LG 32GS95UE – OLED 31.5″ with 4K @ 240Hz and 1080p @ 480Hz Support - The death knell of LCD panels

They seriously did a drop in the middle of the night? Meh well at least one good thing about not able to snag one of these monitors is that it is at least forcing me to wait on reviews to see which is the best option.
Yeah the MPG model went live at 10:15PM PST and it continued to pop up here and there through out the night since Bestbuy never drops their load all at once.

It's a crazy deal considering you get a $100 steam gift card for writing a 5 sentence review.

I'm worried about MSI firmware since I've never owned one of their monitors but we'll see when it arrives. The problem is I don't have a My Bestbuy Membership to get the 60 day return window. The LG will arrive well past that return window so I'll probably have to sell it if I like the LG better.

Last edited:
Yeah the MPG model went live at 10:15PM PST and it continued to pop up here and there through out the night since Bestbuy never drops their load all at once.

It's a crazy deal considering you get a $100 steam gift card for writing a 5 sentence review.

I'm worried about MSI firmware since I've never owned one of their monitors but we'll see when it arrives. The problem is I don't have a My Bestbuy Membership to get the 60 day return window. The LG will arrive well past that return window so I'll probably have to sell it if I like the LG better.
from everything i read here and else where, i'm going to say you will like to LG better :)

from everything i read here and else where, i'm going to say you will like to LG better :)
I'm thinking the same but maybe my wallet will beg to differ ($920 vs $1400 after tax). I just need to settle this color volume crap once and for all with my own eyes.

I'm thinking the same but maybe my wallet will beg to differ ($920 vs $1400 after tax). I just need to settle this color volume crap once and for all with my own eyes.

I mean the difference is indeed there. The issue is that in real world usage you would probably be hard pressed to notice any perceivable difference since the QD OLED advantage only lies in the 1-5% APL range. So with perceivable color brightness being equal in the vast majority of HDR gaming, the main thing that will differentiate the two is raw brightness for that HDR "wow factor" and it looks like LG is poised to win in that regard.

I mean the difference is indeed there. The issue is that in real world usage you would probably be hard pressed to notice any perceivable difference since the QD OLED advantage only lies in the 1-5% APL range. So with perceivable color brightness being equal in the vast majority of HDR gaming, the main thing that will differentiate the two is raw brightness for that HDR "wow factor" and it looks like LG is poised to win in that regard.
Yeah I agree. There are other things like grey uniformity and color temp uniformity on white both of which I've had horrendous luck with when it comes to WOLED while QD-OLED panels are much cleaner and consistent. Also, I really hated the text quality on the AW3423DW and greatly preferred my 42 C2's text. With both these panels using updated pixel structures, it will also be a factor on which to keep.

I want to force a really low APL scenario to see what that color advantage actually amounts to. Right now I'm trying to make a list of newer games that really flex a panels color performance because it's been almost 2 years since I compared the AW to the C2.

I've said it a million times....120hz is for boomers!

There is no substitute for HRZ and HDR looks incredible on the Alienware 32 (in a pitch black room)

I've said it a million times....120hz is for boomers!
Nah, it is for people who like shiny graphics. Even with a 4090, I'm rarely able to push more than 120fps in modern titles with things cranked up, and there's more than a few times where 60ish is all I'm getting. Don't get me wrong, I like high frame rates, but it is something that requires tradeoffs in resolution or graphical fidelity on current titles.

Nah, it is for people who like shiny graphics. Even with a 4090, I'm rarely able to push more than 120fps in modern titles with things cranked up, and there's more than a few times where 60ish is all I'm getting. Don't get me wrong, I like high frame rates, but it is something that requires tradeoffs in resolution or graphical fidelity on current titles.

If it's single player game yea whatever 120 will suffice....but multiplayer I'll cut eye candy or DLSS my way to 160+ fps

MSI arrives tomorrow. I wish we had a collective thread for these 32" OLED's. Maybe I'll make one. Or maybe it's better to keep them separate.

