Linux Mint Wifi Problems

Because it isn't called startup in Linux. that's a Windows thing. It is more intuitive to call it "startup" but it is what it is. You just have to learn a few differences in Linux, and you're good to go. Just fuck off Windows terms, and start new. Once you start messing with the console and have a few commands down, Linux is just so BITCHIN'! It just feels like full freedom.

I'm sure you have aome Windows commands memorized, some of them, right, e.g.,

ping 192.168.1.1 -n 50
tracert [favorite hacking target ip/url] lol
tracert /?

You know it's just the same thing, just different words. It's a little different but the exact same concept. Besides, "startup" sounds like your talking to a 3 year old about Playschool. "Cron" just sounds more cool, right? :)

But then again, I FUCKING hated when MS started calling DIRECTORIES "folders." "FUCK THAT SHIT" Dennis Hopper, "Blue Velvet"

Yeah!! FUCK INTUITIVE!

Jesus, this post reeks of elitism.

Edit: and another thing... I don't use tracert, but considering it's for TRACING A ROUTE, it makes sense, right? Not sure why you used an INTUITIVE command as an example.

Last edited:
Yeah!! FUCK INTUITIVE!

Jesus, this post reeks of elitism.

Edit: and another thing... I don't use tracert, but considering it's for TRACING A ROUTE, it makes sense, right? Not sure why you used an INTUITIVE command as an example.
Well, yeah, I mean I get your point. My point is that I went thought the same thing you did about Linux. Look, do this, it will help you:

When moving to Linux, your mantra is this: "Linux is not to question why, but to either do or die."

You can't change Linux naming. If you want to use it, you just have to increase your vocabulary, a little, and accept that Linux is a little different than Windows, and it is, in a very god way.

What I did was just write stuff down, main things, like installing using the console, console commands, etc. Just some basic go to shit.

One thing Linux is much better at than Windows (naming isn't one of them) is their shit isn't spread all over the fucking place in all corners of every crevice of the OS, half apptop, half desktop, not even available unless you use the "run" command, and yadda, yadda. I mean, I've been using Windows since Windows 3.0, and I have to DuckDuckGo how to find setting in Windows!

Linux is much cleaner than that. Another thing that MS can never do is that all Linux distros have repositories built in to the distro, so most all Linux official programs are available simply by opening your desktop repository. You don't have to web search and download them from a 3rd party website (And you definitely don't want t use the shitpipe MS 'store'). You can search for Linux programs if you want, using your browser, but there is really no reason unless it is an unofficial Linux release--like your buddy codes a macro program for a specific game you are playing.

Linux has come of age. Non computer people can still use it, but if you are looking for 'startup' possibilities, etc., you are somewhat of an elite computer user yourself. How many 'normal' computer users look for a start up function of some sort? Probably zero.

It's not elitism, bro. It's just Linux and it is what is. I know it is hard to believe, but Linux is EASIER than Windows. If you can navigate Windows Group Policy Editor, the inanely idiotic Task Scheduler, and edit/add registry files to tweak your system, then you can easily do Linux. When you start using it, make use of forums and searches, and after a while, you'll start saying to yourself: "Oh, no shit. Oh, yeah, of course." And Windows will then begin to look like the red headed step child, not Linux. Remember, Linux developers are not creating a corporate software for, mainly, corporate use, but a software OS for people to use. They are no dunces. They get it. You just have to put in a little effort in the beginning. Eventually, Linux will kill MS Windows for personal use. And, there isn't anything MS can do about it. It will just happen.

Seriously, Learning Linux takes less time than learning how to play Eve Online. Seriously. lol

Speaking of such, you can play Eve Online perfectly with Linux--!!

Join the light side!

Well, yeah, I mean I get your point. My point is that I went thought the same thing you did about Linux. Look, do this, it will help you:

When moving to Linux, your mantra is this: "Linux is not to question why, but to either do or die."

You can't change Linux naming. If you want to use it, you just have to increase your vocabulary, a little, and accept that Linux is a little different than Windows, and it is, in a very god way.

