Latching Sata Cables FTW!

Kyle,

I'm going to need to do a field test of that latching cable. UPS it over to me here in Fort Worth, and yeah I'll need the Intel SSD in order to reproduce the test.

I agree. It pisses me off when motherboards don't put ports on the motherboard that actually allow you to use these types of cables.-

Nice video.

You're kinda late though, I've been using those for about a year now.
I can't see why they would make SATA cables without latches.

Nice video.

You're kinda late though, I've been using those for about a year now.
I can't see why they would make SATA cables without latches.

I can't either. I myself have been using these for a long time too. However it is one of those little things that we tend to take for granted and not think about too much.

I got 4 UV blue ones with a 915PBL Intel board in a retail edge bundle. They are great for LAN boxes. I think every board I've bought since has come with them.

Only problem is some of them, in certain connectors, can be rediculously difficult to unlatch. I'm talking "Hey Bob, hand me those needle nose." difficult.

My Abit IP35 Pro came with those latching kind and even a recent cheapo $60 Gigabyte board I bought came with two of those nice cables too!

They are a godsend! SO much nicer then those old cables.

Kinda scared me when you dropped that Intel SSD drive.. :p

I got 4 UV blue ones with a 915PBL Intel board in a retail edge bundle. They are great for LAN boxes. I think every board I've bought since has come with them.

Only problem is some of them, in certain connectors, can be rediculously difficult to unlatch. I'm talking "Hey Bob, hand me those needle nose." difficult.

I had that board. Man that thing was solid.

i got green locking sata cables for my icy dock hot swaps ...

i found that 2 out of the 4 connectors on the icy docks dont lock so they constantly fall out

i also found that with a little bit of force i can rip the sata connector clean off of the motherboard

i was forced to rip the locking piece off of the motherboard end of all my sata cables to avoid ripping the sata connectors off again ...

Something a lot of you guys forget when we post news items like this on the front page is that we KNOW that the enthusiast crowd probably knows about some of these things, it is the thousands of regular Joe readers that come to the [H] that might not know about these items.

Besides, I think the videos are pretty slick way to put a more personal touch on news items and products blurbs like this without having to write a 10 page review on latching SATA cables.

Love the videos. The best part is actually hearing the different pronunciations of the various computer terms we've all seen a million times in print but rarely get to hear spoken out loud.

BTW, does anyone else find it curious that Kyle pronounces SATA as "say-ta" but when it comes to IDE he spells it out "Eye Dee Eee"? Shouldn't he say "Eye'd"? :confused:

For all you "I have known about those forever" guys that feel the need to post and flaunt their cabling e-penis, just remember that while you were building that box, the rest of us were out getting drunk and blown. ;)

Seriously, I was shooting something else and it seemed like a good 3 minute segment because I KNOW a lot of folks are not aware of them.

Something a lot of you guys forget when we post news items like this on the front page is that we KNOW that the enthusiast crowd probably knows about some of these things, it is the thousands of regular Joe readers that come to the [H] that might not know about these items.

Besides, I think the videos are pretty slick way to put a more personal touch on news items and products blurbs like this without having to write a 10 page review on latching SATA cables.

QFT.

Just the other day I was talking with someone and they were complaining about their SATA cables falling out. I had to enlighten him about these.

I've been using these for quite a while now. I refuse to use anything else.

HardOCP delivers again. 2-4 come with various Gigabyte boards, usually get 2 on ds3l/ds3r ( 1 being 90degree bend) and get 4 with x38/48 boards ( 2 being 90 degrees)

I had to laugh at the last line.
Evidently I'm cheating myself by not building a pc capable of being swung around my head like I'm trying to lasso a steer.
:D

Love the videos. The best part is actually hearing the different pronunciations of the various computer terms we've all seen a million times in print but rarely get to hear spoken out loud.

BTW, does anyone else find it curious that Kyle pronounces SATA as "say-ta" but when it comes to IDE he spells it out "Eye Dee Eee"? Shouldn't he say "Eye'd"? :confused:

I actually wrote a song about it say-ta / sa-ta but decided you did not won't to hear it. Then it went into this big rant about how I wanted to kick the guys ass that designed the original Sata plugs....and how I wanted to buy the latching Sata guy a beer....and how I thought that maybe I should go by and get the latching Sata guy first because I was sure he would want to get in some punches on original Sata plug dude. Crack is whack.

