LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray/HD DVD Combo 272.28+shipping

pants55

Weaksauce
LG GGC-H20L Super Multi Blue Combo Blu-Ray/HD DVD Combo from NCIXUS.com

Edit: Looks like this isn't in stock but will be this coming Friday (10/19).

MSRP was supposed to be around $400, NCIXUS has it for 274.92 + 9.99 Shipping.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/index.php?sku=26553

This is a combo Blu-Ray/HD DVD combo SATA PC drive.

From the site:

The unit operates at BD-ROM/R 6X, BD-ROM/R DL at 4.8X, BD-RE (DL) 2X, HD DVD-ROM (DL) 3X. As for DVD/CD, the speed are DVD-RAM 5x, DVD±R DL 4X, the DVD±R 16X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD+RW 8X, CD-R 40X, CD-RW 24X

Does this come with any software or OEM style? Can't find an answer on the sites..

I doubt it comes with software.

Now I'm really intersted in this. My tv just arrived. :D

Does this come with any software or OEM style? Can't find an answer on the sites..

http://www.cdr.cz/a/22552

This site has a ton of info... but it's in Czech. haha If this is the Retail package, it includes the Cyberlink High-Def Suite. More info on that here:

http://www.cyberlink.com/eng/press_room/view_1383.html

The last word of the description on NCIXUS.com's website is "Software" so I think this may mean it is the retail packaging. I'll give them a call here to find out.

This looks interesting. If only it could burn both formats as well. Still worth getting.

Damn that is gonna be awsome.
And yeah, to bad it dosen't burm, but I notice the BDR burners are hella expensive vs. the reading ones. and this is a steal at that price. O_O

http://www.cdr.cz/a/22552

This site has a ton of info... but it's in Czech. haha If this is the Retail package, it includes the Cyberlink High-Def Suite. More info on that here:

http://www.cyberlink.com/eng/press_room/view_1383.html

The last word of the description on NCIXUS.com's website is "Software" so I think this may mean it is the retail packaging. I'll give them a call here to find out.

O'rly. Interesting. I'm gonna have to hold off on that PowerDVD purchase I was about to make. I may just have to act as a guinea pig and order one on Friday.

bah.. i don't want to play the OOS game. Last time I did that with a e6600 i never got the stupid thing.

O'rly. Interesting. I'm gonna have to hold off on that PowerDVD purchase I was about to make. I may just have to act as a guinea pig and order one on Friday.

Yeah, hold off and don't get screwed like I did. I bought the deluxe version for $70 because the Ultra version wasn't out yet. Now they want to charge me another $60 to upgrade, when you can buy Ultra alone for $100. Basically screwing their customers out of an extra $30, thanks cyberlink.

Nice to see a drive with both formats, wonder if we're going to see the prices on these fall as fast as DVD Burners .. I remember one Christmas when they first hit retail stores the prices were like $300+, the following summer prices were down to like $150.

BD/HD-DVD ROM (Read-Only-Memory), not a burner. I think however it burns CD/DVD.

Does that thing have Light Scribe?

Um, *COUGH*, guys, if I were you, I'd ixnay the iratepay talk.

har har

A good deal and I'd pick this up if I were building a PC right now, but I'm not going to be till maybe spring sometime so I'll wait and see what time brings us.

Any update on this?
Did you get any return call about the software?

What about this one in ur HTPC?`that should be pretty good or am I missing something important about the specs or features?
I cant figure out the whole thing with HQV(or what ever its called) and HDi. Is that handled by software in this case becasuse I dont see that in any specs.

Any update on this?
Did you get any return call about the software?

What about this one in ur HTPC?`that should be pretty good or am I missing something important about the specs or features?
I cant figure out the whole thing with HQV(or what ever its called) and HDi. Is that handled by software in this case becasuse I dont see that in any specs.

I did order this yesterday. I never did get a call back but I'll try again later today. They're on pacific standard time so it looks like their customer service line doesn't even open until 11:30 Central time.

