L5640 hex + 470, ppd??

Vaulter98c

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2009
OK, well since I dont think I'll be able to snag another l5640 anytime soon I'm gonna run it in my gamer rig I think. Question is, at 3.5Ghz, what could I look for points wise from smp12 (regular) and a 470? and advice on the setup? Its my gamer rig so I cant Bigadv it, but I still wanna make some good points

I'm not going to bother with GPU folding when I set mine up. Just going to install my old 4850 and use it for everything but folding.

But they are doing big adv... I'm not going to do big units, so my loses should be much smaller tho right?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I did a little research last night on my 4GHz 980X box (standard -smp flag, using 12 threads) with a GTX 285. It's running a P2686, so it should see the maximum hit on the bigadv PPD side from the GPU. Standard SMP should see less of a hit to PPD.

With GPU:
CPU = 55K PPD (23:08 TPF)
GPU = 9K PPD
Total = 64K PPD

Idle GPU:
CPU = 60K PPD (21:30 TPF)

So I get 4K more overall by running the GPU and letting it fight with SMP for processing time. I could probably get more if I overclocked the GPU. However, I'm running the GPU2 client, and Fermi cards may be different. Still, I would suggest testing various configurations in your own system.

I heard Fermi cards eat more resources than the older cards, explaining why it's not a good idea to run bigadv with a Fermi.

Yeah but Vaulter will not be running bigadv. I suggest trying the GPU and seeing what the points look like. Since if it's not a dedicated folding box, the GPU should give you more consistent PPD day to day. However, if you break even on PPD with and without the GPU, then don't run it and save on your power bill.

Vaulter98c how many hours a day do you game? if its under 6 hours and folding doesnt hurt your game play run bigadv. i play civilization IV 6-8 hours a game still do great output

I did a little research last night on my 4GHz 980X box (standard -smp flag, using 12 threads) with a GTX 285. It's running a P2686, so it should see the maximum hit on the bigadv PPD side from the GPU. Standard SMP should see less of a hit to PPD.

With GPU:
CPU = 55K PPD (23:08 TPF)
GPU = 9K PPD
Total = 64K PPD

Idle GPU:
CPU = 60K PPD (21:30 TPF)

So I get 4K more overall by running the GPU and letting it fight with SMP for processing time. I could probably get more if I overclocked the GPU. However, I'm running the GPU2 client, and Fermi cards may be different. Still, I would suggest testing various configurations in your own system.

My results were similar, but a little worse with a fermi card

No GPU
CPU - 21:08 - 63K ppd

GPU, no advmethods
CPU - 23.45 - 53K ppd
GPU - 11K ppd
Total - 64K ppd

GPU w/ advmethods
CPU - 24:15 - 50K ppd
GPU - 14.5K ppd
Total - 64.5K ppd

So while this box did put out more total ppd with a GPU, the 1.5K maximum is just not worth the electricity to run the card. It was quite a bit better with -smp 11 and locking the GPU process to one core and the SMP process to the other 11. If there were no problems with -smp 11, I'd probably have run that way. It will be interesting to see how jebo makes out at -smp 15. There seems to be a point of diminishing returns for core count, where losing one is not as detrimental to performance.

I game maybe an hour or two, every few days lol, but you gotta understand, that's more than Ive done in about a year lol

BF:BC2 got me hooked, good ole BF2 fun mixed with no jet pricks and destruciton engine 2.0, WIN WIN!!!

It is my daily driver tho, if I SMP12 and BigAdv and use it for browsing and what not, wont that hurt my frame times?

It will be interesting to see how jebo makes out at -smp 15.
so far so good. I haven't shut off my GPUs yet to get a baseline CPU score, but I'm getting around 43k ppd on a 2684 and around 73k ppd on a 2686. If I recall I got around 79,000 ppd on a 2686 with no GPUs, so I sacrificed 6k ppd to gain 28k

I'm having pretty good luck with -smp 11 with GPUs on the 2684 I'm currently working on. It's getting 33k ppd with the SMP and both GPUs are getting 11.5k each with the 10632 WUs. The cards were getting loud so I had to dial them back to stock speed.

Once this 2684 finishes I'll try using WinAFC and lock the GPUs to core 0 and let the SMP have the rest. I have WinAFC all configured to go so I'm just waiting on the WU to finish.

Back