LG and Google announce the Nexus 4

Yeah, I'm also curious as to what kind of pricing the wireless charger will bring with it.

As for cases, I don't like to use cases as they make the phone feel even bulkier. Unless Lifeproof makes a case for it, then I'd get one....I want to make it waterproof.

So how many of us are going to be refreshing the Google Play page tonight / tomorrow?

If I refresh and it says "backordered" I think I'm going to punch my screen...LOL
I wonder how many they have really for the launch?

I'm probably going to give it a couple days so I can beat the crowd and look at initial reviews. Chances are they wont be in stock locally here for the next little while anyway. If I can I rather buy locally.

To think, if this was an apple people would already be lining up as we speak. :p

I will wait a week or so. I never like to be the first guy with brand new tech. Let me read real peoples reviews, etc...

I would just wait for that HTC phone with the 5" screen and 1080 resolution right now. Just to see how it is and if it's junk go with the Nexus 4.

It seems the battery and performance is still a bit iffy though.

I also hope that a bunch of these Nexus 4 devices sell. I'd really love to have more unlocked/unsubsidized phones with great hardware for sale in the future at this affordable price point.

I hear ya. Phone companies are screwing us over with their contracts - it's time to vote with our wallets!

That really is the interesting question here...What will happen to cell phone prices in the future...Will other new phones sell at this price, or will they stay "up there" in the $600+ range?

They will stay super high priced. Carriers need you locked into that agreement

They will stay super high priced. Carriers need you locked into that agreement

There's actually two parts to it; one part is that the carriers need you locked into the agreement and the other part is that the general US consumer is so brainwashed by the system that they look at the contract-free phones and wonder why bother with that when they can "upgrade" to a new phone for less or a similar cost when their current contract is up.

Having lived overseas, it's almost baffling how archaic the entire contract lock-in system feels compared to rest of the world.

There's actually two parts to it; one part is that the carriers need you locked into the agreement and the other part is that the general US consumer is so brainwashed by the system that they look at the contract-free phones and wonder why bother with that when they can "upgrade" to a new phone for less or a similar cost when their current contract is up.

Having lived overseas, it's almost baffling how archaic the entire contract lock-in system feels compared to rest of the world.

LOL you are right. Too many Americans, are fucking zombie knuckle draggers. Just have Fox News tell them what they want to hear, don't question anything, just slug along in life, watch NASCAR, buy a Ford pickup, drink Pepsi, get fat, and die. LOL :eek: That's a bit extreme, and of course not all American's are like that. But the Europeans and Asians sure look at us that way.

The carriers are just big business, in this to rape the most amount of dollars out of our wallets. They have a nice system going for them, the two year contract bullshit, with subsidized phone prices, fits in well with the cavemen.

I completely agree with you. I am SOOO tired of 3 year contracts, that I'm about to break my current contract (1 more year to go), but this phone and switch carriers for a month to month "contract" that is barely more expensive, yet unlimited even long distance, which here in Canada is pretty much unheard of.
Hence why I want this phone. Well, that and it's pretty nice. ;)

My biggest complaint with carriers is the retarded low data caps. What the hell am I going to do with 100MB? Then they turn around and charge 80 dollars per month for that. May as well not even have data. That's where this phone comes in, I can buy it outright at a decent price and just put a voice plan on it and use wifi for any internet usage.

Stopped by T-Mo store today, they didn't have a demo N4 yet but they did swap my SIM card for a microSIM for free. Ready for when the N4 arrives. Qi charger should be here on weds/thurs too. :)

LOL you are right. Too many Americans, are fucking zombie knuckle draggers. Just have Fox News tell them what they want to hear, don't question anything, just slug along in life, watch NASCAR, buy a Ford pickup, drink Pepsi, get fat, and die. LOL :eek: That's a bit extreme, and of course not all American's are like that. But the Europeans and Asians sure look at us that way.

The carriers are just big business, in this to rape the most amount of dollars out of our wallets. They have a nice system going for them, the two year contract bullshit, with subsidized phone prices, fits in well with the cavemen.

Way to bring politics into a cell phone thread, just couldn't resist insulting someone could you. FYI, we buy Dodges and drink tea not pepsi.

Business' are into business to make money. Contracts are a great way to do that and honestly they could be much worse. If you think Google is just being altruistic well, I've got a proverbial beach to sell you.

The Nexus 4 is missing way too much and is pretty bland hardware wise for me to even consider it. It is nothing more than a sidegrade for my current Nexus.

Maybe I'm really missing something but I don't see what the big deal about having an unlocked phone is. You get craptastic network coverage in the majority of places which is the real deal breaker, plus the Nexus 4 really isn't all that spectacular hardware wise. I'm really not sure why people are getting a hardon over the phone. :confused:

Newest CPU/GPU out. Yeah sounds like shitty hardware :rolleyes:

The Nexus 4 is missing way too much and is pretty bland hardware wise for me to even consider it. It is nothing more than a sidegrade for my current Nexus.