Just got my MSI order in. The wait to order is FINALLY over. AND it's literally the cheapest model too heh.

1708583490242.png

Today is the last day to sign up on the lg store page to get 100 dollar off code. Said they'd deliver codes March 1st so guessing we can pre-order then.

Today is the last day to sign up on the lg store page to get 100 dollar off code. Said they'd deliver codes March 1st so guessing we can pre-order then.
I wasn't aware of this... Thanks!

Reactions: wooj
like this
Preorders are available from LG.com but won't ship until late April. People have had success speaking with CS for a 15% off code.

$1400? Dude that's even more expensive than the PG32UCDM. Yeah no thanks I'd rather saving the extra $500 by keeping my MSI than go for this LG, especially when I will never use the 1080p mode.

It's $1299 with their preorder code. The PG32UCDP will probably start at $1499.

Both really make no sense unless on heavy discount but the MSI is extremely difficult for people to buy right now. My friends are still trying to land one.

Yeah MSI is just too crazy good of a deal. I do want the MPG model for the firmware updates and $100 steam gift card but I'm sure it will remain difficult to obtain until well after my return period expires on my MAG, so at this point I really don't care anymore as the MAG is "good enough" as is so if I can't score an MPG model then oh well!

welp, they do give you a 10% code if you sign up to their email blast which didn't work on the preorder. Didnt receive the 100 off code yet either in email.
I ended up emailing their order support email to see if they'd give me the 15%

So uhh this is confirmed matte, that could be a huge dealbreaker for me. Will it use the same heavy grainy matte on their other OLED?

I'm also hearing rumors it has a fan, is that confirmed?

It's confirmed matte and likely the same coating found on the 27. Yeah there is for sure a fan because the VESA mount area has holes for intake.

had no luck contacting support for a promo code and didn't receive an email with the 100 dollar off code either :/

It's confirmed matte and likely the same coating found on the 27. Yeah there is for sure a fan because the VESA mount area has holes for intake.

Oh darn I really hated that coating, and I hate fans in monitors. Oh well, that's a pity because this thing looks beautiful and pre-order is still up. I hope to see more companies go no bezel lol. Guess I'll go back to trying to get the MSI and ASUS qdoled each time they go in stock for 5 seconds lol.

Oh darn I really hated that coating, and I hate fans in monitors. Oh well, that's a pity because this thing looks beautiful. I hope to see more companies go no bezel lol.
The 27 also had a fan and there are some reports of buzz/coil whine but it's actually the fans poor noise quality.

This guy is obsessed with glossy panel coatings. You can tell straight away from his ridiculous thumbnail that he’s just going to moan about the matte coating. Same old boring rant
Yeah fuck that guy, he has complained about matte coatings in literally so many videos I've casually seen. I'd just ignore anything he says on that subject because he's just incapable of nuance.

Reactions: Drags
like this
Does nits really matter? Do most people play in the middle of the day with the blinds wide open or do most gamers play late at night while family is asleep or early morning before work?

Does nits really matter? Do most people play in the middle of the day with the blinds wide open or do most gamers play late at night while family is asleep or early morning before work?

I don't know. But I know my eyes see the same thing the guy in the video they're complaining about does. I've spent 10,000 hours in MS Paint making a visual representation of what I see with the same light source behind the monitor with glossy vs matte.

glossvsmatte.jpg

I can EASILY ignore the glossy reflection, the matte one makes my eyes water and I can't stand it, I cannot even tell what the monitor is trying to display behind the horrible greasy glare-stain so I have to get up and adjust curtains or try to block the light. I'm currently using my monitor in a small sitting room that is sort of a porch extension, With around 48 ft of wall on the 3 sides behind my screen, probably 40 of that space are taken up by large windows. Its is not dark in here by any means. I will take glossy 100 out of 10 times.

