Lian Li PC- Q08 itx case : Specification & Feature

I'm considering buying the Q08 in the near future, but before I do:

Is the silver version silver paint, or brushed aluminum like their older cases?

What power supply would you recommend? I'm looking for something modular in the 600w+ range that isn't any longer than a non-modular.

Brushed aluminum ... If you plan on opening the case more than a few times, you might want to wait till PC-Q18 is out (those tiny screws do get you after a while)

It seems quite a bit thinner though, and I'm planning on putting an H50 in it like the setup on the previous page.

I had the PC V-300 and the screws never really bothered me. (until the whole case got slightly warped over the years and they didn't line up very well.)

Also what about the TU200. I couldn't even find a thread for it, but it seems like another possible choice (even if it is a bit silly looking)

It seems to be a Q08 with latching side panels, and a handle instead of a top fan.

Last edited:
Q18, Q25 and TU200 are siblings .. the biggest difference is that the latter two are available in stores, while the former has just been shown on CES (think of it as a less goofy version of TU200)

I guess I'll wait for more info on the TU200 and the Q18, If you can fit an H50 in it, I might go for one of them instead.

The case specs say "Video card up to 300mm long" (that's like 12"). The 7950's I read about were shorter than that (~10.25")

Hi Guys - as someone who's been constantly upgrading and fiddling with PCs since the days of the 8086 (oh, the memories), it was time to get up to date after a 3 year absence in the scene. Since my whole build is centered around the Q08, thought I'd post it here. The computer is primarily served as a HTPC/File server that resides in my living room in a shelf so it has to be 1) quiet 2) small footprint and 3) house 6+ HDDs. You can view my last setup at http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1296482 to get an idea of what i'm after. With that in mind, i ordered the following:

LIAN LI PC-Q08B Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=480&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=64

ASUS P8H67-I (Intel H67) Mini ITX Motherboard
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8H67I/

Intel® Core™ i3-2100T Processor (3M Cache, 2.50 GHz)
http://ark.intel.com/products/53423

G.SKILL ECO 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBECO
http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=321

Scythe SCBSK-2100 120mm Sleeve BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B CPU Cooler
http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/120/scbsk2000_index.html

SeaSonic SS-350ET Bronze 350W ATX12V V2.31 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.seasonic.com/pdf/datasheet/01PC/SS-500-300ET.pdf

HITACHI HDS723020BLA642 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s X6
http://www.hitachigst.com/internal-drives/desktop/deskstar/deskstar-7k3000

Notes:
- I chose the Q08 because of the ability to house 6 HDDs and very shallow depth footprint
- The ASUS P8H67-I was selected because 1) was familiar with Asus 2) it had 6 SATA connectors available and 3) I heard bad things about the Zotac H67 alternative. This board was very hard to find since most sell the Deluxe version instead.
- I'm going from an old Core2Duo Q9300 Yorkfield to the I3-2100T, but everything i have read said they should be comparable. I chose the 2100T because of the 35W TDP rating. I was considering the 2390T, but its almost a wash in terms of performance.
- G. Skill Eco was chosen because of the low 1.35V operating range and tighter 7 CAS timings. I'm not looking to overclock, so 1333MHz was fine. I just hope the Asus board works with it. /crosses fingers
- Scythe BIg Shuriken 2 because my Ninja setup was awesome and hopefully this one stands up to the same Scythe reputation. I saw there were some issues with it edging down to the PCIe slot, but I will only be using the HD2000 SB graphics for now. Maybe i should have gotten the Thermalright AXP-140 RT instead, since i wanted to go passive and use the PSU fan above it for airflow?!
- I will probably use 5 Hitachis will probably be raided with 1 as the boot drive. I just need to find a SATA to USB dongle for the BDROM though.

