• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LG 48CX

Anyone have luck getting atmos sound using a displayport to hdmi adapter to an atmos receiver / Soundbar?

My shark has not come in yet to fix my audio lag. Was hoping this club 3d adapter would do the trick but it seems to just cause a lot of screen flickering with 0 sound. Have tried multiple cables but it does not seem to work.
I'm doing 7.1 24bit 192khz PCM with a passive DP->HDMI cable, so I can't imagine Atmos wouldn't work too. Some DP->HDMI cables don't carry audio through so check the Amazon reviews before ordering.
 
Hi guys. Sorry to hijack the thread. I just bought a super ultra-wide 49" Samsung (C49RG90S) and I am having a hard time adjusting to it after being on 2x 24" for 10 years. I think I need some tools to work better with WIndows 10's.. ehh. windows.. I am so used to use the built-in maximising windows, but on such a monitor is is not really useful. Anyways...

My real question (and if anyone has any suggestings for the first problem I am happily taking them) is regarding the title of this thread. Right now there are some great deals on LG OLED CX's. Its only 55" or 65" so no 48" unfortunately. But does anyone has experience using the 55" (size wise - is it too big? I am sitting about 75-85cm away from the back table edge)?

How are people combating the viewing distance with that god aweful stand it comes with? So I am on a height adjustable table and I really appriciate the posture change and this creates a problem, because as said I am thinking of buying one of the 55"s and to combat the viewing distance I would wall mount it. But then I cant use my height adjustablility - which I am okay to sacrifice but dont want to if I don't have to. So what to to. Are there any 3. party stands that can be mounted to the table that make the display sit at the table edge far away from the viewer? or any height adjustable wallmounts?

Thank you for anyone answering any of my questions (or can point me in directions that can).
At that viewing distance, 55" is definitely too big. The stand is rubbish, I use a floorstand, wallmount is even better. If you want a sitting/standing desk then you might want to buy one of those motorized TV stands that can move it up and down like your table. From what I have seen they are expensive though and I don't know if they go low enough to allow for sitting position.

For the CRG9, give DisplayFusion and MS Powertoys Fancyzones a go. I feel they are essential tools for that format.
 
How far above the desk surface would the 48 CX TV be on its default stand? I'd like to eventually buy one of those floor stands with a foot on the floor that have something like a wall mount Vesa bracket on top but I'm curious how far above the desk it would sit for now until I buy one.
 
Last edited:
At that viewing distance, 55" is definitely too big. The stand is rubbish, I use a floorstand, wallmount is even better. If you want a sitting/standing desk then you might want to buy one of those motorized TV stands that can move it up and down like your table. From what I have seen they are expensive though and I don't know if they go low enough to allow for sitting position.

For the CRG9, give DisplayFusion and MS Powertoys Fancyzones a go. I feel they are essential tools for that format.

Thank you so much for taking your time to give your view on this. Ya. I have been measuring it out on the wall and while the width is okay - it would actually be less than the 49" super ultra-wide I have now because the OLED would be futher away. The height I am affraid will be too much. My Problem is that the 48" is more expensive than the 55". Normally they are the same price, but now the 55" is on sale for about 12,5% less. So an option could be to run a custom resolution by cutting the top. Making a semi ultrawide. As said the 55" is cheaper. But I will lose resolution. It would probably run in 3440x2160, about 10% of the height cut off making it more align with the 48". Which would be an unconventionel height but technically it is 16:10. The same as my 10 year old dual 24" dell setup (1920x1200) which I am used to. And 3440x2160 is 7.4MP which is about the same amount of pixels as my current 5120x1440 49" Samsung to drive. So eaiser than the UHD of 8.3MP. The pixels however would be relatively pretty big (low PPI).

Are there any tools/guides for how far away I should be (viewing distance) roughly pr inch?

Ya those motorised stands arent gonna happen. I cant justify the price. I would have to wallmount it instead and live with the fact I dont have a standing desk anymore.
 
