• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Leaked Windows 8 Screenshots Show Improved Taskbar

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Even though these leaked Windows 8 screenshots don't look very authentic, the rumors of an eight minute install and a two minute system restore are what really grabbed my attention.

According to Win7China, Windows 8 will be a speedy install, taking a mere eight minutes, which the site says is 2.5 times faster than Windows 7. Keep in mind, though, according to Windows 8 News, Microsoft is using a fast PC with an eight-core CPU to get those numbers. The leakers say that Microsoft has expanded its System Restore capability. Now it’s referred to as “Factory Restore,” a hard-reset function that rolls back Windows 8 to its original state in two minutes.
 
Nice. In time we will move on to more powerful systems, and 8 cores is not that far off. I for one welcome this. I wonder what the new Windows Experience Index will be like.....:rolleyes:
 
I am so upgrading to Windows 8 so I can see a progress of my mouse being installed in the taskbar!!
 
I am so upgrading to Windows 8 so I can see a progress of my mouse being installed in the taskbar!!


I agree.

They better go back to the drawing board and give me something that "actually" matters for the next version of their OS!
 
The Quick install feature, and Factory Restore has me.....if it works like suggested.:D:D
I remember the old days of Win 98 Sec Ed Plug and Play, (or Plug and Pray) I used to call it... We had some times together
 
I agree.

They better go back to the drawing board and give me something that "actually" matters for the next version of their OS!

We are looking at what someone is SAYING is Windows 8.... calm down man.... we don't even know if this is true. It could be a Photoshop for all we know.
 
We are looking at what someone is SAYING is Windows 8.... calm down man.... we don't even know if this is true. It could be a Photoshop for all we know.

I know..lol. I just wanted to make that comment in case "their watching".

:)
 
Looks like this might have been a VERY early build if it's real. Little has been said of the new Windows 8 UI but I have a feeling that it's going to be a dramatic overhaul, perhaps the biggest ever.
 
Looks like this might have been a VERY early build if it's real. Little has been said of the new Windows 8 UI but I have a feeling that it's going to be a dramatic overhaul, perhaps the biggest ever.

It happens with every iteration of Windows. Windows 7 looked exactly like Vista when the first alpha screenshots were released. Windows Vista looked very similar to XP in its early stages. Windows XP looked exactly like 2000 and so on. Heck, Windows 95 in its early stages had window controls similar to Windows 3.x.
 
It happens with every iteration of Windows. Windows 7 looked exactly like Vista when the first alpha screenshots were released. Windows Vista looked very similar to XP in its early stages. Windows XP looked exactly like 2000 and so on. Heck, Windows 95 in its early stages had window controls similar to Windows 3.x.

Precisely.
 
What amuses me is that if you are installing Win 7 from a USB drive you can already get very close to the 8 min install if not faster. I think my last reinstall was just at 9min. (installing from a USB thumb drive onto Intel 80Gb G1) So I'm not sure what all the big fuss about the 8min install is without knowing a few more details of what media they were using to install from and what kind of drive they were using to install onto.

BTW does anyone know what effect additional CPU cores have on the install time of Win 7?
 
BTW does anyone know what effect additional CPU cores have on the install time of Win 7?

None that I've noticed. But you're correct, installing from a Flash drive versus optical media drastically reduces the install time.
 
None that I've noticed. But you're correct, installing from a Flash drive versus optical media drastically reduces the install time.

I kind of figured it anything it would be the CPU speed more along the lines of a single threaded test of winzip or any other decompression algorithm. I believe the majority of the work is inflating the install image and the copying it to the drive.

I recently had to install XP for someone and realized that I am spoiled to no longer have to do that very often. That was an excruciating experience.
 
One of features I would like is complete disk cloning, for os and program backups. I don't want to spend hours reloading everything. But sadly, this would be very unlikely do to software piracy.
 
One of features I would like is complete disk cloning, for os and program backups. I don't want to spend hours reloading everything. But sadly, this would be very unlikely do to software piracy.

The other issue here as well is that this would step on 3rd parties that already sell these kinds of utilities.
 
never stopped MS in the past - MSE for example.

Since the anti-trust litigation, Microsoft has been very hesitant to include stuff in the package, MSE is a separate install and they real had no choice, Microsoft had to do something about malware and I think litigation by 3rd parties over that particular tool would be very counter productive. A company suing over basic free malware protection would have a lot of negative customer blow-back I think.
 
One of features I would like is complete disk cloning, for os and program backups. I don't want to spend hours reloading everything. But sadly, this would be very unlikely do to software piracy.

Eh? Windows Backup, built into Windows Vista and Windows 7, can already make full disk images.

Even nicer, the image files Windows Backup produces can be mounted in the bootloader, and booted directly. You can run from a backup without touching the normal OS on the machine.
 