Right now I have an old Athlon XP/9700 system that I might try this in but it almost definitely doesn't have enough power to decode HD smoothly. I ran CyberLink's BD/HD Advisor and I got pretty much unknown responses from all categories. If you want to run it on your system it's available here.

Here are the system requirements from CyberLink's site for PowerDVD Ultra:

Processor

Intel (Minimum):
* Pentium 4 541 3.2 GHz, Pentium D 840 3.2 GHz, Pentium D 930 3.0 GHz or 940 3.2 GHz, Core Duo T2400 1.83 GHz, Pentium M 755 2.0 GHz

Intel (Recommended):
* Pentium EE 840 3.2 GHz or 955 3.4 GHz, Pentium D 945 3.4 GHz, 950 3.4 GHz or 960 3.6 GHz, Core Duo T2500 2.0 GHz, T2600 2.16 GHz or T2700 2.33 GHz, Core 2 Duo E6300 1.8 GHz, E6400 2.13 GHz, E6600 2.4 GHz, E6700 2.66 GHZ or X6800 2.93 GHz

AMD (Minimum):
* Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0 GHz or 4000+ 2.0 GHz, Turion 64 X2 TL-50 1.6 GHz, TL-52 1.6 GHz or TL-56 1.8 GHz

AMD (Recommended):
* Athlon 64 FX FX-60 2.6 GHz or FX-62 2.8 GHz, Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2 GHz, 4400+ 2.2 GHz, 4600+ 2.4 GHz, 4800+ 2.4 GHz or 5000+ 2.6 GHz, Turion 64 X2 TL-60 2.0 GHz

Graphics Cards and Chipsets (one of these)

* Intel 945/965 graphics
* nVidia: GeForce 7600 GT, GeForce 7800 GTX 512, GeForce 7900 GX2, GeForce 7900 GTX, GeForce 7950 GX2
* ATI (minumum requirements): ATI Radeon X1600 series, X1800 series, X1900 series
* ATI (recommended requirements): ATI Radeon HD 2400, 2600, 2900 series
* Video RAM: Graphics card memory requires 256 MB or above

We strongly recommend that you update your graphics card driver to the latest version.

I am going to try the drive in my system, if I don't get smooth playback I'll upgrade to a cheap Core 2 Duo system.

It doesn't really matter if it doesn't have a BD-R, almost all of your BD standalone players don't support BD-R/RW disks in them for playback because of their extra want for copy protection. I guess it would still be good for data backup, but the disks are so expensive it is more worth your while just to buy more hard drives for backup.

Okay! I'm finally on hold with NCIX. I probably called a half dozen times this morning. Anyway, the purchaser believes that this is the retail packaging so that should include the PowerDVD Ultra. w00t! :D

Okay! I'm finally on hold with NCIX. I probably called a half dozen times this morning. Anyway, the purchaser believes that this is the retail packaging so that should include the PowerDVD Ultra. w00t! :D

<Cartman>
Sweeeeeet.
</Cartman>

Keep us posted. I've got my CC in Mode 3 (Hot Standby).

It doesn't really matter if it doesn't have a BD-R, almost all of your BD standalone players don't support BD-R/RW disks in them for playback because of their extra want for copy protection. I guess it would still be good for data backup, but the disks are so expensive it is more worth your while just to buy more hard drives for backup.

makes sense, if you are trying to play BD-R movies, then one would assume you had a BD-burner... and you could just play them on there... not sure either why BD-R is even a factor

makes sense, if you are trying to play BD-R movies, then one would assume you had a BD-burner... and you could just play them on there... not sure either why BD-R is even a factor
I was thinking it would be a factor for people vested in BR because they would want to play burned movies in their standalone BR player. If not, it isn't a factor.

