Live Coverage of the Apple Event

I agree, thats why I would rather have an Archos 9 over an Ipad. Windows 7 can run on Atom, but a dedicated OS built for tablets would be much better suited then a desktop OS that has some tablet function built in.

You'd be surprised how well Windows 7 handles tablets... pleasantly :).

There's actually never been a single instance in which I've been using my iPhone and thought "wow, it sure would be great if I could have two of these apps open at the same time". The display's just too small to be able to do more than one thing at a time anyway, and all the core processes of the iPhone (app installs and updates, for instance) work in the background unimpeded by an open application.

Then you apparently don't do much with your iPhone. The lack of multitasking on my old iPhone 3G drove me absolutely insane. It's one reason (other then AT&T sucking hard) that my iPhone 3G got turned into an iPod touch and replaced by Droid and a REAL smartphone.

Honestly I have multiple apps running on my Droid all the time. I could not stand being limited to a single app at a time. Of course, Android also has widgets and a notification tray, allowing me to interact with background apps without going to the launcher and running them.

For example, right now I have Meebo (for AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and Facebook chat), Google Talk, Facebook App (new FB message notifications), Twitdroid (new twitter notifications), Last.FM (both for posting songs I listen to using the Android music player and for radio), and the Weather Channel app all running, and I'm not really even using it at the moment. And battery life is just fine with all that running, I can easily get 2 days of use out of it. None of those apps really even dent the battery life, as screen, phone idle, and cell are still the main power draws by far (Android has a battery usage display that tells you how much battery usage various apps have used since you last charged)

Its also quite nice to switch to a different app and then switch back and have the old app continue right from where it left off. Does the iPhone do that for all apps, or is it something developers have to get right?

But I could see getting by with just one app at a time for something like the iPhone or iPod - the screen is very small (I'd still hate it, but I could live with it). But we are talking about a 10 inch screen with a resolution of 1024x768. That isn't small, that is solidly in netbook territory. I sure as hell multitask on my 13.3 notebook, and there is no way in hell I'd put up with a single app on a device that big.

Absofuckinglutely.

Love my Droid for that reason. Listen to a podcast or stream music while checking e-mail, chatting on meebo, while running Twidroid to keep up with tech news and the NFL, and still surfing the [H] on the side. Can't do any of that with iPhone.

I laughed my ass off when Jobs made his dumbass comment about netbooks. My father constantly complained about his laptop being too big for trips and shit. I bought him a netbook for his birthday last year. He absolutely loves it. It allows him to do what he wants on trips and still have something small that doesn't need anything extra to function.

Try doing that with iPad. In order to be able to type without getting carpal tunnel you need to buy all the additional docks and other worthless bullshit or sit in some awkward position. SD card? USB? Oh wait...need the iCables as well so cost keeps going up. Father's netbook? Oh wait...SD cards and USB plugs right in nothing extra needed and was less then half the cost of the iPhail without spending the extra money on iCables.

So go ahead and spend money on iPad. I'll just be laughing while I actually get work done on a real laptop or a netbook and still have money left over to upgrade my desktop.

Then you apparently don't do much with your iPhone. The lack of multitasking on my old iPhone 3G drove me absolutely insane. It's one reason (other then AT&T sucking hard) that my iPhone 3G got turned into an iPod touch and replaced by Droid and a REAL smartphone.

Absofuckinglutely.

Love my Droid for that reason. Listen to a podcast or stream music while checking e-mail, chatting on meebo, while running Twidroid to keep up with tech news and the NFL, and still surfing the [H] on the side. Can't do any of that with iPhone.

I laughed my ass off when Jobs made his dumbass comment about netbooks. My father constantly complained about his laptop being too big for trips and shit. I bought him a netbook for his birthday last year. He absolutely loves it. It allows him to do what he wants on trips and still have something small that doesn't need anything extra to function.

Try doing that with iPad. In order to be able to type without getting carpal tunnel you need to buy all the additional docks and other worthless bullshit or sit in some awkward position. SD card? USB? Oh wait...need the iCables as well so cost keeps going up. Father's netbook? Oh wait...SD cards and USB plugs right in nothing extra needed and was less then half the cost of the iPhail without spending the extra money on iCables.

So go ahead and spend money on iPad. I'll just be laughing while I actually get work done on a real laptop or a netbook and still have money left over to upgrade my desktop.

