LCD Televisions with 4:4:4 Subsampling and low Input Lag.

I'm in Australia. Can't find a 5300 but I can find a "39LN5400"... is this the same panel and is it good to use as a PC monitor for things like MMOs ?

It says its only 50hz, does that mean ill be stuck with 50hz and 50fps with vsync on ?

It says its only 50hz, does that mean ill be stuck with 50hz and 50fps with vsync on ?

LG's website says that the refresh rate for the 39LN5400 is 50hz, which seems strange, but if it's true then it won't be able to show more than 50fps. Don't buy it.
EDIT: All the australian LG models seem to be 50hz. I guess you're out of luck >_<

Have you gamed on them though? How responsive are they? If anyone has tried out both a 32"/39" and a 42", I would greatly appreciate a comparison with the TV's lag. Yes I know the 42" will look better.

The 5700 is a bit out of my price range, and frankly I need don't a smart TV since this is going in the same room as my desktop and my PS3/PS4 (eventually) will be hooked up to it. U

Unless it's only the 5700 that is IPS, which I hope isn't true.
The 5700 is also out my budget. Has anyone checked if the 42" LN5300 has an IPS panel?

Last edited:
I own a 39LN5300, and when hooked up to my computer the only refresh rate available for it was 50hz. Can anyone else check to see if theirs is at 60hz or not? I doubt LG's specs on the website are wrong. It has to be 60 hz, but then why is it only coming up as 50hz for me? And if it is truly 50hz, why make a 50hz tv? That just seems weird.

Make sure to anyone connecting the LN5300 to their PC, you change the input label of your HDMI connection to "PC". If you dont, it will look terrible! To do this, press "Settings" on your remote, go to Option, (2 above Input, 4th from the bottom), and click "Input Label". Change HDMI 1 to "PC". :)

LG's website says that the refresh rate for the 39LN5400 is 50hz, which seems strange, but if it's true then it won't be able to show more than 50fps. Don't buy it.
EDIT: All the australian LG models seem to be 50hz. I guess you're out of luck >_<

The 5700 is also out my budget. Has anyone checked if the 42" LN5300 has an IPS panel?

I'm returning my 39" and I'll be picking up the 42LN5300 on Friday. Hopefully will have a confirmation by then.

I just want to repeat the question, because if we get a confirmation that it isn't IPS, I don't want to look like an ass at my job and return 39" for the 42", to go back to a 39" :p

Can anyone with a 42LN5300 confirm if the panel is an IPS? You can use this test
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

If the image turns a pink hue when viewing at an extreme angle it is not IPS. Also you can take a magnifying glass or a really good camera and take a look at the pixels. If they are chevron shaped then you got an IPS.

Thanks again!

I'm looking at the technical specifications for the 39LN5300 and it says that 1080p is only supported through component. Is this correct?

HDMI: 1080i, Component: 1080p, RF: 720p
http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-39LN5300-led-tv

I'm betting that's a typo. It's most likely supposed to read 1080p on HDMI and, 1080i on component (y/pb/pr). A majority of TVs will only do 1080i or less over component (y/pb/pr) and I've yet to see one that doesn't do 1080p on HDMI (unless it's an actual 720p/i or "1080i" panel).

Does anyone have calibrated settings for the 42LN5300? I'd imagine that since it uses a different panel, the calibrations for the 39" wouldn't work the same.

I own a 39LN5300, and when hooked up to my computer the only refresh rate available for it was 50hz. Can anyone else check to see if theirs is at 60hz or not? I doubt LG's specs on the website are wrong. It has to be 60 hz, but then why is it only coming up as 50hz for me? And if it is truly 50hz, why make a 50hz tv? That just seems weird.

50Hz is the PAL standard, while NTSC is 60Hz. I would imagine that the TV would display whatever the device providing the signal told it to, though.

39LN5300 is down to $314 on Amazon, if anyone wanted one who missed the Fry's sale. The 42LN5300 is $398.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So what is the status of these monitors? Does the 39LN5300 have an IPS panel? Or does the 42LN5300 have it?

Can anyone confirm?

So what is the status of these monitors? Does the 39LN5300 have an IPS panel? Or does the 42LN5300 have it?

Can anyone confirm?
Both have MVA panels.

I have the 42LN5300, there's a moderate color shifting, but it's not nearly as bad as a TN panel, however it doesn't come close to an IPS, and the uniformity isn't good, you can see that the borders look darker.

Here's a macro shot that I took http://i.imgur.com/7qY1o9h.jpg.
Also in the service menu it says that the panel maker is AUO (which is a maker of MVA panels). I'm returning mine and might get the 42LN5700 which supposedly has an IPS panel.

I'm just hoping that it's not a panel lottery.

Last edited:
I can tell you that other than at extreme viewing angles, the MVA panel in the 39LN5300 is easily the equal and in many ways surpasses the IPS panel of the LG 37" LK450 to my eye. I have them sitting side by side until they are mounted, and lag/motion blur/colors, obviously subjectively, I would choose the 39LN5300. The blacks in particular are much better on this MVA. The 39LN5300 is also a physically a much better looking monitor.

