Liquid Nitrogen

LN2 very dangerous , u must have some experiences to use and overclock also , if u are a geek computer , let try ... good luck :)

LN isn't THAT dangerous. Sure, you should be careful with using it. On the other hand, I also used to take it home with me for fun at parties.... and occasionally have LN fights at work. Yeah.... also to those talking about getting down to 0 K, I don't know why this would even be an issue, since it's impossible to reach absolute zero. The closest you could practically get (and this quite expensive and not too practical at that) would be to have a two stage cooling system with liquid helium providing the primary cooling and the liquid helium cooled by liquid nitrogen (the way they do it for NMRs). This will get you to about 4 K.

Serge84 said:
Liquid nitrogen should not be taken lightly. Touch it, and you lose a finger. Poor it wrong and you can kiss the mobo and floor good bye. Liquid Nitrogen exposed to air and released in its liquid state will make fast work of super freezing anything and turn it into very brittle parts. Most normal matter will shatter when this stuff touches it. Its so cold it would shatter a person like a bullet to glass in only a moment.

I lol'd at this one. So not true at all. Liquid nitrogen is very cold, but it also has a very low latent heat, which means that it transfers heat slowly. It takes a significant amount of time (10-15 seconds at least) for LN to cool something to it's own temperature. You can splash some on your skin with absolutely no ill effects. And it most certainly would not ruin any floor or motherboard, pretty much no matter what.

LN isn't THAT dangerous. Sure, you should be careful with using it. On the other hand, I also used to take it home with me for fun at parties.... and occasionally have LN fights at work. Yeah.... also to those talking about getting down to 0 K, I don't know why this would even be an issue, since it's impossible to reach absolute zero. The closest you could practically get (and this quite expensive and not too practical at that) would be to have a two stage cooling system with liquid helium providing the primary cooling and the liquid helium cooled by liquid nitrogen (the way they do it for NMRs). This will get you to about 4 K.

I lol'd at this one. So not true at all. Liquid nitrogen is very cold, but it also has a very low latent heat, which means that it transfers heat slowly. It takes a significant amount of time (10-15 seconds at least) for LN to cool something to it's own temperature. You can splash some on your skin with absolutely no ill effects. And it most certainly would not ruin any floor or motherboard, pretty much no matter what.

i beg to differ. I worked in a factory when i was younger that used liquid nitrogen. You do not want it to contact your skin at all. It cause's what is almost like a burn. But oppisite because it is cold. We always had to wear insulted gloves that protect against extreme cold when handling it.

http://stores.biochem.uiowa.edu/Pages/ln2msds.htm

If it doesn't hurt your skin please verify your information.

i beg to differ. I worked in a factory when i was younger that used liquid nitrogen. You do not want it to contact your skin at all. It cause's what is almost like a burn. But oppisite because it is cold. We always had to wear insulted gloves that protect against extreme cold when handling it.

http://stores.biochem.uiowa.edu/Pages/ln2msds.htm

If it doesn't hurt your skin please verify your information.

It will cause damage if left in contact for any period of time. However, brief contact with skin will cause ZERO damage. In small doses, it will evaporate leaving nothing but a bit of uninjured, if a bit cold skin. Ask me how I know. I'm not saying you should dunk your hand in the stuff. I've worked with liquid nitrogen numerous times during my research and at several jobs. I also have a degree in chemistry. I know what I am talking about. I am not trying to say that LN is harmless, but it is MUCH less dangerous than what people on this board seem to believe.

Also, MSDS sheets are great for information, but they are always very conservative in their safety measures. I suggest you read the MSDS for water. Guess what... it recommends gloves and goggles when handling it, due to the fact that it is a mild irritant.

I played with LN in AP Physics this week. We did a superconductivity lab where we made a magnet levitate above superconductive material cooled with LN. Not sure what this has to do with anything except I feel cool now :)

So what are safetly emergency procedures, "IF" you touched Liquid Nitrogen or it ends up on your bare skin???

