Limit system...reposting my question

Psycrow

Gawd
I dont think i fully understand it all since its getting complex. I repost my question.

So i have this board maximus extreme XIII with a i9 11900k cpu and a 3080 ti gpu.
I have installed 3 x m.2 in all the motherboards sockets for these.

My cpu have Max # of PCI Express Lane 20.
So allready im loosing performance on the cost of these installed m.2 ? or what..
And it would be ridicules for me to buy the 4090 card ?

What if i install 2 of my M.2 in the Dimm. 2 module that came with the board ?
Will that free up some of the 20 lanes for my cpu, so it can perform better with a 4090 gpu ?

Why is there 3 x M.2 sockets in my board when its a "downgrade" to use em all.

Im so confused that i barly know what im asking about anymore...please help me

3 nvme pcie 4 slots would consume most of a cpus lanes. It's important to remember most devices cannot make use of a pcie 4.0 x16 lane. Nvme slots are normally x4 and pcie 3.0 is plenty fast. Devices may drop down to pcie 3.0 or reduced lanes which is fine for most devices. You will still have a pcie x16 lane allocated at near full speed pcie 3 or 4 for the GPU. One or more of your other pcie slots may not be usable depending on how the mobo frees up resources for the extra nvme slots.

Lots of nvme drives are normally a case for workstation hardware with more abundant pcie lanes but 3 nvme drives and a 4090 should be plenty reasonable on your hardware.

Open your uefi and it should tell you what ya have going on with pcie lanes and allow you to allocate them. Look at your devices and see what would be adequate (optimal doesnt matter).

Max bandwidth and what is actually used at the time are 2 very different things. Even if you're using PCI lanes it does not mean you're using them to max potential. 3x NVME + 4090 will still have a very solid performing system.

Enjoy the computer and worry less about performance.

3 nvme pcie 4 slots would consume most of a cpus lanes. It's important to remember most devices cannot make use of a pcie 4.0 x16 lane. Nvme slots are normally x4 and pcie 3.0 is plenty fast. Devices may drop down to pcie 3.0 or reduced lanes which is fine for most devices. You will still have a pcie x16 lane allocated at near full speed pcie 3 or 4 for the GPU. One or more of your other pcie slots may not be usable depending on how the mobo frees up resources for the extra nvme slots.

Lots of nvme drives are normally a case for workstation hardware with more abundant pcie lanes but 3 nvme drives and a 4090 should be plenty reasonable on your hardware.

Open your uefi and it should tell you what ya have going on with pcie lanes and allow you to allocate them. Look at your devices and see what would be adequate (optimal doesnt matter).
Using GPUZ then it reports my card can run 16 x 4 but under load it shows 8 x 4.
So it thzt cuz i have 3 m.2 that each use x 4 aka 12 and then its only x8 left for my current card ?

Checked in bios also and it says x 8 under my gpu and x 4 under my 3 M.2 so thats 20 in total allright.
I can sellect 16 x for my card but then one of my m.2 wont work since it gets disabled.

So i wonder if i can install the dimm 2 module and install 1 or 2 of my M.2 in it and save up some lanes for my gpu card ?

Last edited:
Using GPUZ then it reports my card can run 16 x 4 but under load it shows 8 x 4.
So it thzt cuz i have 3 m.2 that each use x 4 aka 12 and then its only x8 left for my current card ?

Checked in bios also and it says x 8 under my gpu and x 4 under my 3 M.2 so thats 20 in total allright.
I can sellect 16 x for my card but then one of my m.2 wont work since it gets disabled.

So i wonder if i can install the dimm 2 module and install 1 or 2 of my M.2 in it and save up some lanes for my gpu card ?
X8 pcie 4 is MORE then sufficiant for a 4090 under real world use. Moving the nvme drives would just let you allter lane assignments. You could probrably do x1 pcie 4 lanes for the nvme. But honestly they would better used on a x4 lane then a GPU on x16

Your configurations sounds like your just getting by with the 20 lanes, but all hardware is optimally supported.

