Lian Li PC- Q08 itx case : Specification & Feature

I see your specs are largely the same as what I intend to build, did you also use the H50 cooler though?

The point about the upper fan as an intake is noted. I think you're right too considering the mesh that is there. Again I think it is better to keep this case under positive pressure as there seem to be many vent holes in it, and it would be a dusty nightmare if air was always flowing inside those vents. What I might do though is have the PSU oriented such that the fan is pointed inwards, to help with hot air case exhaust.

bastage, is there a reason you cannot use a short PSU cable kit on the Silverstone x series? They are also modular PSUs after all...

I am looking at the MSI R6870 GPU with the Twin Frozr cooler as it seems to have good cooling and also is reported to be very quiet.

Ruahrc

I got stock Intel cooler, but I am thinking of replacing it with either H50 if I decide to spend that much, or Scythe Samurai ZZ. As I do not plan to OC any time soon, either will do.

The max height to the PSU is about 115mm so there is not that much choice but enough. However!, biggest problem is not the height, but motherboard layout. CPU sockets tend to be close to PCI-e limiting the dimensions of the cooler a lot. I think it is something like 90x90 or you need to look for something that is off-center.
BTW Thermalright AXP-140 seems to be a popular choice of cooler. I think GeminiiS as well.

In terms of MSI Twin Frozr, it is a small case and the MSI cooling is in case. So H50 might be a better idea. The reason I went with stock cooler on my HD6870 is that it exausts most hot air though the back.

Yes that's pretty similar to what I was thinking.

How exactly did you mount the 140mm fan to the H50 rad? I thought i only accepted 120mm fans. Looking at your post, you say it's a 140mm fan (which looks right given you can see some of it extend past the edge of the radiator) yet it seems to mount nicely to the H50 rad using its 120mm mounting holes? I'm confused.

I see in your system you did not use a dedicated GPU, which might be an issue for me but I think there would be room. The one I intend to use is 255mm long (AMD 6870), which if going by the Lian Li specs gives 45mm of room to play with. Given the rad is only 1.5cm thick there should be plenty of room to spare. Probably even enough room to do 2 fans in push-pull and still fit a 255mm video card inside.

In your pics I see you have the hoses entering the rad from the top. Is there enough length in the hose to have the hoses entering the rad from the bottom? I heard this was a better orientation regarding possible air bubble trapping.

It would be ideal to fit a 140mm Noctua in there and have it cool the rad although if that won't work (someone said they tried this earlier but found airflow through the rad to be lacking?) a 120mm Noctua with a 140-120 reducer plate would work too. Assuming all the measurements are accurate and you use 25mm fans, I could probably also use 2 120mm Noctuas in push-pull around the rad for better cooling but given I am not going to OC I don't think this will be necessary. Then put a 120mm Noctua in the upper vent to exhaust hor air out the top, put in some kind of cardboard baffle on the rear vents to increase exhaust effectiveness of the upper 120mm fan. Having only 2 case fans (1 140mm Noctua and 1 120mm Noctua), a quiet high quality PSU, and a quiet GPU (a little more noise on the GPU is okay if gaming, idle noise should be low) that should be pretty quiet.

I think it could work!

Ruahrc

How exactly did you mount the 140mm fan to the H50 rad? I thought i only accepted 120mm fans. Looking at your post, you say it's a 140mm fan (which looks right given you can see some of it extend past the edge of the radiator) yet it seems to mount nicely to the H50 rad using its 120mm mounting holes? I'm confused.

I see in your system you did not use a dedicated GPU, which might be an issue for me but I think there would be room. The one I intend to use is 255mm long (AMD 6870), which if going by the Lian Li specs gives 45mm of room to play with. Given the rad is only 1.5cm thick there should be plenty of room to spare. Probably even enough room to do 2 fans in push-pull and still fit a 255mm video card inside.

In your pics I see you have the hoses entering the rad from the top. Is there enough length in the hose to have the hoses entering the rad from the bottom? I heard this was a better orientation regarding possible air bubble trapping.

