Logitech G5 and Copperhead Razer

Curve said:
Just got my G7 this morning. After reading several user reviews and having first hand experience with Razer I decided to purchase the G7 over the copperhead.

My first thought when I gripped the mouse was it felt almost identical to my mx510. The most noticable difference to me was how the left side button clicked. It feels a little stiffer than the 510. Since I only used the one button on the 510 It doesn't bother me that they removed the other one. The mouse feels pretty light too, which is good for me. The mouse, as mentioned above, looks nothing like the pics on the web. The green is really dark. The best thing about this mouse is it does NOT lag at all.

The dpi button is pretty cool too. Just a press of a button once I leave a game and i'm ready to go surfing. :) Also, I really haven't tried the tilt scroll wheel yet, but If I can use it as a button in a game that's cool.

Ok, now time for the cons:

As someone mentioned the software cd is screwy. My instal crashed towards the end of the install, but I did finaly get it installed.

I'm tempted to say price, but I really think it was worth the 80.00 I spent on it. Not having to deal with a corded mouse and not have any lag is awesome.

I'd like to pit my G5 against the G7 and see how the two compare.

I haven't flashed it yet but there is a new beta 6.16G firmware for the copperhead which supposedly fixes all the issues now, the neg acc., the 1,000hz, and the button mappings.

I'll let you know how it works if a few hours

Well, I was thinking about getting a Copperhead and testing against my G5. However I haven't found a Copperhead locally. I won't buy a mouse that I've never seen in person or touched before. I only did that with the G5 because I knew I'd like the shape, since it is the same as the MX series mice. (MX1000 and 610 not withstanding.)

I went to best buy and held the mice before buying. I was originally going to get the copperhead before i held it. Ive been a logitech guy for as long as i can remember. The shape just feels so right compared to the razor.

scottemad123 said:
I went to best buy and held the mice before buying. I was originally going to get the copperhead before i held it. Ive been a logitech guy for as long as i can remember. The shape just feels so right compared to the razor.

I love my G5 mouse. It's just about perfect. I also like how they all have different paint jobs. Kind of nifty. I just noticed that while I was looking for a Copperhead and a G-15 keyboard.

I am skeptical and don't think that the G-15 would ever replace my mechanical keyboard, but I'll give it a try in the store to see if I like it or not. I am always on the lookout for better periphrials.

i tired to use the logitech but for me it was a no go.

The copperhead is the right size for my small hands :)

i like all the configurable buttons. During FPS it helps especially ladder matches. :)

Well today Razer, released an new official driver, and firmware. The firmware seems to be the beta 6.16g version. So all is good in Razer land.

I got my g7 the other day and so far it is bad ass. I do miss the auto scroll buttons from the mx700 I had but I am using the tilt wheel for that now instead. Also the scroll wheel seems harder to push down.

titanium said:
Cons:
$80 US would be totaly worth it if not for the following
Firmware updates (shouldn't it just work off the bat?)
MOUSE OVERFLOW/ DELAY/ HORSESHIT
Horrible (in its current state) for lower sensitivity gamers.

I have the exactly fucking problem with my copperhead, i'm a hardcore super low sens UT2004 player and when i try to make quick movements the mouse jumps off in a random direction sporadically, it's pissing me off to the extremes, I'm thinking about just returning the thing and going back to an MX-510...the mouse that just worked..

0V3RC10CK3D said:
I have the exactly fucking problem with my copperhead, i'm a hardcore super low sens UT2004 player and when i try to make quick movements the mouse jumps off in a random direction sporadically, it's pissing me off to the extremes, I'm thinking about just returning the thing and going back to an MX-510...the mouse that just worked..

The G5 just works too. If you liked the MX-510 you'd like the G5 I am sure.

dee-vee said:
I got my g7 the other day and so far it is bad ass. I do miss the auto scroll buttons from the mx700 I had but I am using the tilt wheel for that now instead. Also the scroll wheel seems harder to push down.

The reason that the button is harder to push is because it sticks up higher than it did on the previous versions of the mouse. I've got a MX510 sitting right next to my G5 as it is attached to another PC. The button on the G6 sits higher. Plus it tilts to either side. That doesn't make it any easier to push.

Just as an update to my G5/G7/MX1000/Copperhead testing, I've returned all but the Copperhead.

