• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

L4D vs L4D2

GabooN

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 14, 2004
Messages
401
Finally got my copy over Christmas along with some other [H]ardware goodies, anyway I played about two hours or so and WOW what a step up from L4D. L4D feels like a MOD(I know it originally was) when compared to L4D2, whereas L4D2 feels like what it was sold as a "retail-game". Models are improved, same with animations and I defiantly like these characters better. Graphics are a huge improvement over L4D.. I love the atmosphere of the new one with tents and such setup, biohazard suits it’s great.. A much more thought out environment I think.. Seems a bit easier though but still the fun factor is right on, so far I have only played the first campaign and the demo level parish. I say bring on L4D3 next year!!!

Why would anyone boycott this game? People are funny, why resist change when it plays this good?
 
I really like L4D2, but I wish Valve would include in it the maps from L4D1, which in my view are far superior to those of L4D2.
 
I'm probably going to buy 2 here pretty soon thanks to the sale price. Is there any value to playing the game offline because there are going to be times where that's the situation I'll be in.
 
Maybe they felt like they got ripped off by the first L4D and that buying the sequel might be a waste of money like the first one was. Crazy I know....
 
I feel l4d2 is a great improvement and well worth $30 something its at with the steam holiday sales.
 
Maybe they felt like they got ripped off by the first L4D and that buying the sequel might be a waste of money like the first one was. Crazy I know....

But it's pretty clear that the sequel is loaded, regardless of what happened with part one. Even a fence sitter like me can pick that up.
 
I really like L4D2, but I wish Valve would include in it the maps from L4D1, which in my view are far superior to those of L4D2.

That would have been added value for sure but would have added more time to the development and for me I think this game has a decent amount of value as is. I only played the first campaign in L4D2 and thus far I like it better than any L4D map, including Crash-Course. It flows better and the smoke/fire in the hotel is brilliant.

My only complaint thus far would be a better way of introducing characters/background stories/how they met and why, I would rather play this story then see it as a CGI. Hopefully DLC will combine both and show a better backend story. Whatever created the Zombies are they hinting at H1N!?
 
But it's pretty clear that the sequel is loaded, regardless of what happened with part one. Even a fence sitter like me can pick that up.

How is it clear? Because someone said so on the internets?

The first L4D was hyped to all hell and it sucked rocks in my humble opinion. I'm not going to buy the second one purely based on my experience with the first one. I'd rather spend the money on a ham sandwich or a movie.
 
How is it clear? Because someone said so on the internets?

I can read the reviews, descriptions, a ton of feedback and yeah, basically I can come away with the general idea that the sequel has more going for it than part 1 did or does.

I've never played either of these games.



The first L4D was hyped to all hell and it sucked rocks in my humble opinion.

Why did it "suck rocks" to you? Please be as specific as you can. This is the kind of feedback, both good and bad, that I look out for.
 
Why did it "suck rocks" to you? Please be as specific as you can. This is the kind of feedback, both good and bad, that I look out for.

Boring gameplay. Griefer's paradise. I'm not going to write an essay on it. You asked, I told.
 
I'd rather spend the money on a ham sandwich or a movie.
You'd spend $50 on a ham sandwich?

I can come away with the general idea that the sequel has more going for it than part 1 did or does.
It does. There are more special infected types, more weapon variety (thankfully), more scenic variety and an overall better presentation. If L4D is a basic, no-frills cooperative shooter (which it pretty much is), L4D2 is a full-featured cooperative shooter.

Basically, if you're one of those guys who pumped a hundred hours in Quake III, you'll have no trouble getting your money's worth out of L4D2. If you get bored quickly, or have the attention span of a frog, you may be displeased with L4D2. It's not one of those games that's designed to force entertainment down your throat -- you have to chew it and swallow it yourself.
 
You'd spend $50 on a ham sandwich?

If somebody put a gun to my head and told me to buy a $50 ham sandwich or L4D, I'd go with the sandwich. It's not that there aren't still-better uses for $50 ...
 
