LG L246W

I didn't have the problem until I upgraded to a GTX 260. My 8800 GTS never had this problem, although it would never allow NVIDIA's aspect scaling for some reason. The GTX 260 does.

I have 59hz with win7 nvidia gtx 260 after doing the install hack. I can't seem to get the refresh rate at 60hz. Anyone have any fix, thx.

I have 59hz with win7 nvidia gtx 260 after doing the install hack. I can't seem to get the refresh rate at 60hz. Anyone have any fix, thx.
I think it's a control panel bug. If you press the ok/auto button on the monitor it shows it running at 60Hz. There's also a bug with NVIDIA Aspect Scaling. When you select it and then apply it, it reverts back to the display scaling. But when you run a game at say 1600x1200, it scales properly with black bars on the sides.

so after a couple of hours, i (thankfully) ran across this thread. after attempting to get instructions for earlier versions of the NVidia drivers to work i got nowhere. eventually i read the entire thread and discovered the solution for the latest driver set at the time of this post (6.14.11.8585).

thanks to everyone that posted, i hope my .inf file will save someone else much time.

long story short:
i'm running Windows XP Home (32 bit).
intel quad core and intel motherboard (DQ45CB).
i have an LG L246WP flat screen monitor with an HDMI input (no DVI)
my previous card (NVidia 6500) works fine with latest drivers and the DVI to HDMI cable.
i put in a brand new EVGA 9800 GTX+, i grabbed the latest drivers from NVidia (versian 6.14.11.8585).

the 9800 card works before i install NVidia drivers.

after installing the drivers, BAM, the screen is wacky, colors are weird, entire desktop is shifted over to the left, parts of the desktop i can't even see, start button is off screen to the left. The ONLY resolution that fits correctly on the screen is 1024x768. Bullshit.

It turns out (thanks again to this thread) that it is an issue with EDID. basically the NVidia drivers think my monitor is a TV.

The modified .inf file i posted fixes the issue for my system.
i installed the 6.14.11.8585 NVidia drivers (they have a archive for older drivers if a new one comes out).
Uninstall the NVidia drivers, you can do this under Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
Copy over the nv4_disp.inf in the NVidia installation directory with the one i posted.
Install again and hope it works. It did for me, finally.
All the knowledge for this fix came from this thread (http://hardforum.com).

Ok, if you don't have my EXACT brand of LG Monitor, then you will need get your EDID (4 bytes).
there are special programs that do this.
i got mine from Monitor Asset Manager (a free download, http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm).
In the Raw Data byte dump it will be bytes 8-11. It will be the first 4 bytes second row in Monitor Asset Manager.
This thread covers how to get those unique four bytes in great detail.
For my LG L246WP monitor it happens to be 1E 6D 3F 56.
The section that seems to matter most for 6.14.11.8585 is the [nv_commonRestrictionsAndTiming_addreg] section.
to this section i added:
HKR,,OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, 1E,6D,3F,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00
Notice 1E,6D,3F,56 came from Monitor Asset Manager.

If you have a different monitor and you know those bytes, you need to modify nv4_disp.inf. Just search for 1E,6D,3F,56 and replace your bytes.

It should be noted that i marked up my modified .inf file with some "failed" attempts but i sick of fucking with it. It works for me. I hope it works for you.

right click and save as, over top of your existing nv4_disp.inf.
mine was in C:\NVIDIA\WinXP\185.85\English
http://irdbisa.dreamhosters.com/nvidiasucks/nv4_disp.inf

thank you thank you thank you again guys, if it weren't for you my 9800 would on it way back to newegg or in the trashcan. nvidia support sucks.

Last edited:
Just installed the 186.18 drivers for 64 bit Windows 7 released today--same problem. Inserted the code under [nv_commonRestrictionsAndTiming_addreg] in the NV_DISP.inf file. Reinstall, everything's fine again.

Code reminder:

Code:
HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, 1E,6D,24,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00

I just installed the 186.18_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql drivers. Inserted the code under [nv_commonRestrictionsAndTiming_addreg] in the NV_DISP.inf file and everything is fine. I hhad the 59 Hz issue in the driver version just before these. I resolution would drop down on me too. This is in Vista 64 still.

F$CK YAH! This wasted the last two nights on my life!!!!

I did what Aviator did, and it WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God damn, thanks HF!!! I was on the wrong forum, the NVIDIA one, and they couldnt help, but we're cookin now!!!!