Reactions: elvn
like this
I don't know. But I know my eyes see the same thing the guy in the video they're complaining about does. I've spent 10,000 hours in MS Paint making a visual representation of what I see with the same light source behind the monitor with glossy vs matte.

989762_glossvsmatte.jpg

I can EASILY ignore the glossy reflection, the matte one makes my eyes water and I can't stand it, I cannot even tell what the monitor is trying to display behind the horrible greasy glare-stain so I have to get up and adjust curtains or try to block the light. I'm currently using my monitor in a small sitting room that is sort of a porch extension, With around 48 ft of wall on the 3 sides behind my screen, probably 40 of that space are taken up by large windows. Its is not dark in here by any means. I will take glossy 100 out of 10 times.

Great article you linked. That is a huge con/tradeoff to me. Unfortunately most of the FALD LCD screens have matte abraded outer layer like that, and some of the OLEDs, especially OLED desktop monitors. If you use a screen with a matte-abraded outer layer in the same dim to dark viewing conditions that an OLED works best in, some of those tradeoffs would be less prominent at least. Still it's a shame there aren't more glossy options.

They always say the black depth is raised more to grey blacks, and that the contrast is lowered, which is true and is bad enough. However in my experience matte abraded/ag also ends up losing the saturated look you get from that wet ice, clear glossy screen. It also can make an over-layer look on the screen when the ag is "activated" by ambient or direct light, which can make you feel like you are looking through a plastic layer instead of right at the screen surface. Abraded screen layer can also affect clarity with the "sheen", a small degree of DSE (dirty screen effect), some say "vasoline sheen" when enough ambient light hits it. The light from inside of the panel coming out is also being diffused somewhat by the abrasions.

From that tftcentral article you linked:
This “meter-to-panel” measurement approach only tells one part of the story though, as it is really capturing the maximum contrast ratio the panel is capable of. In real use you are sat much further away from the panel’s surface, and the way you perceive the image on the screen, and the black depth, and therefore the resulting contrast ratio, will be influenced by a number of variables. These include:

Variables impacting perceived black depth and contrast ratio
  • 1. Ambient lighting and brightness of your viewing environment
  • 2. The location and positioning of any light sources (i.e. lamps, lights and windows)
  • 3. The coating on the screen surface, which has a direct impact on how internal light from the panel/backlight, and external light from other sources is handled
  • 4. Your viewing position

It's not just a static thing, ambient lighting. People allow their ambient lighting conditions to shift, change over time - from daylight to night, cloud cover/weather, seasons/time of the year. Our eyes view everything relatively so your parameters are going to change to your eyes/brain as your viewing environment changes, no matter what values they were technically set to be at. Just like a phone at 100% brightness might look dim in bright sunlight, but way too bright in a dark bedroom at night. Every lighting change significantly away from where you set your baseline screen values will alter the way your eyes+brain see the screen so your calibration or factory calibration + tweaking state goes "out the window". On my living room tv, I keep a number of different named picture settings in order to adjust for different room lighting levels. In the room I keep my gaming rig, I just control the room lighting like a studio or home theater.

There are a lot of tradeoffs between different screens, especially FALD and OLEDs. I've been considering a FALD in the future to get some of the features that aren't available in oled. Namely 8k 120hz that can do 4k 240hz, but also looking at different form factors only available in FALD LCD. If or when I ever try a modern FALD, the abraded outer layer would unfortunately be one of the biggest trade-offs to me from a glossy 4k 120hz OLED.

=================================

This has been argued in hardforum threads many times. Here is how I see it.

====================

Think of it like a light haze on clear "dry" ice vs. ultra clear wet ice.

Direct light sources hitting a screen are going to pollute the screen surface regardless. Some (many?) people are using their screens in poor setups. It's just like audio or photography - you should set up your environment to suit your hardware/screen not the other way around imo.