I've gone through 3 39LN5300 HDTV's from 3 different stores and I noticed that they all have what appears to be back light bleeding/clouding in the middle or near the middle of the panel. I'm really not sure what to call it but it looks like an oval blob that can be seen when viewing an all black screen in a dark room. Can anyone else with a 39LN5300 confirm? Is it normal? A backlight setting of 15 and lower makes it harder to see what I'm talking about. Raise the setting and you should be able to see the same thing. BTW, my phone's camera picked it up better than my eyes but it does look pretty bad regardless.

I bought one today for $314, and it had the same issue. I tapped on the screen softly where it was brightest and it went away,

I just bought a 42" LA6200 and it's showing thin white horizontal lines that flash/disappear quickly and last about 0.1 to 0.2 seconds, in addition to big weird artifacts that last the same time.

It happens randomly, about 1-5 times per hour, so it's hard to notice them. The big artifacts happen less often than the white lines. I actually had the same exact issue in a 42" LN5700 that I previously bought and returned.

The TV is connected to a computer via HDMI with resolution of 1920x1080@60Hz. I also renamed the input to PC to enable 4:4:4 chroma subsampling. I already tried 3 different HDMI cables and tested the TV with 2 computers (both who work fine with any other monitor/TV), and the problem appears in all the combinations.

Bnqxc4B.jpg

0hpZtZM.jpg

ISL8tgF.jpg

Is anyone else having this issue? Any suggestions on how to fix it, should I just return the tv? :confused:

Anyone?
This is what I mean by big artifacts:
PGJhEdA.jpg

It only happens when renaming the input to "PC"

Last edited:
Ah I am going to hold onto my 37LH30 ips panel TV for a while longer. Looks like these new LG's have their issues. I'll wait to see what next year brings. My LG is working like a champ anyways.

Thanks all. :)

Is the LG LNxxxx the only recommended TV for PC usage at the moment? Is there any other recommended brand/model ? Can't find a good deal in Canada for it hmm.

Contacted LG and the technical support had no clue about the problem, oh and did I mention that they ignored the 2 e-mails that I sent them 12 days ago.

It was no surprise either that the official firmware updates for all the LA5700/LA6200/LA6900/LA7400 series available at lg.com are corrupted (you can't even unzip them). When I reported this issue LG said that it would take them at least 3 weeks to re-upload the file (It's the same file for all the LA5700/LA6200/LA6900/LA7400 series and doesn't really take more than 1 hour to fix it).

This was the second LG tv that I bought that had the same issue, now it's back to the store where it belongs. I bought a Samsung UN40EH5300 and haven't had any problems with it, just the cons of no IPS panel that the "smart" lg tvs had.

Last edited:
To all the frustrated Europeans reading this thread.......I am one of you.

Does anyone have any info on the LG 39LN540V regarding 4:4:4 chroma subsampling?

As it stands, the 39LN540V looks to be the closest we got to the N5300 series, but the 39LN540V has MCI 100, (Motion Clarity Index 100), will this have an effect on the image if the TV is used for PC monitor?
Hoping someone knows about this..... :)

thanks!

(edit)

I completely forgot to add that the Euro version, 39LN540V have a confirmed IPS panel in it, atleast, thats what LG writes on their product info.
Link to Danish LG site.
http://www.lg.com/dk/tv/lg-39LN540V - it says IPS panel in the very top of the info text....

/T

Just hooked up my 39" LG LN5300 and it's a keeper. $394.00 including shipping and tax from New Egg (Amazon had it for the same but there was a 2-3 week wait backorder even with Prime.) Microcenter carries it for $429 if you want it local.

Even though this is a 39" it actually takes up a little less desktop real estate-- the bezel is tiny compared to the Westinghouse. The screen has a nice punch to it no amount of adjusting could bring to my old screen, and if it doesn't have an IPS panel LG did a good job disguising the fact.

Connection is DVI to HDMI, and you label the input to "PC" mode (I did "Game" first and that didn't produce sharp text.)

I took it through some hardcore gaming like Candy Crush Saga, Farmville, and Words with Friends and there was no noticeable lag or other ripping problems.

IMO this is an excellent replacement-- it really is is the new Westy.

Looks like they are updating the 5300 series. Bestbuy has the 32 ln5310 for sale today for $279

When using the phoenix software to extract the EDID it comes up with blank?

Is there anyway I can get the numbers without using the phoenix software? Using an LG tv here. If the phonenix software doesn't show the edid, what are my options? Please help I'm going blind with the blurriness of the text!

Last edited:
Is there anyway to override the edid if the phoenix software isn't extracting it?

I'd like to get the pc resolutions to stick with my 580gtx while using my lcd tv. What is another way?

Last edited:
Just last month I purchased a Toshiba 39L1350U and I'm going to hypothesize that it may have same panel as the LG 39LN5300.

First off is the size - both are 39", and TBH I've never heard of a 39" LCD panel before.

Second, according to displaylag.com the Toshiba has 30ms AVG input lag and the LG has 29ms AVG. That 1ms difference could very well be due to the Toshiba having 120hz.

Thirdly, both support 4:4:4 choma over HDMI.

Forth, at least from the images the bezel looks to be exactly the same.

Fifth is the price - the Toshiba was only ~$330 when I got it.

Last edited:
Just curious, but, for Nvidia card users, is the EDID fix still required for 4:4:4?

Are there any good TV's that have low input lag and work at 1080p 120hz under 46"?

Last edited:
Back