LG L204WT: 5ms and 2000:1 contrast

The manual tells you how... but I think it's pretty much brute force. On the bright side for this monitor, if you don't like the stand you can always just buy a decent arm and attach it to the VESA mount.

Just received mine. I was thinking about getting a 22" monitor, but they are too big. I accessed the advanced settings menu and noticed that my monitor says "LPL20.WIDE". Some poeple on this board have "CPT20.WIDE". I can set my panel to either one, but not sure which one is better.

slumpey said:
Just received mine. I was thinking about getting a 22" monitor, but they are too big. I accessed the advanced settings menu and noticed that my monitor says "LPL20.WIDE". Some poeple on this board have "CPT20.WIDE". I can set my panel to either one, but not sure which one is better.

Mine came with CPT. Didn't noticed any difference.

I;ve respond you more detailed on another forum. Check out here.
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=75609#75609

whats the best calibration setting for this monitor?

did u install the drivers that came on the CD?

And also, where should I put my center speaker?

im000348mo8.jpg

Psychotext said:
The manual tells you how... but I think it's pretty much brute force. On the bright side for this monitor, if you don't like the stand you can always just buy a decent arm and attach it to the VESA mount.
I read every page of the manual (all 2 of them!) and found no mention of this. How do I do it without breaking the stem piece?

Hi, this is my LG L204WT:

This blu "effect" on the bottom of the screen it's normal!? :(
I see it with very dark or black "scene".
It's very annoyng... Can I go to Assistance LG?

Thank you!

Backlight bleed... I don't know - that doesn't look too bad to me. I've certainly seen much worse on other LCDs.

deekayex said:
I read every page of the manual (all 2 of them!) and found no mention of this. How do I do it without breaking the stem piece?
Try the manual on the LG website. I know mine had instructions on it but I wouldn't like to try and tell you how to do it just in case!

psychok9 said:
Hi, this is my LG L204WT:

This blu "effect" on the bottom of the screen it's normal!? :(
I see it with very dark or black "scene".
It's very annoyng... Can I go to Assistance LG?

Thank you!

It's ok that blue ... it's not too annoying ... as someone else said, I've saw worse on other monitors.

If you have a bluish tint in desktop and applications, you should tweak a little bit the service menu. If you are intereseted contact me. Also it will be good if ou can post your service menu settings or a screenshot.

Psychotext said:
Try the manual on the LG website. I know mine had instructions on it but I wouldn't like to try and tell you how to do it just in case!
Ok, thanks. I managed to pry the SOB off.

Originally Posted by Planettera
NOTE: I used a gold plated DVI-D 24AWG Cable. I have not decided which one I should keep and which one to return. Although I am aiming towards keeping the LG, but its not certain.
which one have you chosen to keep?

blighter said:
which one have you chosen to keep?

I'm a picky one. I returned the Samsung 205BW and kept the LG 204WT, becuase although the colors were better on the Samsung, I like the sharper, morecrisp images, and the black and white of the LG which I think makes the images look much better in every aspect.

However, now I'm returning the LG and getting the Samsung 215T. I heard it top both these LCD's and after some lab testing, it performed better then most 20" LCD out there. Hope I won't be disappointed. I founded for $440 with 30 day no questions asked return policy.

Is the HD-DVD player worth getting for the 360 on this monitor? Also another questions. 1080p is superior to 720p but is the difference so noticeable on such a small screen?

Mysticode said:
Planettera, I found a really good review of the 215T for you, thought you might be interested in reading it before purchasing.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=1852519

Question for others: Is it true that the PIP does not work with D-SUB connector?

Thanks a lot Mysticode. I was trying to find a decent review of this monitor. Looks like other owners of the 215TW has the same opinion of this monitor as I do. It has bee a week that I've been using it, and all I can say is I love it. This was definitely the right choice for me. Trying out Samsung 205BW, LG T204WT, and Samsung 215TW, the 215TW is superior to other two. However, 8ms response time is what gives, comparing it to LG 204WT 5ms response time.

I got my new L204WT 04/12/06. picked it up from store. went home, unpacked asambled it nad puged on my pc with DVI. powered up my pc loaded drivers for the monitor.All done.

