KT-600 Case

Just a heads up on on a few things I've tried. Forget about the LCD. It doesn't last long. My kept freaking out after every restart. I ditched the cables and left the display in. As for fans, I was able to use 120x120x20. They have a low and medium speed. You can get them for $3.95 with the stock option. They seem to be repetitively quiet and move a lot of air. I'm doing some testing on temps and setups. I would post some pics but haven't figured that out yet.http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=36_408&products_id=22997

Oooooh, I had an good idea that the fit would be really close! ..glad to hear that us KT-400 / KT-600 users now have a few choices when it comes to 120mm fans! ..outstanding news!

Case043.jpg
[/IMG]Refer to page 2 for fan link. We'll that didn't work lets try it again.

I got a set of three different sizes at Harbor Freight. You can probably find them a Lowes or Home Depot but you'll probably pay for it. I think I got mine for under $ 9.00. These are made for sheet metal.

Harbor Freight it a great resource for the hobbiest. I've spent way too much money in that place. lol

Took a page from wowcro's book on the KT-400 thread. I prefer the round cut outs and the edging. No offense officermartinez. Budget build and edging is cheaper than mesh. I wasn't lucky enough to find a hole saw so a jigsaw did the trick.
Case.jpg

Thanks for compliment. This is my first hack job.
For those who plan on using a jigsaw to cut holes, don't start and finish where the to holes nearly meet. The metal will be too thin and you'll have a hard time making the last inch or so cut

Took a page from wowcro's book on the KT-400 thread. I prefer the round cut outs and the edging. No offense officermartinez. Budget build and edging is cheaper than mesh. I wasn't lucky enough to find a hole saw so a jigsaw did the trick.

Hey Thunderbird.. I like it. No offense taken : ) ..It's all about what suits your needs and individualistic / artistic representation! Looks like you are "representin' like a mo-fo! ..hehe.

Whomever is modding this, can I ask for some tool/equipment advice?

The case this replaced is at least 7 years old. and has been decommissioned due to lack of airflow. Perfect for case modding correct? My last attempt at case modding was a failure due to lack of tools to make the job easy.

The case in question is a DIGN (I have no model or anything). The whole case top and sides are one piece and comes off easily as it does not screw on to the bottom chassis. Overall the case is great quality, it just is dated and needs some airflow. (I will take pictures later).

Tools I have:
Dremel XPS400 with the standard kit:
-What extra bits would be nice to have with this? Reinforced bits etc.

Ryobi 18v Hammer Drill
- A slew of bits, however I could definitely use info on what is suggested for use for drilling fan holes and the bit needed for increasing the size of holes that are pre-existing.

Stores that are nearby:
-Harbor Freight
-Northern Tools
-Ace
-Home Depot
-Lowes

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Perfect for case modding correct?
Oh yes. Even the best Lian Li's are moddable, haha :)

Dremel XPS400 with the standard kit:
-What extra bits would be nice to have with this?
For the plastic parts those little sanding barrels are perfect. You can really carve well; take off a lot or do fine contouring work. Also, the fiber reinforced cutting discs are great. They don't get chewed up as quickly as the little grinding disks (tan or brown in color). They are blackish in color and have a grid pattern on them.

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I highly recommend Harbor Freight. The philosophy "right tool for the job" is great unless you don't have all the tools at the moment. And modding can require a little of different tools to do it right/easily. But that doesn't mean you have to go buy them all at one. You can always make do with less. There are a few tools I would suggest adding to your arsenal:

1. Angle grinder w/ cutting, grinding and sanding disc. Great for heavy cuts and finishing. $20 or less. Though intimidating to some who are familiar with power tools, the angle grinder is very handy when modding. Some may protest. But you can make all sorts of cuts with ease using these. And attaching different disks will allow you to you use it in different ways. For example: I did pretty much this entire mod with an angle grinder, including cutting 120mm and 140mm holes for the fans. except for the plastic parts which I did with a Dremel.

2. Set of files; a must for any modder and usually a set for less than $8. Round, flat, square, fine, coarse, small, big. You'll find a use for all of them, usually for refining and cleaning up some of your cuts.