Windows 7 is going to be like XP. Most won't switch from it until they see a compelling reason to. Windows 8 will probably be another Vista. I'll still get it though.
 
Eh? Windows Backup, built into Windows Vista and Windows 7, can already make full disk images.

Even nicer, the image files Windows Backup produces can be mounted in the bootloader, and booted directly. You can run from a backup without touching the normal OS on the machine.

Duh, always forget that's there. I've used True Image for years now and never have used the built-in disk backup stuff.
 
What amuses me is that if you are installing Win 7 from a USB drive you can already get very close to the 8 min install if not faster. I think my last reinstall was just at 9min. (installing from a USB thumb drive onto Intel 80Gb G1) So I'm not sure what all the big fuss about the 8min install is without knowing a few more details of what media they were using to install from and what kind of drive they were using to install onto.
Yes, I was assuming SSDs for these numbers... to the extent I believe any of it.
 
Where do you get an 8 core CPU? They using server processors?

Probably those lying cake intel things that are really 4 cores.

Nice. In time we will move on to more powerful systems, and 8 cores is not that far off. I for one welcome this. I wonder what the new Windows Experience Index will be like.....:rolleyes:

It's over 9000!
 
i could imagine in 2013 or so when windows 8 comes out that system restore and install time would be much less with super fast yet affordable SSD's being ont he market by that time.:D
 
Probably those lying cake intel things that are really 4 cores.

AMD has server processors that have up to 12 cores and I'm pretty sure intel has a server proc. with 8 cores. Also, intel is releasing consumer 8 core in q3/q4 so MS could be using an ES with a prototype 2011 board to ensure compatiblity with the beta release.
 
None that I've noticed. But you're correct, installing from a Flash drive versus optical media drastically reduces the install time.

I just installed win7 with a flash drive and it's night and day versus optical! I think it was like 10 minutes.
 
Is anyone else not real keen on this?

"A new addition is a profile picture on the bottom right, reportedly displaying an avatar for either a local account (where you’ll also be allowed to use video avatars) or a Windows Live ID account. According to Win7China, this means users will be allowed to use their Windows Live ID to log into Windows 8, hinting that there will be further integration of Windows 8 with the cloud."

I really don't want my Live ID to be my login for the OS and I'd really rather they not be linked at all. Almost seems like the Ubisoft OS in that manner (you need an internet connection to work the OS). I hope I'm wrong of course but I'm generally a doomsayer. :p
 
never stopped MS in the past - MSE for example.

It's not included by default, nor is it in Windows Update unless you opt for Additional Microsoft Software and even then, you chose them in Optional Update.

from article said:
A new addition is a profile picture on the bottom right, reportedly displaying an avatar for either a local account (where you’ll also be allowed to use video avatars) or a Windows Live ID account. According to Win7China, this means users will be allowed to use their Windows Live ID to log into Windows 8, hinting that there will be further integration of Windows 8 with the cloud.

I hope that like today's Windows and previous Windows computers in businesses can be locked to the domain and not let employees sign in as a different user, such as their Live account.
 
Ugh, I hate the new task bar in Windows 7....it doesn't look like 8 is any better
 
I will be glad when 8 hits so I can pick up 7 cheap.
Maybe I will finely migrate from winxp then. Heck and that will only to be able to play DX11 games.
Any serious computer work I do is done with Linux.
 
Ugh, I hate the new task bar in Windows 7....it doesn't look like 8 is any better

I don't think the new taskbar makes a lot sense to people that don't use Windows on touchscreen, then you love it. It's a very simple and finger friendly way to open and navigate programs.
 
I'd only make one change to the Windows 7 taskbar; automatically set 16x16 or 32x32 icons based on the presence of a touchscreen.

A mouse should be precise enough not to need 32x32 icons on the taskbar. There's already a setting to change down to 16x16 in taskbar properties, but it'd be nice to have it set up out-of-the-box.
 
There's no doubt that much if not most of Windows 8 will be focused on an improved touch UI. Windows 7 already does a few subtle things based on the presence of touch and in 8 I'm sure there will be a lot more stuff like that that's far less subtle.
 
I just want more strightforward wired network setup... Like the 10 wizards for wireless :D Oh and GPU readings in the task manager, especially since the GUI uses it more heavily.

Oh and no cloud crap. Thats just a useless annoyance. Apart from game saves.
 
never stopped MS in the past - MSE for example.

As point out by somebody else, not part of the OS, it is a seperate download

I will be glad when 8 hits so I can pick up 7 cheap.
Maybe I will finely migrate from winxp then. Heck and that will only to be able to play DX11 games.
Any serious computer work I do is done with Linux.

Actually when 8 hits 7 won't get cheaper, it will no longer be sold. Look at every other micrsofot program. when the new one comes out they stop selling the old one. And actually anyone that buys the old one there toward the end gets a free upgrade to the new one.
 
Back
Top