What I did was just write stuff down, main things, like installing using the console, console commands, etc. Just some basic go to shit.

One thing Linux is much better at than Windows (naming isn't one of them) is their shit isn't spread all over the fucking place in all corners of every crevice of the OS, half apptop, half desktop, not even available unless you use the "run" command, and yadda, yadda. I mean, I've been using Windows since Windows 3.0, and I have to DuckDuckGo how to find setting in Windows!

Linux is much cleaner than that. Another thing that MS can never do is that all Linux distros have repositories built in to the distro, so most all Linux official programs are available simply by opening your desktop repository. You don't have to web search and download them from a 3rd party website (And you definitely don't want t use the shitpipe MS 'store'). You can search for Linux programs if you want, using your browser, but there is really no reason unless it is an unofficial Linux release--like your buddy codes a macro program for a specific game you are playing.

Linux has come of age. Non computer people can still use it, but if you are looking for 'startup' possibilities, etc., you are somewhat of an elite computer user yourself. How many 'normal' computer users look for a start up function of some sort? Probably zero.

It's not elitism, bro. It's just Linux and it is what is. I know it is hard to believe, but Linux is EASIER than Windows. If you can navigate Windows Group Policy Editor, the inanely idiotic Task Scheduler, and edit/add registry files to tweak your system, then you can easily do Linux. When you start using it, make use of forums and searches, and after a while, you'll start saying to yourself: "Oh, no shit. Oh, yeah, of course." And Windows will then begin to look like the red headed step child, not Linux. Remember, Linux developers are not creating a corporate software for, mainly, corporate use, but a software OS for people to use. They are no dunces. They get it. You just have to put in a little effort in the beginning. Eventually, Linux will kill MS Windows for personal use. And, there isn't anything MS can do about it. It will just happen.

Seriously, Learning Linux takes less time than learning how to play Eve Online. Seriously. lol

Speaking of such, you can play Eve Online perfectly with Linux--!!

Join the light side!
I use Linux on about 10 computers. I can do all the things I want to do. I can use the terminal. I can make scripts and run them at startup.

I still don't understand why intuitive naming isn't a thing. Why name something so obscure? That's my entire point. I spent the better part of 2 weeks installing Linux on an 8" Dell windows tablet, so I very well know the intricacies. It doesn't mean I still don't wonder why they used terminology that doesn't fit the action you are hoping to accomplish.

Last edited:
I use Linux on about 10 computers. I can do all the things I want to do. I can use the terminal. I can make scripts and run them at startup.

I still don't understand why intuitive naming isn't a thing. Why name something so obscure? That's my entire point. I spent the better part of 2 weeks installing Linux on an 8" Dell windows tablet, so I very well know the intricacies. It doesn't mean I still don't wonder why they used terminology that doesn't fit the action you are hoping to accomplish.
It's not obscure if you know the etymology:

"Cron is a clock daemon, whose name originates from Chronos, the Greek word for time. It enables users to automate the execution of commands, scripts (a group of commands) or programs at specified time intervals. Cron is a daemon, a long-running process that only needs to be started once, and will run constantly in the background. Cron wakes up every minute, examines its list of things to do to see if any scheduled tasks need to be executed, and if so it executes them. If not, it goes back to sleep for another 59 seconds. The list of things to do is called a cron table, or Crontab for short." https://compbio.cornell.edu/about/resources/linux-cron-and-crontab/

But, again, to your point, MS changed "directories" to "folders." So, sure, Linux needs to update it's terminology. And my point, good luck with that.

Because Linux is based on the Unix command structure and Unix commands were designed when Teletypes were still a thing and Teletypes have really bad keyboards - Therefore the commands were deliberately kept as short as possible. People have been using the same commands for about 50 years now without problem and it's not as simple as just upping and changing everything because certain generations don't want to adapt and learn new things.

Elitism? Who's acting elite? The person who doesn't want to conform or the person that accepts 50 years of OS development?

