Lian Li Case Rumor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XeRo_Dark

Gawd
I recently was at Comp USSR (comp usa) looking at a few fully aluminum cases (their grand total of 3 aluminum cases in the entire store), i asked a techno-weenie that worked there if they had any lian li pc-65's in stock, and he replied that they don't carry Lian Li because they start falling appart after a year of normal usage. In that i replied with "Lian li cases falling appart?? why, with them falling appart all the time why are they still in business??" he says, "well there a big company and with all the things people are saying bad about them im supprised they still make those poorly constructed cases" now from this im thinking, since when are tig welded/pop riveted aluminum cases falling appart? last time i checked pop rivets and tig welds hold for a long time. So i continue to talk to the guy, and hes all convinced about lain li cases falling appart, finaly i asked him, "so why do they put computers in cases?" he pauses for a second and says.. " so you dont get electricuted by the electrical current flowing through the cpu".......

Moral of the story.... never trust any person's word from comp usa, adding to the list of dumb asses working at stores that sell computers, or computer parts

1. Bestbuy, techs/salespersons
2. Computer builder's wharehouse, techs/salespersons
3. Circut city, anyone who works there
4. anyone who claims to know something about a computer which thinks Emachines are the best thing since underpants (My girlfriend's parents).
5. and finaly Comp USA salesmen/casheers/stockboys/anyone working in the department where they sell processors (asked a salesmen if they carried processor bearings, he took the time to look it up.)

TUNE IN NEXT WEEK WHEN WE TRAVEL TO THE GREAT MYSTERIOUS MICROCENTER!!!!!!!!!!!

Comp USA employees are very smart, they know all. To doubt their knowledge of computers is equivilent to doubting the existance of my left nut (oh, it is there - I just checked about 3 seconds prior to you reading this, no matter when you read it).

I wonder where he got the idea of Lian Li cases falling apart after a year.

They train these monkies with the moto "What you don't know - make up." Too bad they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

ROFL (literally) Thats so god-damn-funny. I knew those monkeys were dumb as fuck but man was that guy stupid. You know I don't think my local CompUSA has Lian Li cases either :D I'm going to have to ask them that too and see what their answer is. <devil grin>

Damn, I laughed so hard my side hurts now. :cool:

K1NGDEAD said:
people in retail are often stupid... thats why there in retail
I've seen some pretty cute chicks working in retail and you know what they say about the dumb ones. ;) :D

when i wint to comp ussr (comp usa) the other day there was a really really hot chick working in the section where they sell monitors......... normialy really really hot chicks dont know dick... then again... they do know dick....yes they know it very well.......... but yah to add to the fun-ness of things i asked her if she had any CRT monitors and she replied " I dont think we have those anymore." ....!?

Appearantly you were dealing with a normal counter-tard. You needed to speak to an advanced counter-tard to find anything with possible truth out.

That is the stupidist statement about computers I have heared in weeks.

I can't believe you guys forgot about Rat Shack where the slogan is,
"You got questions? We got blank stares."

As a previous employee of CompUSA, I know exactly what you're all talking about. More than half of the staff that works at CompUSA doesn't know shit about shit when it comes to a PC, they just want your money and that's about it.

I agree with everyone here, fuck CompUSA and their shitty service. I quit after a year and a half of pure torture having to go to work and not playing with my penis instead.

CompUSA, how I loathe thee!

ha...I think the CPU bearings thing is pretty funny...i hate when people are idiots like that. I did a simmilar thing at circuit city a bit ago, asked an associate where I could purcahse additional plates for my hard drive. He looked at me kinda funny and told me to check by the hard drives because he was pretty sure they have them. So I went over there, then found the guy again telling him I couldnt fine any, and asked him to help me. We walked over to the hard drive section, stood there for a bit, and then said, "hmm, i guess were sold out, sorry" and walked away with a puzzled look on his face...idiot

i decided that was to fun and I was going to find some more idiots. I went over by the computer section, and started looking at an HP PC with a 3000+ in it. I walked up to a guy and told him I had a few questions. First thing I asked him was if it supported hyperthread, his responce, "Yeah, all our computer support hyper threading." Next I asked him if the card was good for games (it was a 3000+, 256MB RAM, GF4 MX) and he told me it will play any game at max settings. Decided I really wanted to enjoy this idiot, I asked him if the computer supported SDRAM or RDRAM. He said he wasnt sure but he thougth it was RDRAM (altho the card sitting in from of him clealy said 333mhz DDR). Runnign out of questions to ask this guy, I tried to stall a bit. I finally came up with the question does it use a PATA or SATA hard drive. He told me he wasnt sure, it probably worked as both.... I told him he should quit for the good of the company and then left...talk about a complete moron.