How far above the desk surface would the 48 CX TV be on its default stand? I'd like to.eventually buy one of those floor stands with a foot on the floor that have something like a wall mount Vesa bracket on top but I'm curious how far above the desk.it would sit for.now until I buy one.
The spec sheet says its 61.8cm/24.3" without the stand and 65cm/25.6" with the stand.
 
  • Like
Reactions: elvn
like this
So, having owned the LG 48CX for a few months (and loving it), I finally managed to get hold of an MSI Gaming Trio X 3090 to pair with it.

It's amazing - seriously amazing. This is everything you could want from a combination of high-end kit. Sure it will set you back over £3,000 but it's worth it, for the performance and fidelity.

I haven't played an Assassin's Creed game in years, but thought I would subscribe to Ubisoft Plus for a month to try a few games out. Both Odyssey and Valhalla look incredible, running at 60Hz and pumped up to Ultra settings with V-Sync on. The LG "game response" mode turns on automatically, and everything looks just incredible. I've also tried RDR2 (max settings, 4K) and again, superb performance. It will literally make you feel like the PC Master Race guy with the wind blowing through his hair.

I worry there will be newer games within 2 years where I'll need to start to push the settings down again, but I'm hoping not so much if the consoles are going for 4K too.

I still don't like HDR, but I haven't experimented with the settings enough to make it look good. Out of the box, it looks awful.
 
So, having owned the LG 48CX for a few months (and loving it), I finally managed to get hold of an MSI Gaming Trio X 3090 to pair with it.

It's amazing - seriously amazing. This is everything you could want from a combination of high-end kit. Sure it will set you back over £3,000 but it's worth it, for the performance and fidelity.

I haven't played an Assassin's Creed game in years, but thought I would subscribe to Ubisoft Plus for a month to try a few games out. Both Odyssey and Valhalla look incredible, running at 60Hz and pumped up to Ultra settings with V-Sync on. The LG "game response" mode turns on automatically, and everything looks just incredible. I've also tried RDR2 (max settings, 4K) and again, superb performance. It will literally make you feel like the PC Master Race guy with the wind blowing through his hair.

I worry there will be newer games within 2 years where I'll need to start to push the settings down again, but I'm hoping not so much if the consoles are going for 4K too.

I still don't like HDR, but I haven't experimented with the settings enough to make it look good. Out of the box, it looks awful.
Ubisoft HDR is really bad. Play Jedi Fallen Order and become an HDR believer.
 
Seriously no black Friday deal on the 48" CX? Breaks all tradition with previous years models. I know it came out later than the 55"+ models, but come on even the 55" is $100 cheaper than the 48" currently. It doesn't look like this model will even be discounted at all until the inevitable 2021 model comes out.
 
Seriously no black Friday deal on the 48" CX? Breaks all tradition with previous years models. I know it came out later than the 55"+ models, but come on even the 55" is $100 cheaper than the 48" currently. It doesn't look like this model will even be discounted at all until the inevitable 2021 model comes out.
The 48 is a hot item. No reason to discount something if it's selling.
 
Seriously no black Friday deal on the 48" CX? Breaks all tradition with previous years models. I know it came out later than the 55"+ models, but come on even the 55" is $100 cheaper than the 48" currently. It doesn't look like this model will even be discounted at all until the inevitable 2021 model comes out.
Costco has a deal on it.
 
Anyone know how to activate multiview? Im trying to have my console show up at the same time as my pc but cant find it in the home button where it has been in the two previous OLED line up...
 
Anyone know how to activate multiview? Im trying to have my console show up at the same time as my pc but cant find it in the home button where it has been in the two previous OLED line up...
I think it's been removed on the CX.
 
I think it's been removed on the CX.
Yeah definitely removed. But don't worry, it was a huge pile of crap even on the C9. It would show you two 16:9 inputs, of which one had to be the TV signal. Then those were shrunk down to the middle of the screen with some constantly shown UI elements.

It was pretty unusable. Which is a real shame because a proper PbP mode with splitting even just two inputs horizontally or vertically would be just awesome.
 