Maybe I'm really missing something but I don't see what the big deal about having an unlocked phone is. You get craptastic network coverage in the majority of places which is the real deal breaker, plus the Nexus 4 really isn't all that spectacular hardware wise. I'm really not sure why people are getting a hardon over the phone. :confused:
Yes, because Krait Pro is bland. And wireless charging is bland. And DC-HSPA+ is bland. And a quality camera is bland. And the IPS display is bland.

The GNexus, hardware wise, was really only interesting for the NFC and 720p display. It may look fairly pedestrian (sleep but not sexy) but the hardware is pretty nice.

Sold out in the UK already. :(
Hopefully I can still get a couple. F5, please be my friend...

Last edited:
Seriously, the Galaxy S3 is more like a Galaxy S2.1 than anything else. To say the Nexus 4 isn't much better than the Galaxy Nexus, you're insane.

Seriously, the Galaxy S3 is more like a Galaxy S2.1 than anything else. To say the Nexus 4 isn't much better than the Galaxy Nexus, you're insane.

So I live in a major US city with LTE and am sticking with AT&T due to service at a vacation home that Verizon doesn't cover. 3G speeds are typically under 1mbps down and 1mbps up, while LTE speeds exceed 20mbps regularly. For this reason I am strongly considering buying the S3 (for $100 as an upgrade, on contract), and waiting for next year’s Nexus with the hopes that it has LTE. Am I crazy? Should I pay 3x more out of pocket (plan price remains the same either way) to get speeds that are regularly 20 times slower? I would run monthly CM10 on the S3 for a mostly up to date "stock" experience. I've also read that it's pretty easy to hookup wireless charging on the S3. I don't want to make a bad decision here, so I'm looking for advice (not trying to argue). I'm just not sure that I could be happy using slow ass at&t 3g for another year.

3G speeds from my desk at work (Mbps):
GYuR3.png

Last edited:
Duarte says they want the Nexus 4 to be sold on all carriers worldwide. I would guess Verizon will get their own LTE version at some point, but not for awhile. At least with HSPA+ it will work totally fine on T-Mobile and ATT. The CDMA carriers are the ones not getting it. And I used to have both Sprint and Verizon service, fuck CDMA they blow, and Verizon is the biggest rip off known to man, unless your company pays your Verizon bill, or you have some ancient grandfather plan, otherwise Verizon for a new personal subscriber is a rape of a monthly price.

I live in west michigan, ive been with sprint, tmobile, AT&T and now im back to verizon. I actually hate verizon because they renewed my contract without my permission, were rude to me, and charged me out the YING YANG. Time cures all i suppose, as that was 5+ years ago but im sick of not having any service. AT&T service was 2nd best for me, but they screwed up my bill every month -- terrible customer service as well.

My wife and I got share everything plan. unlimited talk / text 1gb of data $130 a month. I get a 17% discount because of my employer --so after taxes and fee's its the same price as tmobile - we have more minutes that we dont need, more then twice the data and its the same price because of my discount. Oh yeah, and its great i actually have bars again

FYI the play store is up for US customers.

Must resist...

Errors when I try to checkout. :(
I read that the launch of the Nexus 4 in Europe was a shambles and it might turn out that way here too.
EDIT: Looks like the 16gb version is sold out already!

I'm at the checkout and clicked the "accept and buy" button and it has frozen....The play store is now saying "coming soon" again for both the 8gb and 16gb versions (opened it in a different browser)

Buying in Canada. Or at least TRYING....:rolleyes:

Hah! So much for the "notify me" process lol. I got to the purchasing step, error, then site threw up on me.

Grats for those that pulled it off!

So my Google Wallet page says "Your purchase will complete momentarily" but I just received my email confirmation that Google has taken my money....Hopefully I'll get the phones and not some follow up email saying it's purchased, but backordered or something.

Way to bring politics into a cell phone thread, just couldn't resist insulting someone could you. FYI, we buy Dodges and drink tea not pepsi.

Business' are into business to make money. Contracts are a great way to do that and honestly they could be much worse. If you think Google is just being altruistic well, I've got a proverbial beach to sell you.

I can't speak for other but for me it's the pure Android experience and the updates straight from Google. To me Android is an incredible operating system and the Google updates are key for the longevity of the device. The downside for me is no LTE, no micro SD, and only 16GB on the high end of storage. LTE is really the thing that is killing me now. I understand why they did it and am fully behind it but man LTE speeds are crazy fast. Also can somebody explain to me why in any benchmark the iphone 5 destroys this flagship phone. I understand it's synthetic benchmarks and for me it doesn't really matter because I'm happily invested in the Google ecosystem and love Jellybean but the numbers are out there you'd think they would try to at least match the iphone 5. Are all these benchmarks off or bias (from a technical standpoint) towards Apple?

