Linux IQ Test

12/20 lol. I missed the SLES question, the RH vs RHEL version, compare/comm, linus torvalds release age for the kernel, which dev said all software sux, and a couple of others I can't remember. Oh well :\.

You got 15 of 20 correct.
Your score: 75%

I laughed at the "About two day's work" answer. Not like I've been victim of that or anything. :D

Agreed, but I plan to switch probably to pure Debian once the updates stop coming for 10. Shuttleworth can take his Unity and shove it. Ubuntu is getting far too full of itself and has become unwilling to listen to the people who actually use it IMO.

Yep. Took the words right out of my mouth. If anything, Ubuntu was good training wheels for pure Debian. I can live with the slower update cycle of Debian proper. Takes months for a submitted package to finally get to you...

Zarathustra[H];1036687874 said:
I had 10.04 and now have 10.11 on my desktop. Had no problems. 10.04 even detected my wireless adapter and got drivers for it on my laptop!

What don't you like about Ubuntu 10? I think it was a good improvement over 9...

Still running Ubuntu Server 10.04.1 LTS on my server. Seems to be running OK to me.

You've got Server, little bit of a different situation. I was referring to my headaches with X/Gnome/Unity in 10. I've never had to deal with so many fundamentally broken packages and strong-arming of UI decisions as I had with Unity. Since I was using it on my netbook, I tried to do things to maximize my screen space. Compiz has this really nice setting where you can make the titlebar of any window expand into the top bar and appear within it if you fullscreen an application. Completely fucked if you're using 10. Metacity is combined with Gnome, Maximus, Compiz and Unity in ways that things are too easy to break and don't repair themselves when you purge conf files and force reinstallation of packages. It's probably the most egregious example of dependency hell I've come across.

Took me forever to sort it out and... that's the only reason I'm still using it, still trying to feel like I got my return on investment. When it comes to UIs and OSes, that's a BAD sign. Especially for a free one.

Got an 8 out of 20. I lot of this stuff I've seen and just don't remember from my Linux days. Unfortunately I've forgotten way more than I know.

You've got Server, little bit of a different situation. I was referring to my headaches with X/Gnome/Unity in 10. I've never had to deal with so many fundamentally broken packages and strong-arming of UI decisions as I had with Unity. Since I was using it on my netbook, I tried to do things to maximize my screen space. Compiz has this really nice setting where you can make the titlebar of any window expand into the top bar and appear within it if you fullscreen an application. Completely fucked if you're using 10. Metacity is combined with Gnome, Maximus, Compiz and Unity in ways that things are too easy to break and don't repair themselves when you purge conf files and force reinstallation of packages. It's probably the most egregious example of dependency hell I've come across.

Took me forever to sort it out and... that's the only reason I'm still using it, still trying to feel like I got my return on investment. When it comes to UIs and OSes, that's a BAD sign. Especially for a free one.

Did you use the Netbook remix?

Zarathustra[H];1036689530 said:
Did you use the Netbook remix?

How Netbook Remix was done in particular was discontinued for the Unity interface. They call it Netbook Edition now, which has the familiar large icons start screen, but misses a few of the other features that were in Netbook Remix proper. Which was part of the reason for my "clusterfuck" assessment. The methods to enable some of these features (like that one line compiz setting) took a lot of package untangling. One of my fav Gnome bar plugins were obsolete and Unity also eliminates your being able to configure the top bar with widgets. When using a Netbook or Laptop, the CPU Throttling widget is indespensible. IIRC 10.04 first disabled customizing the top bar in Netbook mode, in Gnome mode you could edit it. Then Unity kind of threw a wrench into the works.

I got 7. Just got rid of Ubuntu, too much of a pain. Went and did round one of the test and got a 7 there too. Guess I'm just not cut out for penguins... :eek:þ

I got 7. Just got rid of Ubuntu, too much of a pain. Went and did round one of the test and got a 7 there too. Guess I'm just not cut out for penguins... :eek:þ
I use Linux for 2 servers and a couple really old drone folding machines. I'd use it full time on the desktop, but I need Adobe Suite and Abelton Live and WINE just doesn't cut it. I am contemplating using Ubuntu on a laptop full time as I use my desktop for the tools mentioned. I've been able to ween myself off MSOffice, even though I think it's the best tool, and use LibreOffice and Google Docs. I think Linux will have a good future on tablets.

Back