I just placed an order via Amazon for the LG CX48 to replace my Dell AW3420DW. Just curious how everyone's experience is going so far using this as a PC gaming monitor? I play AAA RPGs, Strategy Games, Immersive games etc... hoping this is a solid replacement for my UW. I was also VERY fortunate to grab a Asus Strix 3090 OC and this felt like the perfect pairing.

caffix Play any strategy game with the LG CX yet? And I just started Valhalla, so pumped to try when this beast arrives.
 
Last edited:
Yup I play a bit of everything on it including strategy games (Total War, Age of Empires, Sins of Solar Empire lately). In some of those, like Age of Empires, the increased resolution actually increases your field of view as well so it's a huge benefit over the non 4k monitors I've gamed with until now.
 
I just placed an order via Amazon for the LG CX48 to replace my Dell AW3420DW. Just curious how everyone's experience is going so far using this as a PC gaming monitor? I play AAA RPGs, Strategy Games, Immersive games etc... hoping this is a solid replacement for my UW. I was also VERY fortunate to grab a Asus Strix 3090 OC and this felt like the perfect pairing.

caffix Play any strategy game with the LG CX yet? And I just started Valhalla, so pumped to try when this beast arrives.
I've tried a few. Anno 1800 looks incredible, but isn't my kind of game. Total War: Three Kingdoms is excellent, but it does jutter a tiny bit on maximum ultra + VSYNC settings, which surprised me a bit. I suspect it has this problem on a lot of resolutions though.

I've also been trying RPGs like Divinity 2, and Pathfinder: Kingmaker - these look stunning at 4K.

Good luck with your combo, you are going to LOVE it! The LG CX makes anything you can throw at it look incredible.
 
For those wondering about AMD 6800XT (overclocked) vs 3090 performance check out this video.


It's a decently powered gpu but it's performace varies a lot by game. You'd have to compare stock~modestly overclocked on both to be fair apples to apples also. Nvidia's DLSS ai upscaling and RTX raytracing R&D is probably always going to be ahead of amd's along with solid partnerships with devs for AAA games (e.g. cyberpunk) too so that is something to consider. Bang for buck always worth considering though also.

Personally I prefer to dial my over the top graphics settings in(down) enough to get 100fps average (dialing the motion clarity and motion definition and effective VRR Hz UP) .. so the less I have to turn down the better. If possible I'd prefer to turn down nothing, or at least just turn down AA (or even off) unless using a DLSS supported game's DLSS AA, and turn down max animated shadows/in distance, etc. Also willing to try 3840x1660 uw rez to save some frame rate if that works fully features wise on the LG CX.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt/

jedi-fallen-order-3840-2160.png

assassins-creed-odyssey-3840-2160.png

gears-5-3840-2160.png

metro-exodus-3840-2160.png
 
Last edited:
Yup I play a bit of everything on it including strategy games (Total War, Age of Empires, Sins of Solar Empire lately). In some of those, like Age of Empires, the increased resolution actually increases your field of view as well so it's a huge benefit over the non 4k monitors I've gamed with until now.
Ok, awesome.... was hoping for increased field of view in some strategy games.


I've tried a few. Anno 1800 looks incredible, but isn't my kind of game. Total War: Three Kingdoms is excellent, but it does jutter a tiny bit on maximum ultra + VSYNC settings, which surprised me a bit. I suspect it has this problem on a lot of resolutions though.

I've also been trying RPGs like Divinity 2, and Pathfinder: Kingmaker - these look stunning at 4K.

Good luck with your combo, you are going to LOVE it! The LG CX makes anything you can throw at it look incredible.

It seems all systems are taxed by recent total war games. They are CPU dependent and don’t like higher multi core CPUs. I think I’ve seen folks disable cores to get better performance.

And yes,very very pumped. Haven’t built in 8+ years so went crazy on this build. 5900X, Asus 3090, 32 GB of Memory and now the LG CX48.
 
I've been considering picking up the CX, but I'm not sure about going back to the days of HEUG TV monitor play. Right now I have a Samsung 27" 1440p 144hz etc.. and I have been considering a step up to 4K . However, it seems like it could be a trade off.