It would be ideal to fit a 140mm Noctua in there and have it cool the rad although if that won't work (someone said they tried this earlier but found airflow through the rad to be lacking?) a 120mm Noctua with a 140-120 reducer plate would work too. Assuming all the measurements are accurate and you use 25mm fans, I could probably also use 2 120mm Noctuas in push-pull around the rad for better cooling but given I am not going to OC I don't think this will be necessary. Then put a 120mm Noctua in the upper vent to exhaust hor air out the top, put in some kind of cardboard baffle on the rear vents to increase exhaust effectiveness of the upper 120mm fan. Having only 2 case fans (1 140mm Noctua and 1 120mm Noctua), a quiet high quality PSU, and a quiet GPU (a little more noise on the GPU is okay if gaming, idle noise should be low) that should be pretty quiet.

I think it could work!

Ruahrc

It's possible for a 140mm fan to also have 120mm fan holes. I have an Enermax 140mm fan that has 120mm fan holes right below the 120mm fan holes. It also has fan holes (100mm?) below the 120mm fan holes.

I use a scythe 140mm fan, that has 120mm mounting holes, as you can see here in the specs:

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/111/sm1425sl12_detail.html

and here a couple of pictures of my rad before mounting inside the case: you can see the fan mount directly with screws on the h50 rad:

actually I'm waiting for a gpu; with the rad on the front and the 140mm (25mm thick) fan I have almost 27cm for a vga, so tou could fit without problems a 6870

yes, but should be a problem to fit a vga

I think it could work!

Ruahrc

yes, you coudl use 2 120mm Noctuas in push-pull around the rad, but you must sure that you have enough space for the vga

about the noise, actually my system (with 1 140mm fan on rad, 1 120mm fan on top and the psu fan) is very silent in idle ;)

I think it could work!

Ruahrc

new fan casing design allows for 140mm FAN to have the plastic around it to be 120mm by making it circular. All the new fans that are 140mm but circular looking are made so they have 120mm holes, check out ones like noctua in videos people mention they include adapters to 140mm, even tho it is already

Interesting, thanks for the info.

After reading some reviews I think I will try to fit a dual 120mm in push-pull, so that I can run them at low RPMs and still get good cooling. I think that might work. I guess otherwise just a Noctua 140mm in the front.

Ruahrc

I was able to keep the top as an effective exhaust by mounting the side case panel with the open vent portion where the HD bay is. My power supply doesn't have an exhaust so it worked well. My HDD temps stay pretty low.

I also picked up a replacement fan for the front, since this is a NAS build and I didn't want it all lit up:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103078

Any alternatives on a mobo for this case, besides the Zotac H55? I like the Zotac H55 for its built-in wifi, but I have read things with people having problems with it. Maybe I should just go with a better mainboard manufacturer (Gigabyte or someone) and just get a USB wifi 802.11n dongle. Is there a big difference in performance for the wifi via miniPCI or USB?

I'm also eyeing the Gskilll eco RAM which can run at 1.35v- but is the Zotac able to run the memory voltage that low? As I recall some reviews said the voltage options on the Zotac boards were not that great.

Ruahrc

If you wait for sandy bridge the Asus and ASRock itx boards have wifi. The Asus AMD board also has wifi and is currently available (if its not out of stock!)

Hmm sandy bridge. Is it true that these will be released like in a few weeks? I can wait for that. Strange that the ASUS mobo only supports laptop-sized SODIMMs but it's funny because you can buy the laptop DIMMS for the same price as the full-sized ones? I thought that the laptop parts were always more costly. Also strange that the SODIMMs run at the same speed yet none of them seem to require heat spreaders... is there a performance penalty coming from using SODIMMs that in return requires less power and thus no heat spreaders needed, or are the heat spreaders on most RAM just cosmetic fluff?

Hmm sandy bridge. Is it true that these will be released like in a few weeks? I can wait for that. Strange that the ASUS mobo only supports laptop-sized SODIMMs but it's funny because you can buy the laptop DIMMS for the same price as the full-sized ones? I thought that the laptop parts were always more costly. Also strange that the SODIMMs run at the same speed yet none of them seem to require heat spreaders... is there a performance penalty coming from using SODIMMs that in return requires less power and thus no heat spreaders needed, or are the heat spreaders on most RAM just cosmetic fluff?

Cosmetic Fluff.. But I like it. I Bought the Kingston hyper X 1866 Mhz Sodimm's for my Asus mITX (m4a88t-i)

I recently bought a corsair AX750 PSU and want to fit it in...
I realize that i would need to take out the drive cage.