I have benched with LN2 numerous times. At one point I averaged 2-300L a month. If wearing gloves (I must admit I never did) I suggest they are somewhat tight fitting. If they are loose LN2 can find it's way into them and once inside with the glove holding it in place it will burn you and cause a blister. Many times I have had LN2 splash my leg. I would equate the feeling to a slight stinging. LN2 being trapt against the skin is when it will due damage. For the most part it will bead and roll off. The reason for this is your skin is warm and the LN2 so cold it would boil off almost instantly. It will boil violently when splashed into a warm cpu/gpu tube until it gets down in temperature.

So what are safetly emergency procedures, "IF" you touched Liquid Nitrogen or it ends up on your bare skin???

It depends on the extent of the exposure. I worked in an analytical laboratory last year for several months and when refilling the transmission electron microscope and carbon coater's supply tanks I'd periodically have a few drops splash at me. In very small quantities it'll evaporate before it makes contact with your skin, but in sufficient quantities it could cause severe cases of frostbite with horrible speed. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

- Work in a reasonably well-ventilated area as a just-in-case measure.
- Never use hazardous chemicals alone. Period. Besides issues of cost and engineering prowess, one of the reasons that huge liquid cooling systems are typically found in universities and private corporations is that they can afford to keep a staff of qualified people on hand in the event that an emergency does occur.
- If something happens and part of your body is exposed to liquid nitrogen, do not move after contact with the liquid unless staying still puts you in imminent further danger. Let me assure you that you do NOT want any part of your body that's been flash-frozen to crack.
- Keep a phone nearby at all times. Have your friend make the phone call and stay as calm as you can until authorities arrive.
- If possible, have your friend safely neutralize the source of the leak or spill.

I can't stress enough that anyone seriously interested in experimenting with hazardous materials should enroll in some kind of training program. HAZWOPER (HAZardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response) courses aren't difficult to find in the U.S., and reference material for them is relatively inexpensive and accessible.

Guys, my Chemistry teacher in High School brought some LN2 for a classroom demonstration. Yes you do need to take the utmost of care (my teacher wore some hefty gloves) but at the end he let us touch it. It was very brief but I didn't loose a finger. But it sure did burn like hell for a split second.

Guys, my Chemistry teacher in High School brought some LN2 for a classroom demonstration. Yes you do need to take the utmost of care (my teacher wore some hefty gloves) but at the end he let us touch it. It was very brief but I didn't loose a finger. But it sure did burn like hell for a split second.

:rolleyes: and your teacher didn't get sued?

If it takes 10-15 seconds for the stuff to take effect then I would imagine you could just wash it off before it did anything. I mean seriously :rolleyes:

uhmm...ok skip the LN bit, I want to get more Dry Ice. I used to use heaps for benchies for my high P4 oc's back in the days...but the supplier can't get anymore. Any idea where I can get some, make some? For my last oc just y'day running an old SKT 478 P4 2.53GHZ oc ed to 4.2GHZ with normal freezer ice...but the thing just left too much watery moisture on the outside of the metal tube mounted onto the motherboard that I had to take it off!

So any ideas?

How about this?

LN2 > Argon > Methane > Ethylene > R23 > R134A > Pelt > Chiller > Water > Air

The ultimate 10-stage cooling system! :p

It's part of the "ultimate system" that I want to build someday.

you know i wonder has any one tried cooling a CPU with liquid H or He?
i mean LHe is some DAMN cold stuff ~3K or so iirc (0K is absolute Zero btw)

At absolute zero, elements don't necessarily "freeze". At absolute zero, I highly doubt there will be any vapors, but you can possiby still have elements in the liquid phase.