From what i understand, then my M2_2 socket shares bandwidth with my gpu. Im not sure if its both the M2_1 and M2_2 that i need to remove the M.2 or just the M2_2 and install em in a dimm.2 module.
that seems to disable sata ports that i dont use anyway.

Here are some pictures of my manual, but i cant make head or tail in it.
M.2 x.png
M.2.png

Dimm 2.png

Ive only seen motherboards share the allocation of pcie lanes which may be generally described as "bandwidth". This may be noticed on your gpu x8 4.0 lane being part of a split of the x16 lane thats now shared with 1(2?) nvme drives, pcie lanes can be bifurcated efficiently. Normally slots other then the main gpu slot is shared first but im used to systems with more pcie lanes. pcie x8 4.0 is fine for a 4090.

Ok..
But i could not find any info on the dimm 2 module. Like do i free up the lanes so i can have 16 x pcie if i choose to install 2 of my M.2 on the dimm2 module rather than direct on the motherboards M,2 sockets ?
Like if i choose to have my windows M,2 drive installet in the m_3 socket and leave the 2 other sockets free ?

Ok..
But i could not find any info on the dimm 2 module. Like do i free up the lanes so i can have 16 x pcie if i choose to install 2 of my M.2 on the dimm2 module rather than direct on the motherboards M,2 sockets ?
Like if i choose to have my windows M,2 drive installet in the m_3 socket and leave the 2 other sockets free ?
No, dimms use pcie lanes as well. It mentions on the document the dimms can use sata resourses too. If the dim card has a nvme controller it could use alternative storage resources instead of pcie lanes. Im not going to do that research as it seems unlikely, and currently you have the system in the best configuration.

Do anyone know exactly if that dimm 2 module uses 4 or 8 lanes when 2 x M.2 are installed on it ?

Yeah it does, configuration 1 and configuration 2. Aka 1 or 2 m.2 installed.
Im sure its ment as config 1 with 2 x speed and config 2 with 4 x speed where it disabled the sata unless you run 2 x speeds.
Very confusing.

The easiest thing to do looks to be to remove M.2_2 which shares bandwidth with the GPU. This should give your primary x16 full bandwidth. Then use a M.2 adapter in the PCIe x4 slot (B in the diagram) which should disable a few SATA ports, but you'd still have 3 m.2 and full speed GPU lanes.

I would imagine that a regular M.2 PCIe adapter is cheaper than the fancy Asus DIMM.2 adapter unless the board comes with it.

The easiest thing to do looks to be to remove M.2_2 which shares bandwidth with the GPU. This should give your primary x16 full bandwidth. Then use a M.2 adapter in the PCIe x4 slot (B in the diagram) which should disable a few SATA ports, but you'd still have 3 m.2 and full speed GPU lanes.

I would imagine that a regular M.2 PCIe adapter is cheaper than the fancy Asus DIMM.2 adapter unless the board comes with it.
The fancu asus dimm 2 came with the board. So i allready got that.
Also i have my gpu vertical installed, so there is no room for an M.2 PCIe adapter.

So im still unsure if the dimm 2 will free up some bandwidth or not.
The manual i poasted show if i install the dimm 2 in slot C then i can run 2 x and have sata or i can enable 4 x and have all sata disabled. But i dont have any sata anyway.
I still cant figure out if i install 2 x m.2 drives om the fancy asus dimm 2 adapter. If it then takes 8 x bandwidth or still only 4 x bandwicth or no bandwidth at all.

I havent found anyone with a complete truefull answer to this.

The answer is right in front of you if you compare the manual to the specs for 11th Gen CPUs and Z590 motherboards.

Look at configuration A in the table above. 11th Gen CPUs are limited to 20 PCIe 4.0 lanes, 4 of which is going to the M.2_3 slot right below the CPU socket. So you are left with 16 lanes available for the two x16 slots and the two other M.2_1 and M.2_2 slots. The table tells you how you can divide up those x16 lanes depending on your configuration. Pretty much if you use anything other than the primary PCIeX16_1 slot, you are going to drop that slot to x8 due to the limitation of the 20 PCIe 4.0 lanes from the CPU.

