Lian Li A04 - New MicroATX case

Furthermore, the smaller exhaust fan on the back is not really that much of a problem as the two large fans up front will create nice positive pressure in this case.

Are the intake fans filtered?

Check out the link. There's a lot more info on the case there. It shows that the front 120mmx2 fans are filtered. Also, there isn't a smaller back exhaust. There's a top 120mm exhaust. There is a rear grille held on by push pins that looks to be about 80mm in size to me. I'm not going to use it because I prefer positive pressure, but it's nice having the option.

This will be my next case for sure. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

Why not a 120mmm rear?
why not a little more wide?
Why i/o oon the top?

If LL do a solution for this, here there are a buyer.

I also agree, putting an 80mm opening on the rear is very outdated in 2011.
I do like the IO ports on top though, works much better for the setup im thinking of (case will be on the floor). I prefer it that way because there is less noise to the user if it is under a desk rather than right at ear level.

Rear 80mm sucks. Know why?

Mounting a radiator now requires an adapter. Great....

I've been looking for a good mATX case and this is not it. Very generic IMO. Looks like they basically simplified the hell out of a v354 in terms of storage. Everything else is super basic.

im getting sadder by the minute with all the top i/o lian li keeps doing

If you have the case on the floor, I find the IO panel on top much more useful, especially when attaching USB devices. try updating a Garmin with the USB connector on the fotn panel for example, its a PITA.

If you have the case on the floor, I find the IO panel on top much more useful, especially when attaching USB devices. try updating a Garmin with the USB connector on the fotn panel for example, its a PITA.

i dont i just wish they have difference options or something cheaper with no usbs or something, i just like the one piece top look

Don't know if anyone saw, but apparently the PC-A04 has been "released." According to Hardwaresecrets, it should hit by the end of the month (I'm kind of expecting early next month.) and come in at $110 usd. So exciting :)

Edit: Maximum PC is reporting the same thing.

Pricier yes, but you do get the increased drive space, so it may or may not be worth it for some. Not to mention the dual front intakes and the top exhaust coming standard instead of buying another $20 lid or modding it yourself. I did love my 3 A05's though :p

Yeah, I guess in inflation adjusted dollars it's probably cheaper too. I really like the top ports though I would prefer a nice 120mm exhaust in the rear vs a top exhaust that just opens the case to dust falling in. It's a really nice case though, and if I were to build a mATX system today it would probably be in one of these.

I wish I could find out if there is enough room to put a dual rad and single rad in that case.. if so here I come watercooled matx rig.

I don't like the top fan. I'll keep my A05 maybe when they have a perfect case I will replace it.

The A05 the USB/firewire cables are WAY too long, they take up my first 5.25 bay
The A05 PSU on the front is clunky and the power cable is, again, way too long.
The A05 I wish had front USB/sound. I always end up using the USB on my card reader.

Newegg has them now

PC-A04

Hot damn!! Good chance I'll buy one soon. now for some review's.
Actually I just measured My antec lanboy, Roswell ATX CAse's and this isn't much smaller ( 1 inch shorter). I think it would be more shorter with it being M-ITX.

Last edited:
The box looks nicer than the one from my PC-A05B, and it lacks the Engrish, too!

Newegg has them now

PC-A04

:facepalm: I overspent today... So sad now :(

If anyone is interested in grabbing my sugo5 I'd love to sell it :D

Edit: Hehe, should be ordering mine in the morning which means it should be here Thursday if it ships from the california warehouse!!

Last edited:
Alright, my order is in. Anything specific you guys want checked out go ahead and let me know and I'll let you know. First thing to check will be the fitment of a 120mm fan on the back.

Maybe he's seeing if you can modify it to fit one (drill new holes / grill opening)

Hopefully its wide enough to mod a 120mm fan. If so that would certainly boost the case's value and performance. :)

Maybe he's seeing if you can modify it to fit one (drill new holes / grill opening)

Hopefully its wide enough to mod a 120mm fan. If so that would certainly boost the case's value and performance. :)

Exactly. Gonna see if one fits as is or if I'll need to mod the case and/or fan to get one to fit. High cfm intakes and lower cfm exhausts is my goal, but we'll see what happens.

Assuming its wide enough I'm guessing enlarge the blow hole and drill new holes for the fan placement screws. So a drill for the new screw holes and what to use to make blow hole wider/larger? The location makes it a bit harder to work with I'm guessing.

