels more smooth to your hand but kinda dislike that it gets easily more sweaty at the same time.

The good about MX518 Legendary:

- HERO sensor (obviously)
- Lighter than before at 100g compared to 106~108g depending on version of MX518/G400/G400s. Gaming mice these days strive to be lighter, around 90~95g is kinda the "norm" average kind of weight FPS pros want so in that sense the slight weight reduction is a welcomed change
- Appearently has some of the thinnest and most flexible rubber cables out there now while the original had some of the thickest and unflexible cable out there and it has ofc a strain relief added which the original MX518 lacked (hence the common cable lost connectivity issue)

Last edited:
Awe yeah! Just got this in my news feed and was about to post.

Looks like I'll be getting this. Still have my original but it exhibits double clicking issues. Thank god there is not fucking RGB on it. Will kind of miss the bowling ball texture though :p

Love my mx518 been using mine for a decade
I had an MX510 I used until 2013, and I only replaced it because the mouse wheel literally fell off. Best mouse design ever, in my opinion. Already have this new one preordered.

I'm weirded out by this move back to 2 thumb buttons. Everything either has like 40 thumb buttons or two.

I'm weirded out by this move back to 2 thumb buttons. Everything either has like 40 thumb buttons or two.
I've used several mice over the past decade and have found 2 to be the perfect number. With 4 I'd find my thumb constantly hitting the adjacent buttons all the time, and any more than that is just ridiculous in my opinion. Some of those mice marketed for MMOs with their 20 macro buttons just look confusing. Is anyone really going to develop the muscle memory to know which button to hit at a critical time and where it is? I find keyboard macros in those instances to be much more useful, which is why I have a K95.

I've used several mice over the past decade and have found 2 to be the perfect number. With 4 I'd find my thumb constantly hitting the adjacent buttons all the time, and any more than that is just ridiculous in my opinion. Some of those mice marketed for MMOs with their 20 macro buttons just look confusing. Is anyone really going to develop the muscle memory to know which button to hit at a critical time and where it is? I find keyboard macros in those instances to be much more useful, which is why I have a K95.

I like using my right hand for as many functions as possible. Could be because I prefer pads and all of the buttons are on the right. I think 3-4 thumb buttons is ideal for me, but fewer and fewer mice are offering that option. I wouldn't mind a mouse with a ring finger button, too. Back in the dark ages of the 90's I had a 3-button mouse with a wheel, too. I never saw another one.

Just ordered one from Amazon. I had the original back in the day, but pitched it when it started to act up.

Back