Oh so true in every way shape and form. :D

[RIP]Zeus;1035244928 said:
The Ipad, i wonder if it's firewall is as good as a women's :D

One human cell contains 75MB genetic information.

One sperm contains a half of that; that is 37.5MB.

One ml of semen contains 100 million sperms.

In average, ejaculation lasts for 5 sec and contains 2.25 ml semen.

This means that the throughput of a man's member is equal to (37.5MB x 100,000,000 x 2.25)/5 = 1 687 500 000 000 000 byte/second = 1,6875 Тerabyte/sec

This means that the female eggcell withstands this DDoS attack at 1,5 terabyte per second, and only lets through one(!) data package, thereby being the best freaking hardware firewall in the world!

The downside of it is that this only small data package that it lets through, hangs the system for the whole of 9 months!
How long have you been wanting to say this but not been able to fit it in? :D:D:D I'm not sure how it applies. :p:p

Very funny, though

]

Absofuckinglutely.

Yup, even my much-maligned Windows Mobile phone (Touch Pro 2) can do that sort of thing multitasking, but the iClone is supposedly so amazing yet it can't :p. As far as net/mini-notebooks, they're great: I can throw one into a bag with some papers and just go since it's small enough, don't need to bother with the charger or any cables, it's light enough that it's not annoying to carry in the slightest (3 lbs), and runs EVERYTHING like a desktop practically but for the GFX (because I "cheaped out" and didn't go for the one with switchable nVidia graphics).

Power, you can send SMS via Gmail or Google Voice. Both free.

Thats great, but you can multitask it can you on the ipad? no, no you can't.

My touch pro 2 can play music, read email, surf the web, send SMS, and MMS all at once.

How long have you been wanting to say this but not been able to fit it in? :D:D:D I'm not sure how it applies. :p:p

Very funny, though

It's been bugging me all day to get it out to a few hundred people. My brother sent it to me today before the ipad was released. :D

Ugh, I can't believe they didn't include a pen. The device itself doesn't really interest me, but the software interface seems cool. I certainly wouldn't spend more than $250 on one.

Ugh, I can't believe they didn't include a pen. The device itself doesn't really interest me, but the software interface seems cool. I certainly wouldn't spend more than $250 on one.

No pen, and it's a pure slate format instead of being one where the screen swivels down, so it's kinda weak for note-taking either typing or using a pen on the touchscreen.

Try doing that with iPad.

lol that's absolutely the point of the device.

In order to be able to type without getting carpal tunnel you need to buy all the additional docks and other worthless bullshit or sit in some awkward position.

lol, have you actually typed on a netbook? My mini9 is brutal.

lol that's absolutely the point of the device.

lol, have you actually typed on a netbook? My mini9 is brutal.

Yes but this "Device" is woefully underpowered for those tasks.

Yes, my netbook has 97% sized keys with high travel ratings for the keys... works a treat ;). Maybe you should have gone for the mini 10 or an acer netbook which have 92% sized keys that are pleasant to type on... :D.

I have an old AT&T Tilt with Wimo 6.5, and even that has multi-tasking! Its really really sad to think that multi-tasking has been around since Windows 3.1 or earlier (mostly Multi-switching till the NT kernel was put into 2K) and Apple still cant get it working.

I still havent seen 1 Apple fanboy tell me why this thing is better then a Tablet PC. For 500$, what will this thing do for me that its competitors wont?

That right there, is going too be Apple's biggest problem in selling this thing. Unlike that Iphone, there are tons of competitors for this thing. Jobs cant force feed everyone a shiny aluminum turd this time around.

im gonna be honest, if i had a daughter aged about middle/high school, this would be perfect for her. She can do whateva casual computing around the house, and we all know what casual means as far as teenagers. It would be well worth the money, it is pretty much a oversized iphone, but you just dont have to browse the web on a tiny phone screen while around the house.

im gonna be honest, if i had a daughter aged about middle/high school, this would be perfect for her. She can do whateva casual computing around the house, and we all know what casual means as far as teenagers. It would be well worth the money, it is pretty much a oversized iphone, but you just dont have to browse the web on a tiny phone screen while around the house.

Yeah, except there are far better products for the money than the iCloneJumbo(tm).

[RIP]Zeus;1035246324 said:
For me having Multi task is a MUST.
Okay. I'm not you.

