LG Develops 88-Inch 8K OLED Display

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
LG will be debuting the world’s first 88-inch 8K OLED display at CES this year. Currently, the largest and highest-resolution OLED panel the company offers is a 77” 4K model, so this is a significant upgrade (in the resolution department, at least).

LG said that conventionally, increases in resolution make pixels smaller, and that lowers aperture ratio, which makes it hard to maintain luminance. But OLED emits light by itself, so it doesn't lower luminance when the aperture ratio is lower, and is therefore best for 8K resolution, the company said.

All I can think of is 88 MPH!

gdcssu57vqzz.jpg

God damnit LG! We want smaller Oleds TV's, not bigger!
Affordable would also be nice. $2500 for something in the 55" range is still pretty damn expensive, even $1500 for a previous year model on clearance.

Get a probably better looking $500 projector and go 100+ inches.

I considered it, but I didn't really have a wall that fit the bill. Maybe in the basement, but then I would need to rearrange the rooms down there. Oh well.

On projectors... the cost of getting a projected image that can compete with LG's OLEDs will make you blush, and come running back to this US$30,000 monster :D

[probably, that's just my speculation, but I'm certain that good projection isn't as simple as buy projector -> hang screen -> win ;) ]

That's great for those times I want to watch my TV from a distance of 2 feet. Too bad telecom companies will take forever to upgrade their infrastructure such that it would facilitate that kind of bandwidth. I'd honestly rather TV companies spend time on fixing the problems that actually affect picture quality, instead of doing the easy thing like increasing resolution well beyond what's necessary due to the limitations of the human eye just because it's easier to market it.

Bigger the better. I went from a 52 to a 65 and man is it awesome.

(1080p 52 to 4k 65).
I did the same last year. 50” Plasma to a 65” Sony. My room is large enough that justifying the size increase was easy. 50 was just a bit too small for my eyes and any smallish text.

Unless the larger OLEDs are foldable I'm unlikely to move beyond the current 65" OLED as it will be difficult to get any of them into the room.

What, you don’t want to just remove a window to get a TV in?

Affordable would also be nice. $2500 for something in the 55" range is still pretty damn expensive, even $1500 for a previous year model on clearance.

OLED is just the luxury car of the TV market. If $1500 for an OLED is too expensive, then stick to LED.

People seem to have gotten spoiled by the race-to-the-bottom LED panel market dirt cheap pricing.

That's great for those times I want to watch my TV from a distance of 2 feet. Too bad telecom companies will take forever to upgrade their infrastructure such that it would facilitate that kind of bandwidth. I'd honestly rather TV companies spend time on fixing the problems that actually affect picture quality, instead of doing the easy thing like increasing resolution well beyond what's necessary due to the limitations of the human eye just because it's easier to market it.
Wait... You still watch TV on your TV?

Yeah I had desktop use in mind.

I'm just going to guess that OLED is still too immature for desktop use. LG keeps pumping out UHD IPS screens for the desktop market, yet the color / contrast gamut of OLED would kill in the graphic design world.

There's also a sweet spot in desktop monitors for 4k, so be sure before you buy a large monitor. I swapped out my 28" 2k for a 40" 4k. The result? I have to run Windows at 120% DPI (so I lose some of the benefit). If I don't, items are too small. If I move the monitor closer, I get really bad color grading, and have to shift my head too much. I kinda feel that a 32" 4K positioned closer to me would have been a better deal. For gaming, 4k has the advantage of being able to allow you to run a demanding title at 1080P while maintaining the pixel ratio.

And it costs a mere $30,000!
I'd be shocked if this set was anywhere close to 30k. I'm not even sure it'll be available for triple that. I am looking forward to seeing what the new 4k sets go for.

OLED is just the luxury car of the TV market. If $1500 for an OLED is too expensive, then stick to LED.

People seem to have gotten spoiled by the race-to-the-bottom LED panel market dirt cheap pricing.
I said $1500 was expensive for a previous year model.

Why the hell would I stick to LED? Having a 50+ screen that can't properly display the color black is something I want to avoid. I'm not asking for a $500 OLED to pricematch against a junk $500 LED TV. It would be nice to be able to replace my plasma when it eventually dies without having to drop $2500 on an OLED TV is all.

On projectors... the cost of getting a projected image that can compete with LG's OLEDs will make you blush, and come running back to this US$30,000 monster :D

[probably, that's just my speculation, but I'm certain that good projection isn't as simple as buy projector -> hang screen -> win ;) ]
Not really, dont get me wrong, no projector will give u that OLED contrast no matter the price, but for under $6000 u can get a JVC or Sony that has amazing picture quality up to 150inch. thew only issue is u need to have the right room for it with dark walls etc... but its worth it and way less than any tv 4k or HD in the 80-100inch sizes.

Love these tv's but how the hell am I going to hook up Nintendo 64/Game cube? I'm going to be stuck with this old 55" LCD. These new tv's dont have the old video ports.

Love these tv's but how the hell am I going to hook up Nintendo 64/Game cube? I'm going to be stuck with this old 55" LCD. These new tv's dont have the old video ports.
They have conversion boxes that go rca/composite to HDMI which is what I had to buy to use my SNES. I need them to make one in 40", all the 40" tvs are so low end now, and 30"+ 4k monitors are more expensive than TVs.

They have conversion boxes that go rca/composite to HDMI which is what I had to buy to use my SNES. I need them to make one in 40", all the 40" tvs are so low end now, and 30"+ 4k monitors are more expensive than TVs.

Any idea how the old systems look on a 4k tv? Insanely pixelated?

My son plays the N64/Gamecube in 4:3 ratio on the LCD. Can you pull this off with a 4K?

Thanks

Last edited:
Bigger is never better your eyes would be peeled so far back it would be like watching the last Jedi in the front row of the theater.

My son plays the N64/Gamecube in 4:3 ratio on the LCD. Can you pull this off with a 4K?

Thanks
I have not yet tried, but my 4K TV comes with both composite and component inputs.

Thanks

Know how bad it looks on 1080p? It looks much much worse. I keep an old 4:3 aspect ratio LCD around for playing vintage consoles, it just isn't worth trying to play on a wide screen.

This means that the 77" will go down in price... I will buy one once its price falls below $7,700...

Well, as long as I can write a check for it, I'll take three, please!

Just sooner to the date that 4k would be considered low. The lower it is, the cheaper it is. I need glasses anyways in order to enjoy high resolutions.

no way I'll buy an 88" 8k OLED screen, I want an 89" model :cool:

Back