LCD Televisions with 4:4:4 Subsampling and low Input Lag.

So true, I knew it had to be a fixable issue since it clearly worked over VGA. It amazes me how the "new tech" screws things up and it hasnt been addresed especially since 1000's of people every year swap to HDTV's as monitors, see this blurry ugly mess and return their sets.

Its not a fix my Mother could do either. ( If it doesnt involve turning the channel she is hosed! ) But.. upon reading the threads here and linked in this thread it became very clear what the issue was in a way that was easily understood.

The only problem I had was atcually finding my models EDID code.

Phoenix EDID didnt do it for me ( or I could not find where in that utility )

Monitor asset Manager had an easier layout to see the string you needed

The problem I then ran into what how those numbers are broken out and which of them to actually use. It took a little back and forth reading to understand which sets of numbers to place in the registry code.

Honestly I still dont fully understand what they meant, or what all the other numbers mean for that matter. I know it worked and Im typing this on 32" of goodness!

BTW.. for those deciding on 32 vs 37. Looking at this tv now I think its perfect. 37 would have been far too large. It does dwarf my 24 though which Ive been using for many years and I love it.

Its sitting right next to this existing TV hooked up to my laptop.

Side note Question ( a bit off topic ):

If you set up dual monitors and use the "extend my screen" function. Does it effect quality on the main screen? I tried it out and it sure is handly to "throw" windows over to a second monitor and thats all I want to use it for.

Should I want a full setup , yes Id buy an identicle sized 32 like this new one, but.. Am I taking away from the quality of my main 32" monitor by using this extend feature?

So still no good way to edit EDID on macs?

Guess I'll be ordering a new short DVI>HDMI cable then. Actually will work out pretty well I think since the mac mini comes with an HDMI>DVI adapter, so I won't have to shuffle cabling around that much.

Ruahrc

Someone besides me should try the Samsung LN32D550. I got it a couple months ago (rev. SQ04) and it has been near perfect for me.

I posted my impressions here and on AVS Forum:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1643877

I'm using a DVI->HDMI cable from my ATI Radeon 5850 and the sharpness setting is perfect after labeling the input as "DVI PC". I don't have any problem with colored fonts but lack a good camera for hard evidence (although, at least one user on AVS Forum has mentioned the set supports 4:4:4). Compared to my PC monitors (Samsung PX2370 and ASUS VH236H), it surprisingly handles motions just as well and the input lag from my tests was only 1-2 frames slower.

So true, I knew it had to be a fixable issue since it clearly worked over VGA.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but chroma subsampling applies to digital signals only (ex., DVI and HDMI). So for an analog connection like VGA, you will always get pixel perfect resolution. In some cases though, VGA may result in a fuzzy picture, but this is primarily due to signal interference. Which is why I think some people mistake VGA "fuzzyness" for lack of 444 sampling.

thepoohcontinuum is on a role having tested yet another interesting television, the JVC Black Crystal 3000 series. Model and size purchased = JLC37BC3000. Link to Poohcontinuum's review & pics and link to TelevisionInfo review. The Chevron < shaped pixels give it away so the panel would be an LG S-IPS.

Input Lag = 1-2 frames (16-32 ms).
4:4:4 Chroma = Fails. <-----------------------------

We can lump this into the Panasonic category where you get the benefits of IPS and low input lag but no 4:4:4. So if 4:4:4 is not a major requirement for you then put this one on your candidate list when TV shopping <-- Gamers who won't be using this as their main desktop PC display in other words.

Someone besides me should try the Samsung LN32D550. I got it a couple months ago (rev. SQ04) and it has been near perfect for me.

I posted my impressions here and on AVS Forum:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1643877

I'm using a DVI->HDMI cable from my ATI Radeon 5850 and the sharpness setting is perfect after labeling the input as "DVI PC". I don't have any problem with colored fonts but lack a good camera for hard evidence (although, at least one user on AVS Forum has mentioned the set supports 4:4:4). Compared to my PC monitors (Samsung PX2370 and ASUS VH236H), it surprisingly handles motions just as well and the input lag from my tests was only 1-2 frames slower.
You are the closest evidence we have for the Samsung D550. What a nice little TV, if anyone was willing to go out on a limb and take a "tiny" risk, then this is the TV to do it with imho. Thank you for bringing your review to our attention.