If somebody put a gun to my head and told me to buy a $50 ham sandwich or L4D, I'd go with the sandwich. It's not that there aren't still-better uses for $50 ...

Of course you would it could be your last meal after they shoot you :)....

To each their own of course but I don’t understand how you can’t find L4D(2) entertaining from an online experience, co-op is hands down so of the best around.. It’s one of those few games that rewards you to play corporately and punishes you when you don’t.
 
The Versus in L4D2 is A LOT more fun. It's not quite as formulaic as the first one is. Scavenge is great, too.

Well worth the $30 I spent.
 
played l4d2 and i'd say i can never go back to l4d1, the imbalance is clear now between survivors and infected, smoker hunter boomer is not enough.
 
played l4d2 and i'd say i can never go back to l4d1, the imbalance is clear now between survivors and infected, smoker hunter boomer is not enough.

While I have yet to play L4D2 in VERSUS I have logged many hours in L4D and there are certain choke points that as infected if you don’t take advantage of your screwed assuming you had two equally skilled teams, with the new infected I am sure choke points exists but it should be somewhat easier to exploit weaknesses in the survivors tactics.
 
While I have yet to play L4D2 in VERSUS I have logged many hours in L4D and there are certain choke points that as infected if you don’t take advantage of your screwed assuming you had two equally skilled teams, with the new infected I am sure choke points exists but it should be somewhat easier to exploit weaknesses in the survivors tactics.

The main thing I have noticed is that in L4D1 most of your attacks revolved around those choke points, where as in L4D2 they do not. Obviously you still have some spots that are more optimal than others, but just 4 coordinated infected can fudge up the survivors anywhere. In L4D1 there was a lot more of "Lets wait til they get to x spot"

EDIT: If I had one gripe about l4d2, it's that the hunter doesn't seem to move as controlled as in l4d1. Any advanced player would agree with me. I've talked to many people that have noticed it as well. Still, it's livable and by no means a game breaker. Just feels a bit, rougher I guess, for lack of a better word.

I was just talking to my friend about this last night. It seems like you can't pounce as far/high, and just in general the control isn't as fluid.
 
I only wish there was a wider assortment of ranged weapons to use, as well as more special Dead to play in versus.
 
Maybe they felt like they got ripped off by the first L4D and that buying the sequel might be a waste of money like the first one was. Crazy I know....

Thanks for chiming in, If you haven't played the second one your opinion has been invalidated. You are purely speculating on a previous experience with a somewhat similar game. If you feel you got ripped off, hey it happens that's life, people make bad purchases all the time. But hey thanks for trolling left for dead threads griping about how bad the first one was when hey guess what? It isn't the first one.

I have logged on 111 hours since release and paid 45 for it, well worth the money. Expert was challenging and versus included new dynamics that made it very competitive. Using the environment has played out a lot better on both sides as well as the infected combination's and quick reaction time. I don't know if you will like it but if you like coop play and the genre in general then get it.
 
meh
Its a great game. If you like the first one, you will def like the second one.
I cant see how anyone that likes the first one would NOT like the second one.

Its like Streets of Rage 1 and 2.
1 kicked the ass out, 2 was the perfect sequel.

but then again, if you didnt like the first one.......

sheiiit. i still play both. L4D1 for turbo mods, L4D2 for new fun.
 
played l4d2 and i'd say i can never go back to l4d1, the imbalance is clear now between survivors and infected, smoker hunter boomer is not enough.

I actually enjoyed the infected setup in the original quite a lot. Hunter/Hunter/Smoker/Boomer was magical in the right hands. Anyway, L4D2 is a massive improvement over its predecessor. Everything feels better, especially the weapons, the levels are much more balanced, and the new infected address a lot of the previous faults of L4D. Only reason I'd even consider playing the first again is to see the old cast, but Valve is bringing them back in an upcoming patch! Great game for $30 but luckily for me someone gifted it. :p
 
Somehow things got f'ed up with L4D for me when the sequel launched.