Is there any way to mount a 2.5" SSD and a 3.5" HDD without the drive cage? (No optical drive). Would it be possible to put one HDD in the 5.25" bay and tape the SSD below the 5.25" bay?

Any suggestions? Or should I simply return the AX750?

I have yet to buy the case..

You don't need to tape it there, I believe the bottom of the 5.25" bay has mounting holes for the 2.5" drive. Also, w/o optical drive you should be able to fit the SSD above the HDD (in the same 5.25" bay).

Yes, the 5.25" drive bay has 2.5" mounting holes on the underside while you can use a 5.25" to 3.5" hard drive mounting kit to mount a 3.5" drive in the 5.25" drive bay.

I recently bought a corsair AX750 PSU and want to fit it in...
I realize that i would need to take out the drive cage.

Is there any way to mount a 2.5" SSD and a 3.5" HDD without the drive cage? (No optical drive). Would it be possible to put one HDD in the 5.25" bay and tape the SSD below the 5.25" bay?

Any suggestions? Or should I simply return the AX750?

I have yet to buy the case..

Althernative is to use PSU extender Lian Li sells. Gives you an extra 1 or 2 cm to work with by extending the PSU more out at the back.

last update of my mini itx....zotac gtx 580 finally arrived!

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036591066&postcount=7

Do I see this right? Does the GPU sit low enough as to slide under the front-mounted H50 and fan?

I was thinking of getting an ATI 6950 instead of a 6870 but it is a little longer. The 6870 would fit with a front-mounted H50 with 2 fans in push-pull, but the extra length of the 6950 would only allow for one fan, unless it rode on top of the GPU.

Ruahrc

Do I see this right? Does the GPU sit low enough as to slide under the front-mounted H50 and fan?

I was thinking of getting an ATI 6950 instead of a 6870 but it is a little longer. The 6870 would fit with a front-mounted H50 with 2 fans in push-pull, but the extra length of the 6950 would only allow for one fan, unless it rode on top of the GPU.

Ruahrc

no. it's the camera angle, but the gpu is not under the H50: so you couldn't install a 6950-6970, cause they are too long

Lian-Li PC-Q08
Corsair AX750
Gigabyte H55N-USB3
Intel i5 760
2x4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333
Gigabyte GTX 560
Intel X25-M 80GB SSD
OCZ Vertex 96GB
WD 640GB Black
2x Noctua P12
1x Noctua P14
Scythe Shuriken Rev. B

DSC00284.jpg

DSC00286.jpg

DSC00201.jpg

DSC00280.jpg

corsair1.png

DSC00267.jpg

DSC00265.jpg

DSC00287.jpg

DSC00288.jpg

DSC00296.jpg

DSC00301.jpg

I recall some folks had luck with Thermalright AXP-140 and potentially the very same mobo you're using. Can you put some insulating layer on the back of the video card (so that it can press on the Shuriken without a short) and then screw it in?

Unfortunately, I cannot find a place here in Canada that sells the AXP-140. I taped the side of my Shuriken Rev. B (don't want to risk it shorting anything) and I just can't push my 560 against it. There's too much force, which makes me a bit uncomfortable. I left it hanging from the time being. I think it should be fine (hopefully).

Unfortunately, I cannot find a place here in Canada that sells the AXP-140. I taped the side of my Shuriken Rev. B (don't want to risk it shorting anything) and I just can't push my 560 against it. There's too much force, which makes me a bit uncomfortable. I left it hanging from the time being. I think it should be fine (hopefully).

i had a gemini s on this board with video card although its very close

Jen

Pretty pictures. I feel for your problem with the tight fit.

I plan to build a media &etc. server, so all six drive bays will be used. I'm not a gamer but if I do throw a video card in there it'll have to be short.

I planned to use a Zotac H67-ITX mobo, it having 6 SATA ports. The Sandy Bridge chipset snafu's thrown a wrench into the project. I may end up waiting for a Zotac board with the Z68 express chipset which (according to Intel) remains on schedule for 2Q 2011 release. Zotac because they seem to be the only manufacturer that equips their mobos with 6 SATA ports.

Life on the bleeding edge.

Harry

Who has swapped out the front 140mm fan? I can't stand the LED, but what fan would you recommend? I was looking for a Scythe fan, but it seems all of the 140mm fans are made for mounting on 120mm mountings.

Noctua has a 140mm fan which has dual mountings for 120/140mm.

