Lenovo posts X220 specs, IPS display is an option

I'm running the factory install of Windows 7 Pro and so far I like it on my x220t. For the tablet there's a number of things that are necessary and the Simple Touch utility is actually kind of slick, it's a touch based app and utility launcher that's one of the best touch add-ons I've ever seen from an OEM.

yea simple touch looks good. i want to keep it factory, but i still want to be able to remove any bloatware i dont want, like some of these security or recovery things.

before i install the ssd, can i use acronis and take an image of the hd, then choose what i want out of it?

I found an untouched win 7 home iso online that I put on a usb and then I just installed a few of the drivers from C:\SWTOOLS\DRIVERS on the laptop hdd.. definitely a ton of bloatware

which of those are total unnecessary bloatware?

Anyone have any suggestions for ssd upgrades for the x220? My x220 just shipped and I'm considering upgrading the hdd to ssd since I have to install win7 on it anyway. I've read that it uses the thinner form factor hard disks, but I couldn't find a name for the type of drive used in it.

Last edited:
Thank you for the link. Probably could have googled more specifically for 'drives that fit x220' and find that link. I'll have to look out for deal on the C300/400 drives then.

i bought an intel 320 series. taking off the spacer is easy. the only problem is finding shorter screws for it, but i have 11 extra screws. if you want 4, pm me your address and ill ship it out. if you have anything in your paypal, id appreciate a dollar or two for shipping

woot, brand new x220T in my hot little hands. Only a i5-2520 version with MT screen. I ordered it last friday from Provantage for about 1275 shipped. Happy so far. :p

Congrats! I really like mine after two weeks, i7 version. The only issue what's a little annoying is the pen calibration along the edges is off. For me it's not a big deal as all of my inking is for note taking so pen accuracy at the edges isn't important. Seems some have the problem worse than others.

The pen is for note taking as well. Ill be using this in engineering/physics/math classes lots for formulas and the like. I am definitely no artist and I can deal with how the calibration. I hope it a software issue. I can not imagine this being a hardware issue and as such I figure it will be solved sooner or later. Now to order a ultra base, renice 120gb msata drive, and laser printer. Boy my fiance is gonna be pissed when she see's the CC bill. Even though its my own card and ill be paying it off in a few days. I just got done spending 6k+ $ bucks in a few days. New road bike, laptop and goodies. New Bed and new couches on the way... WEEE

Sounds like you're single handedly keeping the economy afloat!

Yeah, it sounds like the issue with the pen is software based from things I've read but it's nothing new to have issues with Wacom pens along the edge of the screen.

Last edited:
how do i get this simpletap thing on the new ssd. i did a clean install, and i moved the simpletouch folder onto my new ssd, but how do i install it. i cant seem to find any install application.

Just ordered one of these, with an i5-2410m and IPS display, I'm pretty excited to get it. Coming from a macbook pro :D

How long did it take to ship out? The estimated time is 4 weeks for mine, I'm hoping it doesn't take that long but I can manage if it does.

I got my x220t in about 2.5 weeks. Unless you ordered yours with an SSD (adding the 160 GB SSD was adding a 4 week delay when I ordered) I would think that you'll get yours as fast. So what kept you from getting another Mac Book?

Mine just shipped yesterday. I ordered it on 6/17, but it had an estimated ship date of 7/29. I hope it clears customs and everything very quickly. I should have it sometime this week.

Just ordered one of these, with an i5-2410m and IPS display, I'm pretty excited to get it. Coming from a macbook pro :D

How long did it take to ship out? The estimated time is 4 weeks for mine, I'm hoping it doesn't take that long but I can manage if it does.

I went with the i3 based x220i but with the IPS display as a good ultraportable with a nice screen, and the capability to output hd video to one of my TV's at home whenever I feel like watching a stream of some sort. It's been a great little computer after I installed win7 on it, solid exterior case, sturdy keyboard that feels great to type on, beautiful IPS screen, and just enough processor speed.

I got my x220t in about 2.5 weeks. Unless you ordered yours with an SSD (adding the 160 GB SSD was adding a 4 week delay when I ordered) I would think that you'll get yours as fast. So what kept you from getting another Mac Book?
I just got tired of Apple, the OS is nice but I realized after a while I just prefer a native W7/Linux environment. I know you can dual-boot, but the battery life and temperatures were horrible on my macbook even with the proper drivers. Plus I've always been a fan of the thinkpad design :p

I guess I'll be playing the waiting game, thankfully I have my nook color (now with MIUI!) to play with in the meantime.
I went with the i3 based x220i but with the IPS display as a good ultraportable with a nice screen, and the capability to output hd video to one of my TV's at home whenever I feel like watching a stream of some sort. It's been a great little computer after I installed win7 on it, solid exterior case, sturdy keyboard that feels great to type on, beautiful IPS screen, and just enough processor speed.
Good to hear, now I just have to pick up a DP -> HDMI adapter from monoprice. :)

1366x768... dammit. :(

(I really really hate that resolution.)