Assuming its wide enough I'm guessing enlarge the blow hole and drill new holes for the fan placement screws. So a drill for the new screw holes and what to use to make blow hole wider/larger? The location makes it a bit harder to work with I'm guessing.

I'm not entirely sure yet. It may be possible to use a hole cutter, but I don't have one available. May just try a jigsaw and work from the exterior.

Edit: Just got mine in and started taking pictures and stuff, but I've got some bad news. 120mm fan will not fit on the back. I'm going to continue taking some shots and swap my parts over and then I'll post my pictures.

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure yet. It may be possible to use a hole cutter, but I don't have one available. May just try a jigsaw and work from the exterior.

Edit: Just got mine in and started taking pictures and stuff, but I've got some bad news. 120mm fan will not fit on the back. I'm going to continue taking some shots and swap my parts over and then I'll post my pictures.

That is a shame. How about a 92mm fan?

A 92mm should fit without an issue. It's only like a 0.5" difference in space and I'm pretty sure it can take 0.25" on each side. I'll double check that though once I get something to measure with tomorrow morning.

Pictures. I'm sorry for the poor quality. My sister just got this camera for christmas and it's unreasonably confusing to use. Not sure where the dslr is :(

First off, extras and exterior. It came with an installation guide describing all the different including hardware, where it was used, etc. and their "catalog" of accessories to choose from.
Lqgt8.jpg

Hardware baggies:
PYSh7.jpg

They listened to the complaints about bright front led's. These are pretty dull and don't really pull your attention to em. They're also smaller for those thinking about swapping em. (Sorry, no shot of them on at the moment.)
bLaTi.jpg

The vent under the psu looks to be about 140mm (estimating, not 100% sure of the size.) Comes with its own filter.
eclFm.jpg

Modified thumbscrews for the side panels now have a little plastic washer, probably to help prevent scratching.
6XdBE.jpg

Top exhaust as seen from the outside. Looks pretty nice imo.
CZocw.jpg

The interior. Fairly standard for previous Lian Li owners. This case is considered tool-less, so 5.25" bays have latches for the drives. HD bays use a wider/flatter type of thumb screw as opposed to the A05's regular screws.
OJJi0.jpg

I have no idea why this next shot keeps uploading with a 90 degree rotation lol... They're the 5.25" bay latches
8oYSV.jpg

Individual hd racks, bottom (came scratched like that :():
iUdlY.jpg

Top:
T3KIu.jpg

My sfx psu hovering in there before I flipped it over :)
nexaV.jpg

Size comparison to a Silverstone Sugo5 and Lian Li 120mm fan.
Front shot:
cuDA2.jpg

Side shot (back edge is lined up across all 3, angle makes it look off.):
lJbte.jpg

Rear 80mm hole checking 120mm. I've got one edge of the fan lined up with the outer edge of the case, the opposite side of the fan extends all the way to the i/o panel of the mobo. Now, it may be possible to cut apart the back of the case and part of the fan in order to get it to fit, but I honestly don't find the outcome to be worth the work at this point.
IRSN7.jpg

rWFR9.jpg

Problem for owners of the Gigabyte H55N-USB3 (and any other board with connections at the top of the board.) You'll notice in these pictures that the top 120mm fan almost sits flush with the mobo. This means you won't be routing your 24pin connector up and over. It was a royal pain getting the front panel connectors behind the mobo and wrapped around there. I also had the HD's sata cable running up and over in the top left corner but soon found that the cable wasn't long enough and had to take it out and relocate it. This could be corrected with a longer cable, but I don't have one at the moment. There's also another small hole up there (above the sata ports) for routing cables.
hSEdf.jpg

Nice feature here. A space up above the 5.25" drive area to route wires.
BJPDm.jpg

Finished assembly (forgot to put the 80mm grill back on). I'm fairly unhappy with the wiring, but it's the best I could do for the time being.
dCfxS.jpg

HD's won't fit if turned around. They extend past the side panel in that orientation. The upper rack has a little lip on the front side so it'll only slide in one way, gonna see if removing that will make a difference tomorrow. Lemme know if you have questions. Anything involving measurements can be answered tomorrow.

Edit: Sitting in the dark now, there's a little bit of light bleed around the top of the 5.25" bay cover. Personally I don't mind too much but I know it bugs other people quite a bit.

Last edited:
Little disappointing to hear about the bad routing possibilities aside from that nice nook in the 5.25" bay.

Yeah, it's a bit disappointing, especially the way this is marketed as being for itx configs.

Back