mosin said:
I can't believe you guys forgot about Rat Shack where the slogan is,
"You got questions? We got blank stares."
I've actually meet two RC employees that knew about as much as I did, the chick was pretty cute too. :D

Since we're retail bashing...

I'm in the mood for a bigscreen t.v. I've done alot of research, and I think LCOS is the way to go. So me and the honey foo-foo jet over to the local Best Buy, and we're looking for an LCOS t.v.

Best Buy T.V. Salesman--"Hey, you all look a little lost and overwhelmed, how can I help you?"

Me--"I say LCOS, you say......."

Best Buy T.V. Salesman--"......What is that?"

Me--"Never mind."

Now, I realize LCOS is *fairly* new tech, and upon reflection, probably only higher-end A/V stores have them. But for someone to tell me I look lost and overwhelmed, when they are supposed to be the experts at their position, well....

FiZ said:
Comp USA employees are very smart, they know all. To doubt their knowledge of computers is equivilent to doubting the existance of my left nut (oh, it is there - I just checked about 3 seconds prior to you reading this, no matter when you read it).

u must work there :)

good guys probly knows a lot more and they dont work with computers.

Not all of us that work at comp usa are tards.... I just got a job there out of need =p At least the store I work I know 2 of the guys aren't tards out of about 20 employees me and the guy I work with.

DRJ1014 said:
u must work there :)

You must have a broken sarcasm meter. ;)

Anyway, it's a natural response of stores to give people a reason why they don't carry something so that they will make another selection from the items on hand.

If they guy told you they aren't good cases when you know they are, it's because he gets verbally bitch-slapped by his bosses if he lets too many potential sales of the products they do have get away. ;)

I used to work at Circuit City, and you won't believe how many retarded customers have come in. Here is one of my favorites...

Retard: Yeah, I was looking at the HP with the AMP processor in it, but my brother tells me that they overheat and are no good.
Me: Well, that's not entirely true. They do run a bit hotter than the Intel processors, but this model performs on par with this Intel model that costs $400 more.
Retard: Well he says they overheat, so I don't want to buy a computer that will catch on fire. My daughter uses them a lot and she could get hurt.
Me: Well if they catch on fire, don't you think they would stop selling them and recall the models?
Retard: *drool forms on his lower lip*
Me: Any other questions?

He proceeded to buy the AMD, and I even suckered him into buying a 4-year service plan in case, by some odd chance it caught on fire, he could get a new one:)

Last time I went to Comp USA, they had a brand new Lian Li PC-65. I guess this is a recent thing... Of course, that trip was to get a 40GB IDE 5600RPM HDD... lol... So, it was a while ago, like a year or so... I dunno about now. Never needed anything from there since then...

I think the real reason that CompUSA stop selling Lian-Li's has to do with the dumping Lian-Li did a couple of years ago. A lot of resellers were burned (especially in Europe) by this so I wouldn't be surprised if resellers like CompUSA would be saying things like that. But I think you guys are right about this just one rep being uninformed.

I am not sure about the newer Lian-Li's, but their cases do tend to discolor a bit (turning slightly brown/yellow) after only about a year of use. Maybe this is what he meant when he said "falling apart?" :p

The last time I went to CUSA was to get a keyboard. This was several months back...

My mom had recently purchased a keyboard to go along with her laptop and the keyboard had USB ports in the backside up near the capslock leds and such. Having several USB devices myself, I thought it'd be pretty handy to nab one for my desktop, you know, for stuff like cameras that aren't plugged in 24/7.

I'm looking through the keyboards and a sales 'guru' walks up to me...