For example, right now I have Meebo (for AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and Facebook chat), Google Talk, Facebook App (new FB message notifications), Twitdroid (new twitter notifications), Last.FM (both for posting songs I listen to using the Android music player and for radio), and the Weather Channel app all running, and I'm not really even using it at the moment.
How many do you use at one time, however? Yeah, you have all of these apps open. They're doing whatever it is they do in the background. But you're not physically interacting with all of them simultaneously. What you benefit from is being able to flip between them rapidly, which is a function the iPhone (and iPad) lacks, but that's really not that big a deal on the iPhone in my opinion. You do one thing; you finish it; you do something else. Push notifications let you know what's going on with different things and you switch between apps as desired, and that happens pretty quickly. Ordinarily, when I pull out my phone, it's to do something specific: check Facebook, send a text, listen to music and so on and so forth, so it never really plays the role of a full computer.

Would I like multitasking support? Sure, yeah. Has my phone experience been negatively affected by its omission? I honestly can't say that it has. I guess I'm just not a "power user" when it comes to my phone given that I spend quite a bit of my time in front a PC anyway (and I don't have time to fuck around with my phone much when I'm not), and would rather just do all the heavy lifting on that as opposed to doing it on the phone.

Its also quite nice to switch to a different app and then switch back and have the old app continue right from where it left off. Does the iPhone do that for all apps, or is it something developers have to get right?
That's up to the app author. Most of the apps I use recall where you were when you return to the home screen though, yes, although games are (usually) the exception, and I don't really know if that's the "norm" or not.

Then you apparently don't do much with your iPhone
Not even sure what that's supposed to mean. I guess?

[RIP]Zeus;1035246475 said:
My touch pro 2 can play music, read email, surf the web, send SMS, and MMS all at once.
I can't imagine trying to figure out how to do all of those things simultaneously. I only have two hands, ten fingers and a brain capable of focusing and taking the steps necessary to execute on only a single task at any given time (while perhaps merely pondering about other tasks).

mini10 wasn't out yet at that point :( I would have

but I don't know why you guys are hating on this thing so much. I wasn't impressed either, but it's not a bad value for your money if you're in the market for a kindle or a basic netbook type of device. It is pretty neutered out of the box, but it has a ton of potential.

Look at the ipod/iphone homebrew community and developers. It's amazing what they've turned them into from the basic POS they ship as... I have no doubt that this will get the same kind of love

If I had a kid, I wouldent be handing her a $500 tablet to do what a $300 Acer could do. They are kids. They break shit. Only thing a parent can do is minimize the expense when it happens. Plus, do you REALLY want your kid walking around with a $500+ peace of hardware? How many kids get shot/beat up over there $100 Ipods today?

Microsoft tablets will continue to fail horribly until they stop putting full desktop versions of Windows on it. That operating system is designed for a mouse and keyboard setup with full size display and CPUs that are orders of magnitude faster than platforms like the Atom or ION.
Except that Windows 7 has considerably better tablet/touch screen support built into the OS. I fully agree that Vista and XP were atrocious when being used on a tablet PC, but from everything I've heard regarding Windows 7 on tablets, it's in a much better state.

I think the iPad is interesting, but there are just too many drawbacks to what they showed to keep me from wanting one. At least right now. Maybe in a year or two.

Anand put it perfectly in his thoughts.
From what I've seen, they took the iPhone OS, modified the binaries to work on whatever their implementation of ARM is (the Apple "A4 Silicon), and modified it for a larger resolution. It's in no way, shape or form a new OS designed specifically for the iPad.

This item does that, plus all of the iPhone apps, plus everything your typical "netbook" will do, plus playing movies on a non-tiny screen.

Hardly, unless you really don't do a whole lot w/your netbook... I off-load pictures from my digital camera to it; I can download, edit, encode, and upload video with it, etc etc. You can do mostly anything on a netbook that you can do on a desktop, just slower. On an iPad you're at the mercy of app developers and Apple, at best, certain things you just can't get around of. Can't expand storage, can't transfer anything to and from the device other than via WiFi/3G and USB (thru iTunes, since we all know it's not gonna be a mass storage device), can't browse thru any Flash content online, so on and so forth.