But i noticed that the top of the screen had more intence coulors then on the bottum, where the colors seemed to be washed out. I i started to search on net for some progies that would help me finetune the coulors on my monitor. Tbh i was shocked of this " problem" cause it was to intence . to give you a hint : on upper part of screen red was red, on the buttom red was orange !!! on a black to white pic that was used by o program. on the top of the screen the black was moving till the midle of the scren and then started to fade to white.That time i was using a ati 9800pro and a frient of mine gave me his older Nvidia7800GS. the problem was still there. I removed the coulor prifile from windows. problem was still there. Changed the cable to simple VGA. problem was still there !!!!

Phoned the LG servise department here in my town in greece. Explaned the problem and i got a replacement in 1 day by courier.
New monitor had the same problem but not so intence. It had also 3 bad pixels.i kept the screen for 3 days to test it more . Like temperature in my room, how long the monitore was opereting and so on but still na changes. Last step i took was asking a friend of mine to pring his case and try it on his system. quess what . problem was still there.
Packed my monitor and drove to the service department sto show them the problem.
we checked my old screenthat was still there for testing, a screen from the showcase and a screen that was sealed . All hade the same problem some intence some not so intence.
I even checked the monitor that the owned of the shop had in his office and was one of the first monitored that were delivered and yeah ... same problem . All the monitores we looked were L204WT. I was going nuts thinking "what the hell is going on here ?cant be a faulti shipment cause we checked new and old monitors !!!" We tryesd also a 19" LG screen not widescreen and once again .. it had the same problem !!!.

i got my fist screen back witch had no pixel problem and it seems the service had made some settings and the problem was not so intence but stil remains. i will get used to it tbh but the strange thing is that before i got my L204WT noone on net sayed anyting about this "problem" . Dindt any of you ownes of a L204WT notice that or is it a axceptable "problem " for all FTF monitors ?

Sorry about my bad english but hope you will understand what the problem is. I dont think there is any solution on this problem.This post was more made to get an answer if this is a problem that i had no cleu i would come accros when i jumped from CRT to FTF. and tbh i would likely spent my 340 euro on a crt than on a "problematic" FTF.

(copied from my post in the 940bw thread. just desperate for some help)
hey guys, i'm having a bit of a problem choosing between monitors.
I just got a samsung 19inch 941BW for christmas today.. but i found out my mom bought it before it was on sale ($199cdn on sale but she paid $260 for it).. so im wondering if i should keep it or trade it in and pay the extra $30 to go to a 20.1inch LG (L204WT) 2000:1 contrast (allegedly) and 1680 vs this monitors 1440
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...10075693&catid=
i do a lot of video editing and this will be my first LCD ever.. its replacing my dual 19inch crt's (NEC MultiSync 95's)
bigger is usually better and the higher resolution would be good for editing im thinking..
but i dont think my system can handle the native resolution for gaming to be sure.
for reference my system specs are as follows:
A64 X2 3800+ S939 (stock speed.. had it up to 2.7 but had no reason to keep it there)
2GB pc3200 dual channel stock speed (mix between kingston hyperx pc3500 and corsair valueram pc3200)
XFX 7600GT 256MB XXX Edition PCI-E 'stock' overclock speeds.
1.3TB hardrive space blah blah blah useless for this thread info

anyways, right now i play a lot of games at 1360x1024 or 1280x960.. could probablly go higher but i like to keep my refresh rate at 85hz or higher if i can and thats all my crappy crt's can go. since this isnt a problem on LCDs i figure 1440 wouldnt be much of a problem.. but 1680 much likely would be.

any thoughts? i heard LG was supposed to be pretty respectable when it comes to LCD's these days.. and higher contrast ratio has to be better even if its fake, doesnt it?
ill try not to spam this post but i have to leave town soon and if im gonna return this one i have to do it within two days
thanks guys

ya man it will be my first flat panel as well. even with the price difference here in the us i believe the lg's 8 bit panel and fantabulous reviews mean that's the one im going to spring for. i wish i could get it in black and i am going to wait until jan. to see what's up with the 22 incher but im pretty sure ill end up with that one or the 204. look at the amount of views in this thread and the posts, this really looks like a winner at it's price point.