Clerk: Can I help you?
Me: Yes, my mom recently bought a keyboard for her laptop and it has USB ports. I've used it a little myself, and I like it.
Clerk: They only make those for Macs.
Me: I used one that my mom has for her Compaq laptop.
Clerk: Well you must be mistaken then.

Yeah, I just walked out of the store.

The reason our stores stopped carrying them is because our corporate team decided to not allow our region to order any more custom parts. We also signed a new deal with antec carrying most if not all of their new lines.

What you will find in most retail stores is 1 or 2 go-to guys that the rest of the team relies on. I am the one in our Kansas City store... and it does get some customers upset when they get one of my teammembers that decides they would rather make things up than come ask me or google it. Grouping people because of the company they work for does show the rest of us just what you're packing upstairs as well. I challenge any of you to throw down your company and find zero employees there that provide poor customer service.

Another Day, another sales clerk to annoy......

Todays venture- Computer Builder's Wharehouse; Sterling Heights Michigan, hall road and garfield.

Today was an extra special adventure.... i walk in to computer builder's wharehouse, and proceed to look at their laptop selection.......

Clerk: Hi, how are you today!
Me: Hi, I was looking at your laptop computers, and i have a few questions for you.
Clerk: Ok lets see how i can help
Me: cool! alright, i was looking at this 1 with the side cup holder and the flatscreen CRT monitor. *keep in mind im looking at a laptop.. laptops have lcd's*
::Clerk Stops and looks puzzled for a second::
Clerk: Cupholder? ooooh you mean the CD-rom drive.
Me: No i mean the cupholder that comes out if u press on the little button, yeah mine broke when i set my mug on it while browsing the high speed outer net.
Clerk: Well sir, the cd-rom is not a cupholder.
Me: what are you talking about cd-rom?? my computer has a cd-rom? whats that?
Clerk: its what you put cds in to play them on your computer.
Me: ooooooo mines got 1 of those too.. anyway what kinda processor bearings are you using for the cooling of the ram, in this one?
Clerk: well im not too sure hold on let me look it up.
:: goes and looks it up::
Clerk: Im sorry its not showing anything in the deta base of what type it uses.
Me: Oh thats ok, i just called my sister on my cellphone to see what kinda keyboard i should buy with the laptop.
Clerk: Well I would recomend you using a Logitech one
Me: ok ill get one of those when i buy one. Anyway what should i do if the Flux copassitor on the CPU compression regulator goes out?
:: puzzled dumb look on the clerk's face::
Clerk: hold on just a second let me go ask one of the techs, but im sure you can just pick up another one, i believe we have some in stock if that happens.
:: comes back 10 minutes later ::
Clerk: well the tech in the back said you should bring it in and have them run a full diagnostic on the regulators.
*Me trying not to laugh*
Me: well im not going to buy this today, but do you have any manuals on the RHSATX4 triniton master cumbustion Power supply monitors, for a Lian Li 3.5" DC? *3.5' drive cover*
:: clerk walks in back of store and i slip out the front door laughing my ass off. ::

-50000000000000000 Points for Computer builder's wharehouse.

Standings:
Comp usa: -100 points
Computer builder's Wharehouse: -50000000000000000 Points
Microcenter: 0 points ( possibly going there tomarrow )

Tune in next time for a venture to yet another dumb Sales Clerk at a new computer store:
Tomarow's target: MicroCenter
:D :D

tonyou said:
their cases do tend to discolor a bit (turning slightly brown/yellow) after only about a year of use

Had a Lian Li for three years running now and no problem like this at all...

No offense to anyone here but I work at a compusa. It gives me the extra cash I need for going to college. I guarantee you that there are competent employees working there, its just they get the good job of selling computers and not hard drives. Since the majority of people here buy parts they end up talking to the stockers / software rep. A software rep is someone who works there but really knows nothing.

For every incompetent sales rep story you give me, I can give you five stories of idiot customers. I had a lady insist there was an adapter to make her palm pilot work by changing the vga port into a com port. I kindly said there isn't and she wanted to see a manager for me not being helpful. I said there was no need for that and kindly walked her over to the adapter aisle. After a good 2 minute look I told here that we must be out and sent her on her way to radio shack.