Also can somebody explain to me why in any benchmark the iphone 5 destroys this flagship phone. I understand it's synthetic benchmarks and for me it doesn't really matter because I'm happily invested in the Google ecosystem and love Jellybean but the numbers are out there you'd think they would try to at least match the iphone 5. Are all these benchmarks off or bias (from a technical standpoint) towards Apple?
A lot of the benchmarks are being throttled due to heat.

LG Optimus G has a something to regulate it, but the Nexus 4 doesn't. So if a custom dev decide to port the Optimus G power app to Nexus 4, the Nexus 4 should behave more like the Optimus G.

I can't speak for other but for me it's the pure Android experience and the updates straight from Google. To me Android is an incredible operating system and the Google updates are key for the longevity of the device. The downside for me is no LTE, no micro SD, and only 16GB on the high end of storage. LTE is really the thing that is killing me now. I understand why they did it and am fully behind it but man LTE speeds are crazy fast. Also can somebody explain to me why in any benchmark the iphone 5 destroys this flagship phone. I understand it's synthetic benchmarks and for me it doesn't really matter because I'm happily invested in the Google ecosystem and love Jellybean but the numbers are out there you'd think they would try to at least match the iphone 5. Are all these benchmarks off or bias (from a technical standpoint) towards Apple?

See this is what I'm asking. I get all the benefits of having a stock android experience with the nexus, but will be missing out on 4g and the current benchmarks barely even warrant an consideration for an upgrade. Every phone that gets released gets the oh, it is superior hardware wise to everything ever made but runs like shit. That'll get fixed in an update, or oh wait until XDA gets ahold of it, etc...etc...

I just dont see what is so great about the Nexus 4 that warrants all the hardons. Just trying to get a grasp of what I'm not seeing.

I tried order in the UK this morning... yeah was a bit late off the mark at 8:30am but it was already showing notify for the 16GB version. The email telling me it was available arrived at 8:38am... so much for the notice!

The average performance with throttling due to heat, lack of LTE, lack of micro SD, subpar battery life, and poorly calibrated display has put me off from wanting to order one when I had the chance this morning. It just doesn't give me the feel of a flagship phone compared to what will be coming spring 2013 as well as even the current iPhone 5, Note II, and Lumia 920.

Last edited:
The average performance with throttling due to heat, lack of LTE, lack of micro SD, subpar battery life, and poorly calibrated display has put me off from wanting to order one when I had the chance this morning. It just doesn't give me the feel of a flagship phone compared to what will be coming spring 2013 as well as even the current iPhone 5, Note II, and Lumia 920.

I just want to say I agree here, completely. I'm currently on a G-Nex and won't be upgrading to this phone. It looks like a really great phone for people going pre-paid (not stuck in a contract) or that are currently on a really out dated phone though.

However if I was buying today a Note II would be a way better purchase for me. In my personal opinion it just rocks much harder. That said, if I got the Note II and it ended up being too big (it wouldn't) and they released a LTE version of the Nexus 4, I'd probably buy it instantly.

(shrugs)

I have to ask. Why would your order a phone that does not have LTE? If I had to go back to regular 4g or even 3g speeds I would explode. LTE is 10 times faster than either 4g or 3g in my area anyway (CA Bay Area At&T) I would have gotten the N4 in a heart beat but no LTE just killed it for me. Almost every review said the same thing. That this phone could have been a awesome phone but because of no LTE its a critical flaw. Now I understand alot of people don't have LTE in their area, but it just doesn't make any sense to me. You could have gotten an S3 or any other unlocked LTE phone for like $100 more.

I have to ask. Why would your order a phone that does not have LTE? If I had to go back to regular 4g or even 3g speeds I would explode. LTE is 10 times faster than either 4g or 3g in my area anyway (CA Bay Area At&T) I would have gotten the N4 in a heart beat but no LTE just killed it for me. Almost every review said the same thing. That this phone could have been a awesome phone but because of no LTE its a critical flaw. Now I understand alot of people don't have LTE in their area, but it just doesn't make any sense to me. You could have gotten an S3 or any other unlocked LTE phone for like $100 more.

For me, any heavy downloading I do is done at home on WiFi. I have so much WiFi access every day LTE doesn't make or break the phone for me. I'm nowhere near important enough that I need to have constant high-speed access to webpages, social networking, etc. But if I was important enough? Everyone else can wait.

I tried the S3, and hated the back button on the right side. Plus, every demo unit I picked up had choppy performance. Turned me off completely.

Back