Z590 motherboards allow for 24 PCIe 3.0 lanes from the chipset. The PCIeX4 slot, the DIMM.2 card, and the SATA ports are handled by the chipset at 3.0 speeds. Configuration B and C tells you how you can divide those up to maximize your M.2 capacity. On the DIMM.2 card, the first DIMM.2_1 slot automatically gets 4 lanes from the chipset. If you populate the 2nd slot on it, it will disable some SATA ports based on the table in Configuration C.

Configuration B is pretty much useless to you since you said you can't use the PCIeX4 slot due to your graphics orientation (although, you probably could if you used a low profile NVMe adapter).

To summarize, you can only have ONE PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD running at 4.0 speed AND still have full X16 bandwidth for your GPU. Any configuration with a second PCIe 4.0 M.2 drive will drop your x16 to x8 bandwidth. With no SATA, you can add two M.2 drives to your DIMM.2 module and have them running at 3.0 speed. Additionally, you could add another M.2 drive at PCIe 3.0 speed in the X4 slot. That's the limitation of 11th Gen CPUs and the Z590 chipset.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The answer is right in front of you if you compare the manual to the specs for 11th Gen CPUs and Z590 motherboards.

Look at configuration A in the table above. 11th Gen CPUs are limited to 20 PCIe 4.0 lanes, 4 of which is going to the M.2_3 slot right below the CPU socket. So you are left with 16 lanes available for the two x16 slots and the two other M.2_1 and M.2_2 slots. The table tells you how you can divide up those x16 lanes depending on your configuration. Pretty much if you use anything other than the primary PCIeX16_1 slot, you are going to drop that slot to x8 due to the limitation of the 20 PCIe 4.0 lanes from the CPU.

Z590 motherboards allow for 24 PCIe 3.0 lanes from the chipset. The PCIeX4 slot, the DIMM.2 card, and the SATA ports are handled by the chipset at 3.0 speeds. Configuration B and C tells you how you can divide those up to maximize your M.2 capacity. On the DIMM.2 card, the first DIMM.2_1 slot automatically gets 4 lanes from the chipset. If you populate the 2nd slot on it, it will disable some SATA ports based on the table in Configuration C.

Configuration B is pretty much useless to you since you said you can't use the PCIeX4 slot due to your graphics orientation (although, you probably could if you used a low profile NVMe adapter).

To summarize, you can only have ONE PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD running at 4.0 speed AND still have full X16 bandwidth for your GPU. Any configuration with a second PCIe 4.0 M.2 drive will drop your x16 to x8 bandwidth. With no SATA, you can add two M.2 drives to your DIMM.2 module and have them running at 3.0 speed. Additionally, you could add another M.2 drive at PCIe 3.0 speed in the X4 slot. That's the limitation of 11th Gen CPUs and the Z590 chipset.

Ok i start to understand now, but i still have questions that bugs me out !

I understand that i only can have 1 m.2 and 1 gpu installed for the 16 x configuration.
Now i have 3 m.2 installed in 2_1 2_2 and 2_3. So thats why my gpu runs 8 x.

But what will happen if i install 2 more m.2 in the dimm 2 adapter with my 3 allready installed m.2 ?
Will my gpu then drop to pcie 4 x ? or still stay 8 x ?

I live in EU and must use amazon.eu
Will this also work
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/NVME-Ada...zdiy-fab+nvme+pcie+4.0+adapter,aps,209&sr=8-5

For my Dimm 2 adapter:
So i dont need to buy 2 of the 980 samsung m.2.that runs PCIe Gen 4.0 x4
But i should buy 2 of the 970 samsung m.2 since they run PCIe Gen 3.0 x4

Sorry for my questions but im eager to understand this and learning by asking works for me.

I allready tryed to ask asus support but they dont understand anything..they dont even know about the dimm 2 adapter i asked em about.

The dimm adapter doesn't affect your GPU because the PCIe lanes come from the chipset.

The Dimm adapter runs PCIe 3 so you could use slower drives if you wanted.