Decent little machine I suppose, but that resolution is a big huge brick wall to me. I simply won't buy a laptop anytime soon that has 16:9, can't tolerate it... just one of my ultra-pet-peeves that I'll never get over I guess.

Pure Intel goodness, however, so that's a bonus. :D

oh the terror, how can you even continue to carry on, with all those 16:9 tv's and films everywhere....you must be about to go into convulsions..:rolleyes:

i mean seriously bro....get over it already, 16:9 is here, many other bigger issues to have a stroke over

Every PC monitor we have, laptop or desktop and all our HDTV's are all 16:9....and it's awesome!

Yeah, I don't get the all of the hate for 16:9 1366x768. While I can understand not liking for larger screens on a 12.5" like the x220 it works pretty well, I don't feel like I'm missing anything of can't work efficiently even when developing in Visual Studio 2010.

I got my x220 last week after a couple weeks of processing and shipping. The keyboard is amazing, battery life is insane (9-cell). I have done a few skype video calls with my wife who is temporarily away and the mic/camera quality is very good. Boot time is a little slower than I'd like (regular hard drive) but I didn't feel like waiting an indefinite amount of time for an SSD. I opted for the fingerprint scanner which works very well most of the time, although there have been a couple of times where I had to log in manually.Overall I have been very impressed, beats the hell out of my old dell.:p

1366x768... dammit. :(
(I really really hate that resolution.)
Decent little machine I suppose, but that resolution is a big huge brick wall to me. I
Same. Nice size and specs but the res would make me feel like i'm just using some super netbook. I'm a screen real estate whore I guess.

I opted for the fingerprint scanner which works very well most of the time, although there have been a couple of times where I had to log in manually.Overall I have been very impressed, beats the hell out of my old dell.:p

Congrats! Check to see if you're on the latest BIOS, 1.17, that seemed to help make the fingerprint reader quite a bit more accurate to me.

Got my new x220t today. :)

x220t.jpg

Same. Nice size and specs but the res would make me feel like i'm just using some super netbook. I'm a screen real estate whore I guess.

It is an ultraportable laptop which is the next step up from a netbook. For a 2.8 lb laptop with a 12.5" screen, the resolution is fine. Any higher resolution on such a small screen and you would not be able to read anything.

If you're looking for a 17" 1080p, 9 lb desktop replacement laptop, this is not what you're looking for anyway.

Of course your average netbook doesn't have an i5/i7 in it. This things is NOTHING like a netbook, super or otherwise. It's actually got slightly resolution and same compute hardware as the MBP 13.

Got my new x220t today. :)

Congrats! This thing really is a great convertible tablet. Unfortunately the hinge prevents it from being able to use the 9-cell battery and digitizer draws power so you we don't get the super battery life of the conventional version though it tablet version still works with the slice battery.

If you're looking for a 17" 1080p, 9 lb desktop replacement laptop, this is not what you're looking for anyway.

For me, this is pretty much right on target with everything I want except the resolution. I'm thinking 900p would have been sufficient. Don't forget that even the x200s ran 1440x900 on an even smaller 12.1" display. I haven't seen one in person yet but maybe I can manage. I'm sure a lot of users will be fine with it so enjoy.

I'm not seeing the option for infinity view or the corning "gorilla glass" at lenovo...are these coming back or... anyone know?

can someone help me out lol... when I'm naving around with the rubber finger mouse thing I'm not sure what I hit but I minimize the current window??? it's getting really annoying haha. I swear I'm not hitting any of the keys

can someone help me out lol... when I'm naving around with the rubber finger mouse thing I'm not sure what I hit but I minimize the current window??? it's getting really annoying haha. I swear I'm not hitting any of the keys

Not sure what happening but I could be a couple of things. Make sure that you're not acidentely hitting the touch pad or hitting the mouse buttons at the top of the touch pad.

Does anyone know if it's possible to change orders after they've been placed? I'm thinking about getting the 9-cell battery instead of the 6-cell, but if it would negatively effect ship time at all I probably won't bother.

Well I called up and tried to get them to swap the battery for a 9-cell, and was told it was already in production. Not 20 minutes after the call, I got a shipment notification :D

I kind of wanted the 9-cell though :(

Back