If you don't want WiFi problems, avoid anything made by this company. They don't support Linux, they never have, and any drivers are reverse engineered Windows drivers that are most likely lucky to work at all - Due to said company:

qeT6WaN.png

Last edited:
Because Linux is based on the Unix command structure and Unix commands were designed when Teletypes were still a thing and Teletypes have really bad keyboards - Therefore the commands were deliberately kept as short as possible. People have been using the same commands for about 50 years now without problem and it's not as simple as just upping and changing everything because certain generations don't want to adapt and learn new things.

Elitism? Who's acting elite? The person who doesn't want to conform or the person that accepts 50 years of OS development?

If you don't want WiFi problems, avoid anything made by this company. They don't support Linux, they never have, and any drivers are reverse engineered Windows drivers that are most likely lucky to work at all - Due to said company:

View attachment 326926

It's funny you say that about realtek as i have used numerous usb wifi adapters with realtek chips and never had an issue. Cisco on the other hand, no bueno.

Edit: I guess I should reply to the rest of the post. Oops!

Giving a reason WHY they are used, like you did, goes a long way. However, isn't Linux able to link commands? Like, I can make a shorter command to do something specific? Like run a long command I type often but link it to something? I can't remember.

The elitism comes from the very way his post was laid out. Like it's stupid to suggest changes. I mean, the Linux community has been crying for ages that windows is going down and Linux will be the top! I think intuitive distros have really helped that. Ones that make it easier for the new end user to use the OS. This is just another suggestive step in that direction.

I can assure you that if people make suggestions and they are greeted with "just deal with it. This isn't windows!" your hopes will be for naught. Then again, I usually see linux superusers aren't really sure what the hell they want. They want windows to be number 2, or gone completely, while at the same time actively trying to prevent everything that would make that outcome possible.

Last edited:
I actually find the shorter commands easier to remember, it's the switches I struggle to remember as there's just so many of them - That's where I use a cheat sheet or the built i help functionality - I'm like a really slow Mr Robot...Really slow.

Funnily enough, I remember these commands no worries. However, there's only two switches, =T for a long directory listing with time stamps and =P for a partition listing. @$ always means 'dir'.

48GxDfb.jpg

I actually find the shorter commands easier to remember, it's the switches I struggle to remember as there's just so many of them - That's where I use a cheat sheet or the built i help functionality - I'm like a really slow Mr Robot...Really slow.

Funnily enough, I remember these commands no worries. However, there's only two switches, =T for a long directory listing with time stamps and =P for a partition listing. @$ always means 'dir'.

View attachment 327050
I'm all for shorter commands. I guess I can use alias in Linux? I haven't had a chance to take a peek at it yet, but a quick google seems I might be able to make my own aliases to long terminal commands.

I'm all for shorter commands. I guess I can use alias in Linux? I haven't had a chance to take a peek at it yet, but a quick google seems I might be able to make my own aliases to long terminal commands.
Yeah, that'll work. Just gotta set it to load your aliases in your local config. Can also add flags to aliased commands, so you don't have do it yourself if you always use certain flags.

Yeah, that'll work. Just gotta set it to load your aliases in your local config. Can also add flags to aliased commands, so you don't have do it yourself if you always use certain flags.
After thinking about it for 8 seconds, it's not really for me lol. I already know how to do what I want.. this is a solution for new users, but... If you want to make aliases of commands they don't even know.. lol

A TWIST!

After thinking about it for 8 seconds, it's not really for me lol. I already know how to do what I want.. this is a solution for new users, but... If you want to make aliases of commands they don't even know.. lol

A TWIST!
Nah, just depends on how much you care, and how often you use them. If it's infrequent, and doesn't really bother you, might as well leave it.

View attachment 326926
Good to know. I'll avoid anything Realtek, and understand that if something isn't working, to check if it is Raltek or not, when trying to get Linux to run. Most Wifi Dongles are Realtek too, so that's a bummer. However, you'd think the Linux community would provide Realtek generic drivers, like MS does, since Realtek is really ubiqutous.