Last edited:
Please excuse my naivety, but I'm shopping for a large panel for gaming and I've been sifting through the plethora of information here. Thanks by the way. :)
My question is on LFD (Large Format Displays) Are they a viable choice or is the price/performance ratio too low?

Edit: I should mention I'm a pc gamer.

LFDs are digital signage for use in public areas such as airports, and are usually HDTVs with the tuners and postprocessing stripped out. That does sound like the sort of thing we want here. For whatever reason this forum doesn't talk about LFDs much, and maybe that should change.

In the process of researching this question, I found an AVSForum thread with a bunch of info about 4:4:4 displays. Has the info there already been talked about in this thread?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-1292135.html

Yea it was through the course of reading this thread which had me over to the avs forums reading. Someone mentioned that it might be wise to consider a LFD for gaming as they tend to have higher quality panels. I was under the impression that you wouldn't have to worry about input lag as much either. Again forgive me for my naivety and thanks in advance.

Whats the actually input lag on the Samsung LN32D550?
I have read around 2 frames a few times, or the infamous and erroneous "it has no input lag at all" which lead most of us to believe that it was at least decent, can't remember seeing any pics which is what most of us want as proof. The picture quality is so nice though that someone can "risk" it by purchasing it from a place that offers hassle free returns. I'm still tempted even to this day :p

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's my review of the Westinghouse VR-3225, please pardon my grammar and tendency to babble:

-Color: Just the right amount of pop. There is no color banding. The overall picture is not dim nor overly bright. I think the mfr put a little bit of effort into the factory calibration.

-Contrast: Noticeably better than my Panny L32S1. I had the same 720P and 1080P videos open on both screens and was seeing more black + gray detail and gradients on the VR-3225. The blacks are above average compared to TN and IPS. To my untrained eyes, and if i never saw the posted specs, i would guess this TV had 2000:1 native/static contrast ratio, which is good for an LCD monitor <-- take that opinion with a grain of salt but i did cycle through some display tests to add some weight to my opinion.

-Backlight & panel uniformity: No light leakage at all, totally uniform, i lucked out with my TV. No funny marks or smears inside the panel either. I'm judging the backpanel light to be somewhere between 45-65, but that's a guess and i don't know how to check? I still have that last stuck blue pixel, going to work on it another time.

- I haven't noticed any major pixel blur or smearing with fast motion yet, which leads me to think that it's performance is above average.

-Viewing angles: Edit: There is definite color shift if you slouch to your far left and right, but if you keep your head within 6 or 7 inches of center, then you won't see it. <-- Note that i'm currently testing it from 2ft away and that i can already see that it's more forgiving from 3ft away. I'm rating as somewhere between IPS and older TN panels. It's a tad better than the newest TN panels, the ones that have the improved viewing angles.

- Input lag: Can't tell yet, need more time to judge my FPS K/D ratio but it seems good so far. Definitely "feels" similar to my L32S1.

My rating for this TV-as-a-monitor on a scale of 1 to 10 ?
- For a cheap $250 TV it is easily a "9"
- Compared to something higher end, like a Samsung D550, or perhaps the Sony EX720, i'd probably rate it an 8 for monitor use.
- Don't anyone dare ask me if i like it better than my Pansonic L32S1 :p
- Will this TV win over people who hate using large pixelled 32" TV's as monitors? Obviously not, unless lack of 4:4:4 was one of their biggest complaints.

Last edited:
thepoohcontinuum is on a role having tested yet another interesting television, the JVC Black Crystal 3000 series. Model and size purchased = JLC37BC3000. Link to post + pics The Chevron < shaped pixels give it away so the panel would be an LG S-IPS.

Input Lag = 1-2 frames (16-32 ms).
4:4:4 Chroma = Fails. <-----------------------------

We can lump this into the Panasonic category where you get the benefits of IPS and low input lag but no 4:4:4. So if 4:4:4 is not a major requirement for you then put this one on your candidate list when TV shopping <-- Gamers who won't be using this as their main desktop PC display in other words.

