Lagoa Multiphysics 1.0

I agree, simply Wow!

Does make you wonder what kind processors are needed to handle that. But wow....

It'll be awesome when physics in games gets to be that good for the *entire* renderred scene, and not just a few select objects.

Much less impressive because it's hardly a real time render, but cool to watch.

Even the more simple example was rendering at 3 to 7 frames per second, in their program.

It'll be awesome when physics in games gets to be that good for the *entire* renderred scene, and not just a few select objects.

Agreed. I can't wait for an Arma or Ghost Recon game where EVERYTHING is destructable, bullets have realistic drop, penatration, etc.

Yeah, but when I see demos like this I can't help but think, "How many years until we have this in games?" Can't come soon enough.

I would say 5 years at the rate we are going. Doing this for the entire map in real time is going to be a bitch on memory.

Yeah, but when I see demos like this I can't help but think, "How many years until we have this in games?" Can't come soon enough.

The problem is still that this kind of thing uses loads of processor cycles. The demo is a plug in which as IRSmurf said isnt a realtime render. If you look at the parts they are playing with it, it's only a few hundred points, yet the full motion elements are all fully rendered. This kind of thing is coming, but we need some boots in processor speeds to make this viable. GPU's being more general purpose (like CUDA etc.) help a long way towards this!

I always kind of take a step back and laugh that we make such a huge deal about simulating something we can walk outside and see. :p Look, it falls just like something in real life! I remember showing this to my parents a looonggg time ago and they just didn't get how cool it was because of what I just mentioned. A sign of things to come!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtCW-axRJV8

I think the line between the physics for games and animations/movies will begin to blur at some point here.

I would love to see some of the cloth rederings appear in games, so much more fluid and natural.

Looks like Ubisoft has a very talented guy on their staff. Hopefully his involvement already in the gamer world brings this tech sooner to us!

I always kind of take a step back and laugh that we make such a huge deal about simulating something we can walk outside and see. :p Look, it falls just like something in real life! I remember showing this to my parents a looonggg time ago and they just didn't get how cool it was because of what I just mentioned. A sign of things to come!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtCW-axRJV8

That still reminds me of those 90's rave videos.

This demo is a bug, and shouldnt be running with out a Nvidia card!

I always kind of take a step back and laugh that we make such a huge deal about simulating something we can walk outside and see. :p

Yea, but can I go outside and shoot an RPG into the next house just for the hell of it? :D

Another example of exquisite physics that would drag your computer to a crawl if you enable it in game.

Anyone else notice the extreme lack of friction in the first few demos? The dirt was acting like water instead of using the higher friction dirt has.

Much less impressive because it's hardly a real time render, but cool to watch.

Even the more simple example was rendering at 3 to 7 frames per second, in their program.

Pretty much. It's cool, but we're not going to see it in a practical gaming use for many, many years, if ever, most likely.

Anyone else notice the extreme lack of friction in the first few demos? The dirt was acting like water instead of using the higher friction dirt has.

yeah, though I thought of it as sand. the truth is that as neat as it is its still not lifelike. still pretty awesome though

Advanced cloth and fluid simulation eh. Illusion software games will never be the same again lol:p

Question: Does this use an existing physics engine like PhysX or Havok? Or is this an entirely new engine itself? Would be nice to know requirements and since existing physics engines like PhysX work well but honestly I havent seen Physx look this nice except when used in the new Fermi Demos with the hair and clothing. Those physics demos look comparable.

I give it 10 years before a normal pc can do this in a game at a good framerate.

Looks sweet for pre-rendered stuff tho!

How long before Team Ninja uses this stuff for breast physics? Anyone who's ever played dead or alive would understand what im getting at :D

Back