The dimm adapter doesn't affect your GPU because the PCIe lanes come from the chipset.

The Dimm adapter runs PCIe 3 so you could use slower drives if you wanted.
So i can use the M 2_3 slot and the dimm 2 with 2 installed m.2 with my gpu and have 16 x pcie ?

Also asus says if i use 1 m.2 in the dimm 2 then it runs 4 x but if i use 2 m.2 in the dimm 2 then it runs 2 x.
Is that true ?

Also do this Nvme fits and work like the one you linked me https://www.amazon.de/-/en/NVME-Ada...4.0+adapter,aps,209&sr=8-5&tag=hardforumde-21

Your dim adapter uses pcie resources. Same as the GPU. Same as the mobo nvme slots. Same as a pcie nvme adapter card.

If you want to add 2 nvme drives(for 5 total): check your bios and see what you can set the nvme lane to. I suspect only x1 or x4 pcie 3 or 4. For 5 drives you will need to set more then 1 nvme to pcie x1 4. The GPU will be fine with x4 pcie 4 or more. I am assuming your board is able to bifurcate effectively. This system is close to the limit and not all board support arbatrary pcie lane splits across all slots (and dimm).

The new nvme drive could be pcie 3 there isnt much of a differance. Do research for how nvme drives are effected running on x1 lanes.

I believe this is still a fairly simple topic, so if you can think of any clear areas of confusion you would have regarding what devices you would use or the proformance limitations of using them ask those questions.

So i can use the M 2_3 slot and the dimm 2 with 2 installed m.2 with my gpu and have 16 x pcie ?

Also asus says if i use 1 m.2 in the dimm 2 then it runs 4 x but if i use 2 m.2 in the dimm 2 then it runs 2 x.
Is that true ?
No this is incorrect. You have 20 pcie lanes. Nvme drives use between x1 and x4 each. Check your bios to see if you can make the current nvme drive run at x2. If so 5 x2 nvme drives would use 10 lanes. And your gpu can use 8. Leaving you 2 more (one nvme drive could be x4). If you cannot set them to x2 you will be limited to x1 on some drives which can hinder performance.

You can use the dimm 2_1 adapter off sata resorses. this is just with one nvme drive installed. And due to lower performance of sata resourses you should only use a nvme 3 drive. Sata resourses are slower then pcie lanes. This is the only configuration that allows you to add 1 nvme drive without using pcie resourses. if you want to use extra nvme drives you would need a pcie to nvme adapter or the nvme dimm (at the cost of pcie lanes still).

The manual contradicts itself saying dimm2_2 shares bandwidth with sata..... it is either the case that one of the two nvme drives can use sata and the other pcie or it is incorrect and can only use the dimm 2_1 adapter off sata resorses.

Last edited:
So basicly i am on my limit allready using 3 x 4 lanes and 8 for the gpu = 20 unless i lower the speed of each m.2 depending on how many i want in the dimm 2 adapter. Thats sort of a downer.

So basicly i am on my limit allready using 3 x 4 lanes and 8 for the gpu = 20 unless i lower the speed of each m.2 depending on how many i want in the dimm 2 adapter. Thats sort of a downer.
yes, however check if you can limit the nvme drives to x2. that would not be a significant limitation to most nvme drives so then you could get by with 5 near full speed nvme drives.

yes, however check if you can limit the nvme drives to x2. that would not be a significant limitation to most nvme drives so then you could get by with 5 near full speed nvme drives.
I just looked in my bios and i could only set all the m.2 lanes to x 2 or x 4.
And i could set each m 2_1 2_2 and 2_3 sockets to gen 1 to 4
Current they run gen 4 x 4

So if i just install 1 m.2 in the dimm 2 adapter then im forced to lower the pcie speed to 2 x and my samsung 980 pro are ment to run 4 x :)

Another option is to buy a 2 GB m.2 samsung 980 drive for my games since games today needs 40-80 gb

The 3 m.2 drives i have are like this.

