kyle pwns ati hah nice job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nauseous

Gawd
Posted by Kyle 6:19 PM (CDT)
"ATI CrossFire MIA:
There has been a lot of hoopla about ATI and their CrossFire master cards lately, and I figured I would drop my 2 cents about all of this. Let me start by saying that we checked today with one of the Nets largest online computer parts retailers and they explained to me that they did not anticipate having stock on ATI CrossFire Master cards till November. Now keep in mind this is a mere 5 to 6 (depending how you count) MONTHS after their initial introduction of the product back in May...of this year.

Instead of waxing on for pages, I am going to cut to the chase and say what everyone is thinking and what many of us in the technology press are feeling.

1. ATI, HardOCP is not your personal PR bitch, so don't treat us like one again. You're on thin ice and you should be ashamed of your actions this year. We at HardOCP don't want to be a mouthpiece for vaporware in order to keep your stock price up. So from now on, if it is not the real deal, just keep it to yourself.

2. Continue with the "If NVIDIA does it, we can do it too!" methodology that has been working for you guys for a while now. But from now on, keep a tighter timeline.

3. Repeat after me. Paper launches, NO. Product launches, YES.

4. NVIDIA is setting the new standard by having their card builders selling the products on the day that they are launched. Learn it, know it, live it. And NVIDIA, don't change up on us now.

The bottom line is that the enthusiast hardware community wants products, not Canuck promises. ATI is quickly burning through a solid and loyal fan base that they built back in the days of the 9700/9800. Now is the time for ATI to step up with honest damage control, not another half filled basket of half baked promises.

And oh yeah, Quake 4 just went Gold. WooHoo! I think I just found a reason to go ahead and go SLI. (Always been a big Quake fan...) Too bad CrossFire is not a real option, although I am unsure whether or not I would consider it at this time, just due to having a fear of lacking support and service by ATI."

sorry, but this deserves its own thread.

serves ATI right, they made alot of respected reviewers around the web that promised "hard launch from ATI" look like idiots and liars

I hate to admit it but he is right, ATi has let us all down, and unless r520 will be real good and worth the wait my next card wil lbe nvidia.

i guess we wont see a review of the 1800xt before it's available in the shops then, otherwise Kyle would be ati's pr bitch again :eek:

kyle hit the nail on the head. i was a huge ati fan for many years,and this time i went nvidia. i hated to do it, but ati really screwed up this go around.

Its pretty Sad that ATI has been screwing up like this lately.
I hate idiotic Top Brass.

Wow. I didn't expect to see that on the front page. Kyle's usually blunt and honest, but SWEET JEBUS. He really stuck it to them on that one.

Last time Kyle did this was when Nvidia was blatently lowering image quality 3 years ago for speed. Worked then, lets see what happens.

Zoio said:
I r teh n00b YEAAAA!! :-p

indifferent.gif

What's up when the countdown get's to zero? are they gonna start it over? :p

ATI has really dropped the ball on crossfire. They deserve all the negativity aimed at them in my opinion.

This is so funny...every hardware reviewer is getting pissed and is putting nails in ati's coffin.

Oh well...just a matter of time till ati does one of three things.

#1 get them self outa this shit hole there in.

#2 or they go under like 3dfx did.

#3 become low end like intels graphic's

[RIP]Zeus said:
This is so funny...every hardware reviewer is getting pissed and is putting nails in ati's coffin.

Oh well...just a matter of time till ati does one of three things.

#1 get them self outa this shit hole there in.

#2 or they go under like 3dfx did.

#3 become low end like intels graphic's

ATi started in low end high volume OEM sales. That's their roots. Ultimately that's what makes the most money. Remember Intel is the worlds largest graphics chipset provider. There are more integrated Intel video chips in PC's today than all the nVidia and ATi chips combined. ATi is still too large right now to go under like 3DFX did. 3DFX had a long history of poor management decisions, and wasted income. Such as buying STB and trying to become your own board maker. That was the worst decision they ever made..Combine that with missappropriated funds and unethical accounting practices and eventually they folded.

