LG L246W

There is a local retailer that has this recertified for $419 so I am debating whether to try picking one up in the hopes of getting one with no dead pixels....but they have a pretty steep 25% restocking fee.....

I may have been a little harsh...this thing is great but its one shade under the BENQ.

Anyone here who has issues with the LG that it has this cracking/creaking sound which is especially noticable when the monitor is turned of ?

This happens about every 5-10 minutes even when the power cord is not plugged in.

It's seems pretty strange though that this also happens when it is on if the brightness is at 5% but it seems not to happen when it is 20%. But when it's turned off it still makes this cracking/creaking noise.

I wonder what exactly the issue is if its the backlight, psu or some kind of problem with the casing of the monitor as when u press on the casing from the sides of the monitor it also make this cracking/creaking noise.

This is extremely annoying at night when i am trying to sleep and this monitor makes this cracking/creaking sounds for over 2-3 hours at worst and that is even with powercord unplugged.

It went so far that i had to put the monitor in the closet yesterday.

Never had this issue, i would go back and exchange it if you can :confused:

Anyone here who has issues with the LG that it has this cracking/creaking sound which is especially noticable when the monitor is turned of ?

This happens about every 5-10 minutes even when the power cord is not plugged in.

It's seems pretty strange though that this also happens when it is on if the brightness is at 5% but it seems not to happen when it is 20%. But when it's turned off it still makes this cracking/creaking noise.

I wonder what exactly the issue is if its the backlight, psu or some kind of problem with the casing of the monitor as when u press on the casing from the sides of the monitor it also make this cracking/creaking noise.

This is extremely annoying at night when i am trying to sleep and this monitor makes this cracking/creaking sounds for over 2-3 hours at worst and that is even with powercord unplugged.

It went so far that i had to put the monitor in the closet yesterday.

How do I go about stopping banding on this thing? Its slight but what can I do?

Well I tried that...could my video card colors or settings in the nvidia panel affect banding? Like fire places in world of warcraft have square banded lighting...that is what i mean...and you know at the beginning of games when the NVIDIA logo comes up and it pulsates green light around it that pulsating light bands like a bullseye...

$419 with free shipping for a recertified L246WP...it is from a local retailer and they seem to have very good feedback at various review sites...Only real downside is that the warranty goes from 3 years down to 90 days since it is a recertified display...

http://3btech.net/bllgl224wilc.html

Is it normal to have the sides just a extreme slight in brightness when viewing a blackscreen. Only noticable on very dark shades of gray. Almost looks like a slight glare. Really slight. If I move my head to the right or left the area i'm looking at becomes non glare like.

I figure this is just an normal LCD thing. You really have to look for it though. I just got my LG246 yesterday. Was made in april 2007.

No dead pixels. Using dead pixel buddy showing a black display. The sides look around 1% lighter than the center.

I hope this is normal. But when viewing, red green blue screens I cant see any variations in color. Just the black screen and light shades of gray.

Using sRGB mode since that was the only mode where I could get brightness down to 20 without losing contrast. Blacks are great and color is great.

so does anyone still have problems with the monitor not going into sleep mode?

so does anyone still have problems with the monitor not going into sleep mode?

Nah mine goes into sleep mode perfectly. Takes about 2 secs longer than my old monitor to power on again but still not super slow.

The only problem a few seem to have (including me) is the very feint buzzing/humming in sRGB mode. I bought at BB so I think I have the right to return for another one.

well, I just purchased the gateway fhd2400 from bestbuy.com. I figure that if it doesn't work out, then I'll just return it to bestbuy and pick up the LG. My only concern with the LG is that it doesn't have as many inputs as the gateway and that it doesn't do 1:1 via component.

I just got two of these. I love the monitor, but I am trying to get the perfect settings. Current, here is what I've got:

User
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 60
Red: 100
Green: 100
Blue: 100

I find that this makes everything look really nice, vibrant, and a good contrast. Anyone else more successful with other settings?

I recently started using sRGB with brightness at 40.
On USER I used Brightness 60, Contrast 80, RGB 100.

anyone else's monitor have this? The top 1/3 of the screen is pretty warm to touch bottom is a tiny bit warm.

Also is this ok for the monitor or will it have issues due to the heat?

anyone else's monitor have this? The top 1/3 of the screen is pretty warm to touch bottom is a tiny bit warm.

Also is this ok for the monitor or will it have issues due to the heat?

That's normal. No worries.

what's the best setting in nVidia Control Panel"color" to get 9300k color mode?
all what i found is for 6500k!.
i tried to increase the brightness of blue but i can't get the optimum result cause the banding start to appear!.
monitor mode is sRGB.
any one can help me?

Has LG pushed out a newer firmware version/build of this monitor to deal with the overscan issues?

I'm ready to push the button on this monitor but my PS3 will cry because of the overscan :( (poor limited space college student, don't have room for HDTV nor the money, either HDTV or new monitor D: ).

Bought the LG 246WP yesterday and love it. I struggled with the Gateway FPD2485, which had a problem with luminance and sparkle. I tried three of them before giving up.

As a noob, I've read a lot of posts in this forum, which have been helpful to my decision. Just thought I would post what I've expereinced related to certain issues:

1. PC Scaling: 1:1 scaling (not aspect ratio) with PC HDMI doesn't work with my XFX 800GT. Can't set the drive to "Do not scale" in Nvidia control panel. Reported problem, but not acceptable, so I may have to return the card. Aaargggh...

2. PC Gaming: Awesome performance. Can run Bioshock and COH at 1920 x 1200, max settings, and haven't seen any lag.

3. Xbox 360: 1:1 scaling works perfectly over VGA. Gears of War looks great and didn't see any lag. Did have to crank contast, but once I did it looked awesome.