3. Pop rivet gun; also another must for any modder; usually less than $8 w/ rivets. Most cases are assembled using pop rivets and often times you're going to want to remove these rivets to disassemble the case for modding. And what's it's said and done you're going to want to put it back together. Or your going to want to add on something you created/modded. Pop rivets are great for this because they hold well, don't require nuts and bolts and taps for threading, and they look pretty decent too. So pick up a pop rivet gun and an assortment of pop rivets (aluminum, usually 3/16" or so in diameter).

Dremel cutting wheels; as aforementioned. Black in color and with a grid pattern. Fiber reinforced.

Cutting large diameter holes
Everybody has a different approach to cutting large diameter hole for fans (which has got to be the most common mod EVER).
- If you have a drill press, this one is pretty straight forward, quick and easy.
- If all you have is a dremel or small rotary tool, it's a little more arduous, but still pretty simple.
- Many prefer to use a hole cutting saw attached to a power drill. This works pretty well, even though most hole saws aren't meant for steel.
- I usually cut my larger holes with the angle grinder. I make several slices through my drawn circle, like spokes on a wheel, then cut out all the little triangle pieces then clean up with the hole with the grinder as seen here and here.

As you mod more and more you'll gather a collection of tools. Many already have tons of tool because of other hobbies or line of work. Some modders make do with the bare minimum. To make modding fun and a little easier and the quality of work better, it does make a different having the right tool. Ultimately, my advice is buy it as you need it.

Good luck with your modding!

I have had a few of the regular ones break on me with smaller projects here and there.

I have had a few of the regular ones break on me with smaller projects here and there.

Yeah... they'll do that from time to time. Especially those really brittle ones that come in large quantities with your dremel. As far as the carbide one you referred to. It does do a good job at short cuts on sheet metal and small gauge stuff. But rather than break like other disks when it snags/jams, it's going to bend/warp. You can usually work them back into shape, but they're never the same after a snag/jam.

Again, I do my large cuts with an angle grinder because it cuts like a hot knife through butter; quick, easy and clean. Then I do my smaller finish cuts and trimming with the dremel and those black cutting wheels.

Dremel 1-1/4 in. Fiberglass - Reinforced Cut-Off Wheels 5 Pack - $7.48 EA
I ordered this x2 from Amazon for $7.60 EA

Oh and today I turn on the KT-600 and the little LCD is dead. So it seems to be pretty consistent. I didn't expect much from it and didn't really use it, but found it more amusing than anything else.

Oh and today I turn on the KT-600 and the little LCD is dead. So it seems to be pretty consistent. I didn't expect much from it and didn't really use it, but found it more amusing than anything else.

ShepsCrook, did you get a chance to snap a photo of your RF adapter yet? I also received what looks like an internal, non-USB variety in mine. Curious exactly what the differences are and even how to use it.

Completely forgot to last night while I had it open. I will get that shot this evening.

It's a 4 pin connection that has 2 ground and 2 other types.

hey sheps crook, you said the LCD was dead? i got mine last week but didnt get a chance to boot up yet, waiting on my gigabyte mobo. is there a way to test the power supply without the mobo installed?

If you have a PSU tester then yes, you can test it without a motherboard.

i need help im a total noob this is my first builld..I have the kt 600 but am lost on how to install the ir receiver if any one can guide me in the right direction it would be great

i need help im a total noob this is my first builld..I have the kt 600 but am lost on how to install the ir receiver if any one can guide me in the right direction it would be great

If its a USB header on the end of your IR receiver, then you will simply plug that header straight to the USB pins on your motherboard. If your IR receiver has a standard USB plug, you will have to run that USB plug out of the back of your case and into a standard USB available open slot (such was the case with my KT-400 IR plug).

If its a USB header on the end of your IR receiver, then you will simply plug that header straight to the USB pins on your motherboard. If your IR receiver has a standard USB plug, you will have to run that USB plug out of the back of your case and into a standard USB available open slot (such was the case with my KT-400 IR plug).

Thanks for your timely reply. I figured that part out ..But my main problem right now is that windows wont recognize the receiver do you know the manufactuer of this so that i can at least download drivers for this no instuctions or driver cd came with this build i recieved from ebay a few days ago.Every thing else works fine I have been pulling my hair out trying to get this thing to work. By the way it does say Top Seed on the IR card but no luck finding anything thanks

FYI - If interested, take a look at the Ebay listings. There is always one Buy-It-Now or Best Offer listing for this case. I put in an offer of $57 and the seller countered with $60 and I accepted. I see most people bidding on these are paying more than that.

Back