Right now there are no OLED "smaller" monitors of sufficient quality, it seems. Instead, you're depending upon FALD (and getting lots of local dimming areas can be very expensive last I checked), especially if you want 4K + 144hz which are just starting to show up. Now, I see these OLED TVs and they're finally HDMI 2.1 (though I wish they'd also support Display Port! ) but it seems they use...120hz over 144hz for some reason? Now maybe there's a reason here, maybe its some "TV" element or whatnot, but I thought 144hz was the "sweet spot" for refresh rate with high image quality? Finally, I'm concerned about burn-in given that OLEDs apparently have that problem and using it as a monitor seems the most likely way to result in burn-in. Is this still really an issue?

At the moment the "black friday" price for these tends to be about $1500...right? Or is there somewhere better?
 
I thought 144hz was the "sweet spot" for refresh rate with high image quality?

you'd have to be running around 126fps average to even be touching a 141 fps cap regularly in a variable frame rate graph at 4k resolution on a demanding game - so for most modern games that doesn't come into play.

That would be something like (96) 111 fpsHz <<<< 126fps ave >>>> 141 fpsHz (156) ... minus a few really bad potholes

To get 141 fps solid for most of the graph you'd need to be running around 170fps average or more.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Having high hz without supplying frame rates to fill it isn't doing anything appreciable. Also, from a competitive standpoint, even the highest tick game servers are only serving about 56hz worth of game world state updates and that's if you consider the guess your client makes between your current and previous 2 frames accurate enough and how they combine it with the guesstimate of everyone's else on the server's actions and states across their "rewound" ping times.

e.g. server time = current server time minus (25 to 40ms ping) + 15.6ms client interp

So you are always getting a guestimate related to your (hopefully 25ms to 40ms) ping + 15.6ms interp (on the best ping servers) which is over 40ms that has to be compensated for. That's not even considering everyone else playing on the server's time relationship to the server and how the server's code resolves things (for example, shooting each other "at the same time", peeking around a corner/in a window and back quickly, etc.). A lot of games have way worse than 128tick ~> 15.6ms interp too so the actual update rate of game world states would be even worse and have more guesswork and rewriting of history.

Command Execution Time = Current Server Time – (Packet Latency + Client View Interpolation)


Put into English this means that once you pull the trigger and this information package gets sent to the server, it then goes back from the current server time (the time the pulling the trigger package was received) by your ping plus your interpolation time. Only then it is determined if the client hit the shot or not.

If you were playing on a LAN against other players on the same LAN, on a server on the same LAN, you'd get latency of 3ms to 7ms. Marketing for monitors acts like you are being served at 144hz or 360Hz of game world states in online game competitions . That's just false advertising... (and with lower frame rates locally for most people on most games besides).
 
Last edited:
I'm sorry that people looking for a discount on the 48-inch model are disappointed.

But I'm also incredibly pleased. This is a strong message to manufacturers that gamers want great quality OLED panels for desktop usage. In the long term it will benefit all of us, more 40-inch or similar high quality variants will be available, and hopefully at better prices too.
 
Regarding FPS, I thought the strength of such a frequency transcended being able to capitalize on running at an equivalent frequency (ie 144FPS or near to it most of the time), thanks to the use of FreeSync / VRR tech? Or is that not typically the case? After all, with the exception of some very old / not very demanding titles, its going to be hard for anything but the highest GPU tiers at any given time these days (plus of course the TITAN ultra high end, like the 3090 or possibly the upcoming 6900XT etc) to routinely come close to 144 or 120 FPS for that matter.
 
I'm sorry that people looking for a discount on the 48-inch model are disappointed.

But I'm also incredibly pleased. This is a strong message to manufacturers that gamers want great quality OLED panels for desktop usage. In the long term it will benefit all of us, more 40-inch or similar high quality variants will be available, and hopefully at better prices too.
The 48" model is a perfect cross-over model between a large monitor and a small(ish) TV. It appeals to 2 markets at once. What's more is that it is not only an awesome Smart TV, but it is also a top-tier gaming monitor as well. I can't think of another product outside of LG's OLED TV's that is a near perfect in both categories.
 