When I posted previously that it had bad accuracy, it was due to the fact that I hadn't properly applied the firmware update (Razer's firmware process is atrocious, but it works) and after doing so, the mouse is great.

Ultimately, the Copperhead just feels the best, I love the positioning of the side buttons, and it feels more comfortable than the other contenders. Also, I won't lie, the fact that it looks awesome in dark settings helped to sway my decision.

titanium said:
Cons:
$80 US would be totaly worth it if not for the following
Firmware updates (shouldn't it just work off the bat?)
MOUSE OVERFLOW/ DELAY/ HORSESHIT
Horrible (in its current state) for lower sensitivity gamers.

IDK about you, but running a low sensitivity = dead in most online FPS games.

maybe he plays rts's and cant click his units accurately? i dunno. but i dont see why ppl complain about there being firmware updates. its making the product better; you dont have to use them if you dont want to. and it takes all of what, 5 minutes to do?

Soymilk said:
maybe he plays rts's and cant click his units accurately? i dunno. but i dont see why ppl complain about there being firmware updates. its making the product better; you dont have to use them if you dont want to. and it takes all of what, 5 minutes to do?
I think it's just the fact that it doesnt arrive perfect from the factory, i.e. even the simple mouse is going the way of everything else these days. Too much goddamn fiddling!

Zorn said:
Just as an update to my G5/G7/MX1000/Copperhead testing, I've returned all but the Copperhead.

When I posted previously that it had bad accuracy, it was due to the fact that I hadn't properly applied the firmware update (Razer's firmware process is atrocious, but it works) and after doing so, the mouse is great.

Ultimately, the Copperhead just feels the best, I love the positioning of the side buttons, and it feels more comfortable than the other contenders. Also, I won't lie, the fact that it looks awesome in dark settings helped to sway my decision.

I just got my Copperhead in the mail. I was kind of hesitant about ordering it as I absolutely loved my MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0a... but after getting it installed and the drivers and firmware updated. There's no going back now. I LOVE this new mouse.

The only thing I wish is that the side buttons were a little softer to push. Seem a little firm, but I'm sure they'll break in after some usage. Overall I'm very happy with my new mouse.

I tried the Copperhead. I gave it a week. I just could not get used to its small size. I have big hands, and I think the logitech/microsoft mice fit me better. Also the Razor buttons for the thumb were really stiff. They were almost difficult to press. I like some tactile feel, but that was too much. I did like the texture of the mouse though. I actually prefer it to the G7.

I have a G7, but I prefer my MX518 because I wanted the 2 buttons on the side. Now if Razor can make a bigger mouse, then I would give them another try. Maybe I will try the Microsoft 6000 next. Though the reviews don't look promising, I might give it a whirl.

The only issue I had was with my particular Copperhead's side rail wearing out from my thumb's roughness (it's a flaw of just this one I had). I got an RMA from Razer and my new Copperhead will be here tomorrow.

It's a joy to use this mouse. No more hand/wrist pain for 3 weeks. It feels great.

The_Terminator said:

That was a nice mouse :/. I miss it too. Out of curiousity, what was the original optical mouse that MS came out with? It was a cream colored mouse, 2 buttons and a wheel, and it was kind of like a clear plastic over the top of it. Can't really remember. It was so long ago. I had llike 5 of them.

On subject, I just bought the G5 tonight. I've never used Razer's mice and I'm not saying they're bad mice, I just prefer Logitech. I hear more people say they like the G5 better.

threedd97 said:
That was a nice mouse :/. I miss it too. Out of curiousity, what was the original optical mouse that MS came out with? It was a cream colored mouse, 2 buttons and a wheel, and it was kind of like a clear plastic over the top of it. Can't really remember. It was so long ago. I had llike 5 of them.

On subject, I just bought the G5 tonight. I've never used Razer's mice and I'm not saying they're bad mice, I just prefer Logitech. I hear more people say they like the G5 better.

I know the one you speak of. I still have one or two of them. It was the Intellimouse Optical v1.0/1.1 and 1.1A. I preffered them over the Intellimouse Explorer because the Explorer was too large even for my hands, and the cords kept pulling out of them on all my friends mice that had them.

I haven't seen the Copperhead yet, but the G5 is badass.

My replacement Copperhead will be here today.

I own so badass in UT2004 with the CH; just can't do it with my MX518. Must be a combo of the weight and shape, I guess.