It's funny you say that about realtek as i have used numerous usb wifi adapters with realtek chips and never had an issue. Cisco on the other hand, no bueno.
Opps, well good to know about the USB adapters because I have about 10 of them in various flavors, including WiFi/BT combo dongles.

Last edited:
Good to know. I'll avoid anything Realtek, and understand that if something isn't working, to check if it is Raltek or not, when trying to get Linux to run. Most Wifi Dongles are Realtek too, so that's a bummer. However, you'd think the Linux community would provide Realtek generic drivers, like MS does, since Realtek is really ubiqutous.
Well, unfortunately, it's not so simple. There are open linux drivers, for some, but these chips often also require a firmware which is not open. That firmware is undocumented, and to write a driver for it is not simple. Plus, it's loaded at runtime, so distribution is a problem.

https://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x

Note that that wiki page is just for one family of realtek chips. There are many more.

Edit: I guess I should reply to the rest of the post. Oops!

Giving a reason WHY they are used, like you did, goes a long way. However, isn't Linux able to link commands? Like, I can make a shorter command to do something specific? Like run a long command I type often but link it to something? I can't remember.

The elitism comes from the very way his post was laid out. Like it's stupid to suggest changes. I mean, the Linux community has been crying for ages that windows is going down and Linux will be the top! I think intuitive distros have really helped that. Ones that make it easier for the new end user to use the OS. This is just another suggestive step in that direction.

I can assure you that if people make suggestions and they are greeted with "just deal with it. This isn't windows!" your hopes will be for naught. Then again, I usually see linux superusers aren't really sure what the hell they want. They want windows to be number 2, or gone completely, while at the same time actively trying to prevent everything that would make that outcome possible.
I get that but why does everything Linux need to resemble Windows? It's just the prevalent OS "currently." What about MAC users wanting to come to Linux? GIMP did or does have an Adobe Photoshop GUI you can use. So, again, I see your point. I was considering using GIMP and the Photoshop overlay, but them I thought, "Why?" Why stay with a naming convention that could stay or go anything, and thus just learn GIMP as it is--and forever forget Photoshop.

Again, I get your point. I'm starting to use Darktable now, and i can't even find how to save my changes to an image. I know where the function is in Lightroom, but not in Darktable. So, yeah, it's frustrating as hell.

Distros just simply had to be easier to install or Linux was going nowhere. that was a necessary condition of Linux adoption. Most people who jsut need an OS to chat, email, watch Tvideos, etc, are not going to bothered by Linux naming. That's a layer above the masses adopting Linux. They just need it to come on, serve them their browser, games, and other normal user stuff. Most people have no clue what the "startup" directory in Windows even is. And, they don't care. And, they will never care.

View attachment 327050
What does a ping [ip/URL] -n 50

look like in Linux?

Well, unfortunately, it's not so simple. There are open linux drivers, for some, but these chips often also require a firmware which is not open. That firmware is undocumented, and to write a driver for it is not simple. Plus, it's loaded at runtime, so distribution is a problem.

https://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x

Note that that wiki page is just for one family of realtek chips. There are many more.
Yeah i was just thinking about hardware problems, so there is that. I guess as long as the USB Realtek dongles work, it's fine. I don't use internal Realtek stuff, but, on the other hand, my Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi does use Realtek Sound. I wonder if that would be a problem? It's not an add in card. it's motherboard integrated. So, noting I can do about it with this board becasue i have an ITX board and no expansion PCI slots. Guess I could use a USB soundcard.

View attachment 327050
load"",8,1 :D

Microsoft don't make the drivers and you can't code ideal drivers from scratch when the manufacturer doesn't release decent technical documentation on their products. Most WiFi dongles are total garbage, I've never had one that worked decently.

Yeah i was just thinking about hardware problems, so there is that. I guess as long as the USB Realtek dongles work, it's fine. I don't use internal Realtek stuff, but, on the other hand, my Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi does use Realtek Sound. I wonder if that would be a problem? It's not an add in card. it's motherboard integrated. So, noting I can do about it with this board becasue i have an ITX board and no expansion PCI slots. Guess I could use a USB soundcard.