I bought L204WT last week, and I am very happy with it. The blacks are really really black, contrast is great, and ghosting is not existent. I worked in a photoshop for a while, and it did fine there too. I have like half an inch backlight bleed from top, which is not noticable, and I barely noticed it when I turned off all lights. So overall, this is an excellent value at $335. :)

I had problem with ATI not wanting to scale the games that won't support WS, and setting up bf2 was a bitch. Stretched game didn't look bad, but I like my circles to be circles, not ovals, and squares to be squares, not rectangles. Finally I figured ATI scaling only seems to work on 1360 x 1024 which is cool because I barely have any black bars at the top. I originally wanted to run bf2 at 1280 x 1024, but 1360 x 1024 is much better since it's 4:3 instead of 5:4 so it's less boxy. Overall, I'm very impressed with this monitor. This is my first LCD, and so far I think good of LG. :p

zipper0 said:
I bought L204WT last week, and I am very happy with it. The blacks are really really black, contrast is great, and ghosting is not existent. I worked in a photoshop for a while, and it did fine there too. I have like half an inch backlight bleed from top, which is not noticable, and I barely noticed it when I turned off all lights. So overall, this is an excellent value at $335. :)

I had problem with ATI not wanting to scale the games that won't support WS, and setting up bf2 was a bitch. Stretched game didn't look bad, but I like my circles to be circles, not ovals, and squares to be squares, not rectangles. Finally I figured ATI scaling only seems to work on 1360 x 1024 which is cool because I barely have any black bars at the top. I originally wanted to run bf2 at 1280 x 1024, but 1360 x 1024 is much better since it's 4:3 instead of 5:4 so it's less boxy. Overall, I'm very impressed with this monitor. This is my first LCD, and so far I think good of LG. :p

cool! does anyone know if nvidia has these problems at all?

i just got my L204 today, my first lcd ever. It replaced my 14inch daytek which i used for over 10 years

so far loving it right now, very nice but i need to calibrate it

[Admiral] said:
cool! does anyone know if nvidia has these problems at all?

As far as I know, nVidia drivers are alot better at scaling than ATi, so you shouldn't have any problems. Well now since I know ATI can indeed scale at 1380 x 1024, I can play more games fine without stretching, that is of course if WS isn't supported by the game. ;)

sweet.
i read somewhere that there was an option in the panels menu to enable/disable 1:1 pixel scaling (so in effect if you were viewing say 1024x768 there'd be tons of black around it but itd be viewed in 'native res' kinda).. but in this forum been reading that it DOESNT have this option.. which is the case?

This LG monitor definitely doesn't have built in scaling. Dell monitors usually have scaling built in though. :( Oh well, software scaling works fine too.

Picked up this monitor brand new today at Futureshop for 299+tx CDN (got it for 265+tx CDN with my Best Buy employee discount). This is the first LCD I've bought. I've upgraded from a 7 year old 17" Compaq CRT monitor. This monitor is fantastic. Haven't tried it on any games yet, but so far it's a champ.

DuffMan72 said:
Picked up this monitor brand new today at Futureshop for 299+tx CDN (got it for 265+tx CDN with my Best Buy employee discount). This is the first LCD I've bought. I've upgraded from a 7 year old 17" Compaq CRT monitor. This monitor is fantastic. Haven't tried it on any games yet, but so far it's a champ.

yeah i got mine for futureshop as well for $300. Excellent monitor, defiantly better than my last but if u think 7 years is long, i was using a daytek 14 inch crt for 11 years. It went through 3 computers and the only reason i replaced it was becasue it was physically getteing worse. Color was off ect

Im having a problem with this monitor, dvd dont look good, too dark but everything else is ok :) ONline videos are fine, ect.

you could adjust the settings in the dvd software you're using. every player that i know has some sort of basic 'brightness/contrast/tint/hue/saturation/etc/etc' sliders somewhere you can use to tweak the dvd playback.

sad to hear about the lack of scaling but its not a big deal for me ill most likely be running it at native res as much as possible anyway.

thehype2049 said:
yeah i got mine for futureshop as well for $300. Excellent monitor, defiantly better than my last but if u think 7 years is long, i was using a daytek 14 inch crt for 11 years. It went through 3 computers and the only reason i replaced it was becasue it was physically getteing worse. Color was off ect

Im having a problem with this monitor, dvd dont look good, too dark but everything else is ok :) ONline videos are fine, ect.
I'll test DVD video shortly. I'm using the monitor on my older computer for now, which doesn't have a DVD player. Perhaps the dark video is a software issue rather than a hardware issue?