This is a very interesting test result, as it appears to be the exact same as my LG TV results posted earlier. I have followed up in the avsforum link to see if anyone has any insight on the comparison. I wonder if he did more 4:4:4 tests, would he find similar results to mine (everything else looks perfect except the Belle-Nuit test chart) and would you still consider it failing 4:4:4?

This is a very interesting test result, as it appears to be the exact same as my LG TV results posted earlier. I have followed up in the avsforum link to see if anyone has any insight on the comparison. I wonder if he did more 4:4:4 tests, would he find similar results to mine (everything else looks perfect except the Belle-Nuit test chart) and would you still consider it failing 4:4:4?

I'm not aware of any other 444 tests aside from the Belle Nuit chart and the Red/Magenta chart. While everything else except red text looks perfect, I've also noticed that yellow and orange text seems to suffer too on a non-444 display. For example, I use the Network Meter sidebar gadget (found here). On a non-444 display, the yellow text on it seems blurry. But on a 444 display, the yellow text is pixel sharp.

If you don't mind, could you install the Network Meter gadget and see if you experience the same thing?

Edit: just saw your post on avsforum. I found the BGR reversed chevron pattern on another TV I tested, the Vizio XVT 32" 3rd gen (pic here). It could very well be the panel was put on upside down. Whether it was done by mistake or intentional, who knows.

Last edited:
More updates to the Westinghouse VR-3225 thread at the AVS forums: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1367796

PS YES these TVs (VR-3225) are S-MVA and personally my favorite type of LCD technology. It has IPS colours with dam near TN speeds! It must be a glorious PC display!
^^^ 10e may be right, Solid-State is the second person saying that Westinghouse uses CMO S-MVA panels, and that this model in particular has it. I replied to his post to ask him for his source, hoping he replies.

Ripped the next quote from the AVS forum:

Originally Posted by gooker
TC-L32E3 - Winner of 2011 for gaming led.

TC-L32E3 has 4:4:4 in the official manual it states it.

And with 1 frame of lag, or less, the Panasonic TC-L32E3 may be the winner of this thread, among the lower cost choices anyway.

To me personally, 4:4:4 hasn't been 100% confirmed with PC use, going to dig into the manual soon myself, but suddenly this model has become a lot more interesting.

Now I'm wondering if the TC-L32U3 CCFL-backlit model can be tweaked to have 4:4:4, haven't researched that one yet...

Edit: after some more digging, i notice that 4:4:4 on these Panasonics have not been confirmed, and may be just someone misinterpreting the owner's manual.

You mean the Panasonic E3 LED?

Yeah that's what he meant.

Panasonic TC-L32E3 (LED) and TC-L32U3 (CCFL) have low input lag, but they do not suppot 4:4:4.

I bought a TC-L37U3 for my PS3 and occasional TV watching. For the price, I'm satisfied.

I read 4:4:4 is not important for broadcast, and DVD/BD signals because it's not used, but of course it is important for PC use, but what about gaming consoles ? Do they assume 4:4:4 support ?
Do most LCD TVs typically even support 4:4:4 ? It seems like more often than not, they don't support it, and if an LCD TV has it, it's a rare bonus.

I read 4:4:4 is not important for broadcast, and DVD/BD signals because it's not used, but of course it is important for PC use, but what about gaming consoles ? Do they assume 4:4:4 support ?
Do most LCD TVs typically even support 4:4:4 ? It seems like more often than not, they don't support it, and if an LCD TV has it, it's a rare bonus.

Consoles do not support 444 (although the xbox 360 w/ VGA output *might* do it, I'm not completely sure). In any case, even if consoles did support 444, it'll go unnoticed. Video games generally do not have anything that requires single-pixel-width clarity (such as text on a PC). Plus graphic textures on game consoles are much more compressed compared to their PC counterparts, so texture details are lost moreso with compression rather than the lack of 444.

