LG and Dell team up using IPS to 'conquer global LCD market.'

Whoisthisreally

[H]ard|Gawd
"With all UltraSharp™ monitors featuring the IPS panel, LG Display and Dell formed a
joint IPS camp and agreed to pursue strategic IPS co-promotion with the goal of
conquering the global LCD monitor market. The co-promotion will encompass the
creation and use of IPS toolkits, online promotions, public relations, and joint efforts to
spur demand.
" - LG Display Monthly

So, I'm thinking that IPS as a brand is pretty unstoppable right now. It seems to have destroyed Samsung in the WVA monitor market, leaving Samsung to react with PLS. Even the supposed C-PVA ST2310WA is missing from the market.

It is clear that LG wants to differentiate and promote its IPS product toward consumers with services like Twitter and Facebook. Steve Jobs has already explicitly differentiated the ipad as being IPS. The intent is quite clear.

It will be interesting to see how customers react in the future, and whether there will be a boom for cheap WVA monitors under common brands. As for Skynet style domination of Dell monitors? No thanks.

RMAed my Ultrasharp, and I hope to God Samsung's new PLS panels will finally rid us of enslavement to LG.

Tinted panels and aggressive anto-glare coating for every one!

Even so, IPS is dominating not only because of business and customer-focused marketing, but also because the core technology is the best out there.

I have a 2090UXi, which is an older S-IPS panel and the AG isn't bad. The problem here is they're dominating the market with cheap, e-IPS panels. S-IPS, AS-IPS, H-IPS and P-IPS are where it's at.

I have a 2090UXi, which is an older S-IPS panel and the AG isn't bad. The problem here is they're dominating the market with cheap, e-IPS panels. S-IPS, AS-IPS, H-IPS and P-IPS are where it's at.

Panels characterised as "e-IPS" are found in the LCD2490WUXi2 (this is mentioned by NEC in a transition card) and the PA231W. e-IPS is constantly mentioned, but there is no public information with which to describe it. The term currently does not have any meaning apart from the use of a standard gamut back-light.

if you look at user feedback and reviews, e-ips is definitely lower end. the pa231w being the cheapest of NEC's professional series. some e-ips are even 6bit.

IPS could use some tuning up (faster response time) but besides that it's exellent.

Maybe this will make other panel manufacturers get off their asses and make something good for once.

That said, maybe because of this we will start seeing more IPS panels in laptops, nearly all of which have some of the worst displays I've ever laid eyes on, with contrast that couldn't possibly be better than 150-200:1 on most.

They seem to aim to make e-ips the new tn. At least it's a step in the right direction.

I have to say I love my fairly new HP LG3065 30" IPS. 5ms GTG. Better than the new HP (they discontinued mine recently glad I got it) which is 7ms GTG slowing down to the point you cannot game with it but it has 1 billion+ colors which I could care less about my 16 million+ is enough.

Panels characterised as "e-IPS" are found in the LCD2490WUXi2 (this is mentioned by NEC in a transition card) and the PA231W. e-IPS is constantly mentioned, but there is no public information with which to describe it. The term currently does not have any meaning apart from the use of a standard gamut back-light.

difrerent kind of e-IPS. eIPS, the new kind, is known to have wider manuf. tolerances and is less opaque so it allows a weaker backlight to power it (both likley cost cutting/saving measures to make eIPS cheaper. e-IPS, is a rather old variant of IPS technology. Hyphen makes all the difference, apparently.

difrerent kind of e-IPS. eIPS, the new kind, is known to have wider manuf. tolerances and is less opaque so it allows a weaker backlight to power it (both likley cost cutting/saving measures to make eIPS cheaper. e-IPS, is a rather old variant of IPS technology. Hyphen makes all the difference, apparently.

Can you recall where you had read this?

Great.

I wonder if they will continue with the race to ever lower vertical resolutions or that they campaign against that too.

Widescreen was sold to the ignorant public by ways of misleading advertisement after all..

Great.

I wonder if they will continue with the race to ever lower vertical resolutions or that they campaign against that too.

Widescreen was sold to the ignorant public by ways of misleading advertisement after all..

Prolly not. 1080p is the standard. Only small, very cheap, or laptop/mobile monitors have a resolution below 1080p. I prefer 16:10 at or above 1920x1200 myself. But the reality is that 16:10 is slowly fading away.
16:9 2560 x 1440 and 1920 x 1080 resolutions are even starting to infect monitors over 24".