Realtek audio has issues under Windows.

load"",8,1 :D

Bloody Commodore Basic V2 commands, ugh! JiffyDOS and CMD-HD extended commands all the way.

I didn't use Commodore Basic V2 DOS commands in 1985 they were so bad, I was straight into fastloader carts even back then with the improved DOS wedge (and speeds).

So, did you ever get the internal Wifi card working?
Who me? It's an Intel card if you are talking to me.
Microsoft don't make the drivers and you can't code ideal drivers from scratch when the manufacturer doesn't release decent technical documentation on their products. Most WiFi dongles are total garbage, I've never had one that worked decently.
All the ones I have work as well as my internal Intel M2 Wifi card. I polled and pinged them for hours to the gate way and perfect. No spikes, no lost packets, nothing, and jsut as fast with downloads, jitter, etc. Of course, if you are loading uo your USB bus for some reason, then maybe you might get something, but just using it normally, I had a clean test over and over.

All the ones I have work as well as my internal Intel M2 Wifi card. I polled and pinged them for hours to the gate way and perfect. No spikes, no lost packets, nothing, and jsut as fast with downloads, jitter, etc. Of course, if you are loading uo your USB bus for some reason, then maybe you might get something, but just using it normally, I had a clean test over and over.

When it comes to Realtek, it's luck of the draw as to whether your particular chipset works under Linux. As stated, they're at best reverse engineered Windows drivers that are lucky to work at all.

So, did you get the internal Wifi card working?

When it comes to Realtek, it's luck of the draw as to whether your particular chipset works under Linux. As stated, they're at best reverse engineered Windows drivers that are lucky to work at all.
Case point, I could not get a Realtek combination WiFi/BT dongle to work on the BT side. I finally figured out that I had disable the other BT drivers in devices, then the Realtek BT. It seems that either Windows or Realtek can only work with ONE BT driver active at a time. Since I had my internal BT active, that was two active BT drivers, and no go with the Realtek dongle. So, I had to disable teh Internal Intel BT driver to get teh dingle BT to work. The WiFi was ok. It was just a BT driver thing, I guess.

Case point, I could not get a Realtek combination WiFi/BT dongle to work on the BT side. I finally figured out that I had disable the other BT drivers in devices, then the Realtek BT. It seems that either Windows or Realtek can only work with ONE BT driver active at a time. Since I had my internal BT active, that was two active BT drivers, and no go with the Realtek dongle. So, I had to disable teh Internal Intel BT driver to get teh dingle BT to work. The WiFi was ok. It was just a BT driver thing, I guess.
Windows has always been problematic with bluetooth. Once on a vacation in Greece I connected my Macbook to a Sony receiver at the hotel bar. The hotel owner was really impressed and asked me to do the same using his Windows7 laptop. I said sure. But... of course it couldn't be done. After wasting a couple of hours, I found out that Windows 7 had a gimped out bluetooth stack that couldn't support streaming audio. Which was nice.

The beauty of any prebuilt system that comes with Windows installed is you turn it on and it just works because someone else has done the work for you to make sure that it does. When you flip open the lid, click the power button, it is going to boot and things are going to work.

If you build your own PCs, then you know installing Windows and getting everything to work isn't always a walk in the park either. Chances are you're just either familiar with how to work through issues, or can use phone-A-friend to get help.

Installing Linux, while sometimes can be easy, when problems arise, fixing them isn't any harder than Windows. It's just learning how to fix it the Linux way. I have spent crazy amounts of time learning Linux basics by installing Arch Linux over, and over, and over, and over. I have found that learning how to setup my system step by step using Arch has helped me learn the way the people that create, update, and maintain Linux approach it from a technical standpoint.