Why should I get in trouble for a customers incompetence. So if you walk in looking for new head for your hard drive or a new tail for your mouse I politely ask if your sure thats what you need. If your willing to explain to me what your problem is I can probably help. Otherwise I'll point you to an aisle and say if it's not over there than we don't carry it.

I'll leave you with my favorite customer today:

Customer: “Can you show me the new plasma displays.”
Me: “Sure.” I take him to the plasma area
Customer: With angry look on his face “Whats this?”.

Me: Confused “This is a plasma sir”
Customer: “It looks like a tv to me.”
Me: “Yes, it's a plasma tv.” Saying the words slowly as to allow the words to sink into the customers head.

Customer: “No I want a plasma computer monitor”
Me: “I told him such a thing did not exist.”
Customer: Flipped out as though I had just told him his wife had died “You are the dumbest person I have ever met. These things are thousands of dollars. A plasma costs no where near that.”

Me: “Do you mean a CRT monitor then?”
Customer: “You obviously have no idea what I'm talking about.” Storms off.
Me: “Well at least I can afford a real plasma!”

but i have the right to insult comp usa ppl though. :D I worked at compusa for like a mounth. I had the dumbest manager that didnt know dick about a computer, along with the manager not knowing dick the majority of the sales clerks were complete dumb asses too. :D :D :D after a mounth of having to put up with hasseling customers with warentys and replacement plans i quit.

tonyu, so your saying that aluminum can tarnish??? thats news to me. even when aluminum is heated to excess of 4000 degrees F and melts it does not discolor, nor does it discolor from weathering due to air or even to water, Aluminum does not rust, nor does it tarnish due to normal usage. the way it will tarnsih is that it will develope a white film which easily comes off with a little water.

Ah, CompUSA.. the assholes who told me windows ME was the best thing ever. i told him ME was the most unstable thing ever, stop spreading that shit.

FiZ said:

wrong dude, not alll of them are smart.....i was in a store and a guy was showing off that compaq computer with the wavemaster case.....it got like 1000 3dmarks than mine and i asked why it had a 5950 instead of the 9800xt and he said the 5950 was much better.......n00bsauce

K1NGDEAD said:
people in retail are often stupid... thats why there in retail

i work in retail you know? :p

while i agree, some of the people i have worked with are just beyond clueless... some of the customers are far worse...

one really stands out...

customer: do you have any SCSI zip drives?
me: sorry we only carry the USB versions
customer: thats ok USB and SCSI are the same thing you know, USB is just the external version of SCSI...

i just walked away and ran to the bathroom to cry... ok maybe not cry, but get a few games of solitare on my iPaq while sitting on the throne hehe

ubern00b15 said:
wrong dude, not alll of them are smart.....i was in a store and a guy was showing off that compaq computer with the wavemaster case.....it got like 1000 3dmarks than mine and i asked why it had a 5950 instead of the 9800xt and he said the 5950 was much better.......n00bsauce

he was being sarcastic

no he wasnt, he like opened the case and eeverything and showed me it....i was like dude the ati card is better

FLECOM said:
i work in retail you know? :p

while i agree, some of the people i have worked with are just beyond clueless... some of the customers are far worse...

one really stands out...

customer: do you have any SCSI zip drives?
me: sorry we only carry the USB versions
customer: thats ok USB and SCSI are the same thing you know, USB is just the external version of SCSI...

i just walked away and ran to the bathroom to cry... ok maybe not cry, but get a few games of solitare on my iPaq while sitting on the throne hehe

Classic.

XeRo_Dark said:
tonyu, so your saying that aluminum can tarnish??? thats news to me. even when aluminum is heated to excess of 4000 degrees F and melts it does not discolor, nor does it discolor from weathering due to air or even to water, Aluminum does not rust, nor does it tarnish due to normal usage. the way it will tarnsih is that it will develope a white film which easily comes off with a little water.

It does rust/oxidize. That IS what the "white film" is.

What is most likely the cause of the discoloration is the anodizing. What is great about anodizing is that it accepts pigment. After they dye it they place it in heated water to "seal" the surface. This closes the pores that hold the pigment. My guess is that (especialy with clear/non pigmented anodizing) that the pores do not close completely and small particles can get in, and over time, create a discoloration.