I think it's a total joke that they're laughing at how limited netbooks are in the presentation when this device is several times more limited than a netbook is... The only advantage it really has is a nicer screen than your typical netbook.

Edit - I should have added that modifying the iPhone OS to run on the iPad isn't a bad thing. They took a fairly responsive OS and customized it for use with a device that is more powerful across the board, hence many of the reasons behind the greater responsiveness people have seen so far with the iPad.

This seems like something you would carry around your house, drink some coffee while browsing, read on the toilet. Whatever.

Are you willing to pay $500 for that tho? I suppose it's reasonable for people who don't already own or need a laptop/netbook... And they aren't simply willing to settle for the phone they probably do have anyway. I guess that could be a sizable market, truth be told. But for anyone seeking true mobility it's way too much of a closed device. The name fits completely, it's literally an iPod on steroids, not a tablet, not a full-fledged portable computer.

Who wants to pay for a data plan on this on top of their phone plan (unless they enable BT tethering, doubt it, we'll see what happens w/jailbreaks), who wants to hold this thing up the entire time thru a flight to watch a movie when you can just buy a $300 netbook and accomplish the same thing? I'm sure the IPS screen is superb, but a netbook or CULV laptop does so much more for less $... (or the same price at worst)

Lack of Flash, lack of storage expansion, lack of true multitasking, and not enough to compensate for all that in most cases imo.

It's not like you can take notes reasonably fast with this, so it's not a viable option for students, and professionals are obviously not the target market either... So who exactly are they pitching it at? Wealthy folks that don't mind purchasing an additional device to leave around the house and/or a younger crowd that doesn't need a true portable system? Are parents gonna pony up $30 a month fora web-enabled device that doesn't make calls?

Frankly I think this is a bigger risk than the iPhone was, huge flop potential, and I seriously doubt it's gonna become the device to beat a-la-iPod or iPhone. Now, if you could roll or fold this device, it'd truly be revolutionary. :D There's definitely gonna be a ton of innovation and new approaches in this category.

This thing kind of seems like a joke doesn't it. I mean literally a joke that Apple is pulling on everyone before they release the real tablet. Or are they really serious??? All this hype was for a big ipod touch?

Hardly, unless you really don't do a whole lot w/your netbook... I off-load pictures from my digital camera to it; I can download, edit, encode, and upload video with it, etc etc. You can do mostly anything on a netbook that you can do on a desktop, just slower. On an iPad you're at the mercy of app developers and Apple, at best, certain things you just can't get around of. Can't expand storage, can't transfer anything to and from the device other than via WiFi/3G and USB (thru iTunes, since we all know it's not gonna be a mass storage device), can't browse thru any Flash content online, so on and so forth.

I think it's a total joke that they're laughing at how limited netbooks are in the presentation when this device is several times more limited than a netbook is... The only advantage it really has is a nicer screen than your typical netbook.
The thing that bothers me is that some people keep making out as if netbooks are at this huge disadvantage vs. the iPad, especially regarding the screen. The thing is, the iPad has a 9.7" screen if I recall, at a resolution of 1024x768. Netbooks have been at that resolution for awhile, and most these days are 10.1" - 11". Now granted, the iPad does have a much higher quality screen.

I take my netbook around to meetings here at work, and for what we're generally doing, it's more than adequate. Basic web surfing is fine. Office 2007 is responsive enough. I can even do Exchange administration on it without any problems. I don't really understand all of these "netbooks are horrible" comments.

This thing kind of seems like a joke doesn't it. I mean literally a joke that Apple is pulling on everyone before they release the real tablet. Or are they really serious??? All this hype was for a big ipod touch?
The Apple die-hards already bought into it so long ago, Apple could have released a neutered Kindle look-alike and they'd have viewed it as the best thing ever. I have and use both Macs and PCs, and I like both probably equally well, but I learned long ago not to even try to associate with the die-hards. They're an interesting breed. Worse than even the console followers.

I guess if you look at it from the perspective that it's an advanced ebook reader it makes sense. A Kindle for $300 or a kindle sized ipod touch for $500.... but even then I guess the ebook fans like them because they're black an white...

Hmmm.....this is just a weird little device.

I guess if you look at it from the perspective that it's an advanced ebook reader it makes sense. A Kindle for $300 or a kindle sized ipod touch for $500.... but even then I guess the ebook fans like them because they're black an white...