P.s - The phoenix monitor EDID utility gave me the WRONG data, the MONINFO util gave me a similar one, but there was one digit difference (a 24 instead of a 23). I have no idea how it could do that, but now it works. thanks men!!!!!

So, after two years of ownership, and atleast 6000 hours on the monitor, im still as happy as ever, apart from a few small annoyances....

One of the CCFL's are getting weaker, takes 5-10 minutes for it to warm up properly and give full brightness.

And I have image retaining, or "burn in" if i leave stuff on for a while, very annoying...has anyone else experienced that?

We need to keep this thread going for all the Nvidia drivers released until there is a permanant fix from either Nvidia or LG anyway. :rolleyes:

I am sure it will pick up pace again when Windows 7 RTM's.

I doubt it considering they didn't feel the need to fix this in Vista.. It's not properly working with Win7 RC either. (Haven't tried the workaround yet).. Been using my HDTV as a monitor since this cropped up.

The Monitor workaround doesn't seem to work with the New Nvidia Drivers 190.38Whql Released today, well in Windows 7 RC atleast.
I think this might need a new workaround as when i start the install then cancel it then go into the Nvidia folder to edit the nv Disp file, the nvfile Disp or any other files don't exist?. :confused::eek:

The Monitor workaround doesn't seem to work with the New Nvidia Drivers 190.38Whql Released today, well in Windows 7 RC atleast.
I think this might need a new workaround as when i start the install then cancel it then go into the Nvidia folder to edit the nv Disp file, the nvfile Disp or any other files don't exist?. :confused::eek:

Really, I have gone to a point with the LG monitor unless it is absolutely necessary I am not upgrading video drivers. More hassle than it's worth...

I haven't experience that yet Wibla but unlike the Dell 23-inch TN panel monitor here at work. I've notice that the LG gives off tons of heat, not just recently since I owned it. So I was always afraid that I would either get retina burn or have the monitor get burn-in. Now I know.

Plus I also use a Mac Mini, which the latest and "greatest" OS 10.5.7 has screwed up my resolution, it doesn't recognize my 1200 screen only to 1080. Ugh. I had to downgrade back to 10.5.6 to get it working.

I am thinking of upgrading once Windows 7 becomes official, maybe a monitor with HDMI and DVI. I want a more recent monitor but there haven't been any good non-TN panel monitors lately. Oh well.

Yea, my monitor is also putting out a quite considerable amount of heat... alot more than the 22" iiyama TN i have next to it.

Edit: quick measurement with a multimeter using a temp probe..

LG: 36C surface temp
Iiyama: 28C surface temp
Ambient: 24C

Last edited:

I can confirm that the new drivers do not work with the INF fix, but the registry fix still works.

I just did the workaround with the newest release drivers (190.38). You have to keep the driver install open the whole time with the new drivers. After the files extract, find the nvdisp.inf file in the directory that it tells you its saving it in, then edit the file.

I just did the workaround with the newest release drivers (190.38). You have to keep the driver install open the whole time with the new drivers. After the files extract, find the nvdisp.inf file in the directory that it tells you its saving it in, then edit the file.

Yes this new workaround works a treat thnx.

But i am still stuck on 59Hz, everytime i change it to 60Hz press Apply it reverts back to 59Hz?.:confused:

I am selling my L246-WP in case anyone is interested in getting one (or another for a dual setup).

Hey guys, what's the new fix?

I tried the EDID regedit fix that worked for the last WHQL but it didn't work for me this version. I hate this. The scaling options are gone completely from the revamped screen control panel.

So, after two years of ownership, and atleast 6000 hours on the monitor, im still as happy as ever, apart from a few small annoyances....

One of the CCFL's are getting weaker, takes 5-10 minutes for it to warm up properly and give full brightness.

And I have image retaining, or "burn in" if i leave stuff on for a while, very annoying...has anyone else experienced that?

I've also owned my monitor for two years and just recently noticed some image retention as well. What fixed it for me was switching from sRGB mode to user mode.

I'm pretty much still happy with the monitor as well, my annoyances are two stuck pixels that developed after about one year, it didn't have any dead/stuck pixels when I first got it.

Has anyone else got a GTX 275 upwards?, as the workaround for my GTS 250 worked ok, but now with my GTX 275 it's changed again, now i have to wait for Windows to install update(not from windows update) from the taskbar, then extract drivers, well you know the rest, if i don't do it that way the install fails. :confused:

I just cannot get mine to change. I followed the instructions, edited the .inf file rebooted and it still goes to the left. WTF.