Regarding FPS, I thought the strength of such a frequency transcended being able to capitalize on running at an equivalent frequency (ie 144FPS or near to it most of the time), thanks to the use of FreeSync / VRR tech? Or is that not typically the case? After all, with the exception of some very old / not very demanding titles, its going to be hard for anything but the highest GPU tiers at any given time these days (plus of course the TITAN ultra high end, like the 3090 or possibly the upcoming 6900XT etc) to routinely come close to 144 or 120 FPS for that matter.

Typical frame rate graph looks like this below. This particular one is metro exodus running at 75fps average. VRR/g-sync/free-sync let the monitor's refresh rate (Hz) change to match the roller coaster of rates on the graph without hiccups like judder, stutter, or tearing.

398955_small_metro-rtx-3090.jpg

You could imagine that 75fps middle point as any frame rate average in a different game and extrapolate to imagine how the frame rate variance would apply generally.

VRR doesn't magically let you feed 144fps to run 144Hz. It lets you turn your graphics setting up a little higher and/or run higher resolutions while kind of splitting the difference between worse frame rates and decent ones when possible. In general it could just be considered smoothing of frame rate variance's effect on monitor refreshes I guess.

On the very low end of the scale for people who chose to run average frame rates that drop very low in their variance (to 48fps and lower) --- it duplicates those very low frame rates to stay within the VRR's Hz range (typically the lower limit of monitor's VRR is 48hz). Otherwise you'd get horrible stuttering when hitting sub 48fps. This can happen even when running an average frame rate of 75 fps for example since some game's frame rate graphs can dip 15 to 30 fps from their average, sometimes even lower on the odd frame rate pothole (see the lowest dips on the graph above) . Instead of dropping below 48fpsHz, the tech just keeps "freeze frames" of the same action state shown over and over - each frame doubled or tripled as necessary.. (e.g. 30fps x 2 = 60fps with the same "frozen" frames shown twice as long).

4k resolution is very demanding. However some modern demanding games can still get over 70fps and some even hit 100fps-Hz average. If you are willing to dial a few over the top graphics settings in (down) , to get your fpsHz and resulting motion clarity and motion definition UP , you can probably still hit 100fps-Hz average on a lot of game with a top tier gpu like a 3090. Another option is to run an uw resolution for gaming on the LG CX which could save (add) 10fps perhaps. DLSS 2.0 support games should get a good frame rate even with DLSS quality setting but if people choose to run RTX/raytracing it'll crush the frame rate again.
 
Costco. $1450, 100 hulu card, free extended warranty (5 years), and black friday deal 100 costco cash. Use your costco visa card and you'll have 7 years warranty total. (not for burn in but for everything else).
 
I've tried two different laptops both at HDMI (8k cable that can do 4k @120hz, and the 4k @60hz) STILL stuck at 30hz. I tried doing intel custom scale and just trying to increase the refresh rate and no matter what it's stuck at 30hz. :(

Anyone get this issue with a laptop connect directly or even using a new HP usb-c G5 docking station? I've also tried a displayport adapter to hdmi that supposedly can do 4k@60hz but still can only do 30hz.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've tried two different laptops both at HDMI (8k cable that can do 4k @120hz, and the 4k @60hz) STILL stuck at 30hz. I tried doing intel custom scale and just trying to increase the refresh rate and no matter what it's stuck at 30hz. :(

Anyone get this issue with a laptop connect directly or even using a new HP usb-c G5 docking station? I've also tried a displayport adapter to hdmi that supposedly can do 4k@60hz but still can only do 30hz.
It's probably a HDMI 1.4 laptop. Not all Intel graphics laptops are HDMI 2.0. The only option left is to use the CAC-1085 DisplayPort to HDMI 2.1 adapter. I was able to get 4K 60 Hz out of an Intel graphics laptop with this.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's probably a HDMI 1.4 laptop. Not all Intel graphics laptops are HDMI 2.0. The only option left is to use the CAC-1085 DisplayPort to HDMI 2.1 adapter. I was able to get 4K 60 Hz out of an Intel graphics laptop with this.
I finally figured it out after some more googling, since the G5 docking station is supposedly capable of 4k 60hz. I had to go to bios and Enable High Resolution mode when connected to a USB-C DP alt mode dock.
Basically it will change the usb ports to 2.0 which is fine for me since I dont need any high speed ports, I just do basic things with online apps.