I guess this is proof that there is a big possibility that the newest LG monitor LG E2770V is realy IPS. The title of this topic makes it very likely.

If IPS could manage a faster refresh rate it would be perfect.

Dell should start it with releasing a software which re-calibrates the internal LUTs in their UltraSharp displays, like the U2410 and U2711. :D

I have to say I love my fairly new HP LG3065 30" IPS. 5ms GTG. Better than the new HP (they discontinued mine recently glad I got it) which is 7ms GTG slowing down to the point you cannot game with it but it has 1 billion+ colors which I could care less about my 16 million+ is enough.

You obviously have no clue what you're talking about, the ZR30w is great for gaming...

You obviously have no clue what you're talking about, the ZR30w is great for gaming...

Umm it being 2 ms slower GTG I do have an idea what I am talking about and for 30" monitors the new IPS is getting slower not faster. My panel (HP LP3065) is way better gaming experience than the ZR30w (5ms GTG compared to 7ms GTG). Better check your specs. Many folks will not game on anything slower than 5ms GTG.

Last edited:
Well you need to watch who your calling immature and a fanboi. I have more experience in my left pinky with this stuff than you do in your lifetime.

:eek:

Umm it being 2 ms slower GTG I do have an idea what I am talking about and for 30" monitors the new IPS is getting slower not faster. My panel (HP LG3065) is way better gaming experience than the ZR30w. Better check your specs.

:eek:

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. I think you need to start at sqaure one before dishing out any more nonsense. Better check your specs? Really? Really?

Really 5ms compared to 7 ms is a huge difference in gaming. You better go back to square one no nonesense here nothing but facts.

Last edited:
8ms IPS vs 6ms

Specs mean NOTHING. Sense you haven't figured that out yet I suggest you stop posting in the Display boards entirely. Come back once you have done some reading.

OK mr know it all. Specs do mean something especially from the same manufacturer they mean less cross manufacturer. And GTG is more comparable across manufacturers than contrast ratio etc. Don't tell me I need to read And I will post where I please you don't tell me nadda.

The more IPS panels out there, the better. Maybe consumers will get used to it and reject TN panels in general. I see this as a win-win.

It's bad enough they are scarce when selecting a monitor for your PC, but completely unfair when 99% of the laptops only come with crappy TN LCD's.

You can knock Apple all you want, but things like the iPad even existing with its IPS panel is a good thing (not the mention the awesomeness of a 4:3 AR. Yah!)

Yeah Falcon I am sure your eyes can detect a 2 ms difference... and you are aware that stated specs in ms are not always accurate... saying that a 2ms difference is "slowing down to the point you cannot game with it" is the biggest pile of rubbish I have heard in a long time.

The GTG is what gamers use to rate monitors they buy and there is no rubbish about that. Even though the GTG doesn't depict the actual response of a monitor its the closest thing they have. And most all monitors I have seen over 5ms GTG have terrible ghosting, trailing, etc IPS or TN. So yes there is a threshhold it has nothing to do with 2 MS spread. I agree no one can tell 2-4ms with the human eye. But once the ghosting/trailing threshold is reached the human eye can see it and the ZR30w I saw ghosted and trailed like a mofo seeing two screens/shots at a time in gaming.

Dude I did my research on this before I spent $1100 on my new IPS.

Ghosting and trailing? Please. That's utter nonsense, my eyes are sensitive to it and it's hardly noticeable on this panel. Gaming on the ZR30w is a fantastic experience. I'm thinking you were looking at a bad apple if anything.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3754/a-new-30-contender-hp-zr30w-review/8

"...For gamers, display lag is a very real concern, and display processing is a nebulously reported (if at all) specification for just about all LCD displays. We’ve been over this before, but ultimately, what matters isn’t GTG, full on, full off pixel response times, or what’s reported on the spec sheet, but the holistic latency of the monitor compared to something we can all agree is lag-free."

"I played a number of FPS titles and RTS games on the display, and never noticed any display processing lag or ghosting to speak of. If you’re going to use a 30” panel for gaming, the ZR30w seems to be just as good as any."

"In the ghosting images I snapped, I usually only saw two frames. The dominant frame, and the preceding frame. This is very surprising, since we’re used to seeing three. But all throughout the images I snapped, only two frames are visible. This is very impressive panel response."

I read that a while back and it reports ghosting and you say "you hardly notice it" so it exists. But to each his own panels are like sound each user has his own preference/liking. Bottom line I know my panels, I did my research, and chose my panel and I like it for gaming better than the ZR30w.