1: m.2 500 gb for windows
2: m.2 1 tb for my movies/music and other files i store
3: m.2 1 tb for games

They just cost 210 $ for a 2 tb samsung 980 pro maybe 200 $ with some discount.

Another question: Are my sata ports disabled now or can install sata drives ? and will they also use lanes, so i must reduce the m.2 to 2x ?

I just looked in my bios and i could only set all the m.2 lanes to x 2 or x 4.
And i could set each m 2_1 2_2 and 2_3 sockets to gen 1 to 4
Current they run gen 4 x 4

So if i just install 1 m.2 in the dimm 2 adapter then im forced to lower the pcie speed to 2 x and my samsung 980 pro are ment to run 4 x :)

Another option is to buy a 2 GB m.2 samsung 980 drive for my games since games today needs 40-80 gb

The 3 m.2 drives i have are like this.

1: m.2 500 gb for windows
2: m.2 1 tb for my movies/music and other files i store
3: m.2 1 tb for games

They just cost 210 $ for a 2 tb samsung 980 pro maybe 200 $ with some discount.

Another question: Are my sata ports disabled now or can install sata drives ? and will they also use lanes, so i must reduce the m.2 to 2x ?
currently you can use all your sata ports. you could do x8-gpu,x2-nvme,x2nvme,x4-nvme,x4-nvme + sata drives. all pcie gen 4.

currently you can use all your sata ports. you could do x8-gpu,x2-nvme,x2nvme,x4-nvme,x4-nvme + sata drives. all pcie gen 4.

I don't think that's correct with z590 and 11th gen.

CPU has 20 lanes PCIe 4
All of the onboard m.2 and the 2 x16 slots use those 20 CPU PCIe 4 lanes.
The chipset has 24 PCIe 3 lanes for the dimm.2 adapter, the PCIe x4 slot and the SATA ports. The dimm.2 uses 1 side full speed regardless of what you do with the other ports. If you use the 2nd side you start losing SATA.

At least that's my understanding from the posted manual pages and the anandtech writeup of 11th gen CPUs and motherboards.

Yes installing 1 m.2 in the dimm 2 disables half of the sata and using both sides of the dimm 2 disables all sata.
Also it dosent look like i can set the speed for each m.2 individual..its either all 4 x or all 2x but i can sellect gen 4 tho if that has a saying in anything.

So does the sata drives also takes up lanes and how many ?

Also if i install 1 more m.2 anywhere, then all my other m.2 will drop down to 2 x automatic ?

I don't think that's correct with z590 and 11th gen.

CPU has 20 lanes PCIe 4
All of the onboard m.2 and the 2 x16 slots use those 20 CPU PCIe 4 lanes.
The chipset has 24 PCIe 3 lanes for the dimm.2 adapter, the PCIe x4 slot and the SATA ports. The dimm.2 uses 1 side full speed regardless of what you do with the other ports. If you use the 2nd side you start losing SATA.

At least that's my understanding from the posted manual pages and the anandtech writeup of 11th gen CPUs and motherboards.
I think you are right about the availability of 24 pcie lanes which could be allocated via a pcie to nvme adapter (could use multiple nvme 3.0 x4 ssds).

your best bet to add more nvme drives looks to be to use a pcie to nvme adaper using gen 3. Or add one more using the dimm and sata resourses

So i should be able to use one more m.2 with 4 x using the dimm 2 ? But it will only run 3 gen ?

Yes appears so.
Where or how do i know or see if the m.2 installed in the one side of the dimm 2 only runs pcie 4x gen 3 and not pcie x 4 gen 4 ?
Cuz then i need to buy a samsung 970 evo since the 980 pro runs 4 gen an dthe 970 evo only runs 3 gen.

Also i would realy hate to uninstall the gpu and remove the motherboards m.2 plate to swap out the 1 tb to a 2 tb m.2..cuz right now everything works like charm.
It would be more easy just to install this dimm 2 module with another 2 tb m.2

After i spoke with Asus support then they said my computer will slow down adding more hardrives.
I feel like they dont know anything compared to you people in here.