I have 106 hours logged on L4D1, and as for L4D2, which I bought day 1, only 2.5 hours. I don't know what happened? I happily played L4D right up till the launch of 2 but the sequel didn't excite me at all. Am I the only one this happened to? I loved L4D. This was the game I dreamed about for many years, but now it's broken. :eek: :(
 
i've only finished 3 of the L4D2 campaigns. Bought it when it was on sale for 29.99 @ Amazon. Maybe it's all the other games, but I just haven't felt the need to go back to it.
 
Of course you would it could be your last meal after they shoot you :)....

To each their own of course but I don’t understand how you can’t find L4D(2) entertaining from an online experience, co-op is hands down so of the best around.. It’s one of those few games that rewards you to play corporately and punishes you when you don’t.

If we could teleport L4D back to 1999-2001 when I was playing TFC/CS/Quake III nonstop I would be all over it. It's not a game I'm interested in playing at this point, but I completely understand why people like it and understand why some people think it's worth what they're charging.
 
Thanks for chiming in, If you haven't played the second one your opinion has been invalidated. You are purely speculating on a previous experience with a somewhat similar game. If you feel you got ripped off, hey it happens that's life, people make bad purchases all the time. But hey thanks for trolling left for dead threads griping about how bad the first one was when hey guess what? It isn't the first one.

I have logged on 111 hours since release and paid 45 for it, well worth the money. Expert was challenging and versus included new dynamics that made it very competitive. Using the environment has played out a lot better on both sides as well as the infected combination's and quick reaction time. I don't know if you will like it but if you like coop play and the genre in general then get it.

ok so I have to buy the game to have an opinion about the game huh? That's a sweet deal for valve i guess. I bet all businesses wish they could get that kind of hand job devotion from their customers.
 
You're entitled to have an opinion about anything you'd like, but don't expect for people to find any value in it if you don't really have the slightest idea about what it is you're talking about. In that case, it's probably better off if you just refrain from posting entirely.

The thread's about how L4D compares to L4D2. If you haven't played the latter, then you have no real basis to form an opinion about how it compares to the former.
 
I love L4D2, I have been playing L4D1 for a loooong time and the improvements excellent. At first I didn't notice it much, it felt like L4D1 but as I ran through the levels and tried out all of the new guns, its appearant this one is much better. It could have been DLC, as I expected it could have been, which is why I waited for it to be $30 before I bought it. Its worth the money. The new infected make VS much more replayable when compared to L4D1, and I played that for about a year now.
 
I love L4D2, I have been playing L4D1 for a loooong time and the improvements excellent. At first I didn't notice it much, it felt like L4D1 but as I ran through the levels and tried out all of the new guns, its appearant this one is much better. It could have been DLC, as I expected it could have been, which is why I waited for it to be $30 before I bought it. Its worth the money. The new infected make VS much more replayable when compared to L4D1, and I played that for about a year now.

When I first played the demo I went right back to L4D, however L4D2 is definitely a more polished game. I don’t think it needed to be DLC as it has massive amounts of additions and improvements they were spot on treating this as a full retail game because that’s what you get. Really when you think about it nothing is really the same or 1:1 copied over, everything has been improved upon, special infected each have new models, weapons are new and improved, levels have changed and additions have been made, infected look and act different and have better models/animations. I still have no idea why anyone would want to boycott this game and as I have said before bring on L4D3 next year!!!
 
Maybe they felt like they got ripped off by the first L4D and that buying the sequel might be a waste of money like the first one was. Crazy I know....

I dropped over 100 hours on the original L4D with my colleagues. We've dropped less than 20 on L4D2 (most in the first 2 nights and we don't even play it anymore) since preordering that 4-pack deal. It just lacks the same appeal and hilarious fun after the first few times using the new infected in versus mode. It's got the same annoying problems stemming from a fucking awful lobby system and ragequit-aholic players in versus who won't stay in a game longer than 10 minutes.
 