I've had the past 3 Logi corded gaming mice: the MX500, 510 and 518. Each was an improvement over the previous. This past weekend I went out and picked up the G5 at Best Buy (no Copperheads were available at the SF store) mainly because of the weight cartidge option; I find that I tend to press down on the 5XXs to generate some kind of resistance as its so light. I also did this with the 510 and eneded up pushing the feet off of the bottom of the mouse.

I got the mouse home and fiddled with the weights settling on 4 lights surrounding 1 heavy and leaving the bottom 3 holes of the cartidge empty. This places the weght as close to the center of the mouse as possible and generated a really nice evenly weighted feel.

My initial impressions after in-game use are all positive. The mouse itself feels slightly larger than the 518 and I found it was far more comfortable. The textured grip surfaces are also a huge improvement over the previously smooth rubberized plastic. The accuracy in-game was astounding and the sensitivity adjustments (I dialled in all 5 slots in the driver software starting at 2000dpi spaced down to 800) were spot on. I found I was more confortable running at a higher sensitivity than any mouse I'd ever used before, but this I believe is at least partly due to the fact that I am no longer pressing down on the mouse. The larger glide feet also contributed to a better overall feel.

As I got further into gaming I did find a problem: I am annoyed that Logi did not make the side button "MOUSE 3" for the purposes of in game binding. I am primarily an FPS guy and in the past Ive used the back button for the pistol and the forward for the knife. While the back button is larger in this mouse I was worried about the lack of a forward button. I've assigned keystrokes to the scroll wheel tilt and the back button and ultimately am finding it to be a superior solution as I no longer have to stretch my thumb to the forward button to draw a knife; rather I flick the scroll wheel to the left. It feels far more natural and with the right tilt function the gamer has actually acquired an additional button over the previous Logi mice. Very nice touch.

I must say that the G5 is the best mouse I have ever used. The laser mouse "feels" more accurate to me than its 5XX siblings which is high praise in my book. Whatever you may think of that kind of subjective analysis the bottom line for me is I feel more confident than ever in-game about making my shot. That alone makes the purchase worthwhile and I would recommend the G5 to anyone interested in trying a new mouse.

EDIT- One other quick note about the G5 is the attention to detail Logitech brought to bear on the mouse's physical presentation: The textured grip, the rougher button surfaces, the braided cloth cord, and the weight case are all testament to the amount of thought that went into this design.

On the flipside all the positive reviews of the Copperhead have me intrigued. I'm thinking I may try it out as well.

I haven't used it but I touched a Copperhead on display at Best Buy. I didn't like the grip. Too much like the Diamondback and the mouse felt kind of cheap to me.

l337zax said:
I just got my Copperhead in the mail. I was kind of hesitant about ordering it as I absolutely loved my MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0a... but after getting it installed and the drivers and firmware updated. There's no going back now. I LOVE this new mouse.

The only thing I wish is that the side buttons were a little softer to push. Seem a little firm, but I'm sure they'll break in after some usage. Overall I'm very happy with my new mouse.

Agreed, those side buttons could be a little easier to push.

Zorn said:
Agreed, those side buttons could be a little easier to push.

On my "First Edition" Copperhead, the side buttons were a bit stiff. I just got a "regular" Copperhead, and the side buttons are much, much easier to activate.

ajm786 said:
My replacement Copperhead will be here today.

I own so badass in UT2004 with the CH; just can't do it with my MX518. Must be a combo of the weight and shape, I guess.

I can own in FPS's and it makes little difference what mouse I use. The main thing I've noticed with mouse upgrades is added comfort. There are no performance holy grails in mice, that will suddenly make you better at games.

ajm786 said:
On my "First Edition" Copperhead, the side buttons were a bit stiff. I just got a "regular" Copperhead, and the side buttons are much, much easier to activate.

How can you tell which edition your Copperhead is?

Zorn said:
How can you tell which edition your Copperhead is?

Quite easily. On "First Edition" Copperheads, it's printed right on the mouse in Star Trek looking font "First Edition", where your palm goes. If it's not, then it's obviously not there.

I agree that there is no holy grail in mice when it comes to making your performance better, but Sir-Fragalot said it best himself: it's the added comfort. After 3 years of MX series design, I've never felt more comfortable.

Back