ATi is not in that position. Yes they've had some execs cooking the books a little bit, but nothing on 3DFX's level. Now a couple more years of this BS and then they will be in serious trouble. For now, they are only shooting themselves in the foot with the enthusiest crowd. Which is the smallest market segment they have to deal with.

If ATi called off R520 and Crossfire everythng, and just went back to OEM sales, they'd still survive. I would be willing to bet that their console deals are more important financially then what they'd get out of X1800XT sales.

Cheers to Kyle for NOT being a politically correct puss!

The [H]ard truth wins fans, take a lesson ATi!

Kyle thank you. You rule!! Hopefully ati will listen and learn from their mistake.

Here in canada we dont take kindly to people who make fun of us... :D

If Kyle is saying that hardocp isnt their pr bitch, what will happen with the x1800xt launch/review in 2 days? Ati said themselves it wont be available till november.

"The bottom line is that the enthusiast hardware community wants products, not Canuck promises."

First post, I usually just read the forums on tech help and such, which I do find helpful. Anywho, I just dont get why Kyle has to say "canuck promises". How about "ATi promises"? I dont know, something better than Canuck, sorta sounds like he's pointing out all Canadians (I am Canadian btw). Dont flame me, Im just reading as is.

Kyle - I said "Canuck Promises" because they are a Canadian company and they have been making lots of promises they have not been keeping. If you are stupid enough to think that is a flame on an entire country, well then, I am sorry to offend your gentle sensibilities.

It's for posts like the one Kyle put up today that make [H] my primary tech sites; I appreciate it when the people that run the big sites actually say something critical. I'm sick and tired to seeing reviewers thrash a piece of technology, only to recommend it in the conclusions. Kyle's honesty ensures that I keep coming back because I think he genuinely ensures that honest reviews are put up, whereas I don't get that same feeling from most of the other tech review sites.

Kyle - ATI is still telling us that certain cards will be available at launch, but trust us, we will be checking to see if you can buy any of them anywhere the morning of the launch.

OK, this is seriously the reason I still view this webpage after years. I am tired of everyone kissin manufacturer's asses. Thank god there are people who still take risks. This is what makes this country great.

So sad, used to think so highly of Ati back when I had my 9800pro.

Good on you Kyle... ATi needs to stop beating around the bush, and stealing the counter idea from nV was pretty low IMO...

Kyle - Well, there is a lot of truth to it whether you think it is "low" or not. I stick to my words.

Harsh Kyle, but I'm glad to see that we have review sites that are true to their roots and actually tell it how it is. I don't wanna hate on ATi even though I like nVidia better, but with all of this outside dongle business having problems with resolutions and refresh rates (not to mention looking like shit) and having master/slave cards, trying to find the crossfire motherboards, and the soon to be released on paper (maybe hardware? pfsh :p) X1800 series...it's not looking too good. I'd personally like to see the X1800XT be available in large quantites on launch day and be faster than my 7800GTX to give nVidia some fierce comeptition and show everyone they're not asleep at the switch...but at this juncture, I don't see Crossfire even being comperable to SLi for at least another year, unless this dongle situation gets fixed and the X1800 series comes out in large quantities....otherwise it'll just be a product for the ATi die-hards.

Just a few pennies to rub together..

Continue with the "If NVIDIA does it, we can do it too!" methodology that has been working for you guys for a while now. But from now on, keep a tighter timeline.

Ouch, that makes it sound like ATi never does anything original. But we'll see if Kyle still sings that tune in a couple days.....

The question is, will Kyle go ahead and do an X1800XT review next week when its well known that it won't be available in stores until November at the earliest (with X1800XL available in Oct)

harsh...but well said. Didn't read a thing I did not agree with. Let's see if ATI does something about it...