And a majority of LCD TVs (and plasmas for that matter) do not support 444. Like you said, broadcast/blu-ray/game consoles all use non-444 formats at the source, so that pretty much satisfies 99.90% of the TV viewers out there. Then for those 0.09% that use their TVs for the occasional recreational HTPC use, lack of 444 doesn't bother them too much (only red/orange/yellow text gets messed up, everything else looks decent enough). Then you have the remaining 0.01% crazies like us that demand pixel perfection on everything that can only come from a 444-capable TV :)

You are the closest evidence we have for the Samsung D550. What a nice little TV, if anyone was willing to go out on a limb and take a "tiny" risk, then this is the TV to do it with imho. Thank you for bringing your review to our attention.

According to this avsforum post the D550 passes 4:4:4.

PoohContinuum, i found some info and tests on the JVC Black Crystal series if you're interested, check out the results of it's review and compare it to their LG LK450 and LD450 results if you ever get the chance.

I was surpised to see that it had blacks/contrast that were 40-50% better than either LG, no small feat for an IPS panel w/CCFL imho. I wonder how the JVC mfr pulled it off. If it had working 4:4:4 then it would have been a very strong contender for PC monitor/desktop use.

According to this avsforum post the D550 passes 4:4:4.
Thank you, i updated the D550 info in the first post accordingly.

Last edited:
Hi guys, had a question about 4:4:4 for a Sony LCD.

In this thread I see that the EX720 has been confirmed as having 4:4:4 subsampling.
I recently purchased a NX720 and I was curious if they had the same parts or was also confirmed as having it. I'm using it as a primary monitor for my PC.

If not, is there any way I can confirm it on my end?

In this thread I see that the EX720 has been confirmed as having 4:4:4 subsampling.
I recently purchased a NX720 and I was curious if they had the same parts or was also confirmed as having it. I'm using it as a primary monitor for my PC.

Lets get you started.

1) Def use a dvi-to-hdmi cable since the TV and or video card can often sense the cable being used, and will sometimes automatically enable the correct settings or keep you from having to perform EDID tweaks.

2) Check to see if red and blue text looks sharp or smudged.

5) Download the Belle Nuit chart found here. Open it up full size, then take a camera, and in macro mode grab some close ups of the pixel structure. The area to focus on is to the left of the number 20, the small red + blue pixel lines next to it. Here's a couple of example pics: pic 1 and pic 2.

6) Post the pics here for us to check out if you can, because sometimes it can be very hard to tell where it seems clean and sharp but it is actually flawed. You will get all the credit here, and at AVS, for being the first to test your model TV because many would be curious ;)

Good luck, and hope to see your results.

For a quick test set scene on Game or Graphics mode and check how red text looks on black and/or blue background. If its fuzzy, then its definetly a no. If its sharp, then most likely yes as that is a test that most TVs fail if 4:4:4 isnt supported. Above mentioned Belle Nuit chart gives you more defined answer.

HDMI cable shouldnt matter, atleast it doesnt on my EX720. Though I do not have HDMI Audio driver installed because I do not need and it is known to cause issues with some TVs and 4:4:4 output.

Just finished building my son's "new" budget gaming rig.. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1659240

I've been watching this thread and I ended up buying him a Westy VR-3225 as well as a Rosewill HDMI-DVI (24+1) 6 ft male to male cable (model # RCW-H9014) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882021059&Tpk=RCW-H9014

Can anyone confirm if this cable is one that is "automatically" detected that enables the correct settings without having to perform the EDID tweak(s)?

Unfortunately, I have to wait til Christmas as his Westy is a Christmas gift and is already wrapped as a present. I'm glad I ran across this thread and kudos to those who have gone the extra mile to confirm if certain panels can do 4:4:4! You guys (or gals if that applies) rock!

Just finished building my son's "new" budget gaming rig.. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1659240

I've been watching this thread and I ended up buying him a Westy VR-3225 as well as a Rosewill HDMI-DVI (24+1) 6 ft male to male cable (model # RCW-H9014) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882021059&Tpk=RCW-H9014

Can anyone confirm if this cable is one that is "automatically" detected that enables the correct settings without having to perform the EDID tweak(s)?