Edit: My old CRT was showing reds as purple. Blurry text at anything over 1024x768. I decided to spoil myself with this monitor :)

how does this monitor compare to the other ones out there? it seems to be rockin in all aspects except its not black. i ask because im on the fence trying to decide between this one, the 941bw, 2007fpw and the 22 incher coming out. im really confused lol

Edit: My old CRT was showing reds as purple. Blurry text at anything over 1024x768. I decided to spoil myself with this monitor :)[/QUOTE]

yeah i know how u fell LOL, my old crt was lacking red's and purples as well. But that monitor lasted more than anything else in my entire house. Im ususally happy with my purchases. Back in 1987, i bought a then $2000 sony 27inch tv, which lasted me until 2 years now. So for 19 years, pretty amazing, still good quality, beats most crt's to this day. Definatly a worthy purchase now that i think about it.

Iv been testing video's on the 204, i have a few riped dvd's on my system and they seem fine, its just when playing from a dvd directly are they too dark. Ill do some more testing

Miami_Fly_Guy said:
how does this monitor compare to the other ones out there? it seems to be rockin in all aspects except its not black. i ask because im on the fence trying to decide between this one, the 941bw, 2007fpw and the 22 incher coming out. im really confused lol

Well the only thing this monitor isn't good at is viewing angle, like every TN panel, when you look at extreme angles, the screen obviously isn't nearly as good as MVA, PVA, IPS, and all those others. So I guess if that would bother you, Dell is probably best at this sort of thing. As far as colors, and black shades go, this monitor rocks. Response time is also great as you'll never see any ghosting with this thing. I've played bf2 on smaller maps with faster action, and haven't noticed ghosting once. I also switched to movie mode for bf2 for a while, colors and shaders looked very cool, but for some reason normal view looks best for me.

Also I'm not familiar if those two others have backlight bleed, but LG has very very low backlight bleed, and for me it's only about half an inch from the top. It is barely noticable in 100% dark room, so I might as well consider it non-existent. :p

This monitor is starting to annoy me. Everything is so dark but at the same time the really bright things are WAY to bright. It completely overwhelms everything with brights. A good example is Battlefield 2. I'll be flying in a helicopter and theres no way in hell I can see my cross hair in the sky to shoot down another helicopter. This was not a problem with my other monitor on the same GFX card.

I was wondering if anyone had a good monitor Brightness / Contrast / Gamma setting for games. If you have an nvidia card( 8800 GTX) could you also tell me what your Brightness / Contrast / Gamma settings are in the drivers to also work well with the monitor settings?

hey guys, so i did end up going with this monitor (LG L204WT).. so far so good.
having a weird problem with the mouse.. it seems sorta jumpy. raising the mouse speed to max helps.. this isnt 'input lag' is it? ill try different mouse drivers or something right now im just using windows default.
anyway ran a quick dead pixel test and didnt see any so yay :)

I got my L204WT today, it's my 1st lcd, upgraded from a 17" CRT.

First impressions after a few hours of use and calibrating it as best as I could:

- It buzzes :mad: I could swear it didn't buzz on the first hour of use, or maybe I wasn't tuned into it. Now I can easily pick up the buzz over the pc fans. It only buzzes when there's a signal from the graphics card (blue light), otherwise it doesn't. Is this buzzing something that goes away with time?

- The bottom half of the monitor is brighter than the top half. This it's not too dramatic but it's noticeable. It's particularly noticeable on a single color desktop background. Strangely I don't notice this when seeing each of the colors in Dead Pixel Buddy. :confused: I don't know if this is a symptom of all TN LCD's, I've played with a couple TN's before and didn't notice this. It may be just the poor vertical viewing angle of this panel, but I suspect it has something to do with the backlight bleeding, because...

- on a completly black screen (dead pixel buddy) there's a faint strip of bleeding at the top and pretty much the whole bottom half is actually brighter than the top bleeding. There's also two very faint vertical lines of 'bleeding' in the middle, I guess that's where the CCFL's are? On a black background the whole screen is a mess anyway, it's more a medium to dark grey than black really, and the color shifting when you move around just makes it even brighter.

So far I'm not impressed at all, or maybe I was just expecting too much for 300€... this monitor does have it's strong points, it's sharp, there's no ghosting from the little gaming I tested and it doesn't have dead pixels.

I'm gonna turn this off and get some sleep, maybe it'll be better tomorrow. :(

Back