Upon boot, I can instantly identify, partition, and setup drives using fdisk. I understand what a partitioning scheme is. I understand why most distributions like Ubuntu make you choose America/Chicago on that funky map. I know how to install GRUB, configure it, and set it to run your OS at boot. I know how to create users, create passwords for users, how display managers work, how a GUI like Gnome loads, and all of this from a command line. I know how to make services run using systemctl and how to make them load at startup. A couple of years ago I didn't know any of this.

When you run into a problem I can guarantee you there is a solution. It may not be easy, or fast (I spent almost 6 months trying to figure out how to get Linux to run on a dual graphics/Optimus setup) but there IS a solution. You just have to keep searching until you find it.

Windows has always been problematic with bluetooth. Once on a vacation in Greece I connected my Macbook to a Sony receiver at the hotel bar. The hotel owner was really impressed and asked me to do the same using his Windows7 laptop. I said sure. But... of course it couldn't be done. After wasting a couple of hours, I found out that Windows 7 had a gimped out bluetooth stack that couldn't support streaming audio. Which was nice.

Everything is problematic regarding Bluetooth. When I worked in the auto trade Bluetooth was the bane of my existence.

Everything is problematic regarding Bluetooth. When I worked in the auto trade Bluetooth was the bane of my existence.
My two last cars have had zero issues with bluetooth. First one, S500 Mercedes because it doesn't yet have it and the current daily driver, 2019 Audi A4 where it just seemlessly integrates with my iPhone. Within a couple seconds of switching on the power the music continues where it left.

My two last cars have had zero issues with bluetooth. First one, S500 Mercedes because it doesn't yet have it and the current daily driver, 2019 Audi A4 where it just seemlessly integrates with my iPhone. Within a couple seconds of switching on the power the music continues where it left.
I'm with you on the Bluetooth connections. Windows is hit or miss. Who even knows why it sometimes works and others, does not. Trying to get an Xbox one controller to work in windows with by is painful. Some days I turn the controller on and windows sees it, other days, no chance.

In my car? Exactly like you. I turn it on and my phone continues on where it did before. It's relatively new, though (2014).

I'm with you on the Bluetooth connections. Windows is hit or miss. Who even knows why it sometimes works and others, does not. Trying to get an Xbox one controller to work in windows with by is painful. Some days I turn the controller on and windows sees it, other days, no chance.

In my car? Exactly like you. I turn it on and my phone continues on where it did before. It's relatively new, though (2014).
I have to say the Mercedes was by far the easyest to set up with bluetooth. No pairing, no nothing. Just plug in the aux cord. Well until damn Apple removed the 3,5mm jack. :D

The beauty of any prebuilt system that comes with Windows installed is you turn it on and it just works because someone else has done the work for you to make sure that it does. When you flip open the lid, click the power button, it is going to boot and things are going to work.

If you build your own PCs, then you know installing Windows and getting everything to work isn't always a walk in the park either. Chances are you're just either familiar with how to work through issues, or can use phone-A-friend to get help.

Installing Linux, while sometimes can be easy, when problems arise, fixing them isn't any harder than Windows. It's just learning how to fix it the Linux way. I have spent crazy amounts of time learning Linux basics by installing Arch Linux over, and over, and over, and over. I have found that learning how to setup my system step by step using Arch has helped me learn the way the people that create, update, and maintain Linux approach it from a technical standpoint.

Upon boot, I can instantly identify, partition, and setup drives using fdisk. I understand what a partitioning scheme is. I understand why most distributions like Ubuntu make you choose America/Chicago on that funky map. I know how to install GRUB, configure it, and set it to run your OS at boot. I know how to create users, create passwords for users, how display managers work, how a GUI like Gnome loads, and all of this from a command line. I know how to make services run using systemctl and how to make them load at startup. A couple of years ago I didn't know any of this.

When you run into a problem I can guarantee you there is a solution. It may not be easy, or fast (I spent almost 6 months trying to figure out how to get Linux to run on a dual graphics/Optimus setup) but there IS a solution. You just have to keep searching until you find it.
That's about right. I can't fix many things without internet access in Windows. But, if I have internet, I can find the solution eventually, if there is one. There was NO solution for the Dongle BT not working. I just decided to disable the internal Intel BT driver to see what would happen, rebooted, and it worked. Tested the solution backwards, and it stopped working.