I'm currently working on a build that almost done but is also at the same time being prepped for the operating table again. I almost got rid of my Q08 case not too long ago until I got bored and decided the Shuttle was too small to water cool and the Q08 once again had a purpose. Its currently running an i7-2700k cpu, 8gb Ripjaws ram from GSkill, two Intel SSD hard drives and is water cooled by Aquacomputer and EK. These aren't great pictures because I just took these for the heck of it but they will give you a general idea. I also moved my PSU to the front where the 140mm fan use to be. The 120mm fan inside the PSU now faces the front of the PC and draws air in. I did this mainly because the original design, blocks the view and accessibility to the motherboard. I'm not putting Aquacomputer parts in this build just to have them blocked by a PSU. Anyways here is what I have running right now.

DSC02108.jpg

DSC02104.jpg

DSC02103.jpg

DSC02100.jpg

I'm currently working on a build that almost done but is also at the same time being prepped for the operating table again. I almost got rid of my Q08 case not too long ago until I got bored and decided the Shuttle was too small to water cool and the Q08 once again had a purpose. Its currently running an i7-2700k cpu, 8gb Ripjaws ram from GSkill, two Intel SSD hard drives and is water cooled by Aquacomputer and EK. These aren't great pictures because I just took these for the heck of it but they will give you a general idea. I also moved my PSU to the front where the 140mm fan use to be. The 120mm fan inside the PSU now faces the front of the PC and draws air in. I did this mainly because the original design, blocks the view and accessibility to the motherboard. I'm not putting Aquacomputer parts in this build just to have them blocked by a PSU. Anyways here is what I have running right now.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii251/urbanlegend_ny/DSC02108.jpg
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii251/urbanlegend_ny/DSC02104.jpg
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii251/urbanlegend_ny/DSC02103.jpg
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii251/urbanlegend_ny/DSC02100.jpg

Can you put the front ports back in? Maybe with a shorter PSU?

The front ports go back in without a problem. I just haven't gotten around to it. I want to shorten the cables and sleeve them.

The front ports go back in without a problem. I just haven't gotten around to it. I want to shorten the cables and sleeve them.

That's an inspiring case very nicely done.

I'm getting sick of my little SG05 oven and have been considering one of these.

Is it possible (or beneficial/reasonable) to install fans on the bottom? Right under the GPU to cool it? I am looking to reduce the overall noise of the GPU (GTX 680)

Does anyone know if you can add a slim 140mm rad to the rear top without hitting the PSU or MOBO with this case?
Thanks

Has anyone else noticed that the PC-Q08 doesn't have those "slots" on the bottom of the PCI bracket holes that the ends of the PCI cards are supposed to slip into so they stay in place?

(Slots circled in red)
wspcislots.jpg

My problem with this is that my video card only takes up one slot. In my other slot is one of these 4-port USB bracket things:
ux_a08120500ux0015_ux_c.jpg

When I try plugging anything into those USB ports, the whole bracket pushes in since it's only secured at the top where that lip is that the bracket rests on and is attached to with one screw. Same thing happens with my video card when I try plugging my monitors into it.
Quoting an old post, I know, but is there anyone who can think of a case similar to the PC-Q08 that has these slots?

Last edited:
Just a heads up if any of you are thinking about this combo.

The H60 cooler is unable to be fitted in to the case with the pipes facing the motherboard side as it will hit the upright riser module on the motherboard. The pipes will need to face the DVD drive bay. The radiator / fan combo will need to be displaced about 1cm towards the front of the case (to accomodate for the rectangular shape of the radiator) and also 2cm away from the heat sink (to allow 16cm long PSUs to fit in without hitting the side of the radiator tap).

See picture below as reference.

30533018.jpg

Mine arrives today.

I'm using it to house:

ASUS F1A75-I DELUXE
AMD A4-3400
8GB GSkill
850W Corsair Modular PSU
Corsair Force 3GT 480GB SSD
(2) Seagate 3TB SATA 6 HDDs
USB-Based HP TV Tuner (Like the Hauppauge 950)

The ASUS Remote Keyboard/Remote unit is actually pretty nice once you get used to it. It seems to have good range and is not too klutzy to use on a regular basis.

I already have Standalone Sony BluRay and Samsung DVD so I don't need those in this case.