Unfortunately, I have to wait til Christmas as his Westy is a Christmas gift and is already wrapped as a present. I'm glad I ran across this thread and kudos to those who have gone the extra mile to confirm if certain panels can do 4:4:4! You guys (or gals if that applies) rock!
For the most part yes. With that dvi-hdmi cable i wouldn't be concerned with EDID tweaks at this point, i'd be concerned with your video card drivers being set correctly. Here's an example of a person with video driver issues at post # 59 here. It's all correctable but some hairpulling can be involved. Most of the fixes have been posted already in this thread, and the one i linked above. So skim it over if you're having any issues. Another thing is the TV itself, get that puppy tested the day it is opened. Be on the lookout for the usual LCD defects, but don't make yourself go nuts Christmas morning either ;). If it's a dud it'll likely reveal itself before your return/exchange period is over. We're here to help in the meantime.

A new PC and an immersive jumbo monitor is going to make your son very happy. Good luck either way.

For the most part yes. With that dvi-hdmi cable i wouldn't be concerned with EDID tweaks at this point, i'd be concerned with your video card drivers being set correctly. Here's an example of a person with video driver issues at post # 59 here. It's all correctable but some hairpulling can be involved. Most of the fixes have been posted already in this thread, and the one i linked above. So skim it over if you're having any issues. Another thing is the TV itself, get that puppy tested the day it is opened. Be on the lookout for the usual LCD defects, but don't make yourself go nuts Christmas morning either ;). If it's a dud it'll likely reveal itself before your return/exchange period is over. We're here to help in the meantime.

A new PC and an immersive jumbo monitor is going to make your son very happy. Good luck either way.

Thanks SJetski71.. the suspense is killing me.. haha. I can't wait til Christmas.. lol (and it's NOT even my computer monitor).. haha!

I ended up giving my son the monitor early for Christmas.. We set it up today but a funny thing. Windows saw it correctly as a PC Monitor (1080p @ 60hz). The picture looked great except for the text. The letters appeared to be "off" on webpages and various text such as a txt, pdf, doc, etc documents. Every few text characters did NOT correctly display as a black colored character. Instead, every few charaters would show up as blue. Weird. The graphics looked stellar but the text was "off". We downloaded that little program and it did indeed confirm our VR-3225 as 4:4:4. Games and movies looked fine but the text (especially on webpages such as msn or hardforum) were hit and miss as far as the blue text characters were concerned. We went to the nvidia control panel and fooled around with it for a while. Instead of using the "monitor" settings as default, we used the nvidia settings as the default. MUCH BETTER. The text looks MUCH better and everything appears great. My son played the game Rift and was extremely impressed with the color saturation. Best $249 dollar we spend on a monitor, ever!

I ended up giving my son the monitor early for Christmas.. We set it up today but a funny thing. Windows saw it correctly as a PC Monitor (1080p @ 60hz). The picture looked great except for the text. The letters appeared to be "off" on webpages and various text such as a txt, pdf, doc, etc documents. Every few text characters did NOT correctly display as a black colored character. Instead, every few charaters would show up as blue. Weird. The graphics looked stellar but the text was "off". We downloaded that little program and it did indeed confirm our VR-3225 as 4:4:4. Games and movies looked fine but the text (especially on webpages such as msn or hardforum) were hit and miss as far as the blue text characters were concerned. We went to the nvidia control panel and fooled around with it for a while. Instead of using the "monitor" settings as default, we used the nvidia settings as the default. MUCH BETTER. The text looks MUCH better and everything appears great. My son played the game Rift and was extremely impressed with the color saturation. Best $249 dollar we spend on a monitor, ever!
Ha! you installed it early, i would have done the exact same thing. Glad you figured it out quick, that's exactly what happened to most of us the first time we set up, text looked funky and every 4th word was in bold or a different color. But a display driver tweak or two always fixes it. $250 does buy you a lot of enjoyment, to get something incrementally better you'd have to spend at least $400 imho, it's a deal and a half at the price you paid.

Keep a close eye on it over the next two or three weeks, almost like a probation period. If it lasts that long problem free, then it should last you a while. Keep the box and receipt handy just in case.