Well, "freeze" in a non-literal sense is technically appropriate since all known substances will cease atomic-scale vibrations. In other words, at the smallest level possible, everything will stop moving. Well, in theory. Absolute zero has never actually been obtained - ever.

well
1. you cant get to ok well you can but the thing is the closer you get the longer it takes and it get to 0k it would take till the heat death of the universe
2. He was.. till about the late 90's when some people made whats called a Bose-Einstein Condensate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose-Einstein_condensate

neat stuff theres a great Nova on cold and super cold stuff
Absolute Zero its 2 parts the first is about the race for LH and LHe
the 2nd is about the race for a Condensate

forget your drama, toss a few dry ice bricks in your case and call it done.

epic win.

wow...
[in response to page 4: http://www.nerdtests.com/funtests.php]
"
7% scored higher (more nerdy),
0% scored the same, and
93% scored lower (less nerdy).

What does this mean? Your nerdiness is:

Supreme Nerd. Apply for a professorship at MIT now!!!.
"

I cant even get into UBC... don't have a 2nd language, bombed French 8, scraped through french 9, then bomb japanese 3 years in a row and left with nothing but a grade 9 language class which gets me nothing. Now im in the crappy transfer program at langara :'(

93%? really? jeez... I put other for the IE question because I use IE8, guess thats cheating, and my only biohazzard sign is the one on my 28 Weeks later poster, guess that doesnt count either. :( Also I've never seen a pic of Newton so old. Plan on going into chemical engineering btw (or engineering chemistry, whichever one is the one where you work with the chemicals rather than their production facilities) this is intresting stuff.

epic win.

wow...
"
0% scored the same, and

"

I cant even get into UBC... don't have a 2nd language, bombed French 8, scraped through french 9, then bomb japanese 3 years in a row and left with nothing but a grade 9 language class which gets me nothing. Now im in the crappy transfer program at langara :'(

93%? really? jeez... I put other for the IE question because I use IE8, guess thats cheating, and my only biohazzard sign is the one on my 28 Weeks later poster, guess that doesnt count either. :( Also I've never seen a pic of Newton so old. Plan on going into chemical engineering btw (or engineering chemistry, whichever one is the one where you work with the chemicals rather than their production facilities) this is intresting stuff.

you should check out that Nova 2 parter i talked about :D youll like it

epic win.

wow...
"
0% scored the same, and

"

We don't need to know your personal achievements or wateva! This thread is made for those to learn more about LN2 and guidelines from others who have messed around with it not your personal life!

STAY ON TOPIC!

epic win.

wow...
"
0% scored the same, and

"

This redefines off topic. wth?

edit: just incase you didnt catch it on page 4 they were talkin about the nerd test, http://www.nerdtests.com/funtests.php, thats where I got it from, wasn't totally off the wall lol.

alright alright you guys win, calm down.
2AM after a couple drinks, figured everyone wants to hear my life story :rolleyes:

Ok look I'm contributing:
Liquid nitrogen, cold stuff, fun to play with, apparently slosh enough around on some silicon and you can hit 6GHz.

Cool stuff, figurativly and literally.

OK.......lols.......

I want to turn a fridge into a phase changing cooling system.....anybody want to help me to where I should start first? :D

OK.......lols.......

I want to turn a fridge into a phase changing cooling system.....anybody want to help me to where I should start first? :D

btw i know the Walmart here sells dry ice might want to check if yours does

You serz? Walmart selling dry ice? Isn;t that not permitted for a supermarket to sell things like that since its like dangerous or something?

BTW..I don't have a walmart here.....I'm in Australia....the state where I live in doesn't have a walmart!

You serz? Walmart selling dry ice? Isn;t that not permitted for a supermarket to sell things like that since its like dangerous or something?

BTW..I don't have a walmart here.....I'm in Australia....the state where I live in doesn't have a walmart!

oh... no clue then then XD but here in the US theres a big freezer of the stuff right by the door when you go in XD you have to be 18 to buy it but its like 4USD a pound

You really sure its dry ice?

Coz my local petrol statios and liquer stores have a huge freezer that stores heaps of ice cubes in bags for freezing purposes and you have to be over 18! ?

You really sure its dry ice?

Coz my local petrol statios and liquer stores have a huge freezer that stores heaps of ice cubes in bags for freezing purposes and you have to be over 18! ?

nope it says in BIG BLACK BOLD letters DRY ICE

Back