With the software my Samsung TV came with, I can install AllShare onto the machine and then access all my media from the TV itself, or control the TV from the computer or my Android-based DRIOD. (Splashtop Remote)

When browsing the Computer shares from the TV, if I encounter a file that won't play on the TV Natively, I simply use the Remote to pop up the media player and play the file in WMP using the TV as my second desktop screen.

So far, it seems to work nicely.

what cooler would you recomend for this case?

i have a thermalright si-120 (90mm H) laying around, but with thin 120mm fan it would be 110mm tall.

not 100% sure if that would fit.

I'd recommend 140mm length PSU

I'm using a 160mm modular and it's a very tight fit where you have to bend some plugs to almost 90 degrees.

any PSU in particular?

I was looking at a tiny silverstone PSU, but it only has 3 sata plugs but nice 3 year warranty, larger silverstone (140mm D) got more sata power plugs but only 1 year warranty.

trying to find the ideal PSU

Personally I'm waiting for corsairs new modular CX series reviews to pop up and get in stock.

If I had to choose right now, id go with XFX 550W, they are made by seasonic and go pretty cheap w/ dirt showdown game. Also comes with a 5 year warranty if you are concerned with that.

Depending on where you are and what your budget it if you can go for gold/platinum rated psus they may pay off in energy costs during their lifetime.

XFX is not modular...

the new modular CX is in stock, but not sure if it will fit, dimentions are off on corsair site.

Hi 2 All

I want to put the noctua's 140 mm fan at the front with H60 radiator, which model is compatible with the front mounting bracket and radiator itself?

Maybe two fans will be perfect? One at the front with radiator, and one beside radiator?

I'm looking to put together a fun build this summer and the Q08 looks like the correct case for the job. If any of you previous (or current) owners could help me out, I would be greatly appreciative.

I will remove both HDD brackets. The front fan will be replaced with an H90 CLC + two 140x25mm fans. The top fan will contain some 120mm CLC (probably the Antec 620) + one 120x25mm fan. I'll be going with a GTX 780 on the 120mm CLC and a 4770k on the 140mm CLC. The 5.25" drive bay will be replaced with a slim ODD + 3.5" converter bay; there will be one 3.5" storage drive and then a 2.5" SSD below said converter bay. I was planning on using the upcoming ASUS mini deluxe board (with off-board VRMs). My PSU will most likely be whatever short seasonic fits the bill; if necessary, I can use one of the SS SFX PSUs.

The question is, will all of this fit? Will I run into any issues? My largest concern is the top CLC barbs conflicting with the off-board VRMs; it would be nice if I could get away without drilling any new holes. I am thinking that using a small SFX PSU would fix the issue that this user was experiencing (http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039026366&postcount=459).

Is there an alternative case that would be a better choice? I really like the fit and finish on my roommate's Q11, so I'd like to stick with something of similar quality.

Thanks!

So I'm deep into my thoughts of rebuilding my pc.
I like it as it is but want to make it even more quiet and efficiant.

Sandy becomes Haswell.
Corsair becomes Seasonic fanless.
8Gb becomes 16GB.
5770 becomes something with an Arctic accelero S1 plus.
Scythe Samurai ZZ becomes Phantek PH-TC14PE passively.

It will look something close to this:

GRbMic6.png

(not the right graphic card but couldn't find anything close to the Accelero S1)
(the bottom fan will be noctuas slim one aswell)

The problem is ofcourse the PSU.
Moving it into the chassi I thought of using the bracket that keeps the HDD cage up. But that would leave the PSU hanging on like 30mm of metal.
The entire build stands or falls with the move. Has anyone seen something close to this or got a smart solution?

(Also course the heatsink will be the red one and all cabels will be red).

It looks like the Accelero S1 is taller then 2 slots, It is already really close and won't fit.

It looks like the Accelero S1 is taller then 2 slots, It is already really close and won't fit.

Already checked that out, in theory it should be about 1-3 mm between the fan and the cooler.

Though it doesn't help if I can't move the PSU.

Back