Thanks for the update and good luck with it.

Noticed something strange when i came home today and booted up my PC and VR-3225.

All text in the middle 10 inches of screen were slightly blurry, whereas the left and right sides were perfectly sharp. Tried a few tricks in the catalyst control panel to no avail. I was stumped and thought for sure i was going to box up my TV and return it to Walmart. Eventually i decided to uninstall everything ATI related, ran a driver cleaner, then reinstalled the newest set of drivers. Upon reboot everything looked fine and was back to normal, and still is.

Figured i'd post that in case anyone has the same issue.

Noticed something strange when i came home today and booted up my PC and VR-3225.

All text in the middle 10 inches of screen were slightly blurry, whereas the left and right sides were perfectly sharp. Tried a few tricks in the catalyst control panel to no avail. I was stumped and thought for sure i was going to box up my TV and return it to Walmart. Eventually i decided to uninstall everything ATI related, ran a driver cleaner, then reinstalled the newest set of drivers. Upon reboot everything looked fine and was back to normal, and still is.

Figured i'd post that in case anyone has the same issue.

Wow, that's a new type issue.. I wonder if it's ATI DRIVERS ONLY with that driver bug or if NVIDIA DRIVERS has the same bug?

Hello there,

First of all thank you very much for this thread. I am also thinking to purchase a 32 or 37" tv to use as my main PC monitor (8-9 hours daily work and some games). Do you know the difference between LG lk430 and lk450 series? It seems they are completely same by checking the LG site (except the speakers). Do you have first hand knowledge on LK430 models?

Thanks!

Note: Where I live right now (europe) has only LG, Samsung, Panasonic and Sony alternatives and there are some campaigns for Samsung 32D550 ($420), Panasonic L32E3E ($505) and LG 37LK430 ($525).

Last edited:
Hello there,

First of all thank you very much for this thread. I am also thinking to purchase a 32 or 37" tv to use as my main PC monitor (8-9 hours daily work and some games). Do you know the difference between LG lk430 and lk450 series? It seems they are completely same by checking the LG site (except the speakers). Do you have first hand knowledge on LK430 models?

Thanks!

Note: Where I live right now (europe) has only LG, Samsung, Panasonic and Sony alternatives and there are some campaigns for Samsung 32D550 ($420), Panasonic L32E3E ($505) and LG 37LK430 ($525).
TV's in Europe are often built using different internal parts compared to models available in North America, not always but often enough where you have to take opinions with caution.

The LK430 is supposedly an asian/eastern european model and isn't available in NA, and it may have a panel lottery which means either an IPS or VA panel inside with slightly different results.

You may want to check out a Europen or Asian Audio/Video forum for more info on the LK430. You can look up LK450 info but as i said before, you may be looking up the wrong info.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited:
I was trying to narrow down the list of panels the Westinghouse VR-3225 may have. If any of Westinghouse's posted specs were to be believed, then i would have thought the VR-3225 was using one of these two Chi-Mei/CMO panels:

- V315H3-L02: http://www.panelook.com/modeldetail_parameter.php?id=13144
- V315H3-L01: http://www.panelook.com/modeldetail_parameter.php?id=13143

BUT, wait until you read this next part.

I went into the TV menu to check out the firmware version, i found this and typed it into google: atsc_wd_LTA320HN02_W03_318HB10_B1.2.11_3.0 and came up with nothing. So next i plugged LTA320HN02 into google instead, which lead me back to this page on panelook.com. A Samsung made or Samsung designed panel ? I know Samsung has created many different panels, and I'm not saying this panel is the superior one for it's application. Maybe Samsung contracted Chi-mei to build some of their designs? This page would suggest the area of manufacture is China, which given the price makes sense.

- 8-bit + Hi-FRC
- Response time: 12/8 (Typ.)(Tr/Td); 8 (Typ.)(MPRT)
- SVA?
- LTA320HN02 list of panel specs: http://www.panelook.com/modeldetail_parameter.php?id=12469

Can any panel/specs experts provide a little more detail, or even opinions for us? I realize i can always search google for more info but figured some [H] feedback would be nice.