Besides multitasking and flash support, I honestly just wish that it had more memory. 16 GB is woefully inadequate.

A Kindle for $300 or a kindle sized ipod touch for $500.... but even then I guess the ebook fans like them because they're black an white.
E Ink's a better way to go for book reading, yeah. Staring at backlit screens is not exactly the ideal way to spend one's time. I'm still a 'real book' kind of guy myself.

The thing that bothers me is that some people keep making out as if netbooks are at this huge disadvantage vs. the iPad, especially regarding the screen. The thing is, the iPad has a 9.7" screen if I recall, at a resolution of 1024x768. Netbooks have been at that resolution for awhile, and most these days are 10.1" - 11". Now granted, the iPad does have a much higher quality screen.

I take my netbook around to meetings here at work, and for what we're generally doing, it's more than adequate. Basic web surfing is fine. Office 2007 is responsive enough. I can even do Exchange administration on it without any problems. I don't really understand all of these "netbooks are horrible" comments.

If you notice, the 'netbooks are horrible' comments are being made by this boards apple fanatics...

I totally agree. I sat back and looked at it as an apple kindle, and it makes total sense. If you look at it as a tablet, then its a total fail. Its pretty much a fully loaded kindle instead of a gimped tablet.

If you notice, the 'netbooks are horrible' comments are being made by this boards apple fanatics...

Because the low cost market is of no interest to Apple.

I've a netbook myself and while its not horibble I much prefer my tx2z Tablet PC.

E Ink's a better way to go for book reading, yeah. Staring at backlit screens is not exactly the ideal way to spend one's time. I'm still a 'real book' kind of guy myself.

I read a lot in low ambient lighting environments and I find of like backlighting.

The problem with real books is the bulk and Kindle and other eBook delivery systems are the way for me.

Books on my phone, tablets and desktops.

Besides multitasking and flash support, I honestly just wish that it had more memory. 16 GB is woefully inadequate.

Well it's a big ipod, and most people don't have 16 GB of music so they must have though it was enough. But wouldn't people want to watch HD movies on this? That takes a lot of space though.... so I circle back to my this thing is just weird comment. The iPad is shaping up to be the Tom Bombadil of technology. It prances around and looks really neat, but no one can pinpoint exactly what it is or what it's purpose is for.

Well it's a big ipod, and most people don't have 16 GB of music so they must have though it was enough. But wouldn't people want to watch HD movies on this? That takes a lot of space though.... so I circle back to my this thing is just weird comment. The iPad is shaping up to be the Tom Bombadil of technology. It prances around and looks really neat, but no one can pinpoint exactly what it is or what it's purpose is for.

Can't watch native 720p on a 1024x768 screen.

Well, I'm fairly certain it's intended to be first and foremost a light internet usage device that can also allow you to easily check your mail, create calendar events and watch/listen to media.

Honestly, what do most internet "users" do these days? They check web sites for news, gossip, sports, whatever. They log into their Facebook or, more rarely, Myspace accounts. Download some musics or video. Fairly simple, basic tasks that does not at all require anything beyond what the iPad is capable of.

Power users are a relatively small percentage of the marketplace overall, so it's not a big deal if it doesn't cater to them. But then, to be completely honest, Apple products have rarely catered to the power user crowd (and, for those power users that do, you often see them running Windows or Linux on the side. I can't begin to list the number of Mac power users I know, myself included, who run Windows via Fusion or Parallels in order to do everything that's needed to do enterprise-wise).

Well, I'm fairly certain it's intended to be first and foremost a light internet usage device that can also allow you to easily check your mail, create calendar events and watch/listen to media.

Honestly, what do most internet "users" do these days? They check web sites for news, gossip, sports, whatever. They log into their Facebook or, more rarely, Myspace accounts. Download some musics or video. Fairly simple, basic tasks that does not at all require anything beyond what the iPad is capable of.

Power users are a relatively small percentage of the marketplace overall, so it's not a big deal if it doesn't cater to them. But then, to be completely honest, Apple products have rarely catered to the power user crowd (and, for those power users that do, you often see them running Windows or Linux on the side. I can't begin to list the number of Mac power users I know, myself included, who run Windows via Fusion or Parallels in order to do everything that's needed to do enterprise-wise).

That is true. It does fit that niche pretty well. It will be interesting to see where the ipad will land as a device.

Back