Where or how do i know or see if the m.2 installed in the one side of the dimm 2 only runs pcie 4x gen 3 and not pcie x 4 gen 4 ?
Cuz then i need to buy a samsung 970 evo since the 980 pro runs 4 gen an dthe 970 evo only runs 3 gen.

Also i would realy hate to uninstall the gpu and remove the motherboards m.2 plate to swap out the 1 tb to a 2 tb m.2..cuz right now everything works like charm.
It would be more easy just to install this dimm 2 module with another 2 tb m.2

After i spoke with Asus support then they said my computer will slow down adding more hardrives.
I feel like they dont know anything compared to you people in here.
I think they are reaponding with theoreticals. They documentation is kinda poor so they probrably dont know what's going on.

My sources for the gen 3 instead of of gen 4 is the manual you listed. The way it reads, the dimm 2 with one nvme drive ONLY supports pcie gen 3. You also do not have any more pcie gen 4 lanes available. It appears the dimm or other pcie lane can use pcie gen 3 which you do have available. You could use a pcie gen 4 nvme in a gen 3 slot with minor proformance reduction. I would just buy the cheaper nvme gen 3 drive tho.

it is possible to run the GPU on gen 3 x16 without any performance loss. You may then be able to add a pcie to 2x nvme gen 4 adapter in one of the x16 slots and run up to 2 more gen 4 nvme drives. I dont know if this is possible with how you have your GPU installed. All other configs support only pcie gen 3 names and you may have to rearrange your drives to have the most essential best performing drives in the x4 gen 4 slots.

It is worth noting: the absolute limit of pcie lanes is not documented well for motherboards, you have to find it via trial and error. If you ran 8 nvme drive off x16 to 4 pcie to nvme adapters. Have the GPU on a riser and all mobo nvmes populated it would cause issues. However, adding 1 drive in the configurations we discussed should still be possible

Last edited:
I think they are reaponding with theoreticals. They documentation is kinda poor so they probrably dont know what's going on.

My sources for the gen 3 instead of of gen 4 is the manual you listed. The way it reads, the dimm 2 with one nvme drive ONLY supports pcie gen 3. You also do not have any more pcie gen 4 lanes available. It appears the dimm or other pcie lane can use pcie gen 3 which you do have available. You could use a pcie gen 4 nvme in a gen 3 slot with minor proformance reduction. I would just buy the cheaper nvme gen 3 drive tho.

it is possible to run the GPU on gen 3 x16 without any performance loss. You may then be able to add a pcie to 2x nvme gen 4 adapter in one of the x16 slots and run up to 2 more gen 4 nvme drives. I dont know if this is possible with how you have your GPU installed. All other configs support only pcie gen 3 names and you may have to rearrange your drives to have the most essential best performing drives in the x4 gen 4 slots.

It is worth noting: the absolute limit of pcie lanes is not documented well for motherboards, you have to find it via trial and error. If you ran 8 nvme drive off x16 to 4 pcie to nvme adapters. Have the GPU on a riser and all mobo nvmes populated it would cause issues. However, adding 1 drive in the configurations we discussed should still be possible
Sounds very wise !

I have the option to lower my gpu to a gen 3.
Current its set to auto and makes it gen 4 with the 8 x pcie.

So its like 2 lanes ?
Gen 3 and gen 4
Like i can have 24 pcie with gen 4 and 24 pcie with gen 3 ?
Or how does that work.

also do this adapter work for my board. Since i have to use amazon.de
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/NVME-Ada...zdiy-fab+nvme+pcie+4.0+adapter,aps,209&sr=8-5

PCIe​
Symbolrate pro Lane​
PCIe x1​
PCIe x4​
PCIe x8​
PCIe x16​
3.0/3.1​
8 GT/s​
0,985 GByte/s​
3,938 GByte/s​
7,877 GByte/s​
15,754 GByte/s
4.0​
16 GT/s​
1,969 GByte/s​
7,877 GByte/s​
15,754 GByte/s
31,508 GByte/s​

Sounds very wise !

I have the option to lower my gpu to a gen 3.
Current its set to auto and makes it gen 4 with the 8 x pcie.