So overall, do you think Linux is easy to solve for than Windows, or has less problems generally that need you to find solutions?

I do have to give credit to Windows installs with Win 10. usually, it is a walk in the park, given you know how to boot from media to install it, which sometimes means changing boot order in BIOS.

My 2019 Hundai Accent doesn't work with my 2020 Pixel 4a BT voice control. For instance, when I am navigating using the Google Maps app, there is not audio for turns or other information. What's interesting is that my 2014 Windows Lumia works perfectly int eh 2019 Accent. I think it is a Google problem though, not the Hyundai or BT.

That's about right. I can't fix many things without internet access in Windows. But, if I have internet, I can find the solution eventually, if there is one. There was NO solution for the Dongle BT not working. I just decided to disable the internal Intel BT driver to see what would happen, rebooted, and it worked. Tested the solution backwards, and it stopped working.

So overall, do you think Linux is easy to solve for than Windows, or has less problems generally that need you to find solutions?

I do have to give credit to Windows installs with Win 10. usually, it is a walk in the park, given you know how to boot from media to install it, which sometimes means changing boot order in BIOS.
I have far less issues in Windows. When I do have an issue in Windows, it's usually something caused by the BIOS, not Windows.

As far as Linux goes, it's a never ending string of issues but many of them are because I'm always trying something new and borking it. But not all. The laptop/Optimus issue I was having that took 6 months to resolve aside, just trying to get Linux to do some basic things that just 'work' in Windows like installing and playing games can be extremely frustrating.

If I was just using Linux to browse the web, email, office, etc, I'd be perfectly fine with it. And when companies support Linux the way it's intended like Discord, Team Viewer, Libre Office, Firefox, etc, it's a beautiful thing.

But when you boot up and GDM stops working because nVidia borked their driver....again, I know it's not necessarily Linux's fault, but, it's still a pain.

TL;DR - Both Windows and Linux have issues. I have far less issues with Windows. Linux always seems to have some kind of problem be it installs, getting up and going, or trying to run some fringe application put together with bubblegum and duct tape like Lutris.

The problem is the Bluetooth standard appears to be a loose one at best. Certain phones would work fine, then there'd be a software update and suddenly they would stop working, certain phones were just outright problematic. You'd assume Android phones would be the worst offenders, but that actually wasn't the case - Apple devices were shocking.

I have far less issues in Windows. When I do have an issue in Windows, it's usually something caused by the BIOS, not Windows.

As far as Linux goes, it's a never ending string of issues but many of them are because I'm always trying something new and borking it. But not all. The laptop/Optimus issue I was having that took 6 months to resolve aside, just trying to get Linux to do some basic things that just 'work' in Windows like installing and playing games can be extremely frustrating.

If I was just using Linux to browse the web, email, office, etc, I'd be perfectly fine with it. And when companies support Linux the way it's intended like Discord, Team Viewer, Libre Office, Firefox, etc, it's a beautiful thing.

But when you boot up and GDM stops working because nVidia borked their driver....again, I know it's not necessarily Linux's fault, but, it's still a pain.

TL;DR - Both Windows and Linux have issues. I have far less issues with Windows. Linux always seems to have some kind of problem be it installs, getting up and going, or trying to run some fringe application put together with bubblegum and duct tape like Lutris.

Switchable graphics solutions are a problem, although most issues should be sorted by using the very latest drivers (which means adding the driver PPA in the case of Ubuntu variants). When it comes to laptops, I've always avoided switchable graphics solutions like the plague - Intel iGPU's all the way as I don't need outright GPU power in a laptop. Remember, Linux gives you the option to update graphics drivers, updates aren't forced - If you find a driver that works you can stick with it.

As far as games are concerned, they're the easiest to install, especially under Steam. The process is no harder than Windows. Even Lutris isn't hard: Just install Lutris, install the game via the easily downloadable script and you're golden.

Back