I installed Win7 RTM 64 bit last night. I installed the 190.38 drivers the same way I did for Vista and had no issues installing them at all. I do suffer from the 59 Hz bug though. But, it doesn't seem to be causing any ill effect.

I installed Win7 RTM 64 bit last night. I installed the 190.38 drivers the same way I did for Vista and had no issues installing them at all. I do suffer from the 59 Hz bug though. But, it doesn't seem to be causing any ill effect.

Well, how things are different in Os's.
I after the trouble i had with windows 7 drivers, installed Vista 64-bit without a hitch, and now i have full 60hz, i give up, "Medic". :confused::mad::rolleyes:

just want to say a huge thank you. i just upgraded to an EVGA GTX 275 and had this problem. your instructions fixed it perfectly and btw i am using WIN XP PRO 32bit so for anyone else who has this problem this is the easiest solution. :)

Hi I am having this EDID PC/Video mixup problem exactly like you NVIDIA folks, except mine is with an ATI-powered laptop. (Radeon X1200) and I'm on 32-bit Win7.

When the system boots up, everything is great, and the monitor shows PC resolutions. When windows loads, the monitor goes nuts, overscans like crazy, and pushed the whole display left and up. The monitor shows 720p or 480i or something and windows claims it's sending 1920x1200. I've tried the registry fix, but it's not working.

I am having a very similar problem, installed a GTX 275 MSI TwinFrozr and everytime I put Nvidia or other than default Windows XP Pro 32bit driver on there it pushes my screen to the left...tried dropping int he inf as many way as I can think, what should I do?

190.62 also works with the method most recently described. Here are the steps that worked for me for my GTX 275.

1. Start the driver install.
2. Choose the location of where you will extract the files.
3. After the extraction is complete go to that directory and modify the NV_DISP.inf file by adding the following under nv_commonRestrictionsAndTiming_addreg:
HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, 1E,6D,3F,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00
HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags1, %REG_BINARY%, 1E,6D,3F,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00
4. Continue the install.
5. Select no to the popup window you get during the install that asks you if you want to restart if you get it. I am not sure why I got that pop up.
6. At the end of the install select yes to restart your computer and it will come up correctly without the notorious shift to the left.

Anyone have the W2452TX-PF, any feedback?, there is no reviews out there.

Does it make a buzzing noise

I got the Ati HD 5870 and the problem with my monitor pushing off the screen is gone. Goodbye Nvidia, not sure I will buy from you again.

Anybody have a fix for ATI video cards, particularly 4870? I have a Sapphire 4870 video card, and am experiencing the same issues people are having with Nvidia cards on the HDMI port. The DVI port on my card works fine, but not the HDMI. If you're wondering, I'm trying to get dual monitors(both being LG 246W) to work with this card with no luck. Operating system is Win7.

Just wanted to report this method worked for me, I have a GTX 260 and just installed windows 7 RTM with Nvidia 191.07 driver. Was starting to get really pissed off then I found this thread! :)

190.62 also works with the method most recently described. Here are the steps that worked for me for my GTX 275.

1. Start the driver install.
2. Choose the location of where you will extract the files.
3. After the extraction is complete go to that directory and modify the NV_DISP.inf file by adding the following under nv_commonRestrictionsAndTiming_addreg:
HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, 1E,6D,3F,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00
HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags1, %REG_BINARY%, 1E,6D,3F,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00
4. Continue the install.
5. Select no to the popup window you get during the install that asks you if you want to restart if you get it. I am not sure why I got that pop up.
6. At the end of the install select yes to restart your computer and it will come up correctly without the notorious shift to the left.

Same as above post...Got it working using this method. It is definitely a rush of red frustration when I fear that my monitor won't work properly with the new video card I jsut purchased!!!

Thanks to this thread I know have a usable display in HDMI connection mode after almost a year.
Prior to upgrading to my GTX285 last spring when my trusty 8800GTX died this LG montitor worked
fine when hooked up via HDMI. Since that fateful 'upgrade' I was stuck in VGA analog mode.

I'd add to the above in case others having problems finding the relevent secition in that nv_disp.inf file that
[nv_commonRestrictionsAndTiming_addreg]

section is in [ ] brackets. Easier to search for if you paste and search with the brackets .

Thanks for the fix guys.
Now I have no need to blow cash on another monitor!

Back