4. forteManager: I downloaded the latest version from the LG global site and it's working perfectly. Seems to be a branded version of Portrait Displays EzTune (just a guess). Works well for gamma calibration and setting color accuracy. May not be as good as colorimeter, but I'm going to work with it for now. Here's the URL: forteManager.

forteManager also retained my custom profile, when switching between VGA and HDMI on the fly. I would expect that, but had to test it.

Anyway, based on my experience I would recommend the LG. Mileage may vary, of course, but in the 24" category it should be on your list.

Apparently this LCD is dead. First of all, it was on the 5th page in the Displays section. Second, I just wasted my night searching for the mythical rev. 2 of this monitor, but I swear it freaking doesn't exist.

I went to 4 Best Buys, Fry's, and Office Depot.
Best Buy #1: 1 rev. 1 701
Best Buy #2: 1 rev. 1 705
Best Buy #3: 1 rev. 1 705
Best Buy #4: none
Office Depot: none
Fry's: all rev. 1s: 701,702,703,704

Does anyone in this forum actually have one of these rev. 2 710s I heard of actually in their possession?

Apparently this LCD is dead. First of all, it was on the 5th page in the Displays section. Second, I just wasted my night searching for the mythical rev. 2 of this monitor, but I swear it freaking doesn't exist.

I went to 4 Best Buys, Fry's, and Office Depot.
Best Buy #1: 1 rev. 1 701
Best Buy #2: 1 rev. 1 705
Best Buy #3: 1 rev. 1 705
Best Buy #4: none
Office Depot: none
Fry's: all rev. 1s: 701,702,703,704

Does anyone in this forum actually have one of these rev. 2 710s I heard of actually in their possession?

I just got two from Best Buy, and they are both Revision 704. I like them, :p

I just got two from Best Buy, and they are both Revision 704. I like them, :p

The overscan is the only issue that bothers me. I actually haven't tried one, but after reading this thread it seems as though it will cut off the edges of my 1080i video signal coming from my HD-DVD player, which is a no no.

My LG246 did wake properly from power save mode under my old PC (win XP, 7800GT). Now I upgraded to Windows Vistax64 and 8800GT and it seems it does not wake up from power saving mode when I turn my computer on/off.

Any suggestions? Not sure if it is something caused by the vid card or what.

Thanks

I guess I will buy this monitor from Best Buy to compare it side by side to my FHD2400.

Here's what I assume I will find...

246wp ($540) will have...
1. Better viewing angles.
2. Better color accuracy and gradients.
3. Less backlight bleed.

FHD2400 ($495) will have...
1. More inputs (S-video, Composite, DVI).
2. Faster response time in games.
3. Better contrast and more vibrant colors.

I'm still waiting for the best setting in nVidia Control Panel"color" to get 9300k in sRGB mode?
any help :eek:

You can't do PIP with component as the main input, but if HDMI is the main input, component can be the PIP.

Thanks for the response. Not sure I completely understand this. If I connect my PC using the HDMI (using a DVI converter) and connect my surround sound system which is my switch (XBOX 360, DVD Player, Cable TV) using component video out will I be able to do PIP and switch between them. Or are you saying that the PC will always have to be the background and the PIP window will always have to be the component video?

This is going to be on sale at Best Buy for $450 this Sunday. I'd pick one up if it wasn't for the overscan issue.

This is going to be on sale at Best Buy for $450 this Sunday. I'd pick one up if it wasn't for the overscan issue.

Source? Do we need a coupon? I'll probably just buy it so I can compare it to my FHD2400 and then take it back. I'm betting the overscan issue is what kills it for me also.

Are we sure that the overscan is in the monitor?

Leaving the monitor settings alone I can switch HDMI via external switch box from my PC to the PS3. PC, no overscan. PS3 ~ 5% overscan.

Are we sure that the overscan is in the monitor?

Leaving the monitor settings alone I can switch HDMI via external switch box from my PC to the PS3. PC, no overscan. PS3 ~ 5% overscan.

Since so many monitors have the overscan problem over HDMI, it could be a problem with the HDMI spec instead of this monitor itself. However, that doesn't change the fact that on other monitors I can just plug my HD-DVD player in via DVI and get no overscan problems. This monitor has no DVI input. Bad idea.

Ok.
can i ask what's the best Hardware calibration that works good with this lcd in sRGB mode?
and does it worth?
hope it does not cost that much.

I finally got to look at an L246WP at Best Buy this weekend. I walked in with the intention of buying one before the sale. This monitor was sitting side by side with the Sansung 245BW. I was suprised at the comparison, as I was expecting a non-TN panel to be superior. What I observed:

1) LG not as bright as the Samsung, and colors not as crisp.
2) Turning up the brightness on the LG to match the Samsung, washed out the colors.
3) Samsung colors were deeper.

My question: Are the in store VGA setups cheating the quality on the monitors to the point that they will compare poorly unless pumped through DVI?

I walked away without buying one. I was also a little spooked by this review I read:
http://www.bexox.com/showdown.htm
The LG did poorly with a Toshiba A2 - a player I own.

I finally got to look at an L246WP at Best Buy this weekend. I walked in with the intention of buying one before the sale. This monitor was sitting side by side with the Sansung 245BW. I was suprised at the comparison, as I was expecting a non-TN panel to be superior. What I observed:

2) Turning up the brightness on the LG to match the Samsung, washed out the colors.

My question: Are the in store VGA setups cheating the quality on the monitors to the point that they will compare poorly unless pumped through DVI?

I walked away without buying one. I was also a little spooked by this review I read:

The LG works flawlessly with my HD-A2. Read this thread though: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1252984

That's funny, I have both of them sitting side by side right now :D

In store displays are usually pretty crappy representations of monitors.

Back