And are any other VR-3225 owners seeing this firmware version in their TV menu: atsc_wd_LTA320HN02_W03_318HB10_B1.2.11_3.0 ? (if you see something different, please post it here for us to dissect).

Last edited:
I just started looking for a new big LCD to use as a main monitor. What would ya'll think of this one?

Samsung LN40D630 40-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40D630-40-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B004SHKELG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I have a 32" right now, and I've used a 37" (that was great). I've been thinking of going up from my 32" to a bigger 40". Mostly I like the big size for gaming and the multi-function ability of watching tv/movies as well as having HDMI and VGA ports ( I leave a VGA cable lying on the desk for connecting my work or home laptop and have my gaming rig plugged in via HDMI.

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
When I search for LTA320 on the FlatpanelsHD monitor panel database, I see nothing but Samsung PVA panels, but none that end with HN02 - they all end with W2, WS or WT. But the evidence seems strong that it's a Samsung PVA.
Thanks for the backup info. It's looking like a Samsung PVA / SVA panel more and more. Still hoping other VR-3225 owners can post their firmware info here just to see what everyone else has.

I just started looking for a new big LCD to use as a main monitor. What would ya'll think of this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40D630-40-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B004SHKELG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I have a 32" right now, and I've used a 37" (that was great). I've been thinking of going up from my 32" to a bigger 40". Mostly I like the big size for gaming and the multi-function ability of watching tv/movies as well as having HDMI and VGA ports ( I leave a VGA cable lying on the desk for connecting my work or home laptop and have my gaming rig plugged in via HDMI.

Thanks!
Not sure, and performance can vary a lot between different model numbers. That 32" you have, is it the same model as the 40" you are looking at? Because if it is the same model then you already have your answer ;)

Here's the owner's thread for the Samsung xxD630: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1331855

Also, if the TV is 120hz then there is a better "chance" that it cannot do 4:4:4 which most visibly manifests itself as blurry blue and red text. Not everyone is put off by this btw, myself included, it's just a nice capability to have.

Otherwise if you want something more proven for monitor use then check out the LG 37LK450 or 42LK450, you would probably want the one that has an S-IPS panel, more related info here and here. For monitor use, the 37" is a big increase in size coming from a 32", are you sure the 40" wouldn't be too big?

I'm thinking about getting the RCA unit mentioned, however I'm still thinking about waiting until Black Friday.
I heard through the grapevine that you are also a VR-3225 owner now, and that you really like it :p

Last edited:

Thanks!
Samsung TVs are known to be very laggy.

Samsung TVs are known to be very laggy.
Not all models, certain model lines have improved in 2011, not sure about the D630 however :eek:

That AVS owner's thread i linked in my last post ought to have a few clues posted though.

This thread totally got me to go with the VR-3225. My current monitor is a 21 inch acer with a TN panel so i'm anxious to see the improved picture quality and size. Especially viewing angles, hope newegg gets it to me fast.

My VR-3225 firmware: ATSC_WD_LTA320HA04_318HB10_B1.2.11_3.1

My VR-3225 firmware: ATSC_WD_LTA320HA04_318HB10_B1.2.11_3.1
Thank you for posting your TV info 450.

I extracted the numbers LTA320HA04 and came up with what is clearly Samsung S-PVA --> http://www.panelook.com/modeldetail_parameter.php?id=7511

The panel is not exactly the same as the one i have, but definitely a Samsung and S-PVA to boot.

This is starting to get good, still hoping other VR-3225 owners can post the firmware version in their TV menus :)

This thread totally got me to go with the VR-3225. My current monitor is a 21 inch acer with a TN panel so i'm anxious to see the improved picture quality and size. Especially viewing angles, hope newegg gets it to me fast.
I used an Acer 22" TN for a while once, I think you're in for a real treat.

As for viewing angles, as long as you sit 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 ft away you'll be fine with it, and at that distance you'll find it somewhere between TN and IPS. But the size difference between the two makes it awkward to compare viewing angles imho.

Looking forward to seeing what panel you get.

Back