Lightsaber Colors Decoded

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
In an interesting article from cNet, author Sean Keane goes through all the various lightsaber colors from over the years and gives us the meaning behind them. Concept artist Ralph McQuarrie was the one who decided to associate the colors of the lightsaber with the moral standing o the character weiding it. While the article doesn't go into all 175 unique lightsabers it's still pretty interesting.

Since the Disney buyout, I think it's safe to say that Kathleen Kennedy's lightsaber color would be brown.

The notion of green as the choice of more experienced Jedi was reinforced by the prequels, in which Qui-Gon Jinn (Obi-Wan's master) and Yoda (the order's grand master) used them.

Samuel L. Jackson's was purple. Let the speculation....begin.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi0.kym-cdn.com%2Fentries%2Ficons%2Foriginal%2F000%2F019%2F068%2FlgJCmtjW_400x400.jpg

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

It was purple because Samuel L. Jackson wanted to be more noticeable in battle scenes and purple is his favorite color.

Ya. That's the problem with trying to "decode" all this is the choices were not made with a unified grand idea in mind. In the original movie, each Jedi was given a distinctive colour: Luke got blue, Obi-wan got green, Vader got red. Makes them visually distinct and Vader being the baddy got red and his opposite got green. Later Luke gets green and both baddies continue to have red. Again, just simple visual symbolism and distinction. Then you have stuff like Jackson's where it was at the request of the actor. Big name stars can get what they want a lot of the time, and he wanted to have a distinctive lightsaber and got it.

There's too much variation, particularly if you start looking at other things like books, cartoons, games, etc to try and decode any universal meaning because there wasn't one to start.

Everyone knows Windu is Emperor Snoke.

Oh wait. It doesnt matter any more. He's dead.

Worthless character, terrible writing, so many wasted opportunities.

Everyone knows Windu is Emperor Snoke.

Oh wait. It doesnt matter any more. He's dead.

Worthless character, terrible writing, so many wasted opportunities.
Not that I’m a big fan of episode 1, but they killed Darth Maul who arguably could have been pretty bad ass.

I know they brought him back and the cartoons and elsewhere (no spoilers cause I’m cool like that).

Star Wars has a rich history of glossing over cool bad guys.

Not that I’m a big fan of episode 1, but they killed Darth Maul who arguably could have been pretty bad ass.
And in RotJ they killed Emporor Palpatine, now sure he made "appearances" in SW & ESB but he wasn't really a part of those movies, it wasn't until RotJ that he was actually an active part of the movie, and poof dead. I'll admit that was the end of the trilogy so it's a tad different, but still.

And in RotJ they killed Emporor Palpatine, now sure he made "appearances" in SW & ESB but he wasn't really a part of those movies, it wasn't until RotJ that he was actually an active part of the movie, and poof dead. I'll admit that was the end of the trilogy so it's a tad different, but still.
Palpatine has to die for Vader’s redemption but I don’t disagree. If you’ve seen Solo the opening bad guy had the same thing going on. It’s lame.

Palpatine has to die for Vader’s redemption but I don’t disagree. If you’ve seen Solo the opening bad guy had the same thing going on. It’s lame.
You guys really need to read the books/comics. Palpatine comes back.

You guys really need to read the books/comics. Palpatine comes back.
And so does Darth Maul.

I know the idea of "canon" with the new regime in charge of the SW universe (I think the Timothy Zahn books were at one time considered "canon") but the reality is the movie universe is a different beast than the comics/book universe.

Back