No one will respond because everyone knows you'll just poof or ban them if their comeback is better than your putdown. Not a fair fight ;)

Na, this is all in fun here bro. You have to go off like a moron in video cards for that to happen.

I hate latching SATA cables, I used a latching SATA cable on my USB to IDE converter and it is STUCK. Now I cant remove it :(

Sorry Kyle, not a fan of the cables. I bought a mobo for someone which had those cables and had several plugged in. I was already used to the old style and had problems. I tried to remove the middle one and broke off the SATA socket off the mobo. With the old style, I've had one cable that wouldn't stay connected i just used masking tape to put it in place until I replaced it with a new cable. And now, I recently upgraded a new mobo/cpu and got those latching SATA cables. I just chucked them. I got a supply of the oldies and put those on.... and workin great. No slips unless I want it to.

But hey, if it floats your boat, go with it. Glad ya fixed your problem.

Abit had been shipping those for years. But nobody liked Abit. :(

[H] video - sweet! :D

Shuttle barebones systems also come with latching cables - though I replaced those orange cables with black ones, cuz everybody knows black electronics are faster.

I may upgrade to silver cables at some point, since silver is faster yet :p

Ps. for those not a fan of latching cables, that bit of metal slides out. If you have one that's stuck, double check the alignment.

My EVGA board came with a bundle of these and they work great. Only thing is, the SATA power cables from my Corsair PSU slide out very easily so I wouldn't mind seeing a latching system on those.

Thanks to the half dozen or more 680i SLI boards still floating around my house I've got a healthy supply of those cables.Odd that the motherboard came with latching SATA cables but the boards don't make use of the latching feature of the cables. Their ports are the older type.

They may work for you, they may not. But that is why we are here, to share our opinions. :) Fun/easy video to make. And I was changing a bunch of stuff around in my case and twice ended up with Sata cables that were not inserted. I will put the latched variety in my own box next time for sure. But they work fine here on the test bench. I THINK the problem with them is when you go to pull them out and do not have the latch fully depressed, which inside a case would be easy to do. Then the little ears would anchor into the plastic....

Hurray for [H]ard|OCPTV!

I have comments!

There HAS to be a totally rad sound effect to go along with the [H]ard|OCPTV logo as it flies in. Maybe something with a pew pew quality to it. Also lasers. Laser sounds are rad.

Kyle's arms are super camera friendly. All the time he spends installing hardware and lifting
heavy PC cases has kept his arms well toned.

The next segment should be scripted more thoroughly. Seemed like Kyle was just winging it
and there were some pauses (or dead air) between sentences.

Hurray for [H]ard|OCPTV!

The next segment should be scripted more thoroughly. Seemed like Kyle was just winging it and there were some pauses (or dead air) between sentences.

I shot that totally by the seat of my pants. No script, no real forethought. Just went with it and edited quickly. Did it all in less than 40 mintues. A good editor (someone other than myself) could have done wonders with my Ahhhs and Mmmss, but I need to make mental notes to stop that shit.

Ya those are awsome. My Abit IP 35-E came with those. I think those should be like a standard.

say-ta
blu-ray-ta
wtf-ta????:eek:
Anyway.......Gigabyte has been giving these out since my first board of theirs.....a 965P-DS3...........using it right now-ta.

My only gripe is some MB ports don't like the latch and won't fit...........then you have to go running around the house looking for an old ASUS box that has some of the red ones.

anyone else notice kyles hands look really really old?

Well, I am really old. 41 next month.

I worked on shrimp boats in the Gulf of Mexico till I was 22. Have been a welder's apprentice, and various other jobs that are not skin friendly. And I also worked at a job that had me in and out of petro-chem plants for a decade long engagement before I got into webpages... That and I have been spending 4 days a week in the sun coaching football lately. :eek:

god damn it, i was trying to give kyle like a complex like a woman and such but he took it as a comliment GOD DAMN IT!

*goes back to scheming*

nice video BTW

You guys might benefit a bit by compressing the audio a bit. It sounds good, but I did need to turn up my main mixer up about 50% to get a decent level. Just a thought! (and I can give you advice on how to do this if needed)

Back