Like I said, improper lighting conditions and room layouts that allow direct light sources to hit a screen surface are going to pollute the screen regardless, as shown in the images below.
983106_ag.vs.glossy.reflecting-direct-light-source_1.png

983107_ag.vs.glossy.reflecting-direct-light-source_2.png

983109_half.matte.half.glossy.screen_vega-1.jpg

Since traditionally desks have been laid out up against the wall like a bookshelf, or upright piano with sheet music against a wall - most setups act like a catcher's mitt for direct light source pollution from behind and overhead. Professional/reference monitors often come with a hood that covers the top and some of the sides, like some production cameras have. Light pollution (as well as allowing lighting conditions to change throughout the day) will alter/pollute how even a calibrated screen's values are seen and perceived.

The direct light source vectors hitting the matte or ag screens will blow out contrast and pale saturation, washing out areas of the screen they hit and are diffused onto. Allowing lighting conditions to change will also alter the way our eyes/brain perceives the screen's contrast and saturation so even their "calibrated" values will be lost to your eyes and brain. E.g. the screen will look more pale, weakly contrasted and undersaturated the brighter the room gets, and vice versa. Some keep several sets of settings so that they can switch between them for different times of the day or different room lighting conditions. So you are going to get compromised results if you don't design your viewing environment more optimally no matter what screen coating you have.

. . . . . . . . . .

From TFTcentral review of the PG42UQ:

The PG42UQ features a more traditional monitor-like matte anti-glare coating, as opposed to a glossy panel coating like you’d find on TV’s including the LG C2. This does a very good job of reducing reflections and handling external light sources like windows and lamps and we noticed much better reflection handling (no surprise) than the LG C2. However this does mean that in some conditions the blacks do not look as deep or inky visually to the user. With this being an OLED panel, famous for its true blacks and amazing contrast ratio this could be considered a problem – are you “wasting” that by having an AG coating that reduces your perceived contrast?
In certain conditions blacks look a little more dark grey as the anti-reflective coating reflects some of the surrounding light back at you and it “dulls” the contrast a bit. The anti-glare coating means the image is not as clear and clean as a fully glossy coating. You don’t get this same effect if the coating is fully glossy as there’s no AG layer, but what you do get instead is more reflections. Don’t forget this same thing applies to all AG coated desktop monitors, you have the same impact on perceived black depth and contrast on IPS, TN Film and VA panels depending on your lighting conditions if there’s an AG coating used. You’d still get better relative blacks and contrast on the OLED (not to mention other benefits) compared with LCD technologies. They are all impacted in the same way by their coatings.

While they are concentrating on how it affects the blacks which is bad enough, it can also degrade the color saturation as it creates a haze.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...-more-reflections/?comments=1&comments-page=1

Or course you are seeing this picture below on whatever screen surface you are using at the moment so it's more of a simulation.

. . . . . .

983145_matte-vs-glossy_3.jpg

https://euro.dough.tech/blogs/news/matte-vs-glossy-gaming-monitors-technology-explained

983148_matte-vs-glossy_1.jpg

983149_matte-vs-glossy_2.jpg

983154_matte-vs-glossy_4.png

983155_matte-vs-glossy_5.jpg

Last edited:
Depends heavily on what kind of space you have to work with. I have always set my displays to about 120-130 nits and have sunlight coming in through curtains during the day. It's not an issue for me to see the displays at all.

I found glossy reflections more problematic in my previous apartment when I used the LG CX 48". During the brightest summer days just light reflecting from a wall behind me was enough to bother.

Nits make a MASSIVE Difference.

If you want to be forced to ALWAYS use your monitor in a dark room ( and ok with your screen burning in) then OLED is a potential choice for you.

If you want a monitor that is versatile and can work in any lighting conditions (and won't burn in no matter how bright) with super impactful HDR then a high quality mini-led is the better choice.

I've had both so I know the differences.

I don't think any manufacturer is going to give us glossy OLED monitors. (Dough doesn't count) I'd swap my 27GR95QE in a second if I could find a glossy OLED monitor. It's just not likely to happen.

Back