Hmm.. too bad my motherboard hates SATA optical drives. It refuses to let me burn stuff, but I can read, so I am kind of on the face if I should pick this up. Otherwise I will stick to my 360 Add-On hd-dvd drive.

it sure is tempting, do u think we can return it even if we opened the box and tested out the hardware, and not touched the software? I have a x1600 pro hdmi card, tried the cyberlink tester thing, i had green on all specs. I think i might pull the trigger by tomorrow..

Hah, I only get green on like half of them and it all works fine on my system. Not using that drive, but in general.

it sure is tempting, do u think we can return it even if we opened the box and tested out the hardware, and not touched the software? I have a x1600 pro hdmi card, tried the cyberlink tester thing, i had green on all specs. I think i might pull the trigger by tomorrow..

NCIXUS.com's "Customer Satisfaction Policy"

I'm not sure if they would take it back unless it's DOA. You could probably give them a call though at 1-888-502-9777. I got a hold of someone at about 1pm Central time yesterday.

Customer Satisfaction Policy
Products sold by NCIXUS.com are covered under a limited 25-day DOA (dead-on-arrival) policy, from the original invoice date, and is subject to the following terms and conditions:

* ALL merchandise requires an RMA number (Return Merchandise Authorization) issued by NCIXUS.com for return. RMA numbers are valid for 7-days with a small leeway for shipping times. Merchandise returned to us without a valid RMA number will be refused and shipped back to the customer at the customer's expense. Please allow 5 to 10 business days for testing and refunds to be processed.
* Returned merchandise must NOT be physically damaged, including damage due to improper installation or overclocking. This includes any physical alteration to the product, modifications not approved by the manufacturer, bent pins, etc. No returns, refunds or exchanges for any special order products, Notebooks, PDAs, Televisions, Retail Box Software, OEM Software, Computer Games, Video Games, DVDs, CDs, or any products marked as "no returns" or carries a similar description on the products' page. All products are eligible for original manufacturer's warranties. Please contact the manufacturer directly. All fees, including "shipping and handling", insurance coverage fees, and "Rapid Replacement" fees are non-refundable.
* Returns MUST include all original parts and packing materials and an NCIXUS.com RMA number, or the return will be rejected. NCIXUS.com reserves the right to refuse any returns or refunds for merchandise. DOA items may be returned within 25 days of ordering and may be subject to a 15% restocking fee at the discretion of NCIXUS.com.
* LCD monitors and other products with LCD displays (i.e.: notebooks, cameras, etc.) adheres to the dead-pixel policy that been established by most of the manufacturers. Any product with an LCD screen must be a minimum of 7 (seven) dead LCD pixels to be considered defective (DOA). Please contact the manufacturer of the product for additional warranty information if you receive a product with less than 7 dead pixels.

All product warranty coverage after 25-days will be handled directly by the product manufacturer. NCIXUS.com reserves the right to refuse any returns or refunds for merchandise.

Well... I ordered one. I didn't exactly understand the whole optional "insurance" thing. I would assume the liability should be on them to ensure I actually get the product, but somehow it doesn't appear to work that way. So, I paid the extra 1.5% ($4.12) to make sure I don't get screwed if FedEx loses or doesn't deliver it. Looking forward to being able to place some Blu-Ray discs! :D

Yea the insurance part gave me a scare, i did the same thing u did.

for u guys who want to get blu ray movies for this puppy, head to amazon blu ray store you can buy one get one free. I ordered Pearl Harbor and Gone in 60 Sec's. Though the catch is, its only on a few movies.

Circuit City still has buy one get one free on HDDVD's and BR (for movie's $30 and under). You might want to pick up Transformers. ;)

+1 Just bought one too. The insurance thing bugged me but I'm too cheap to worry about that. If the product comes here damaged and they will only refund $100 I'll just RMA directly to LG.

Mine has shipped too. Should be here next Tuesday. I'll go grab some HD discs this weekend and will try it out in my current HTPC. If it's not smooth then I'll be upgrading. W00T!

Back