Thermalright TY-140 was another but that is also a 140mm fan for 120mm openings.

Would prefer Scythe, but would also consider others.

I've used Enermax UCTB14 T.B. SILENCE 140mm as my front fan when I had the Q08; it can be mounted in either 120mm or 140mm holes (as it has holes for both). I got my NoiseBlocker after I sold my Q08 so I can't vouch for that in the Q08.

The 140mm Noctua I got does a good job with the cooling.

By the way, I replaced my GTX 560 with a GTX 570.

More updated pics to come once I decide which cooler I want. I don't feel comfortable leaving my 570 hanging in the PCI-E slot.

Stopped by Microcenter on my way home tonight and saw that Scythe has some 135mm FDB fans that are made for 140mm holes, so I'll have to check online to see if anyone stocks them for a better price than MC does at $29.99 each.

MC has great prices on CPU's and now motherboards, but a lot of the smaller ticket items are priced well above online prices.

Excellent pics, transporter!

How are those SSDs stuck on the side wall? Velcro or something?

Could you describe a little the mounting of your platter HD in the 5.25" bay? Does the case come with a 5.25 to 3.5" bay adapter or was that a separate purchase? Is your HD mounted in any way such that it has vibration isolation? I am thinking of using a larger cheaper 3.5" HD mounted in the 5.25" bay and just buying/using an external USB CD/DVD drive for the rare occasion that I need it, versus going with a smaller 2.5" laptop drive mounted on the bottom of the 5.25" bay. Doing so would also leave open the option to upgrade w/ a SSD in the future. But I am not sure if I would need to purchase an extra adapter, or if I could get vibration isolation from it (I like Lian Li's design of vibration isolation for the drive cage but I don't intend to use it).

Also would be neat to see a shot of the PSU installed :)

Ruahrc

Excellent pics, transporter!

How are those SSDs stuck on the side wall? Velcro or something?

Could you describe a little the mounting of your platter HD in the 5.25" bay? Does the case come with a 5.25 to 3.5" bay adapter or was that a separate purchase? Is your HD mounted in any way such that it has vibration isolation? I am thinking of using a larger cheaper 3.5" HD mounted in the 5.25" bay and just buying/using an external USB CD/DVD drive for the rare occasion that I need it, versus going with a smaller 2.5" laptop drive mounted on the bottom of the 5.25" bay. Doing so would also leave open the option to upgrade w/ a SSD in the future. But I am not sure if I would need to purchase an extra adapter, or if I could get vibration isolation from it (I like Lian Li's design of vibration isolation for the drive cage but I don't intend to use it).

Also would be neat to see a shot of the PSU installed :)

Ruahrc

I used double sided tape for the SSDs. It actually works and holds well. In the later pics, you see the SSDs a bit slanted. If I didn't do this, it would have prevented me from installing the 5.25" drive cage.

I am using the Lian-Li MF-515B to mount my 640GB Black in the 5.25" bay. I am using the rubber things that were on the original hard drive cages in the PC-Q08 to prevent or minimize the vibration that would be produce by the hard drive. I am using an external dvd-drive also, so I am able to sacrifice the 5.25" bay for a 3.5" HDD. And yes, you are able to mount a 2.5" hard drive in the 5.25" drive cage/bay (the one that came with the case) there are screw holes at the bottom for it.

I'll try and get pics up with the PSU installed. I am still waiting for some mosfet sinks from the mail before I do so.

Anyway, here are some updated pics with the H50 and GTX 570 installed. I am using two washers on each screw hole for the backplate, so I don't have to mash it up. It works well. See pics below for more info:

DSC00304.jpg

DSC00310.jpg

DSC00311.jpg

DSC00312.jpg

DSC00315.jpg

DSC00317.jpg

DSC00329.jpg

DSC00322.jpg

Lian-Li PC-Q08
Corsair AX750
Gigabyte H55N-USB3
Intel i5 760
2x4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333
Gigabyte GTX 560
Intel X25-M 80GB SSD
OCZ Vertex 96GB
WD 640GB Black
2x Noctua P12
1x Noctua P14
Scythe Shuriken Rev. B

Can you show a picture of your case with everything installed? I'm thinking of doing something very similar, but I'm afraid that the Corsair AX750's cable will take up a lot of space and makes it hard to have a clean install.

Back