Lenovo posts X220 specs, IPS display is an option

I got mine yesterday, and I'm loving it so far. Running a fresh install of windows 7, took a lot of drivers but this thing is very fast and the screen is beautiful.

The only thing that bothers me though, is it seems that the hard plastic dots on the top of the screen are leaving impressions on the area near the touchpad. Does anyone else have this problem? Here's a pic so you have an idea of what I mean:

I got mine yesterday, and I'm loving it so far. Running a fresh install of windows 7, took a lot of drivers but this thing is very fast and the screen is beautiful.

The only thing that bothers me though, is it seems that the hard plastic dots on the top of the screen are leaving impressions on the area near the touchpad. Does anyone else have this problem? Here's a pic so you have an idea of what I mean:

Same thing happened to mine. They really should have used rubber standoff pads. Over time those plastic dots are going to ruin the lines of the X220...

Congrats! I have the x220t tablet and there are rubber posts on it in the corners of the palm rests to support the screen in tablet mode but they also prevent the screen from coming into contact with the keyboard and track pad when the lid is closed. You could probably get some kind of small self-adhesive pads and achieve the same effect as on the tablet version.

Are there any brick and mortar stores that carry the X220? I'm kinda tempted to switch to one but I -need- to play with it in person first, otherwise I will just grab a 13" MBA.

Micro Center has occasionally stocked Thinkpads. Otherwise no luck.

:( What is the return policy like? I noticed I can get a X220 w/ 120GB SSD, IPS display, and 9 cell for just under $1000 shipped if I use the current ultraportable coupon code and student discount.

Last edited:
pCUCa.png

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/students.shtml
Starts out at $751.61.
Drop to Home Premium - $712.01
Add IPS - $751.61
Add 120GB SSD - $973.37
Add 9 Cell - $997.13

I guess this price is good until August 3rd. Damn, I don't get my federal aid until mid August. Wonder if they'd still let me get the same deal.

Man I wish I got the x220 instead of my T420s. Ultraportable size + tablet screen = :eek: I think I'll be selling my laptop to get one.

Man I wish I got the x220 instead of my T420s. Ultraportable size + tablet screen = :eek: I think I'll be selling my laptop to get one.

The x220 is a standard laptop, the x220t is the convertible tablet version. Like your username.;)

Good god, how did you get it down that cheap?

I bought my x220i (i2310, 2 gb ram, ips screen, no OS, 4 cell battery) for just under $600 shipped. Regretted not getting the 9 cell battery and ended up buying that, along with additional ram and a crucial c300 128gb ssd to bring my total cost to about $1000 now =X

Good god, how did you get it down that cheap?

Slower processer, 320 hd, and 6 cell battery!

I think I went through the Mastercard Marketplace (paid with Visa) and that promo code listed.

I was looking at the 2.5 i5 which is faster, includes AES and VT-d I believe, but didn't need those features. I'm not sure is the Centrino 1000 uses 3x3 antenna, but it didn't cost any extra so no harm. Too bad I ordered the sleeve though, just saw pictures and it's a little bit big. Will fit a X220 with 9 cell.

invoice2.PNG

Shipped today. I tried calling to cancel the sleeve, couldn't understand the Indian lady and then was transferred to another dept. At that point I figured I used a mastercard promo w/o a mastercard and will just keep it. I did order this snazzy messenger bag though.

Last edited:
Intel 1000 uses 1x2 one antenna is Tx/Rx, one antenna is Rx only.

Oh, well I suppose if I wanted to in the future I could probably swap the wireless card for a higher end model. My current router only does 300 Mbps. Atleast this one does the intel wireless display, unlike the thinkpad b / g/ n.

I bought my x220i (i2310, 2 gb ram, ips screen, no OS, 4 cell battery) for just under $600 shipped. Regretted not getting the 9 cell battery and ended up buying that, along with additional ram and a crucial c300 128gb ssd to bring my total cost to about $1000 now =X

I was wishing I got that deal after seeing it on SD. but after seeing it was only ~$100 difference and I get an OS, 4GB, 6 cell battery, and i5 it didn't seem like a big deal.

hey guys, i gotta display problem, and ive posting this same post at the other forums, but here it is anyway:

basically whenever im watching a video, when the camera moves to left or right quickly, the screen chops up into horizontally-cut pieces for a millisecond, and you can see the distortion in picture. Each piece is probably 10-50 pixels tall, and as long as the display, or so. Watching video gets annoying very quickly with this, and i just noticed this also happens when im in tablet mode, and the screen is turned clockwise once, so the display is oriented 9:16. when i scroll up and down quickly in this orientation, the problem is seen also, so im guessing its more about the display than the graphics. but then, i hook up a displayport cable to the laptop, and connect it to an external monitor (with no previous problems) and the problem is seen on the external monitor, when being supported by the X220T graphics and cpu. so it cant be the physical display of the X220T. cant be a bad IPS panel. its gotta be CPU/GPU/RAM related. also, i hooked up the monitor to a ps3 with HDMI and no problems were seen at all. so this is definitely not the external monitor, which is where the problem is seen better, because the monitor is much bigger. and also it cant be displayport cable problems, because the problem is also seen when the laptop is not hooked up to anything. so i think ive narrowed it down to graphics problems, oriented in one direction only, and or maybe processor problems?

just updated to newest Intel HD Graphics Driver

Back