Umm it being 2 ms slower GTG I do have an idea what I am talking about and for 30" monitors the new IPS is getting slower not faster. My panel (HP LP3065) is way better gaming experience than the ZR30w (5ms GTG compared to 7ms GTG). Better check your specs. Many folks will not game on anything slower than 5ms GTG.

Lol, a guy quoting a 2ms grey-to-grey manufacturer specification difference. Manufacturer grey-to-grey times are virtually worthless. You must be one of those people that also believes in million to 1 "dynamic" contrast ratios. :D I love marketing brainwashed people that speak like they are authorities on subjects.

The old HP LP3065 uses the LM300WQ3-STA1 panel which wasn't as responsive as the LM300WQ1 as used in the Dell 3007WFP-HC. The HP ZR30w and Dell U3011 use the LM300WQ5 which is just as fast as the LM300WQ1 and has improved in every other respect. I've compared and reviewed the ZR30w vs the Dell 3007WFP-HC and LG W3000H. There is no finer 30" on the market for its combination of image quality, low input lag and low ghosting as the ZR30w. And yes, I own three of them.

Whatever it takes to quell your ego for spending 3.5K on those ZR30ws. Knocking on people to make yourself feel better. And I already said contrast ratio is BS maybe you better read beore you post in a thread. Sad.

I read that a while back and it reports ghosting and you say "you hardly notice it" so it exists. But to each his own panels are like sound each user has his own preference/liking. Bottom line I know my panels, I did my research, and chose my panel and I like it for gaming better than the ZR30w.

LOL, yeah, it exists because it's a LCD IPS panel, not a CRT. I'd be willing to bet the house I'd "hardly" notice it on the LP3065 as well.

Whatever it takes to quell your ego for spending 3.5K on those ZR30ws. Knocking on people to make yourself feel better. And I already said contrast ratio is BS maybe you better read beore you post in a thread. Sad.

See, that is where you are wrong. I do not "knock" on people to make myself feel better (whatever that means). I "knock" on people when it is glaringly obvious that they have no clue what they are talking about and try to pass their words of "wisdom" off as having authority. Just enjoy your 6-year old 1st generation LG panel and be happy. Just note that when you come here spouting nonsense you will be called on it.

See, that is where you are wrong. I do not "knock" on people to make myself feel better (whatever that means). I "knock" on people when it is glaringly obvious that they have no clue what they are talking about and try to pass their words of "wisdom" off as having authority. Just enjoy your 6-year old 1st generation LG panel and be happy. Just note that when you come here spouting nonsense you will be called on it.

Well if you knew what you were talking about maybe you could talk down to me but since you don't better to be quiet and thought a fool then to speak up and remove all doubt. Now to call you out with facts not BS like you did on me.

My HP LP3065 was made after 2008 and has the following in it:

#1) 30" HP LP3065 (with S-IPS - Panel# LG-LM300WQ5 - Model# EZ320A8#ABA - Year# Updated in 2008) w/ 16.7million colors (Per-8bit)

So better go try to talk down to some else since you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. And I am sure your review is just as bad as your mis-information here.

What really cracks me up is my panel is the same panel with less colors and faster response. Enjoy your laggy 3.5K 3 panel system.

Last edited:
Well if you knew what you were talking about maybe you could talk down to me but since you don't better to be quiet and thought a fool then to speak up and remove all doubt. Now to call you out with facts not BS like you did on me.

My HP LP3065 was made after 2008 and has the following in it:

#1) 30" HP LP3065 (with S-IPS - Panel# LG-LM300WQ5 - Model# EZ320A8#ABA - Year# Updated in 2008) w/ 16.7million colors (Per-8bit)

So better go try to talk down to some else since you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. And I am sure your review is just as bad as your mis-information here.

What really cracks me up is my panel is the same panel with less colors and faster response. Enjoy your laggy 3.5K 3 panel system.

Truly newb-tastic research. Everything you posted can be found on an Amazon customer review: http://www.amazon.com/Hewlett-Packard-30-Inch-Monitor-EZ320A8-ABA/dp/B000KI9W74 by some random bloke named +++ :rolleyes: You win the internet.

So which is it? The panels are the same or are they different? So if the panels are the same, how do they have different colors and response times? Must be interesting how that one works out. Maybe you should ask an Amazon customer to give you the answer. I think you should stick to quoting worthless manufacturer grey-grey response time spec pamphlet numbers to determine which monitor is best. :rolleyes:

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back