L4D2 is without question the better game as far as variety and polish but it has had much less of an impact on me as a gamer than the original. First, I think I liked the feel better in the original in that it seemed more realistic. The hospital and corn field especially were amazing set pieces and really felt plausible.

The new game seems much more campy and farcical. The characters are more like caricatures, the new special infected are less "dark" than the original group. Even the common infected seem cartoony, most notably the clowns. What, you went to work at the carnival when an infection is spreading? Unless the carnival was ground zero it should have been deserted but that's just me being nitpicky.

I've only completed the mall and most of the theme park so far in campaign mode so take that with a grain of salt but they just don't seem like places I'd go in a zombie apocolypse. That said, the maps seem a bit more open than last time around and the director is much improved as far as changing up the experience.

I'm most pleased with the new weapons. They add alot more variety than I thought they would and actually handle much differently. Seems everybody has developed preferences already.

I don't really care for versus mode so I can't comment on that but I'm looking forward to wrapping up the rest of the campaign mode and trying out scavenge and survival.
 
I played one online co-op game in the original game - and hated it. It was just a bunch of teenagers sitting around talking on their headsets and occasionally playing the game. We reached a point where we were about to sound an alarm, which meant that zombies would come pouring in, which meant that we had to prepare. These guys spent literally ten minutes just mucking about. Finally I went over and pressed the damned button myself.

The funny thing is that I finished Left 4 Dead in the solo-mode, and loved it. Playing alongside the computer was way more fun.

Left 4 Dead 2, on the normal setting, is almost impossible if you play with the computer. I'm on the second mission in the first campaign (this is at the mall), and for the life of my I can't get through. I've reached a point where I open one of the doors that leads into the mall, and an alarm sounds off. I'm supposed to race up to the third floor to switch off the alarm, but after no fewer than 5 attempts I've been unable to get there. :(

The second game looks better than the original and is more atmospheric, but if the entire game is as tough as this level is then it might not be as much fun.
 
... even the common infected seem cartoony, most notably the clowns. What, you went to work at the carnival when an infection is spreading? Unless the carnival was ground zero it should have been deserted...

That is beautiful, man. I never would've thought of that. Yeah, the carnival should have been empty. "Oh my god! There's a zombie infection spreading through the populace like wildfire.. oh well, nothing we can do about it, let's go to the carnival."

Then again, maybe the infection spread so quickly that it all happened in just one day?
 
That is beautiful, man. I never would've thought of that. Yeah, the carnival should have been empty. "Oh my god! There's a zombie infection spreading through the populace like wildfire.. oh well, nothing we can do about it, let's go to the carnival."

Then again, maybe the infection spread so quickly that it all happened in just one day?

Maybe this is the reason behind Valve never explaing in detail how the hell this zombie apocalypse happen because we will always be guessing.. I still think it’ H1N1 Vaccine gone wrong type deal. Also based on that logic why would any zombie be in a hazard suit or riot gear, me thinks it’s because the “virus” hit and spread like wildfire isn’t that how all zombies movies/games are. I would love to know why the “special infected” came to be and why did this “virus” change them into something different??

The lobby system is simple/easy to use and it works for consoles and pc thats why Valve uses it. Rage Quit will never be fixed and if you punish people for doing it they will stop playing.
 
Left 4 Dead 2, on the normal setting, is almost impossible if you play with the computer. I'm on the second mission in the first campaign (this is at the mall), and for the life of my I can't get through. I've reached a point where I open one of the doors that leads into the mall, and an alarm sounds off. I'm supposed to race up to the third floor to switch off the alarm, but after no fewer than 5 attempts I've been unable to get there. :(


It is beatable with the bots on normal. At that particular spot in the game the best strategy with the bots for me is to heal up prior if you are below 70 health, and use an adrenalin shot when you open the door. Use one of the automatics til you need to reload and then switch to melee weapons running like hell the whole time til you can kill the alarm on theupper level. The hoard will not stop til you kill the alarm.
 
Back
Top