So its like 2 lanes ?
Gen 3 and gen 4
Like i can have 24 pcie with gen 4 and 24 pcie with gen 3 ?
Or how does that work.

also do this adapter work for my board. Since i have to use amazon.de
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/NVME-Adapter-Heatsink-6amLifestyle-Supports/dp/B07RZZ3TJG/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3SFPI9IK19Y40&keywords=EZDIY-FAB+NVME+PCI-e+4,0+Adapter&qid=1680021196&sprefix=ezdiy-fab+nvme+pcie+4.0+adapter,aps,209&sr=8-5

PCIe​
Symbolrate pro Lane​
PCIe x1​
PCIe x4​
PCIe x8​
PCIe x16​
3.0/3.1​
8 GT/s​
0,985 GByte/s​
3,938 GByte/s​
7,877 GByte/s​
15,754 GByte/s
4.0​
16 GT/s​
1,969 GByte/s​
7,877 GByte/s​
15,754 GByte/s
31,508 GByte/s​
Should have 20 pre gen 4 lanes and 24 gen 3 lanes. Admittedly, this is foreign to my past knowledge of pcie lanes which are entirety CPU allocated. I'm used to older systems and my knowledge of this was just a 5min look on the z590 prompted by a previous comment on the chipset. I'm unsure if there is a degree of bandwidth sharing in actual implications of using a majority of these lanes. However pcie bandwidth is rarely a bottleneck so you should be find even if it is shared. As you found x8 gen 4 = x16 gen 3 bandwidth wise. The GPU would be more then fine on either.

I'm mobile so I cant do the research on that adapter. It looks weird. I'm not sure how it would work, I'm not sure what the dimm to nvme drive looks like for your mobo.

I would go with something like this 4 nvme drive to gen 4 x16. Only because I'm familiar with this stuff and it normally bifurcates orrectly. You would need room with this and your gpu and this would have to be on the slot set to gen 4

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115713133086?epid=19040315665&hash=item1af10a4a1e:g:QLoAAOSw3h9j9Uft&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA8FpyCYWzD7P+utf9Uj8LjaJkxHCT6fDeZnQOYrk+aivOofOrKpFyuLtQwT8yCZjyLjZPIs8XaqIEbUCicknNzctZO27QEZDSRwbjGI/ScyFpe6ZnGv7PlxCQlI/rlNMta/6u8jWU0mqxt2WETs030L/7Ec21T6eNcLatmlTxYXAyQauCBNsJpjuY3oA/xRxfENp5KSdEHcon3wWYXzUusLr0vvEUpWAi1yeTGhEhuNRh/r8//1UPYliMx4X2sZUii2qhoonqX3Oq2937fbmPpaK1IeDSxs2Z0qMgNMFKVY3KOIM+qNaKXPTz5aowJFFi6w==|tkp:Bk9SR6qZnPHlYQ

There are other options for this

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok so change my gpu to gen 3 x 16 and get a nvme adapter in the other gpu slot as a 4 th m.2 running all 4 drives x 4 gen 4.
And then avoid the dimm 2 since its only pcie 3

I would need it to be a low profile nvme adapter due to the vertical gpu i use.

It does look wierd indeed but the first adapter that was linked is from amazon.com and dont ship to me and cost way to must if it can be shipped.

can you help me find a low profile nvme adapter in EU ?

Ok so change my gpu to gen 3 x 16 and get a nvme adapter in the other gpu slot as a 4 th m.2 running all 4 drives x 4 gen 4.
And then avoid the dimm 2 since its only pcie 3

I would need it to be a low profile nvme adapter due to the vertical gpu i use.

It does look wierd indeed but the first adapter that was linked is from amazon.com and dont ship to me and cost way to must if it can be shipped.

can you help me find a low profile nvme adapter in EU ?
Leave some nvme on the motherboard and get a nvme pcie gen 4 adapter that only supports 2 drive. Those can be found in low profile. I'll try to link something when I get to a desktop but it would just be a guess. Maybe do some research on good pcie 4 adapters

Back