What a fricken headache, work setup is now running at 60hz so input lag isnt too bad any more. Still not as good as 120hz, so maybe in 3 years where work will upgrade my laptop again Ill be ready! Hopefully by then we have 4k 240z oled displays.
 
Finally got a 3080 and updated the FW if the LG to .11.30 via USB - VRR works fine across the whole range.

However - yesterday it was the first time I actually noticed the VRR 120Hz flickering issue. It was more than just annoying scrolling through menus in Kodi, running Kodi in Borderless Windowed mode and enabling G-Sync only for exclusive fullscreen fixed that. Also Kodi was crashing with refresh rate change and VRR enabled.

I always thought that thid VRR gamma flickering everyone was talking about was something subtle (did see some subtle flickering in some titles and though that was it, but nope, I think that was an issue with the game engine rather than the CX) - but this actually is very prominent and extremely annoying in the wrong circumstances, definitely not subtle at all.
 
Finally got a 3080 and updated the FW if the LG to .11.30 via USB - VRR works fine across the whole range.

However - yesterday it was the first time I actually noticed the VRR 120Hz flickering issue. It was more than just annoying scrolling through menus in Kodi, running Kodi in Borderless Windowed mode and enabling G-Sync only for exclusive fullscreen fixed that. Also Kodi was crashing with refresh rate change and VRR enabled.

I always thought that thid VRR gamma flickering everyone was talking about was something subtle (did see some subtle flickering in some titles and though that was it, but nope, I think that was an issue with the game engine rather than the CX) - but this actually is very prominent and extremely annoying in the wrong circumstances, definitely not subtle at all.
This might be just an issue of trying to use VRR on an app that is not meant to use it. On my Samsung CRG9 I could get flicker on some apps because G-Sync triggered on say Spotify. Adding that app to Nvidia Control Panel and setting it to Fixed refresh corrects the issue so try the same with Kodi.
 
4k resolution is very demanding. However some modern demanding games can still get over 70fps and some even hit 100fps-Hz average. If you are willing to dial a few over the top graphics settings in (down) , to get your fpsHz and resulting motion clarity and motion definition UP , you can probably still hit 100fps-Hz average on a lot of game with a top tier gpu like a 3090. Another option is to run an uw resolution for gaming on the LG CX which could save (add) 10fps perhaps. DLSS 2.0 support games should get a good frame rate even with DLSS quality setting but if people choose to run RTX/raytracing it'll crush the frame rate again.
I'd add that the CX 48 allows for quite a lot of options for increasing performance or changing the gaming experience to your preference:
  • Integer scaling for 1080p without additional blur caused by scaling. I still think 1440p with image sharpening looks better because 1080p does not resolve enough detail. Maybe an option for maintaining a solid 120 fps in multiplayer shooters where fidelity isn't so important due to their fast pace.
  • Custom ultrawide resolutions like 3840x1600, 3440x1440 etc.
  • No scaling so you can play at 1080p or 1440p in a smaller section of the screen without scaling issues. I haven't tried 1080p like this but 1440p without scaling is about the same size as a 31.5" 1440p display would be. Might want a display mount that lets you bring the screen closer to you in this situation.
  • Running at something a bit less than 4K. Many games nowadays offer a resolution scaling option and those that don't can use the image sharpening scaling feature in NVCP. Say 80% of 4K (3072x1728) with some image sharpening applied looks surprisingly close to native 4K to the point that when you are not just sitting still pixel counting and looking at every fine detail it can be difficult to tell the difference and the performance boost is fairly significant.
  • DLSS 2.0 as you said. It's awesome and hopefully found in all the games coming out next year.
Especially the sub-native option works better on a 4K screen than anything lower res. The area between 1440p and 4K still has enough fidelity that things look great and a bit of image sharpening helps reduce the blur of a non-native res to the point that it's not a big deal.
 
  • Like
Reactions: elvn
like this
Back
Top