I personally just avoid the floor sales people, and just use em to find where something is quickly. Most of the time they probably don't get paid enough to care if they didn't already care. And if you do find one who mostly knows what he is talking about they generally are pretty opinionated like most people will tend to be (like this forum). It takes looking up a bit higher in those companies to actually see a more professional attitude.

XeRo_Dark said:
Another Day, another sales clerk to annoy......

Todays venture- Computer Builder's Wharehouse; Sterling Heights Michigan, hall road and garfield.

Today was an extra special adventure.... i walk in to computer builder's wharehouse, and proceed to look at their laptop selection.......

Clerk: Hi, how are you today!
Me: Hi, I was looking at your laptop computers, and i have a few questions for you.
Clerk: Ok lets see how i can help
Me: cool! alright, i was looking at this 1 with the side cup holder and the flatscreen CRT monitor. *keep in mind im looking at a laptop.. laptops have lcd's*
::Clerk Stops and looks puzzled for a second::
Clerk: Cupholder? ooooh you mean the CD-rom drive.
Me: No i mean the cupholder that comes out if u press on the little button, yeah mine broke when i set my mug on it while browsing the high speed outer net.
Clerk: Well sir, the cd-rom is not a cupholder.
Me: what are you talking about cd-rom?? my computer has a cd-rom? whats that?
Clerk: its what you put cds in to play them on your computer.
Me: ooooooo mines got 1 of those too.. anyway what kinda processor bearings are you using for the cooling of the ram, in this one?
Clerk: well im not too sure hold on let me look it up.
:: goes and looks it up::
Clerk: Im sorry its not showing anything in the deta base of what type it uses.
Me: Oh thats ok, i just called my sister on my cellphone to see what kinda keyboard i should buy with the laptop.
Clerk: Well I would recomend you using a Logitech one
Me: ok ill get one of those when i buy one. Anyway what should i do if the Flux copassitor on the CPU compression regulator goes out?
:: puzzled dumb look on the clerk's face::
Clerk: hold on just a second let me go ask one of the techs, but im sure you can just pick up another one, i believe we have some in stock if that happens.
:: comes back 10 minutes later ::
Clerk: well the tech in the back said you should bring it in and have them run a full diagnostic on the regulators.
*Me trying not to laugh*
Me: well im not going to buy this today, but do you have any manuals on the RHSATX4 triniton master cumbustion Power supply monitors, for a Lian Li 3.5" DC? *3.5' drive cover*
:: clerk walks in back of store and i slip out the front door laughing my ass off. ::

-50000000000000000 Points for Computer builder's wharehouse.

Standings:
Comp usa: -100 points
Computer builder's Wharehouse: -50000000000000000 Points
Microcenter: 0 points ( possibly going there tomarrow )

Tune in next time for a venture to yet another dumb Sales Clerk at a new computer store:
Tomarow's target: MicroCenter
:D :D

Either (1) He realized you were trying to be a pain in his ass but had nothing better to do. Or (2) He thought you were mentally retarded and was hoping you'd buy the computer anyways.

The reatail places are trying to make a buck like everyone else. If they all hired computer pros they would probably need to be paid more. Sine the retail places make plenty of money with what they have they'll never change.
If I worked at a place and a customer asked me a question I didnt know the answer to I'd make something up in a second...Hell I'd probably be making stuff up just for fun.

ubern00b15 said:
no he wasnt, he like opened the case and eeverything and showed me it....i was like dude the ati card is better

haha... not the salesperson

FiZ was being sarcastic, he even said so, like 3 posts lower

that was a funny little misunderstanding :D

I was a tech at Best Buy and i wasn't computer stupid

come to think of it, i probably had more computer knowledge then all the techs and salespeople combined

:(

Let me guess CompUSA also told you that the Lian-Li's transform into Optumus Prime
after 1 year. :p

tonyou said:
I am not sure about the newer Lian-Li's, but their cases do tend to discolor a bit (turning slightly brown/yellow) after only about a year of use. Maybe this is what he meant when he said "falling apart?" :p

I have a Lian Li, and I haven't noticed any discoloration at all. I remember that the older AT and some ATX cases that were made of plastic would start to discolor after 5 or so years, especially if they were around cigarette smoke, but I don't see why metal would discolor; not saying that you're wrong, but it just seems like an impossibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back