Mr. Miyagi said:
It's just going to go back up again. ;)
rofl, that reminded me of a water polo game where the shotclock was messed up for some reason, itd go down to 0 and start counting its way back up again. we were so confused.

Yay to Kyle for saying how it is. But I suggest leaving the Canuck promises thing out, thats a barb meant for all Canadians, not jjust ATI. Hell, im an American and even I noticed it.

DangerIsGo said:
Kyle = 1
ATi = 0
verbal rants over the internet make you pwn someone? :confused: :rolleyes:

im sure kyle just wants to get ait a hop in their step to get back in the line of fire and make their investers happy.......his rant reminds me of Everquest, if anyone played and always read Furor's rants from Fires of Heaven?

seems every time he ranted, GM's would change it for some odd reason :p he did have a big following, much like hard forums

my opinion.......it was uncalled for.......you can rant all day about a company, but at the end of the day, im sure a good 100-400 ati cards sold today in one way or another, new and used........this isnt the end of ati, ALL companies go through it

its called making the people who pay you happy.......

if i were kyle i wouldnt rant.......unless he was really really hoping to score a card for his new rig, i think it was kinda pointless and doesnt help the situation

im by no means an ati freek, i just really, cant cant cant cant stand green pcb any more, there for i pretty much stick with ati, plus i know about their cards more so than nvida, so i stick with ati, and yes i know nvida has some other color pcb's from other companies

once the cards are released, and new benchmarking is done with crossfire im sure the mood will change, investers will be happy, dev's will be proud of what theyve done, and we will all come home and some of you might even order some

companies go down, companies come up.........the drama should stop........the threads about drama and knowing its flame bait should stop, this is the worst subforum to post in, or to make a thread in

ive seen 3-5 threads get jacked by ati/nvida lovers.........but anyway my rants over with, thats my OPINION, not flamebait, not hating, nothing but my opinion, thanks for reading, hope it brought you to tears and you go to sleep better men.........and women

soulsaver

My two cents,

Kyle makes a lot of valid points, but also kinda sticks his foot in his mouth as far as the canuck comment goes. That is uncalled for and i for one dont think that bids well for him as far as being "brutally honest or credible" is concerned. When i hear slang like that,even though he is credible to my understanding, he is also losing some respect.

On to the ati bashing, once again, let them do what they want and run their company how they want. I really dont care how long i have to wait, they can promise,lie,cheat,steal, as long as i get the best product for my money in the end. That is all that really matters, and im sure they will eventually address any concerns people have about their product.

Yes, agreed. ATI is sucking big time right now, but no need to generalize to all Canadians. Canuck promises are usually solid. Anyway, I'm pretty sure ATI will turn themselves around. They made a couple bonehead decisions, but which company hasn't? They deserve all criticism, but this is by no means the nail in their coffin.

soulsaver_8229 said:
i just really, cant cant cant cant stand green pcb any more, there for i pretty much stick with ati, plus i know about their cards more so than nvida, so i stick with ati, and yes i know nvida has some other color pcb's from other companies

Hey Jimmy, remember the other day when you asked me how a person ruins credibility in their own statements?

I think it was well said, and it's definately something that ATi should hear and do something about. I didn't want to see another paper launch out of ATi, but that's exactly what they're doing- again.

This time though, it sounds a little desperate. I'm sure the higher ups at ATi were trying to find a happy medium between paper launching the cards while the technology's fresh, or stockpiling cards and letting them get old. Every day they don't launch, they lose sales; at least with a paper launch, they might give some people a reason to postpone their upgrade for a couple of weeks to get ATi's new cards. So, in a twisted manner, ATi is doing this to soften the blow they've gotten from launching so late.

Oh and not all Canadians are paper-launching, get-free-PR-from-review-sites scum. Some of them are mountees. :D

tranCendenZ said:
The question is, will Kyle go ahead and do an X1800XT review next week when its well known that it won't be available in stores until November at the earliest (with X1800XL available in Oct)

Not if ATi has anything to say about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back